Seven foreigners caught Gambling on horse races in a Pattaya Bar

Rimmer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good riddance, you know you cant gamble here.. this is as bad as doing marijuana also not high on the scale of bad things but illegal here. Those old timers should have known and i can only imagine how hard it was to infiltrate this hardcore gang of OAPs and bring them to justice. I hope the poor infiltrator wont be hunted down by these vicious criminals. Its good that he is still anonymous so he can go on bringing down organised heavy crime in Pattaya.

• Like 1

I am curious what is the penalty for this kind of thing?

The courts have wide discretion. Organizers of illegal activities face stiffer penalties than ordinary punters. Around 50,000 gambling cases annually come before the Thai courts and fines have ranged from 500 baht to 5,000 baht and potential jail stints from a few days to three years. Typically foreign visitors to Thailand are in the category of punters. If they promptly plead guilty, they will usually pay a fine to the court and report to the immigration authorities to be deported back to the country of their passport at their own expense. In minor cases, deportation may be waived at the discretion of the immigration bureau. They may or may not be placed on the immigration black list of banned aliens depending on the seriousness of the crime. If a suspect declares himself or herself not guilty, long term bail and a cash bond will be required. It may take months for the case to be heard in not guilty pleas.

Source

How does the undercover foreigner sleep with himself at night? Putting his fellow countrymen in the nick for gambling on horse racing.

Was he one of the BIB's pet expat cops?

Does a Grass need to have a work permit??

I wonder if these 6 Aussies are the same ones who were caught last year for the same thing.

It's not really hard core gambling, a few drinks and a bet on the ponies with mates.

+1...Police have nothing better to do ?

I still remember a picture of police playing and gambling on the street in-between rests for the BKK shut-down some months ago....

Please enlighten me , what's the difference?

There's a big difference between playing cards, which is not illegal, and playing cards for money which is. Not difficult.

Its pathetic. Go to rajavithi soi 6 and you will see gambling by Thais at the road side . Card games and board games,Nothing done about it by police who live there

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1...Police have nothing better to do ?

Isn't it the job of the police to uphold the law, whatever it is and whether some people think it's petty or not?

I will assume then on this basis that the undercover foreign BIB operative had a WP, otherwise they would technically be breaking the law

They have been sponging of the Australian welfare system for years.

Sorry, Chook... that's a bit foul!

Kiwis are NOT entitled to Aussie welfare benefits. Not now, not planned, not likely.

Aussies, on the other hand, are entitled to Kiwi welfare. Have been for some time, no change planned.

But in the OP, I guess this is one time the Kiwi wished he could fly!!

Thanks for a level playing field wirat69 !! You are correct to point that out.

Chooka it is sad in this day in age you reflect the racist atitudes prevalent in many areas throughout Australia. But I'm so happy not all Australians feel like you. Even those that live in and around St Kilda.

I love Australians and I in my every day life believe in the mateship forged by the Diggers of past. Chill out on the slanging mate.

• Like 2

How does the undercover foreigner sleep with himself at night? Putting his fellow countrymen in the nick for gambling on horse racing.

Was he one of the BIB's pet expat cops?

Does a Grass need to have a work permit??

I doubt there are any work permits which cover snakes

Edited by OnTheRun

Thanks for a level playing field wirat69 !! You are correct to point that out.

Chooka it is sad in this day in age you reflect the racist atitudes prevalent in many areas throughout Australia. But I'm so happy not all Australians feel like you. Even those that live in and around St Kilda.

I love Australians and I in my every day life believe in the mateship forged by the Diggers of past. Chill out on the slanging mate.

Aussies and Kiwi's have been hanging it on each other since we invented the Pav and you invented gum boots for sheep. It is not a racist thing but friendly banter.

• Like 2

Six of foreigners caught were Australian with Mr. Philip Smith, a New Zealander aged 59 as the head of the gambling team.

Never mind about the 6, hang the Kiwi.

The Kiwi should be given an award for taking cash of the Aussies.

They have been sponging of the Australian welfare system for years.

That's payback for nicking Pharlap, Pavlova, and Crowded House. Anyway, Sydney is NZ's 3rd largest city so it seems only fair. whistling.gif

No it's not. We've still got Keith Urban and Russell Crowe!

Ok the law is the law and they broke it. The police were only doing their job which I understand, but what is with the snitch. Nobody likes scum like that especially one who snitches on their own. (in this case a foreigner snitching on another foreigner). Who is this scum and why wasn't his name mentioned? I am wondering, what crime did he commit? My guess and I am only guessing, is that he did something wrong so he helped the police in order to get off his punishment.

Edited by Phuketboy

Police often make people rat out other people. Maybe the guy got framed by the girlfriend who might have planted yaba in his room and called the cops to extract money? What if he didn't have any then? What if stopped by the the cops after having a couple too many beers and didn't have the 20-50K and didn't want to go to jail in Jomtien? What if caught smoking ganja? There is a lot of possibilities here, don't be quick to judge. Most people don't want to get sent home and/or blacklisted and lose the life they build in here for something so trivial.

That said, if he did it only for his own benefit and wasn't in trouble, then yes, that would make him a true scumbag.

Edited by MaikB84

That reminds me I must phone my brother later to put my football bets on,is that also breaking the law.

Since the betting happens outside of Thailand you probably don't break any gambling laws here, though I guess you will need a workpermit to make the phone call.

You only need a Work Permit if you win.

It’s absurd, a mockery of the right to live unencumbered by obsessive regulation. In Thailand gambling is very legal; in the legal method government acquires the ability to generate income through the Thai lottery. Yet resources are used to arrest the "peasants" for playing cards or betting on sporting events. In what twisted turn of fate did normal activities of individuals come under the whim of these mockeries of law.