uptheos

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Non smoking presumably. smile.png

If Wenger wants to win the Prem and do anything of stature in the CL..........

...you tell me what the solution is.

He's built some good sides and made the final....so I don't think his credentials are in question at all.

He kept the budget low yo help finance their new stadium....frankly Arsenal owe him a huge debt of thanks for what he achieved....and a loosening of the transfer kitty is the perfect way to repay him.

Now if only there were 10 Ozil's out there!

Careful, Santi rather touchy about Ozil. I'm sure he'll have a better season this time. Mindyou, can't think of another world cup winner that had such a mediocre tournament.

jimmy greaves? ;)

He's built some good sides and made the final....so I don't think his credentials are in question at all.

He kept the budget low yo help finance their new stadium....frankly Arsenal owe him a huge debt of thanks for what he achieved....and a loosening of the transfer kitty is the perfect way to repay him.

Careful, Santi rather touchy about Ozil. I'm sure he'll have a better season this time. Mindyou, can't think of another world cup winner that had such a mediocre tournament.

jimmy greaves? wink.png

Jimmy Greaves was injured and didn't play in the final, he received a medal 40 years later I believe.

• Like 1

jimmy greaves? wink.png

Has to be the England physio.

• Like 1

Jimmy Greaves was injured and didn't play in the final, he received a medal 40 years later I believe.

Jimmy Greaves was dropped for the final.

absolutely 100 % wrong

He's knows full well Greaves wasn't dropped.

Its his hilarious gooner wit!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You're very poorly educated if you think Greaves was injured.

He was fit to play, but Ramsey (correctly) went for the in-form player who replaced him.

He has no hard feelings about it.

So don't get all pouty.

biggrin.png

England won the group and Jimmy Greaves started all three games. He failed to score and in the final group game, a win over France he sustained a cut on his shin which required 14 stitches and forced him to miss the infamous quarter-final tie against Argentina.

Geoff Hurst came into the team and scored the only goal of the game. With Greaves still out Hurst retained his place in the semi-final win over Portugal. Jimmy Greaves was fit to play in the Final and Alf Ramsey had a decision to make. The manager opted for Hurst and with no substitutes, Jimmy Greaves was left sitting on the sidelines among the reserves.

Edited by Chicog

Les Dawson “White Hart Lane is a great place. The only thing wrong is the seats face the pitch”.

He wasn't dropped for the final.

coffee1.gif

He never played for Arsenal though.

Top flight debut made at Chelsea when he was 17.

Instant success.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by P45Mustang

being pedantic you could say that greaves wasn't "dropped" for the 66 final because that would have meant him being in the semi-final team, which he wasn't. going into the tournament however he was first choice up front and was fit when the final came around but not selected. so if you're going to split hairs he was at least 'left out'.

imagine having no substitutes at all though. players today really don't have a scooby how easy they have got it.

Ramsey didn't want to change a winning team from Q/F and S/F.

Played Hurst, kept Hurst. Worked.

Greaves gutted.

That's football.

Greaves in the modern game would be as devastating as anybody you might wish to mention.

He knows it too.

But now he's 74.

Lmao....you lot are STILL banging on about it.....67 boys....remember that one?

Did Greaves play that day?

Mwahahahaha!

And the sweaties have the opportunity to repeat it against the squareheads I believe.....

biggrin.png

being pedantic you could say that greaves wasn't "dropped" for the 66 final because that would have meant him being in the semi-final team, which he wasn't. going into the tournament however he was first choice up front and was fit when the final came around but not selected. so if you're going to split hairs he was at least 'left out'.

imagine having no substitutes at all though. players today really don't have a scooby how easy they have got it.

Being pedantic you can say what you like but Ramsey dropped him.

He was the only player in the whole squad that didn't join in the celebrations.

But he's philosophical now. I think the drink mellowed him.

England Top Goalscorers of All Time:

# Name Career Goals Caps Position Average

1 Sir Bobby Charlton 1958–1970 49 106 FW 0.4623

2 Gary Lineker 1984–1992 48 80 FW 0.6000

3 Jimmy Greaves 1959–1967 44 57 FW 0.7719

4 Michael Owen 1998–2008 40 89 FW 0.4494

5 Wayne Rooney 2003– 40 95 FW 0.4210

6 Nat Lofthouse 1950–1958 30 33 FW 0.9090

7 Alan Shearer 1992–2000 30 63 FW 0.4762

8 Tom Finney 1946–1958 30 76 FW 0.3947

9 Vivian Woodward 1903–1911 29 23 FW 1.2609

10 Frank Lampard 1999– 29 106 MF 0.2735

Geoff Hurst is 14th on the list.

Highest goal per game ratio since 1960. Jimmy Greaves.

wink.png

Edited by P45Mustang

^

Greaves missed the Q/F because of injury. Hunt played instead. Ramsey stuck with the same team for S/F and Final.

Charitable fellow is chicog.

Wrong....Hunt played all six matches. Hurst replaced Greavesthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

^

Greaves missed the Q/F because of injury. Hunt played instead. Ramsey stuck with the same team for S/F and Final.

Charitable fellow is chicog.

Wrong....Hunt played all six matches. Hurst replaced Greavesthumbsup.gif

Apologies. Wilai is correct. thumbsup.gif

Hurst performance for England compared with Greaves is above.

Yup those were the days when men were men and balls were balls! wink.png

• Like 1

I suppose if you wanted to be pedantic, you might argue that first touch with a piece of sodden leather that weighed about a hundredweight was easier than with a modern ball?

Personally I think George Best and Jimmy Greaves with modern boots on grass like carpet would be devastating.

thumbsup.gif

Never used to get metatarsal injuries back in those days.

biggrin.png

Steel toe cap probably helped.

Dider Drogba considering Chelsea return on one-year deal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28401447

Didier Drogba’s return to Chelsea on a one-year-contract could be confirmed this week, according to reports in France, with the Ivory Coast striker then set to be offered a coaching role at Stamford Bridge when he retires from playing.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/20/chelsea-didier-drogba-one-year-contract

You're very poorly educated if you think Greaves was injured.

He was fit to play, but Ramsey (correctly) went for the in-form player who replaced him.

He has no hard feelings about it.

So don't get all pouty.

biggrin.png

England won the group and Jimmy Greaves started all three games. He failed to score and in the final group game, a win over France he sustained a cut on his shin which required 14 stitches and forced him to miss the infamous quarter-final tie against Argentina.

Geoff Hurst came into the team and scored the only goal of the game. With Greaves still out Hurst retained his place in the semi-final win over Portugal. Jimmy Greaves was fit to play in the Final and Alf Ramsey had a decision to make. The manager opted for Hurst and with no substitutes, Jimmy Greaves was left sitting on the sidelines among the reserves.

thats by who ? Not right according to jack Charltons autobiography reckoned there was no way he was going to play after the injury.

• Like 1