From grocery delivery boy to Senate Speaker

Lite Beer

There are many here when someone who really understands the needs and wants of the Thai people

They instantly become agressive and pull his character down

How can we complain about decisions of Thais

when Farlangs have the same failings

Like crabs we pull down any one that look like the can get us out of this mess

Seems to me great politicians start from grocery shops.......prime example, Margaret Thacher.

If he's anything like the wicked witch of the south then Thailand has even more problems,discord and antagonistic politics coming its way. Something I thought was impossible.

• Like 2

Australia had a police officer, become opposition leader then Governor General (Queen Elizabeth 2 rep), never became a billionaire though, onya Bill Haydon.

You seem to be implying that Surachai Liengboonlertchai is a billionaire. Is this true? I can't find a declaration of his assets online (poor search skills?).

• Like 1

A Thai who grew up understanding the "value of work." He sounds like a thoughtful Thai. Too bad he announced his retirement already.

Senators can only sit one term to avoid professional politicians to sit there forever.

Surachai has done well for himself in his career. I admire self-made people.

Too bad he didn't learn anything about democracy though in that time. He was only to happy to participate in the dismantling of an elected government following the military coup, contribute to a new constitution designed to further suppress democracy, and become part of an unelected portion of an institution to assure abortion of any future democratic system. Surachai sadly can be counted as part of the Thai elitist society that has little penchant for equality with the masses.

• Like 1

There are many here when someone who really understands the needs and wants of the Thai people

You do not know who this gentleman is do you? You have relied on a laudatory fluff piece, upon which you make the assumption that he is the greatest thing since sliced white bread. Do you know what his legal background is and what he specialized in? He was a tax lawyer. Do you know what tax lawyers do? They help their clients minimize paying taxes by exploiting tax loopholes. They help wealthy people who import expensive items circumvent the excise taxes. I do not criticize him for that as it was his job to represent his clients, just as it is Mr. Amsterdam's job to represent his clients. However, I find it odd that many of the people who are quick to hurl abuse at Mr. Amsterdam for taking on some fundamental human rights and international cases, that these same people look the other way when a lawyer who made his living helping people avoid paying taxes is made senate speaker. I respect the gentleman for his legal skills and success and do not criticize him for carrying out his obligation to represent his clients. However, in a time where so much is made of needing to have people who will do the right thing, it begs the question as to whether a man who made his living helping people avoid paying taxes is the appropriate person for the job.

When he served on the bar administrative council, why didn't he introduce transparency and accountability regulations when that council redrafted them? Are you aware of any lawyers who are under sanction or have complaints? If you are you would be making history, because the bar association will not provide full disclosure as do bars in other countries. I am not blaming him for that, but I believe he shared the majority view of his peers who did not think it necessary to have such disclosure to the public. And therein lies another of my concerns. He is not a reformer and has no history of such. All of the detractors of the government say reform is needed. Fine. Then why get all giddy over a man who has no history as a reformer?

And now this brings us to the appointed senator. I find it laughable that some on this thread call him a man of the people. He did not present himself to the people for validation did he? What charities is he active in? He's like any other successful Thai, and it is no secret that very few of Thailand's establishment, whether Democrat or PTP or any other political affiliation, give back to society in the same way one sees such people do in the West or Japan or Hong Kong. So much for the people. I offer that there are probably a few TVFers with their limited means who have given more to Thai society than the typical Thai senator.

The very fact that the 40 ultra right wing senators promoted him as their candidate speaks volumes. That is why I am disturbed by his selection. He is part of the old guard who wish to block any movement forward, but who wish to remain in the past. I want to believe that he may be a decent and kind hearted gentleman. I also want to believe that he is charitable and honest. Unfortunately, his record as a senator does not suggest that he is capable of moving any reforms forward or of even being able to negotiate a settlement to the current impasse. He's a tax lawyer, not a labour mediator.

• Like 1

Surachai has done well for himself in his career. I admire self-made people.

Too bad he didn't learn anything about democracy though in that time. He was only to happy to participate in the dismantling of an elected government following the military coup, contribute to a new constitution designed to further suppress democracy, and become part of an unelected portion of an institution to assure abortion of any future democratic system. Surachai sadly can be counted as part of the Thai elitist society that has little penchant for equality with the masses.

There was no elected government at the time for the coup, only a caretaker government clinging on to the jam jar as now.

• Like 1

A Thai who grew up understanding the "value of work." He sounds like a thoughtful Thai. Too bad he announced his retirement already.

Senators can only sit one term to avoid professional politicians to sit there forever.

Really? Why does the Nation Media state the following;

Surachai later sought selection as an appointed senator, which he has been for two terms

You do not know who this gentleman is do you? You have relied on a laudatory fluff piece, upon which you make the assumption that he is the greatest thing since sliced white bread. Do you know what his legal background is and what he specialized in? He was a tax lawyer. Do you know what tax lawyers do? They help their clients minimize paying taxes by exploiting tax loopholes. They help wealthy people who import expensive items circumvent the excise taxes. I do not criticize him for that as it was his job to represent his clients, just as it is Mr. Amsterdam's job to represent his clients. However, I find it odd that many of the people who are quick to hurl abuse at Mr. Amsterdam for taking on some fundamental human rights and international cases, that these same people look the other way when a lawyer who made his living helping people avoid paying taxes is made senate speaker. I respect the gentleman for his legal skills and success and do not criticize him for carrying out his obligation to represent his clients. However, in a time where so much is made of needing to have people who will do the right thing, it begs the question as to whether a man who made his living helping people avoid paying taxes is the appropriate person for the job.

When he served on the bar administrative council, why didn't he introduce transparency and accountability regulations when that council redrafted them? Are you aware of any lawyers who are under sanction or have complaints? If you are you would be making history, because the bar association will not provide full disclosure as do bars in other countries. I am not blaming him for that, but I believe he shared the majority view of his peers who did not think it necessary to have such disclosure to the public. And therein lies another of my concerns. He is not a reformer and has no history of such. All of the detractors of the government say reform is needed. Fine. Then why get all giddy over a man who has no history as a reformer?

And now this brings us to the appointed senator. I find it laughable that some on this thread call him a man of the people. He did not present himself to the people for validation did he? What charities is he active in? He's like any other successful Thai, and it is no secret that very few of Thailand's establishment, whether Democrat or PTP or any other political affiliation, give back to society in the same way one sees such people do in the West or Japan or Hong Kong. So much for the people. I offer that there are probably a few TVFers with their limited means who have given more to Thai society than the typical Thai senator.

The very fact that the 40 ultra right wing senators promoted him as their candidate speaks volumes. That is why I am disturbed by his selection. He is part of the old guard who wish to block any movement forward, but who wish to remain in the past. I want to believe that he may be a decent and kind hearted gentleman. I also want to believe that he is charitable and honest. Unfortunately, his record as a senator does not suggest that he is capable of moving any reforms forward or of even being able to negotiate a settlement to the current impasse. He's a tax lawyer, not a labour mediator.

Bottom line: He advises his clients how to minimize their taxes while complying with the law. And you find this disturbing? "Avoiding taxes" would be working off the books, failing to report, claiming false information, such as keeping employees on the payroll to get tax credits after the employee quit work. "Avoiding taxes" is a criminal act. I would say that in this post you have defamed this individual.

Really? Why does the Nation Media state the following;

Surachai later sought selection as an appointed senator, which he has been for two terms

Thailand's Constitution of 2007

Section 117

The term of the Senate is six years as from the election day or the day of announcement of the

selection result by the Selective Committee for selected senators, as the case may be. Senators shall

not serve for consecutive terms.

This is what the next generation of thai politicians should be made of.

Hardworking humble people, not the politicians with a wealthy background, from corrupt families.

I say Let the army remove all ill-politicians from all parties and start the country from zero

• Like 1