Monk-led rally hit with water cannon, tear gas

Lite Beer

Monk-led rally hit with water cannon, tear gas
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

30233338-01_big.jpg
Police fire water cannons at protesters led by Phra Buddha Issara at Centre for Administration of Peace and Order headquarters.

BANGKOK: -- Police fired tear gas and sprayed a water cannon at monk Phra Buddha Issara, a leader of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), and his followers yesterday after they tried to trespass into the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO).

The monk, in response, vowed to file three complaints at Thung Song Hong police station today against officers for attempted murder, violating his constitutional rights to freedom of assembly, and "unjustly" carrying out their duty.

The incident occurred after Phra Buddha Issara led a group of PDRC protesters on 10 buses with a loudspeaker to block the entrance of CAPO at the Royal Thai Police Club. He demanded that police come out to accept a lese-majeste complaint he sought to file against an unknown person who fired an M79 grenade at Chulabhorn Research Institute Hospital this week, plus a complaint to police about former caretaker prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra for her alleged mishandling of the rice-pledging scheme.

Pol Maj-General Pakphoom Satchaphan, deputy commander of the Office for Police Strategy, emerged from CAPO to meet the monk but did not accept the complaints, as he said he would have to consult with his superiors about this first.

The monk then declared that he and his followers would stay there until the complaints were accepted.

After nearly an hour and no response, Phra Buddha Issara, accompanied by security guards and two other monks, plus some reporters, removed barbed wire and unlocked the gate, while a loud warning was issued by CAPO that they were breaking the law.

A water cannon was then aimed at the monk, followed by volleys of tear-gas canisters, which caused protesters to seek refuge. One protester suffered a cut on his head and a number were given first aid.

Don Muang Tollway was shut down during the incident but the group eventually retreated after they learned that a group of red shirts were heading towards their protest venue at Chaeng Wattana Road to try to demolish the camp.

Police later visited the monk, who said he would drop the complaints if those involved apologised to him in person.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-10

CAPO? Is Thai organized crime now borrowing terminology from Italian organized crime?

Capo is " chief in my language is not related to Italian crime organized...just dont write if you dont know a traslation.....mio capo :)

Where have the authorities suddenly got the balls to respond as required against threats and intimidation?

About time, well done.

Animals. out right animals.

The police is suppose to protect civilian and religious leaders, not hurt them.

What a barbaric act.

The protesters came in peace and without weapon.

• Like 2

Hey monk do you learnt is abuddha teaching to involbe politics and leading protest? you are an amazing monk . world is laughing at you. this chao clearly that something vs somthing. paat many decates political power held by bangkokian and southern elites. suddenly power shifted to northern elitle so chaos began with full of jealosy lol. i feel sorry for north and north east people who have never get an equal opportunities. last many decates thai government focus investment and business opportunities BKK and else where so north and north east left behind under poverty situation. this is the out come today this nations experiencing. maybe my analysis is wrong. sorry for that. what i feel and sees , corruption is a way of political culture there. does not matter who run the country . so far what i feel is no government committed to change better education system and improve poverty. sorry for all of you, this is just my opinion not a complaint.

i also come from one of the worst management country call Nepal. Nepal is a second richest water resources in the world but in Kathmandu has water and electricity sortage. water supply in Kathmandu 3 times a week, each time 2-3 hours and electricity load shading everyday at least 8 hours. can you imagine people lives there. bwd i am very happy to live here compare to Nepal. for me Thailand is heaven maybe for many American and European different.

Where have the authorities suddenly got the balls to respond as required against threats and intimidation?

About time, well done.

What a barbaric act.

Nothing Peaceful about this So-Called Monk.

About time, well done.

What a barbaric act.

Grow up. The police did protect civilians. There were no religious leaders present, just a bogus monk who has violated his obligation as a monk.

The use of non lethal means to thwart a criminal act is not barbaric. In case you forgot, the man and his cult came to seize a building which was not open to the public. The monk and his cult trespassed and refused repeated instructions to go away. Would you rather the police use their batons and crack a few heads, or would you prefer that they use live fire? The hooligans did not come in peace. The moent they trespassed and made threats and engaged in a mob assault, they forced the police to protect themselves and the building.

Nice try at trying to get a wind up though.

GK, would you please enlighten us with your explanation of, his obligation as a monk? wai.gif

The Police Major General had to ask his superiors if he should accept a complaint!.....fair enough a lowly constable......these police are so child like, it's comical, but dreadful that they are a major part of security here.

I read that the wanted to consult with his superiors. It could have been a stall tactic or he genuinely wanted input from his Chain-of-Command. He may not have wanted to inflame an already volatile situation.

I wasn't there and don't know the various persons involved, so it's all conjecture from my side of the peanut gallery.

Nothing to do with the monk but an example of how the police operate. I was just behind a police car that had its lights on and was speeding through traffic, switching lanes, obviously in a hurry to get somewhere. In a hurry until he reached an intersection where cars were turning left in front of him. Rather than press on and make them stop, he sat there and patiently waited, with his lights on, until the last car made its turn, and then he took off.