why do thais forget there poor past when they become rich?

dirtyfalang

About 7 years ago I spent 3 months in a 2/3 star hotel in Bangkok. During this time I got friendly with the staff and often went out with them on their days off, temple, Royal Palace, dinner on the Chai Phraya etc. I've kept in touch with all of them and often go to visit when in Bangkok. Apart from one or two, the staff is largely the same as when I stayed there. One of the girls left about 18 months years ago to work in a hi-so hotel on Sukhumvit. I'd call it sumptious, the Sofitel. She now never contacts her old colleagues. I have popped in to see her on a couple of occasions and asked if she wants to go for dinner to see her old friends but she point blank refuses. I go to her old hotel and ask if they've heard from her but I am just met with silence. I don't enquire any further. Either they had a massive row when she left or she is now hi-so and has left her friends behind.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 7 years ago I spent 3 months in a 2/3 star hotel in Bangkok. During this time I got friendly with the staff and often went out with them on their days off, temple, Royal Palace, dinner on the Chai Phraya etc. I've kept in touch with all of them and often go to visit when in Bangkok. Apart from one or two, the staff is largely the same as when I stayed there. One of the girls left about 18 months years ago to work in a hi-so hotel on Sukhumvit. I'd call it sumptious, the Sofitel. She now never contacts her old colleagues. I have popped in to see her on a couple of occasions and asked if she wants to go for dinner to see her old friends but she point blank refuses. I go to her old hotel and ask if they've heard from her but I am just met with silence. I don't enquire any further. Either they had a massive row when she left or she is now hi-so and has left her friends behind.

No one who works in an hotel is high society. perhaps her old "friends" had questionable habits she would best want to leave behind her.

• Like 1

People with money......keep it. That's why they have money. My Brother has 20 million dollars and does not spread it around ( not that I want it). I forgot...he does spread it around.....at golf courses.

People with money......keep it. That's why they have money. My Brother has 20 million dollars and does not spread it around ( not that I want it). I forgot...he does spread it around.....at golf courses.

Not everyone; some people share their money.

It's not a Thai thing or the bar in the girl.

Studies show an increase in wealth and status decreases our feeling of compassion for others.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/rich-people-compassion-mean-money_n_1416091.html

To a certain point and perhaps only in respect to a specific age group. The period in which people came of age has a major influence, My observation is that people who grew up in the dirty 30's and endured WWII tend to be thoughtful of those in trying circumstances. People who grew up in the booming 50's and early 60's have a selfish streak to them. The people who grew up in mid 60's to mid 70's have kept some of their youthful ideals and it shows in their kids. Then we get to the disco era and the greedy 80's generation and they are just one useless group of people and they have produced some even worse offspring. My simplistic opinion. smile.png

That's a compelling observation. Environmental influences can't be ignored.

However, money (and power) seem to be the primary culprit in changing people (of all age groups) from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde.

As proof, I refer you to the primary actors in Thailand's ongoing drama. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

This is one ex-bargirl--ONE--and you're suggesting that all Thais behave this way? TROLL THREAD!

Yes, it's always the same. A few Thais (allegedly) say something or behave in a certain way and that means ALL 67 millionTHAIS do this, say this, believe this, are culturally inculcated to act like this. And the implicit assumption is that the poster is speaking on behalf of all farang all over the world who must think exactly as he does.

As far as the nouveau riche or nouveau titled forgetting their pasts and acting abominably, that's hardly an exclusively Thai or female phenomenon. Justin Bieber, Donald Trump, Naomi Campbell and the Duchess of York come to mind, but then there's pretty much the entire population of California connected to Hollywood.

fergie1.jpg

• Like 2

Knew a cashier at Tesco in Pattaya. Along came an offshore worker to the till and they married 6 months later. She now lives in a 20 million baht home and drives a new Mercedes.Won't lift a finger...has to hire her sister as a maid and her brother cleans the yard.

She was best friends with my ex-girlfriend and they had a laundry business in Pattaya for a few years before this. This girl has now cut off every single friend from her life, including her best friend (my ex). Won't even answer her phone calls.

Most bizarre thing I've ever seen. Even rich celebrities like to keep their original friends around.

I think some Thais that were poor before know the truth is that they are only rich because of spreading their legs. By living in denial, they can assume a new identity but anything from their past that makes them confront reality is just too unpleasant for most people.

You see the same behaviour with farang on here, when they are 60 years old and marry someone their daughter's age. They never want to go back home to visit because they would have to face reality that they married a young whore. Staying in Thailand lets them feel they are normal.

• Like 1

Any reason why they should remember their past?

In western culture we are encouraged to be humble and respectful of our history. This has never been in vogue in Thailand. They love to be hi-so even if up to their necks in debt. Pretty shallow really.

I think you, like 90% of the people on this forum, have no real idea what hi-so means. It doesn't mean anybody who can afford to shop at Paragon or drive a car.

Your comment re. Westerners being encouraged to be humble is laughable judging by the behaviour I have witnessed over and over again in Thailand. I certainty don't see any sign of humility in your post.

Knew a cashier at Tesco in Pattaya. Along came an offshore worker to the till and they married 6 months later. She now lives in a 20 million baht home and drives a new Mercedes.Won't lift a finger...has to hire her sister as a maid and her brother cleans the yard.

She was best friends with my ex-girlfriend and they had a laundry business in Pattaya for a few years before this. This girl has now cut off every single friend from her life, including her best friend (my ex). Won't even answer her phone calls.

Most bizarre thing I've ever seen. Even rich celebrities like to keep their original friends around.

I think some Thais that were poor before know the truth is that they are only rich because of spreading their legs. By living in denial, they can assume a new identity but anything from their past that makes them confront reality is just too unpleasant for most people.

You see the same behaviour with farang on here, when they are 60 years old and marry someone their daughter's age. They never want to go back home to visit because they would have to face reality that they married a young whore. Staying in Thailand lets them feel they are normal.

BS. Which of your 'exes' was this? The first one you kicked out in your one month in Thailand or the fifth?

The OP got knocked back by a few women. Hasn't got the proverbial pot to urinate in and is now angry at anyone with a few more baht than he has.

• Like 1

Any reason why they should remember their past?

In western culture we are encouraged to be humble and respectful of our history. This has never been in vogue in Thailand. They love to be hi-so even if up to their necks in debt. Pretty shallow really.

I think you, like 90% of the people on this forum, have no real idea what hi-so means. It doesn't mean anybody who can afford to shop at Paragon or drive a car.

Your comment re. Westerners being encouraged to be humble is laughable judging by the behaviour I have witnessed over and over again in Thailand. I certainty don't see any sign of humility in your post.

Rather patronising sir. I think 90% of the people on this forum do know what hi-so means, very similar to nouveau riche or snobs or upwardly socially mobile with variable success. It isn't rocket science or are you looking for nuance where there is none?

I'm interested in your observation about westerners in Thailand, a infinitesimally small sample group of westerners in the world. I take it you aren't a data analyst by trade.

AshRegister

Posted Today, 04:15

If a Thai living in Australia, the UK or US asked you the same question what would you tell them?

I don't live in Thailand or know it that well but I think TV posters confuse human nature with 'Thai-ness'

I am re posting this opinion by " Ashregister " above because I find it to be pertinent.

One could the suggest the same thing happens with a lot of farang's in Thailand, they come to Thailand with a few bob in their pocket, which by the standards of their own country ain't much money to start with, all of a sudden said farang's think they are lord of the manor, a big bwana amongst the natives.

I have met a few over the years who talk to their ladies/wives as if they were some sort of slave, sadly..............................sad.png

• Like 1

Being connected and aware of your past and the commonality of all of us is not so common a possession. I suspect it is uncommon for someone to have their life change so dramatically and stay anchored In what matters, and how it's all more pretty crap to delude them when rich.

It is not a Thai thing or other. This is a phenomena that seems to happen quite frequently. I suspect had you the window into other people in other cultures "getting rich" you'd observe a similar behavior. In the end it is the individual and not the culture who this reflects on; it can only be so. It's just through this cultural lens that you see her base character. It says lots about you that this behavior disturbs you- now let it go...

Edited by arjunadawn

BS. Which of your 'exes' was this? The first one you kicked out in your one month in Thailand or the fifth?

The OP got knocked back by a few women. Hasn't got the proverbial pot to urinate in and is now angry at anyone with a few more baht than he has.

Why the anger? Having to take care of an Issan man's castoffs today set you in a foul mood? Not BS at all....she lives in Sattahip. This exactly proves my point. What I wrote angers you greatly because it makes you confront the ugly reality which is your life. You see why I'm so happy? Because I am short and bald and don't try to pretend otherwise.:) I live here because I can buy beautiful, young girls to sleep with me every day while back home I was delegated to fat, old rejects. Except now I'm starting to meet employed, attractive, childless women early 30's who are tired of the good looking, farang players. Who would have thought?:)

• Like 1

Being connected and aware of your past and the commonality of all of us is not so common a possession. I suspect it is uncommon for someone to have their life change so dramatically and stay anchored In what matters, and how it's all more pretty crap to delude them when rich.

It is not a Thai thing or other. This is a phenomena that seems to happen quite frequently. I suspect had you the window into other people in other cultures "getting rich" you'd observe a similar behavior. In the end it is the individual and not the culture who this reflects on; it can only be so. It's just through this cultural lens that you see her base character. It says lots about you that this behavior disturbs you- now let it go...

In LOS a Thai with a good job is looked up too by those who don't. In LOS a Thai who is known to have money is looked up too by those who don't. If you see the manager of Tesco's walking around the store staff wai him, he is looked up too. My Thai friend (67) was a champion boxer, to this day he is looked up too.

Bit different where I come from, nobody gives a shit about anything or anyone.

Human nature or as Trink would say: Human Manure

Happens to many people no matter what race, colour, or creed.

They simply forget where they come from.

Some poor Thais who have pulled out of poverty (there's not many), and whom I know, are deeply ashamed of their poor roots. It manifests itself in diverse ways, such as being hard on those who remind them of their own past, or totally distancing themselves from their own roots by whatever it takes to do so.

One young Thai man from Isaan, when he got his undergrad and grad degrees (financed by gifts of teachers and a few foreign friends) forsook his dirt-poor family because they reminded him of his painful past. He moved off to Australia to live the high life and won't even answer questions about the welfare of his family. I would guess he hasn't seen any of them (mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin) in years. Reprehensible, to be sure, but not unusual.

In the same breath, I certainly know some Vietnamese, Cambodians and Americans who are guilty of the same behavior. Could it just possibly be the human condition?

Reprehensible? Sounds like he had the right idea. I wish people I knew had the courage to <deleted> off those parasites.

This is one ex-bargirl--ONE--and you're suggesting that all Thais behave this way? TROLL THREAD!

To be fair it's not an uncommon occurrence to see Thai women who had nothing turning into 'madames' when they have someone's money to spend..... not the abusiveness but the airs and graces.

Then again, it's all part of a 'marry a rich man' dream.

True, but not just down to the Thais, this would apply to any nationality.

Most people who have lived in poverty...and then experience affluence...tend to forget the past...is this so wrong?

It's not wrong, but no matter how well off you are compared to people "beneath you", you should not look down on them. Nobody is better than anybody else, no matter how rich or well off they are.

• Like 1

One could the suggest the same thing happens with a lot of farang's in Thailand, they come to Thailand with a few bob in their pocket, which by the standards of their own country ain't much money to start with, all of a sudden said farang's think they are lord of the manor, a big bwana amongst the natives.

Yeah, this is hardly reserved for Thais, same in all countries. The Big Bwana types are the worst though.