Running and dog frustrations

atpeace

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cambodians put those agressive dogs on the menu ....

buy a machete or go for the special funky chicken

The canine IQ test results are in: Even the average dog has the mental abilities of a 2-year-old child.

The finding is based on a language development test, revealing average dogs can learn 165 words (similar to a 2-year-old child), including signals and gestures, and dogs in the top 20 percent in intelligence can learn 250 words.

http://www.livescience.com/5613-dogs-smart-2-year-kids.html

An improvement on some owners, then.

Giving them treats to distract them will only reinforce their behaviour. You will condition them to chase you every time you come past. You want the dogs to associate you with pain, or discomfort, so they avoid you. There are lots of ways you can do this. Pepper spray sounds a little overboard, a wooden cane or swift kick would be just as effective.

Just don't kill them. You know how much thais love their soi dogs.

Get a decent leather whip and learn how to whip on the move, problem solved. You don't need to hit the dog the sonic boom will be enough to deter it.

these are thai -dog,they never heard the sound of a whip !

It makes them curious,55

Only after been hit by a whip they will show respect for it .

i drive my mountain bike and always have a "shocker" with me . The cracking electric sound (like a lightning) scares them away.

No more probs with dogs .(and will protect you also to other menaces )coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Try getting one of those telescopic police battons,they are light enough to carry when you run.

not my style but would probably help. last year i threw a large stone at a dog that went after me every day. hit him between the eyes and he dropped. never saw the dog again and felt terrible.
I would not have felt terrible. The dog deserved what it got.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The problem often is the owner - if there is one.

Some years ago, taking a few days out in Pattaya, we went to a crazy golf outlet, run by an expat and his Thai wife. There was also a pit bull on the premises, with the owner boasting that the UK ban on keeping these animals was because people didn't know how to handle them. Yeah, right! Nearing the end of the round, the dog started heading towards my son - who was then about five and was only concerned with playing the last hole - snarling, baring its teeth and threatening to attack. The owner intervened, still swearing the dog wasn't a menace ... just in time to avoid the distinct likelihood of my ramming a golf iron into the dog's skull.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any legal controls on dogs, no matter what breed, in LoS.

Water pistol filled with vinegar - one squirt in the face and they'll run yelping, probably never to return.

Only problem is that most water pistols leak a bit, and you'll end up smelling like fish and chips.

Just how long a range has a water pistol got.

A nice sharp samurai sword would work wonders... strapped to your back whilst casually doing a 10km run, In some areas I have seen as many as 12 dogs coming towards me at once, a small cross bow would also work, other considerations of mine were a cobra catapult or one of those compact air bb guns.

I gave this an unhealthy amount of thought after rushing my 2 year old to hospital for a dog bit. When do people act when one of these animals maims or even worse kills a child.

When riding my bicycle, I carry a spray bottle of a mixture of ammonia and water. One spray in their face, and they remember me and stay away.

Is a spray bottle any better than a water pistol.

One of those hand-held stun guns that you can buy in the markets where they sell knives, torches e.t.c. Don't use it on the dogs, just "crackle" it in the air a bit if they get too close. Harmless but stops them in their tracks. Guaranteed from personal experience. (Not sure about the legality though).

Cheers,

Pikey.

Never mind the legality. Your safety should always come first.

Whatever you do, don't pepper spray any dogs. That's cruel! It could kill them!

The idea of treats is a good one.

Also carry a stick, just in case. If they see that they are likely to back off.

It is not cruel. If any animal or human attacks you unprovoked and you kill them. Great.ij

One of those hand-held stun guns that you can buy in the markets where they sell knives, torches e.t.c. Don't use it on the dogs, just "crackle" it in the air a bit if they get too close. Harmless but stops them in their tracks. Guaranteed from personal experience. (Not sure about the legality though).

Cheers,

Pikey.

I'll second that - I own one and noticed that dogs are scared of the sound. You may draw attention to yourself discharging one in public, however. Discharging stun guns into the air isn't recommended, but less than a second shouldn't damage the circuitry.

How about an ultrasonic dog repeller? If you are comfortable shopping on eBay, you can get one shipped to Thailand - 'Dazer 2' is the most popular available from sellers in China and Hong Kong. You won't draw attention to yourself as you would with a stun gun.

I have always found that people who resort to violence to control a few dogs are people I wouldn't like to be around because they would also use violence in other areas of their lives when confronted with adversity.

Since the 1970"s, research has consistently reported childhood cruelty to animals as the first warning sign of later delinquency, violence, and criminal behavior.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-equation/201104/children-who-are-cruel-animals-when-worry

It is not cruel to retaliate if you are attacked unprovoked whether it is by an animal or human and I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my company. I am sure the TV members I have already met would agree.

I have always found that people who resort to violence to control a few dogs are people I wouldn't like to be around because they would also use violence in other areas of their lives when confronted with adversity.

Since the 1970"s, research has consistently reported childhood cruelty to animals as the first warning sign of later delinquency, violence, and criminal behavior.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-equation/201104/children-who-are-cruel-animals-when-worry

It is not cruel to retaliate if you are attacked unprovoked whether it is by an animal or human and I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my company. I am sure the TV members I have already met would agree.

I know it would be asking a lot to read my link and understand my opinion before responding to it. But the Reader's Digest condensed version has a pretty specific set of circumstances that are meant by cruelty.

The Boston Strangler found guilty of killing 13 women, shot arrows through dogs and cats he trapped as a child. Columbine shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold boasted about mutilating animals for fun.

I often carry an umbrella cane combo. The dogs stay out of reach. I carry a few rocks if warranted. I growl back and invite the dogs in with the intent of tearing them limb from limb. I like the pepper spray. Good idea. Where an I buy it ? Does Tesco or Big C carry it ? Does Global House or Thai Watsadu carry pepper spray ? The umbrella serves a few purpose - rain of course. Sun of course. Dogs of course. Personal protection from two legged intruders. Any unwanted incursion into your personal space can easily be staved off by simply extending your umbrella in a non threatening manner.

The canine IQ test results are in: Even the average dog has the mental abilities of a 2-year-old child.

The finding is based on a language development test, revealing average dogs can learn 165 words (similar to a 2-year-old child), including signals and gestures, and dogs in the top 20 percent in intelligence can learn 250 words.

Expand the dogs vocabulary with F *& ^ OFF while you are striking them with a steel rod. Poke their eyes out but above all mean business.

This is more effective if the dogs owner is present. Learn the phrase in Thai. next time it could be you.

Expand the dogs vocabulary with F *& ^ OFF while you are striking them with a steel rod. Poke their eyes out but above all mean business.

• Like 1

To the poster above with the vinegar, just be alert that some people in Thailand both Thai and farang are nut cases about their dogs and will maybe beat the sh_t out of you if they think they you caused their dog to endure pain at your expense.

Then just spray the owners with the same vinegar mixture. laugh.png

• Like 2

Water pistol filled with vinegar - one squirt in the face and they'll run yelping, probably never to return.

Only problem is that most water pistols leak a bit, and you'll end up smelling like fish and chips.

Just how long a range has a water pistol got.

About 4 miles judging by the huge things I've seen at Songkran.

Dogs like to run. I got a soi dog and take her running daily. Maybe I'd have a problem with a big pack of dogs but the 3 or 4 who run as a pack here don't bother us. Before I lived in a house, I lived in a condo with two dogs on the first floor. They got to know everyone who lived in the condo and only barked at strangers and prevented any other dogs coming in the area.

There is a dog up the street that always runs after me barking and snapping its teeth. I once yelled at the Thai owners to keep their dog from this and they told me to go home and mind my own business. So I asked the dog What is its favorite flavor ice cream? It said 'If you want me to stop chasing you I want Cherry Garcia.' I said 'Well they don;t sell Ben & Jerry's here in Thailand' and the dog said 'Well then nuts to you -- expect to be chased because that's what us dogs do'.

However the dog runs out already at full speed from inside the owner's compound whenever I ride by so I am just biding my time until it runs straight into a truck coming the other direction.

Since nobody has directly answered OP's question (typical TV nonsense), I shall pipe in.

Pepper spray is fine, make sure you do not run into the stream or mist. Dogs that recognize you thereafter will stay away (they're quick learners). I've used this methodology on an aggressive gang of soi dogs and the whole soi is now a better place for it (they no longer harass children or anyone else for that matter).

This method will ensure that your run is not disturbed with minutae of having to deal with dogs.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Since nobody has directly answered OP's question (typical TV nonsense), I shall pipe in.

Pepper spray is fine, make sure you do not run into the stream or mist. Dogs that recognize you thereafter will stay away (they're quick learners). I've used this methodology on an aggressive gang of soi dogs and the whole soi is now a better place for it (they no longer harass children or anyone else for that matter).

This method will ensure that your run is not disturbed with minutae of having to deal with dogs.

Good luck.

However this method will not ensure that you will not have to deal the disturbed owner or the purported owner of the dogs who is not happy with your actions so be careful. Personally, I would prefer that some dogs receive a bullet between the eyes but that is another matter.

Years ago I rented a condo in Soi Arunothai in Pattaya, not far from Shagwell Mansions. There were about 3 or 4 dogs who hung around in the soi. Some of the guests fed the dogs ensuring everytime they appeared the dogs would surround them wanting treats. Those of us who ignored them had no hassle from them. Is there a moral to this story?