Men Going shirtless in the LOS. acceptable or not

danasutton

I have a an athletic body with not much flab so I don't think I am obscene to anyone.

Wrong. Keep it at the beach and at the swimming pool.

A shirtless muscular monkey man is just as ugly as an overweight fat bellied man, and it should be kept for the beach or swimming pool.

• Like 1

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a Thai guy going into a 7-11 shirtless yesterday on Ratchada road.

Does not mean it is acceptable in Thailand (by Thais), just that a Thai guy went into a 7-11 shirtless.

Probably Cambodian or Burmese.

Yes, Thai guys are not as shameless as shirtless Farangs.

Do you know what melanoma is? Keeping walking about without a shirt and you will know soon enough.

And yes, it is considered offensive to go about shirtless. Despite the crass image of Bangla Rd and Walking Street and Patpong, Thailand is a conservative place when it comes to displays of flesh. Only whores, the mentally ill and disrespectful foreigners walk about in public without a shirt.

I dare you to say that to all the men in my village,of all ages and shapes.I just follow their lead.You would have to be insane to wear cloths in this heat.

You would have to be insane to expose a shirtless ugly body walking about in the street disgusting everybody.

The only thing worse than seeing a shirtless guy is seeing one with a tank top and massively ugly tattoos. That is the height of tat.

(Why does anyone get a tattoo? Genuine question. They are nearly always tasteless and vomitous.)

There is nothing worse than a shirtless guy, but the tank top and ugly tattoos sure come close.

• Like 1

I think the message is out there. Beach and pool ok. Anywhere else, discourteous and disrespectful.

What interests me, though, is if people disagree that why do they not see the reactions to them?

I suppose you could answer they're just blind or insensitive. Trouble is that particular form of blindness comes back to bite you in the form of bad service, etc. I've seen the service reaction guys get in central Bangkok as they march around in shorts and wife-beater or no shirt - it ain't quite the same as the guy in business trousers and nice, traditional, buttoned shirt gets!

I think the message is out there. Beach and pool ok. Anywhere else, discourteous and disrespectful.

What interests me, though, is if people disagree that why do they not see the reactions to them?

I suppose you could answer they're just blind or insensitive. Trouble is that particular form of blindness comes back to bite you in the form of bad service, etc. I've seen the service reaction guys get in central Bangkok as they march around in shorts and wife-beater or no shirt - it ain't quite the same as the guy in business trousers and nice, traditional, buttoned shirt gets!

If a shirtless Farang comes close to me I can guarantee you will see a reaction.

When in Rome do as the Romans do. Look around, if you see 10% of the Thai men going shirtless then you can go shirtless 10% of the time. If Thai men only go shirtless at the beach or swimming pool act accordingly. Thai men do go shirtless around the house - that I know. I know foreigners go shirtless here no doubt trying to attract Thai women with their white skin, but when they see other foreigners wearing shirts, there is some embarrassment and they put on a shirt.

A big factor in Thailand is the sun. Getting burned or blackened is no fun and that is the main reason Thais cover up - even wearing balaclavas under the blazing sun.

Think about how much you go shirtless in your own country and on what occasions.

You have to come up with your own answers. If you get it right, you will seldom feel uncomfortable.

Without question...Russia is the place to go shirtless...even their leader...the Pres...does...but be aware...gays are not accepted...

russia has nothing against gays. they simply don't like the current overt agenda being directed at children and familys. most normal people don't.

oh, i think you will find as many if not more shirtless photos of Obama on the net than Putin.

Edited by jonesthebaker

I was stopped at a police checkpoint several years ago despite i was driving my minibus with tinted windows i was told to put my shirt on, reason for no shirt while driving was the A/C had stopped working. IRRELEVANT !!

In the village i see a lot of the old guys walking around the houses shirtless,but i never see it in the local town,on the beach or at the pool okay,but elsewhere i think it just portrays you as classless.

This answer surprice me actually!! It is well known that in the invironment in villages and or at thye countryside where people often are more olrtodox if I may call it that. There are an opinion amongst the thai that it is really classless to go outisde your property with bare chest.... So if you have seen a lot of those guys, maybe you should inform them that their behaviour is casting a shadow on all other falangs...

However I do not know how it is in Pattaya, bangkok or Phuket, maybe it is more OK there where there are thousand of tourists around......But I suspect that it is much more OK there..

Glegolo

I was taught that being shirtless is best reserved for the beach, the pool, some sports, in bed or when showering. Beachwear is for the beach. Underwear is not outerwear. Proper attire and respect is an alien concept to some Thais and foreigners alike.

The sun is brutal here and I reduce the chance of skin cancer and other problems by wearing a shirt outdoors along with sunscreen and a hat.

• Like 1

Do you know what melanoma is? Keeping walking about without a shirt and you will know soon enough.

And yes, it is considered offensive to go about shirtless. Despite the crass image of Bangla Rd and Walking Street and Patpong, Thailand is a conservative place when it comes to displays of flesh. Only whores, the mentally ill and disrespectful foreigners walk about in public without a shirt.

You can add driving without a shirt to the list, BIB are just waiting for any excuse to feed their appetite for tea. But, after 4 posts, selfie avatar, and full name, you'd think the OP would know this.

Edited by unanimosity

.. .. .. ..

However I do not know how it is in Pattaya, bangkok or Phuket, maybe it is more OK there where there are thousand of tourists around......But I suspect that it is much more OK there..

.. .. .. ..

Unfortunately, good taste of some Europeans, Russians, and other Western tourists seems to be left at passport control when leaving their home country. (also when by the thousands)

People bare breasted or in swimming slips in public (other than in traditional Native Tribal communities) ?

Considered Absolutely Tasteless in any community I lived in (Europe, Russia, Far East, Middle East), and in most places moreover considered disrespectful and pathetic.

Obvious Exceptions: beach and swimming pool, or sunbathing on some public park lawns, and of course inside your own property!

For those that like to walk about half or completely naked:

in Nudist communities people with uncovered breasts are quite accepted, but be aware that the spine and stomach get cold first - LoL

I saw a Thai guy going into a 7-11 shirtless yesterday on Ratchada road.

Does not mean it is acceptable in Thailand (by Thais), just that a Thai guy went into a 7-11 shirtless.

Only if he has lots of tattoos to show off... Some of them really think that everybody should have a look at their body mutilation...

I also wanted to mention the importance of getting vitamin D which you get from the sun. I lift weights and I do not have a beer belly. I have no tattoos. I do not walk into stores shirtless only on my motor bike and only out on the long highways. Thanks for all the comments and I will consider riding shirtless in the future.

Actually why stop at removing just your shirt only on the highway, let it all hang out dude, go completely naked, you already look like a dik, so why go with half measures.

Have you ever thought about what might happen if you fall off the bike without protective gear?

Perhaps the mods can move this to the motorcycle forum so the guys there can appropriately admonish this tool, err I mean troll.

• Like 2

Without question...Russia is the place to go shirtless...even their leader...the Pres...does...but be aware...gays are not accepted...

russia has nothing against gays. they simply don't like the current overt agenda being directed at children and familys. most normal people don't.

oh, i think you will find as many if not more shirtless photos of Obama on the net than Putin.

Putin and Russia most certainly are anti-gay.

Virulently so.

Perhaps you support that but misrepresenting what is going on there disrespects the millions of gay Russians who are living in a very repressive anti-gay regime.

Mr. Putin’s true motives lie elsewhere. Historically this kind of scapegoating is used by politicians to solidify their bases and draw attention away from their failing policies, and no doubt this is what’s happening in Russia. Counting on the natural backlash against the success of marriage equality around the world and recruiting support from conservative religious organizations, Mr. Putin has sallied forth into this battle, figuring that the only opposition he will face will come from the left, his favorite boogeyman.

Mr. Putin’s campaign against lesbian, gay and bisexual people is one of distraction, a strategy of demonizing a minority for political gain taken straight from the Nazi playbook. Can we allow this war against human rights to go unanswered? Although Mr. Putin may think he can control his creation, history proves he cannot: his condemnations are permission to commit violence against gays and lesbians. In May a young gay man was murdered in the city of Volgograd. He was beaten, his body violated with beer bottles, his clothing set on fire, his head crushed with a rock. This is most likely just the beginning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/opinion/russias-anti-gay-crackdown.html

a quote is not an axiom

a quote is not an axiom

Here is a good ON TOPIC thread for you to discuss your denialist agenda about what is happening to GLBT people in Russia. There you can also read many many examples of the real oppression that is going on there which you might consider doing before making further comments:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650565-russias-anti-gay-laws-have-teeth-gay-priders-assaulted/?p=6566637

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

where in the world is it acceptable to walk around with no shirt on? (other than on a beach)

if you are going to visit Thailand at least have the decency to respect their culture

it is most certainly culturally UNACCEPTABLE to walk around here with no shirt on

incidentally, I only disrobe on the beach, I am 46 wear factor 30 sun cream, and have just been diagnosed with skin cancer!

THINK ABOUT IT

I was in Big C, South Pattaya, once and saw a very fat white man walking around shirtless. Everyone was staring at him looking disgusted. I don't know whether it was because he didn't have a shirt or whether it was because he had no trousers or shorts. He was wearing only a pair of very brief underpants. One of those times when I had left my camera at home.

To the OP, please notice how many places refuse entry if you aren't wearing a shirt. Beach, no shirt. Poolside, no shirt. Everywhere else put a shirt on.