Bad experience at Phuket Airport today

simon43

I am doing a visa-run to KL today, (I'm in KL right now, waiting for my return flight and will re-enter Phuket on a 30-day VoA).

Background:

I was working in Laos until the end of last year, but returned to Phuket in mid-January on a VoA to visit my Thai family, with the intention to travel onto a new job in Myanmar a few weeks later.

But I had to return to the UK for a family funeral in February, returning back to Phuket in mid-February on a VoA, with the intention to return to Myanmar.

But family circumstances due to the passing of my mother meant that I was undecided whether or not to return to Myanmar. Whilst thinking over my future, I did a visa-run to Ranong-Kawthaung.

I decided to stay in Phuket for a while and had to do another Ranong visa-run.

I made the decision to open another guesthouse by the airport and contacted a lawyer to set up a Thai ltd company etc, and to apply for a WP.

Due to the time to set up this new company, Songran holidays etc, I had to do yet another Ranong visa-run, with the expectation of being able to fly to KL or Penang today to apply for a B visa.

Unfortunately, my company papers were still not ready, and due to the recent news about 3-times visa-runners at Ranong being denied a 4th VoA, I decided to do a day trip to KL, sure that my company papers would finally be ready before the next month was up.

So this morning I was at the airport and presented my passport to immigration (emigration?). The surly officer spotted my Ranong stamps immediately.

Here's a summary of our conversation, (my thoughts are in brackets):

"You have 3 Ranong stamps - you cannot come back to Thailand"

"I had to do these visa-runs whilst waiting for my Thai company to be registered etc.."

"You are working illegally in Thailand"

"I was working in Laos - I returned to Thailand to visit my Thai family and son"

"Why don't you get a marriage visa?"

"I am divorced"

"Why are you divorced?"

(Hmm, have you got a few hours to spare whilst I tell you??)

"You are working illegally in Thailand"

"I don't work here - I have a monthly income from the UK"

[Having been unable to 'shake' me on the visa side, the officer then noticed a small lapel badge on my jacket, a 'HM King' medal that I was awarded many years ago by the Tourist Police for helping at the airport]

"You cannot wear that badge - it is illegal"

[A nearby immigration officer who recognized me whispered "He is a police volunteer"]

"Where is your police ID?"

[Luckily I had both my TPV ID and International Police Association ID which I showed him - I explained that I helped at the airport etc]

[The officer continued to mumble about 'farang' not being allowed to wear that lapel badge, but I decided to make my exit with a polite 'thank-you']

I have 2 issues with this event:

- On a personal level, the officer was rude and unprofessional - he deserved a good slap!

- More worrying, it brought home the fact that ANY immigration officer can decide your fate on a whim, regardless of what the 'rules' actually state.

The recent news abou7t 3 back-to-back VoAs at Ranong should not have any bearing on doing a visa-run by plane, according to the news/comment printed in this forum. But very clearly, those back-to-back stamps DID influence what this officer said to me.

BTW, all the above conversation was in Thai. I think that my ability to explain my situation and the use of phrases to avoid the officer losing face and being seen as the d*ckhead that he actually was, did help the situation.

Now let's see if they allow me back into Phuket this afternoon..... whistling.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested to see what happens when you arrive in Phuket. I know of a few cases now were people have been blacklisted in the last few days for too many back to back tourist visas or visa exempt stamps and were denied re-entry. The explanantion given one Russian girl I know who was working illegally in the hotel industry while on several consecutive tourist visas was "I see no reason for you to enter Thailand." These people are now are trying to sort out how to get all their stuff back or sold which is here in Thailand. A nightmare.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Simon

Your OP does not make sense.

It is entitled bad experience at Phuket airport.

But isn't the dialogue you present with the officer who was with the person issuing your visa.

And then at the end of your post your say "Now lets see if they let me back into Phuket this afternoon".

I am confused.

When you say 'VoA', you mean "visa exempt'. Important difference.

Yes, it is up to the officer, and I can understand his reasoning. regarding his behaviour, sounds like he was not correct, but with only 1 side of the story this is really difficult to judge.

• Like 2

I am very interested to see what happens when you arrive in Phuket. I know of a few cases now were people have been blacklisted in the last few days for too many back to back tourist visas or visa exempt stamps and were denied re-entry. These people are now are trying to sort out how to get all their stuff back or sold which is here in Thailand. A nightmare.

Can you give more info on the 'blacklist because of too many back to back tourist visas'?

I am very interested to see what happens when you arrive in Phuket. I know of a few cases now were people have been blacklisted in the last few days for too many back to back tourist visas or visa exempt stamps and were denied re-entry. These people are now are trying to sort out how to get all their stuff back or sold which is here in Thailand. A nightmare.

Can you give more info on the 'blacklist because of too many back to back tourist visas'?

At least in the one case I personally know of the person denied entry said the word "blacklist" was used. I believe she was on 3 or more tourist visa's. I doubt if the person told that will be testing the system to see if they actually are.

This is consistent with what immigration has been reporting to media:

"Foreigners caught grossly abusing the maximum overstay fine rule risk being deported and added to the immigration blacklist, barring the foreigner from re-entering the country"

http://phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Visa-crackdown-risks-stranding-Phuket-expats-Myanmar/29346

Another co-worker of mine said he met another visa runner in Burma across from Ranong that was stuck there, denied re-entry to Thailand. The guy kept trying to sneak onto long tails to try to walk past immigration and into Thailand at the pier, which can easily be done, but even the long tail drivers would not allow him across, probably told so by immigration.

Edited by NomadJoe

At least in the one case I personally know of the person denied entry said the word "blacklist" was used. I believe she was on 3 or more tourist visa's. I doubt if the person told that will be testing the system to see if they actually are.

This is consistent with what immigration has been reporting to media:

"Foreigners caught grossly abusing the maximum overstay fine rule risk being deported and added to the immigration blacklist, barring the foreigner from re-entering the country"

http://phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Visa-crackdown-risks-stranding-Phuket-expats-Myanmar/29346

Another co-worker of mine said he met another visa runner in Burma across from Ranong that was stuck there, denied re-entry to Thailand. The guy kept trying to sneak onto long tails to try to walk into Thailand at the pier,which can be done, but even the long tail drivers would not allow him across, probably told so by immigration.

Thanks. Sounds like nothing to do with too many back to back tourist visas, because that would be something new (I am convinced they will at some point tightening up that as well BTW).

This should significantly impact upon the Farang population of Koh Phayam and Koh Chang Noi. Every expat on those island does back to back tourist visas. If they truly do enforce this then they will all be screwed.

Simon, you still have not clarified, where exactly did your exchange about your lapell pin take place?

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

This should significantly impact upon the Farang population of Koh Phayam and Koh Chang Noi. Every expat on those island does back to back tourist visas. If they truly do enforce this then they will all be screwed.

Simon, you still have not clarified, where exactly did your exchange about your lapell pin take place?

No, they tend to do back to back visa exempt entries.

I think it is very clear from his post where the exchange took place: with immigration at the airport upon exiting the country.

• Like 1

Try reading his post:

I am doing a visa-run to KL today, (I'm in KL right now, waiting for my return flight and will re-enter Phuket on a 30-day VoA).

So this morning I was at the airport and presented my passport to immigration (emigration?). The surly officer spotted my Ranong stamps immediately

• Like 1

I think it is very clear from his post where the exchange took place: with immigration at the airport upon exiting the country.

Yes, that is correct, back to back VEs...nonetheless they will be screwed.

Not screwed, they will simply have to get a visa.

• Like 1

Try reading his post:

So this morning I was at the airport and presented my passport to immigration (emigration?). The surly officer spotted my Ranong stamps immediately

He's trying to live up to his member name.

Try reading his post:

He's trying to live up to his member name.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-n_RQ7Ymthbmtn/animal_house_1978_delta_pledge_ceremony/

I thought you could only get visa exempt entries by flying into Thailand

I was also under the impression that there is no limit to how many of these you can have, again so long as you are flying out of Thailand and flying back again.

I got a visa-exempt 30 days on arrival again because my lawyer hasn't yet finished my company/WP documents.

I had to do a visa-run today because my previous visa-exempt was on it's last day. I went to KL because I assumed that Ranong would not give me a 4th visa-exempt stamp, but I didn't expect problems doing a 'flying' visa-run.

What was the total cost for your day excursion for your visa (exempt) run.

Not too bad, 5,000 baht for the Air Asia day-return ticket, 500 baht for lunch at LCCT and some sweets for the kids, 200 baht parking fee at Phuket Airport.

OT, but whilst waiting for my return flight, the departure lounge was entertained by a 'giggle' (most descriptive word, not 'gaggle') of scantily-clad and rather pretty young ladies in handcuffs who were being invited to leave the country on the next flight (back to Taiwan I think).

They were certainly dressed for the hot weather in KL whistling.gif

Right, just got back (successfully) to Phuket :)

I couldn't reply to your posts from KL LCCT due to the free wi-fi being ... er .... somewhat slooooowwwww.

Anyway:

Why didn't you just get a 60 day extension based on visiting Thai family ?

According to Phuket Town immigration, you can do that once and once only - and I did that about 5 years ago.

All the conversation in my OP took place at emigration at the airport. I was trying not to annoy the immigration officer, but each clarifying reply that I gave him seemed to urge him oh to find fault with me on something else.

(Maybe he got out the wrong side of bed? Maybe his wife pointed out the recent study about how small Thai mens' dicks are - who knows....)

On my return to Phuket, I tried to choose a happy, smiling immigration officer. The officer who checked me in did look carefully through my recent visa stamps, but stamped me in without comment.

Tomorrow I'm chasing my lawyer to get all the paperwork ready to get a B visa from Penang in 30 days.

Overall, it was not an enjoyable experience this morning, but at least everything was OK in the end.

Simon

I've had 3 x 60 day extensions based on visiting my daughter in the past year,it would have have been a much cheaper and quicker option for you IMHO.

Not too bad, 5,000 baht for the Air Asia day-return ticket, 500 baht for lunch at LCCT and some sweets for the kids, 200 baht parking fee at Phuket Airport.

Parking fee Simon ? Thought you were located very close to Phuket Airport.