Tales from your Thailand honeymoon period

keestha

Has been written enough about it: Often expats seem to go through kind of a honeymoon period their first about one and a half years in Thailand, thinking they found paradise, a country full of sweetly smiling people, where everything seems to go super easy. Later though the novelty wears off and certain things start bothering them, and alas in more then a few cases they even end up being embittered, possibly also grabbing for the bottle too often, whining with like minded expats.

Wouldn't it be nice to share some stories from our honeymoon period? I'll start with one of mine.

1992. I was staying at a guesthouse in Bangkok, looking for a job as an English teacher. There was a classified ad in the Bangkok post from a language school at Pinklao Road, I called them, and was invited to drop by straight away. So out I went in the sweltering heat, and waited for the packed red city bus. Went into a cafe a few doors from the language school to prepare mentally and tidy up my appearance a little bit.

I went into the office of the language school, and it was full of absolute stunners, female staff working there. They all looked up when I walked in, smiling at me like I was kind of a teenage heartthrob.

I asked about Mr. Chalermchai who was to interview me, and was quickly directed to his table. Chalermchai seemed like quite a nice guy, and the interview went very smoothly. He assured me he would call me the following day or at the latest the day after that, and I shouldn't forget to let him know if i would change rooms in the guesthouse, so that he would be able to get hold of me for sure (no mobile phones yet back then).

I left the office being sure I had the job. Out on the street, I pinched myself to make sure I was alive and not in paradise already. I felt high without any chemicals involved! What a terrific country, your first job application you walk into an office full of dazzlingly beautiful girls who smile at you like they are ready to hit it off with you straight away, and you are given the job right away after just one interview.

The next day and the two days after that I stayed in the guesthouse, waiting for the guy to call. Only the third day it slowly started getting through to me that the guy had just been polite to me Asian style, not telling me there were other candidates and me certainly not being the best one, not being a native English speaker to start with.

Where to start? I remember the first time I arrived in Bkk in Don Meuang at 11 pm. Went out the front of the airport with my mate and some other backpackers and got the bus 56?? to Khao Sanh. The ride in was amazing…non air bus, pollution, traffic, chicks on other buses smiling, lights. I was blown away.

Edited by nottocus

I remember wandering around Patpong and walking into the Star of Light, thinking it was just another bar.

In the bar area there was a 'chaise-longue' against one wall on which reclined the fattest and biggest American guy I have ever seen. (His accent gave away his nationality).

He was also stark-naked with 2 ladies .... er ... doing what only SoL does best.

This all came as rather a surprise to a newbie like me. I was so shocked, I had to sit at the bar to recover whistling.gif

Simon

• Like 1

I was always interested in Buddhism from a secular standpoint. In the early 90's I saw a couple of young Thai women lighting incense and do their wais ablutions before going to work ... in one of the big massage parlors and thought now this is the kinda Buddhism I can relate to.

• Like 1

I work overseas and in the UK occasionally but live in Thailand. I still have a house in the UK. Often when travelling back to work I arrive at the airport and wonder how I would feel if I were never to return due to illness, financial hardship, war, prison. The thought is quite frankly too horrible to contemplate. My honeymoon period has lasted for over a decade and long may it last. I will never live anywhere else.

• Like 2

I live in Phuket now but for me all the memories come from the first two years living in bkk ,

Theres just too many to list or put in any order.

Amazing just amazing time thise first few years.

It would be nice to be so nieve once again :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Once upon a time laying next to my girl as she slept and breathing in the intoxicating scent from her hair was all that mattered.

Yeh, grandpa told me about mustard gas......................laugh.png

I remember wandering around Patpong and walking into the Star of Light, thinking it was just another bar.

In the bar area there was a 'chaise-longue' against one wall on which reclined the fattest and biggest American guy I have ever seen. (His accent gave away his nationality).

He was also stark-naked with 2 ladies .... er ... doing what only SoL does best.

This all came as rather a surprise to a newbie like me. I was so shocked, I had to sit at the bar to recover whistling.gif

Simon

Too funny. Do tell, Simon, what was he saying that you could discern his accent origin?

Simon

Too funny. Do tell, Simon, what was he saying that you could discern his accent origin?

• Like 1

It was more like sounds, not words - but sounds definitely emitted with a Texas twang!

• Like 1

I remember when I used to sit stark naked in Star of Light with two ladies. I remember the look of shock on the faces of gawking tourists and newbie expats. Those were the days.

Wait that was yesterday....!

Ah, but do you remember the Bunny House and the Kangaroo, upstairs over Max's in Patpong

Haven't gotten to the honeymoon stage yet, still dating I guess. It was only June, 1967, when I first arrived. Met a girl named Mem who was a Muay Thai fighter at Thai Heaven on Petchuburi. I keep finding unusual people, places and things to do in Thailand, so don't when the honeymoon begin.

Simon

He was moaning "oh Gaad!" Instead of "oh God!"

T

When i first arrived i was awe of how introspective and seemingly deep-thinking the Thais were.
Even when picking their noses, i figured they must be truly deep in thought.

...ahhh, those were the days.

• Like 1