Thailand to launch new 500 Baht bank note

new+500+baht+bank+note.jpg

new+500+baht+bank+note+reverse.jpg

Bangkok:-- Thailand’s Central Bank has today announced the launch of a new 500 Baht bank note.

The new banknotes will be in circulation from Monday 12th May 2014 and will be much more difficult to forge, according to Bank of Thailand deputy governor, Thong-urai Limpiti.

The new notes will also be the same size as the existing ones, although they will be more easily distinguishable from other denominations, making it easier for the visually impaired to differentiate between notes.

The old 500 Baht banknotes which have been used for more than 12 years can still be used and will remain in circulation for the next two years before being totally replaced with the new generation of bank notes.

Source: Bank of Thailand

tvn.png
-- 2014-05-07

If they are really concerned with the visually impaired, they should really make the 1,000 baht note a totally different colour from the 100.

Make the 1,000 a really distinct, bright colour.

I've seen quite a few people mix 1,000's in with 100's.

A very smart and correct observation.

I have seen fights break out on two seperate occasions in Patong when Australian bogans contributing to a drink kitty screwed up between 100THB and 1000THB notes.

I also have been to the nuat tdar bot on a number of occassions and watched the boss struggle with his 5 percent vision to determine what note he has been given.

With regards to colour, why isn't the 1000THB note yellow. Isn't that the colour of that get worn to show respect to the king?

If they are really concerned with the visually impaired, they should really make the 1,000 baht note a totally different colour from the 100.

I have seen fights break out on two seperate occasions in Patong when Australian bogans contributing to a drink kitty screwed up between 100THB and 1000THB notes.

I also have been to the nuat tdar bot on a number of occassions and watched the boss struggle with his 5 percent vision to determine what note he has been given.

With regards to colour, why isn't the 1000THB note yellow. Isn't that the colour of that get worn to show respect to the king?

Probably would have done the same back home,and agree the notes colours are to close.

new+500+baht+bank+note.jpg

new+500+baht+bank+note+reverse.jpg

Bangkok:-- Thailand’s Central Bank has today announced the launch of a new 500 Baht bank note.

The new banknotes will be in circulation from Monday 12th May 2014 and will be much more difficult to forge, according to Bank of Thailand deputy governor, Thong-urai Limpiti.

The new notes will also be the same size as the existing ones, although they will be more easily distinguishable from other denominations, making it easier for the visually impaired to differentiate between notes.

The old 500 Baht banknotes which have been used for more than 12 years can still be used and will remain in circulation for the next two years before being totally replaced with the new generation of bank notes.

Source: Bank of Thailand

tvn.png

-- 2014-05-07

Suthep will love this news!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Would being under the influence of grog have anything to do with this?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bright yellow, would be an excellent choice IMO. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

My 100 baht notes are RED, while my 1000 Baht notes are GREY.

I would consider that different colors.

Maybe you 20 baht and 1000 Baht notes in mind, as they are difficult to distinguish in the dark for me.

if they really cared they would make them different sizes as in the uk

How about a 2'O00 Baht note

A 5,000 Baht note, 20 baht and 50 Baht coins would be more realistic. And drop the satang!

Edited by rreddin
  • Like 2

The 100 and 1000 are different sizes, isn't that enough to distinguish?

My only observation id that this announcement comes only a werk before they are put in circulation. Don't these announcement s usually come years in advance (realizing of course there couldn't possibly be and public discourse on the design )

-*I typed this myself*-

i was hoping for a 5,000 or 10,000 note - that's what we need not a top note that's only 20GBP

Well, we pretty much get by with that in the UK. There are £50 notes, and £100 in Scotland, but when's the last time you paid a bill with one?

New Bt500 notes will be more difficult to counterfeit: BOT
ERICH PARPART
THE NATION

bn.jpg
Tongurai Limpiti, deputy governor of the Bank of Thailand, presents the new Bt500 banknote with advanced security features yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- THE BANK of Thailand hopes its new Bt500 bill with advanced security features will stay ahead of tech-savvy counterfeiters.

"The launching of the Bt500 banknotes is based on three of the central bank's traditional frameworks, which are to commemorate present and past kings from Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, Thon Buri and Rattanakosin, keep up with new designs of banknotes to meet international standards and upgrade security features to make it harder for counterfeiters to make fake notes," deputy governor Tongurai Limpiti said yesterday.

The 16th series of its kind will enter into circulation on Monday, replacing the old 15 series that has been in use for 12 years. The switchover should take less than two years, while other banknotes in circulation along with the previous series of Bt500 will remain legal tender.

The colour and size of the latest series remains the same but new features have been incorporated to make it easier for the public and sorting machines to detect fraudulent notes.

The new Bt500 looks similar to the other 15 series of Bt20 and Bt50 banknotes that have been introduced with the portrait of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej in front. However, the photo of the statue of Rama I (Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke) in the back is different from the other notes.

Besides colour shifting ink with a latent image, watermark technology, hologram foil stripe and iridescent coating, the newest security feature is a windowed colour-shifting security thread with moving-boxes animation.

"The special security thread on the reverse side changes from gold to green and illustrates moving-boxes effect is one of the newest features that have been incorporated into this note to enhance security," she said.

The easiest way to spot fake notes remains the detection of the watermark portrait of His Majesty and the embossed Arabic and Thai numbers in the front.

Added security measures are always good but the introduction of the new banknote also posed some complications for users of cash-deposit machines (CDMs), as the new banknote is not yet compatible with the current security readers of CDMs.

Banks would need three to six months to update their CDMs. The public should go to tellers in the meantime. However, the changes will not affect automated teller machines as the bill's size remains the same.

Priyavat Chainuvat, assistant governor of the banknote management group, said 100 million bills will be distributed in the middle of the month. There are 240 million old series Bt500 banknotes in the system.

There are 4.5 billion banknotes worth Bt1.4 trillion in circulation and demand increases about 4 per cent each year. Out of all the 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1,000 denominations, the one that is most faked is the Bt1000 bill, as it is most profitable for counterfeiters.

However, Thailand's printing house for banknotes is among the top 10 in the world - China and Japan are No 1 and 2. Compared to the main currencies such as the euro and US dollar, the baht has a much lower counterfeit rate. The dollar and euro have about 40 fake bills per million notes, while the baht has 5.

"Besides China and Japan, we are second to none in Asia in terms of technology and efficiency in currency printing," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-08

if they really cared they would make them different sizes as in the uk

Yes but some of the notes in the UK are just WAY too big. After 20 years away I went back there and couldn't believe the size of them. Australian $ notes are the best I have come across so far.