Three die, 43 injured in bus crash in northern Thailand

Three die, 43 injured in bus crash

5-9-2014-10-36-38-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Three passengers were killed and 43 others injured when a bus they travelled in plunged into ravine after hitting a truck and knocking down several power poles.

Police said the incident happened on the highway from Udon Thani to Phitsanulok in Loei province near Kilometre 22 Friday afternoon.

The bus with about 50 passengers was running downhill when a pickup truck coming on opposition direction into the lane of the bus.

The truck hit the side of the bus while it swerved to avoid collision causing the bus driver to lose control.
The uncontrolled bus ran down 500 metres and rammed at power poles before overturning and falling into the roadside ravine.

The three deaths included a child, and 43 were injured, 23 seriously.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-die-43-injured-bus-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-09

Everyone had their seatbelts on I suppose. rolleyes.gif

The bus did have functioning seat belts for every passanger, right? and they did have the intelligence to use them, right?

the 5,000bht fine for not having a seat belt on,doesnt come into force till tomorrow.if there wear any on the bus.

Edited by meatboy

I sometimes wonder why the journalists bother to go. Surely they have enough sad photos and know it involves death. Soon it will be easier to report on the days when there isn't a fatal bus crash in Thailand.

Just too sad....

True but it think them days will be around when humans are living on the moon etc !

Everyone had their seatbelts on I suppose. rolleyes.gif

The bus did have functioning seat belts for every passanger, right? and they did have the intelligence to use them, right?

Not many bus companies that follow the new law on seat belts.
Last time I took the bus from Ekkamai to Pattaya, there was no seat belts.
I guess it's cheaper to pay the police 100-200 baht, if they happen to be stopped.
  • Like 1

Let me guess... None of them were wearing seat belts. Will they be charged 5,000 baht each?

seat belt law comes into force sunday 11th may.so all the passengers were lucky?not so 3 lost their lives and 23 seriously injured.looks like the bus can be repaired.

i could not find the typical line of : the truck driver fled the scene

as usual

so hopefully 47 passenger were wearing their obligated seatbelt, otherwise, they might be fined, right ?

Another one? Man... obviously Thais never learn. Life is cheap here. Profits before lives. Until they properly train their drivers and make them drive in shifts and keep their buses in proper working order, nothing will change. But I think it's too much to ask.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's hard to know if any form of transport is safe here,horrendous road toll,trains de railing,aircraft that have problems having their insignia painted over,even walking,due to potential dog attacks,or an errant motorsai running you down.

What are you trying to say? Stay at home...or die trying to go somewhere?

A disfunctional government often results in a disfunctional society. Thailand seems to be a free-for-all, with little regard for safety. Profit runs the the show from my experience living here. Sad that the carnage continues and innocent people are killed due to apathy from those that could make a change.

Like it or not, 98% of Thai drivers are brain dead morons.

The other 2 percent not morons???

Poor drivers are not restricted only to Thais. I live here and have observed some pretty foolhardy antics from what appears to be non-Thais. Death does not discriminate.