Chinese envoy urges reconciliation to resolve political stalemate: Thailand

webfact

Chinese envoy urges reconciliation to resolve political stalemate
The Nation

30233419-01_big.jpg
Chinese Ambassador Ning Fukui gives an exclusive television interview recently to Nation Multimedia Group executives, including chairman Suthichai Yoon, left, and Group Editor Thepchai Yong, right.

BANGKOK: -- China's ambassador to Thailand has added his voice to the growing calls from the diplomatic community for all sides in the political imbroglio to try to find a peaceful solution.

While stressing that the Chinese government has no policy of interfering in the internal affairs of its neighbours, Ambassador Ning Fukui said on Thursday that China would like to see reconciliation and peace in Thailand.

"From my talks with many of my Thai friends, there is an agreement that there needs to be some mechanism to prevent a repetition of such political conflicts in the future," he said during his visit to The Nation.

The Chinese government maintains close ties with all parties in Thailand, he said.

"We understand all political parties in Thailand want to have a good relationship with China. And China also wants to have a good relationship with every party," he said.

The visit to Thailand last October by Prime Minister Li Keqiang was meant to raise the Sino-Thai relationship to a new level, he said.

During Li's visit, the Chinese side expressed strong interest in taking part in the now-stalled high-speed train project and committed to buying 1 million tonnes of Thai rice.

The purchase was a gesture of friendship from China, which understood the difficulty Thailand was facing with its rice-pledging scheme, he said.

The Yingluck government at the time gave a different version of the deal, saying China had agreed to take 5 million tonnes of rice over a period of five years. It was also understood then that in return China expected special consideration for its bid for the bullet train project.

Ning said China has strong interest in helping Thailand develop its infrastructure, including rail lines, airports and ports. China's high-speed train technology is comparable to that in the West. The cost is also lower and its safety has been proven, he said.

China's offer to assist Thailand in the development of its infrastructure was a "win-win" approach, he said.

Despite the political conflict, Thailand remains the top destination in Southeast Asia for Chinese tourists, he said. More than 4 million Chinese visited Thailand last year, a jump of 60 per cent from previous years. Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi are their favourite destinations.

More than 100 million Chinese tourists travelled the world last year and according to various estimates, the number will reach 200 million by 2020, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-12

There's the 2.2 trillion plan again. Much much money for the take.

"Ning said China has strong interest in helping Thailand develop its infrastructure, including rail lines, airports and ports. China's high-speed train technology is comparable to that in the West. The cost is also lower and its safety has been proven, he said.

China's offer to assist Thailand in the development of its infrastructure was a "win-win" approach, he said."

The missunderstood fugitive and his clan and China are the most interested groups it seems. "Win-win".

The dems better win the next elections or the kingdom will be in debt for decades. Find a new frontman, clean the ranks and start convincing on the voters.

• Like 1

Each year the gender disparity widens in China. It's a certainty that they have their eyes on sourcing more females in the future. Thailand could play a huge role in China's planning.

laugh.pnglaugh.png ...yes...about 50 truck loads of them in Pattaya for a start!

"From my talks with many of my Thai friends, there is an agreement that there needs to be some mechanism to prevent a repetition of such political conflicts in the future," he said during his visit to The Nation.

In other words political reform to prevent this revolving cycle from happening again.....exactly

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

• Like 1

"The Chinese government maintains close ties with all parties in Thailand, he said"

How about maintaining close ties with the Chinese tourists and teaching them to learn the customs and regulations of the countries they are visiting? Right now I am more concerned about some of these idiots who cannot figure out why everyone except them are driving on the wrong side of the road. I am sure they have caused more casualties than the protest groups.

"Ambassador Ning Fukui said on Thursday that China would like to see reconciliation and peace in Thailand."

Just like the quick reconciliation and peace that resulted from the Tiananmen Square "solution".whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

• Like 1

The country that rules its people with an iron fist would like Thailand to impliment measures that would prevent any political conflicts in the future so that the thai slaves can be more conveniently exploited.

"Ning said China has strong interest in helping Thailand develop its infrastructure, including rail lines, airports and ports. China's high-speed train technology is comparable to that in the West. The cost is also lower and its safety has been proven, he said.

China's offer to assist Thailand in the development of its infrastructure was a "win-win" approach, he said."

The missunderstood fugitive and his clan and China are the most interested groups it seems. "Win-win".

The dems better win the next elections or the kingdom will be in debt for decades. Find a new frontman, clean the ranks and start convincing on the voters.

Yes, it's easy to look at the miss-understood fugitive and notice his Chinese features, and then say that he's massively linked to the men in China. However, I really do think that when we look at the Dems, well, most of them also look Chinese ! I mean, Abhisit definitely looks Chinese, maybe not as much as the miss-understood fugitive, but still, Abhisit does look it ! :)

And also, most of the Thais who vote for Thaksin, and the Red shirts, most of them are rural Issan people, surely, these people are not actually Chinese ? These are Thais who DON"T have Chinese ancestry. But the Thais who are the Yellow shirts, the Bangkok middle-class, the Thais who have got money, or serious money, well, they're the Thais who DO have Chinese ancestry. Yes, they're the ones who are Chinese ! :)

What I'm trying to say, is, it's not just the miss-understood fugitive who has links with China. The Democrats represent Thailand's elite and middle-class, and these people are mainly Chinese-Thais, and some of these people do have links with China.

And you notice in the above picture from the Nation newspaper, all four men are actually Chinese. It's just that the one in the middle is the only one who is from China. The men on the left and right, Suthichai Yoon, and Group Editor Thepchai Yong are Thai people with serious Chinese links.

• Like 1

Each year the gender disparity widens in China. It's a certainty that they have their eyes on sourcing more females in the future. Thailand could play a huge role in China's planning.

Right, so a load of men from China are supposedly, going to come over here to Thailand, and get hold of the Thai women.

Most of us here in Thailand, are here because we also want Thai women ! :)

Are Thai women really the best in the world ? Are they really that good ? Good enough so that men from all over the world come here to be with them ?

Actually, I wonder if the Thai women prefer European men or Chinese men. It might be the case that the Thai women who are not familiar with foreigners might feel more familiar and relaxed with blokes from China ! :)

Yes, it's easy to look at the miss-understood fugitive and notice his Chinese features, and then say that he's massively linked to the men in China. However, I really do think that when we look at the Dems, well, most of them also look Chinese ! I mean, Abhisit definitely looks Chinese, maybe not as much as the miss-understood fugitive, but still, Abhisit does look it ! smile.png

And also, most of the Thais who vote for Thaksin, and the Red shirts, most of them are rural Issan people, surely, these people are not actually Chinese ? These are Thais who DON"T have Chinese ancestry. But the Thais who are the Yellow shirts, the Bangkok middle-class, the Thais who have got money, or serious money, well, they're the Thais who DO have Chinese ancestry. Yes, they're the ones who are Chinese ! smile.png

What I'm trying to say, is, it's not just the miss-understood fugitive who has links with China. The Democrats represent Thailand's elite and middle-class, and these people are mainly Chinese-Thais, and some of these people do have links with China.

And you notice in the above picture from the Nation newspaper, all four men are actually Chinese. It's just that the one in the middle is the only one who is from China. The men on the left and right, Suthichai Yoon, and Group Editor Thepchai Yong are Thai people with serious Chinese links.

My post had nothing to do with Chinese etnicity, I suggested that a new "redshirt" government would go ahead with the 2.2 trillion baht (!) loan for infrastructure.

The biggest and most expensive project would be a highspeed train to China. In my opinion the biggest beneficiaries from that immense loan would be Thaksin and the Chinese companies/government. NOT Thai economy, as I think noone really needs that megalomanic projest.

Remember the costly project of tablets for all schoolkids. Only broken tablets remain because they were of very poor quality and many kids never got the tablet. The Chinese company that sold them went bankrupt. The billions that were paid are gone. No doubt partly into the pockets of the shinaclan.

• Like 1

Yes, it's easy to look at the miss-understood fugitive and notice his Chinese features, and then say that he's massively linked to the men in China. However, I really do think that when we look at the Dems, well, most of them also look Chinese ! I mean, Abhisit definitely looks Chinese, maybe not as much as the miss-understood fugitive, but still, Abhisit does look it ! smile.png

And also, most of the Thais who vote for Thaksin, and the Red shirts, most of them are rural Issan people, surely, these people are not actually Chinese ? These are Thais who DON"T have Chinese ancestry. But the Thais who are the Yellow shirts, the Bangkok middle-class, the Thais who have got money, or serious money, well, they're the Thais who DO have Chinese ancestry. Yes, they're the ones who are Chinese ! smile.png

My post had nothing to do with Chinese etnicity, I suggested that a new "redshirt" government would go ahead with the 2.2 trillion baht (!) loan for infrastructure.

The biggest and most expensive project would be a highspeed train to China. In my opinion the biggest beneficiaries from that immense loan would be Thaksin and the Chinese companies/government. NOT Thai economy, as I think noone really needs that megalomanic projest.

Remember the costly project of tablets for all schoolkids. Only broken tablets remain because they were of very poor quality and many kids never got the tablet. The Chinese company that sold them went bankrupt. The billions that were paid are gone. No doubt partly into the pockets of the shinaclan.

Okay, I'ill take your word for it, that Thaksin is heavily involved in this mega-train project, and he will benefit if the project goes over-head. However, let's just say his family are kicked out of Thai politics. In that case, it will probably be some other Thai people who are going to benefit from the project, assuming that it does go ahead.

About how this project will benefit mainly the Chinese company/government. Well, yes, it does seem to look that nearly all projects that China gets involved in, it's usually the Chinese company who benefits the most. That, I sort of, agree ! By the way, a small point here, most of the projects that America get's involved in, projects outside of the USA, well, people might reckon that the American company usually benefits the most ! :)

Still, there will be at least some benefit for Thailand. The train project will make travel easier between Thailand and China, and should increase the number of tourists here. Although, not that all of us reckon that is a good thing !

Isn't this what the Economist said, and everyone jumped on it for being bought?

Presumably Thaksin has bought the Chinese government too?

No the Economist said to hold an election. Then proceded to blame the Democrats for all of Thailands problems.

During Li's visit, the Chinese side expressed strong interest in taking part in the now-stalled high-speed train project and committed to buying 1 million tonnes of Thai rice.
The purchase was a gesture of friendship from China, which understood the difficulty Thailand was facing with its rice-pledging scheme, he said.S
The Yingluck government at the time gave a different version of the deal, saying China had agreed to take 5 million tonnes of rice over a period of five years. It was also understood then that in return China expected special consideration for its bid for the bullet train project.

Just a sample of the problem with the PTP in power. You never know what to believe. One day Thaksin say's one thing the next day the opposite.

Ning said China has strong interest in helping Thailand develop its infrastructure, including rail lines, airports and ports. China's high-speed train technology is comparable to that in the West. The cost is also lower and its safety has been proven, he said.
China's offer to assist Thailand in the development of its infrastructure was a "win-win" approach, he said.

Indeed it was but it defiantly said no high speed rail to Chiang Mai. It did allow for a spur line to Chiang Rai how ever. If the Government had agreed to it they would have had a fast connection to China. I am not sure however on the high speed trains ability to carry freight. I would think that as they want to start it in Singapore and run it all the way to Peking that it would be able to carry cargo. It was also a line to go all the way and not depend on private industry to do two thirds of it as the PTP plan for the High speed Train to Chiang Mai did.

Also they were talking about double tracking it not going through cities and putting in bridges for highways. Now if that is what would have happened who knows but it did and does sound like a good idea to me.

The 2.2 trillion baht loan had nothing to do with a high speed train to China. The closest it came to China was Chiang Mai and the plan was for the government to only pay for the first leg of a three leg plan. Private industry was going to do the rest.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I do believe the Chinese plan to build a decent High Speed double tracked rail all the way from Singapore to Peking would have been a good deal for Thailand. The big problem with the Chinese plan was it did not go to Chiang Mai the Shinawatra home and center of red shirt power. I don't think they are that powerful in Chiang Mai any more but the train was just another populace policy designed to get votes with no economic value to it.wai.gif

The 2.2 trillion baht loan had nothing to do with a high speed train to China. The closest it came to China was Chiang Mai and the plan was for the government to only pay for the first leg of a three leg plan. Private industry was going to do the rest.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I do believe the Chinese plan to build a decent High Speed double tracked rail all the way from Singapore to Peking would have been a good deal for Thailand. The big problem with the Chinese plan was it did not go to Chiang Mai the Shinawatra home and center of red shirt power. I don't think they are that powerful in Chiang Mai any more but the train was just another populace policy designed to get votes with no economic value to it.wai.gif

Better pray the next government will not be a run by the missunderstood fugitive. If so they will get their 2 trillion loan and many many billions will "disappear" Thailand then will bleed for decades.

Edited by EricBerg

Okay, I'ill take your word for it, that Thaksin is heavily involved in this mega-train project, and he will benefit if the project goes over-head. However, let's just say his family are kicked out of Thai politics. In that case, it will probably be some other Thai people who are going to benefit from the project, assuming that it does go ahead.

About how this project will benefit mainly the Chinese company/government. Well, yes, it does seem to look that nearly all projects that China gets involved in, it's usually the Chinese company who benefits the most. That, I sort of, agree ! By the way, a small point here, most of the projects that America get's involved in, projects outside of the USA, well, people might reckon that the American company usually benefits the most ! smile.png

Still, there will be at least some benefit for Thailand. The train project will make travel easier between Thailand and China, and should increase the number of tourists here. Although, not that all of us reckon that is a good thing !

I agree with the rule that countries do investments for their own companies/economy mainly. Huge exception however is the US Marshall help plan for Europe and Japan after WW2. My point is, that if there'll be another shina-puppet government somewhere the next year, that this government will go for the huge 2 trillion baht loan. Very much of that money will disappear. Thaksin pulled corruption to a level unknown for Thailand. Others probably will not be smart enough to do things as evil as the bad guy in Dubai. Certainly not people like lil sis, Jutaporn, Chalerm and their buddies. If the criminal is very smart his revenues from crime will be higher.

The Boyz in Beijing first and foremost want peace and order in Thailand but at just about equal par is a PTP (or successor party) government. PTP and its prior incarnations, the PPP and the TRT are exactly what the Boyz like and the Boyz have liked Thaksin since he organized TRT and rode it into the PM's office.

Thaksin and his nouveau riche elites have always favored the "heavy energy" infrastructure projects the Boyz in Beijing crave, such as the Kra Canal, offshore resource extraction, a deep water port to construct, a high speed rail line of some sort, any sort, in addition to the further growth of Raynong and also numerous damming, bridging and road projects all over Thailand. PTP would take Thailand nuclear if it could..

The Bangkok elites reject this "heavy" energy approach to strongly prefer "light energy" development, meaning none of the above but no Kra Canal first and foremost. It's interesting the 'light' energy advocates are the same long established Sino-Thai Bangkok elites who are strongly resisting Beijing's passion to hard pave Thailand as the Boyz have hard surfaced the eastern half of the PRC.

Thailand and the entire East Asia-SE Asia-South Asia region sorely need extensive and massive new infrastructure in order to develop. Corruption is their norm, it's just that the heavy energy projects involve enormous amounts of bucks that also attract global investors and the financial experts the region also needs so immediately.

The PTP in government would result in an appreciable expansion of Thailand's GDP and would remake the landscape, while the DP in power would mean the endless stream of subsidies to rubber and also rice farmers while plentiful chicken and pork on the table would substitute for socio-economic development.

Forget the high speed stuff. Most of it would have been low speed freight stuff. Which is desperately needed to get Thai commodities to port more cheaply and quickly than today.

Of course we won't wonder on who's side the massive trucking families of Thailand mainly sit, and why they might be opposed to this development.

The Boyz in Beijing first and foremost want peace and order in Thailand but at just about equal par is a PTP (or successor party) government. PTP and its prior incarnations, the PPP and the TRT are exactly what the Boyz like and the Boyz have liked Thaksin since he organized TRT and rode it into the PM's office.

Thaksin and his nouveau riche elites have always favored the "heavy energy" infrastructure projects the Boyz in Beijing crave, such as the Kra Canal, offshore resource extraction, a deep water port to construct, a high speed rail line of some sort, any sort, in addition to the further growth of Raynong and also numerous damming, bridging and road projects all over Thailand. PTP would take Thailand nuclear if it could..

The Bangkok elites reject this "heavy" energy approach to strongly prefer "light energy" development, meaning none of the above but no Kra Canal first and foremost. It's interesting the 'light' energy advocates are the same long established Sino-Thai Bangkok elites who are strongly resisting Beijing's passion to hard pave Thailand as the Boyz have hard surfaced the eastern half of the PRC.

Thailand and the entire East Asia-SE Asia-South Asia region sorely need extensive and massive new infrastructure in order to develop. Corruption is their norm, it's just that the heavy energy projects involve enormous amounts of bucks that also attract global investors and the financial experts the region also needs so immediately.

The PTP in government would result in an appreciable expansion of Thailand's GDP and would remake the landscape, while the DP in power would mean the endless stream of subsidies to rubber and also rice farmers while plentiful chicken and pork on the table would substitute for socio-economic development.

The Bangkok business old boys expect any significant development to bring business their way.

They do not expect Thaksin mates to get more than their fair share. That is how it goes and how it is expected.

The Bangkok business old boys expect any significant development to bring business their way.

They do not expect Thaksin mates to get more than their fair share. That is how it goes and how it is expected.

Yes but the Bangkok corporate ol' boys are resisting too many of the capital development infrastructure projects advocated by PTP, foreign investors, global markets, to be regarded as friendly.

The massive and huge bucks Kra Canal project, conveniently omitted from mention by Beijing's resident schemer in the OP, is the signal project that identifies who's with 'em and who's against 'em. The Bangkok elites and ammarts are firmly against it, completely, absolutely, no question, which marks the old guard Sino-Thais of the capital city as undeserving of any of the take.

The military, where the Sino-Thais haven't ever had much clout or presence, is opposed to Kra for ideological and nationalist reasons. The military through and through opposes splitting the lower section of Thailand from the rest of the country. The brass hats see the Kra Canal as a huge gash slashed through Thailand so they too are regarded as uncooperative interlopers when they demand their "fair share" of the total take.

The Boyz in Beijing run massive, humongous corruption schemes in their own country and see the Kra Canal as a peanuts project compared to, say, their own Three Gorges Dam that disappeared an area of the SW PRC the size of central Thailand, but the Kra is central to regional and global commerce and the CCP's firm scheme that what are now the Asean nations return to their tributary status of China, this time as the grouping it had become.

Right, Publicus wrote :

[The Bangkok elites reject this "heavy" energy approach to strongly prefer "light energy" development, meaning none of the above but no Kra Canal first and foremost. It's interesting the 'light' energy advocates are the same long established Sino-Thai Bangkok elites who are strongly resisting Beijing's passion to hard pave Thailand as the Boyz have hard surfaced the eastern half of the PRC.]

I do partly agree with Publicus !

My point is, is that there are a fairly large number of anti-Thaksinites on Thai Visa, and some (but NOT all) of them dislike Thaksin because they see him as a Chinese (foreign) business tycoon who has taken over Thailand. They regard Thaksin and his family as being symbolic of the Chinese take-over of Thailand. I'm certainly not saying that Mr Ericberg is one of these people !

Publicus has gone and called them the "long established Sino-Thai Bangkok elites", well, that's the same thing as "a load of Chinese who are mega-rich, they live in Bangkok, they've been there for generations, they inherited serious money from their parents, and they want to increase their money". :)

Yes, for those people who slightly resent the Chinese take-over or influence in Thailand (yes, we see plenty of childish and silly comments on Thai Visa, about how rude they are, they spit, they eat very noisily, they have no manners, etc), well, they should actually be cheering on Thaksin, and NOT be against him. After all, most of the voters of the Thaksin Party are the rural Issan Thais. The Democrats represent Thailand's elite and middle-class, a group who are mainly Chinese ! :)

Right, Publicus wrote :

[The Bangkok elites reject this "heavy" energy approach to strongly prefer "light energy" development, meaning none of the above but no Kra Canal first and foremost. It's interesting the 'light' energy advocates are the same long established Sino-Thai Bangkok elites who are strongly resisting Beijing's passion to hard pave Thailand as the Boyz have hard surfaced the eastern half of the PRC.]

I do partly agree with Publicus !

My point is, is that there are a fairly large number of anti-Thaksinites on Thai Visa, and some (but NOT all) of them dislike Thaksin because they see him as a Chinese (foreign) business tycoon who has taken over Thailand. They regard Thaksin and his family as being symbolic of the Chinese take-over of Thailand. I'm certainly not saying that Mr Ericberg is one of these people !

Publicus has gone and called them the "long established Sino-Thai Bangkok elites", well, that's the same thing as "a load of Chinese who are mega-rich, they live in Bangkok, they've been there for generations, they inherited serious money from their parents, and they want to increase their money". smile.png

Yes, for those people who slightly resent the Chinese take-over or influence in Thailand (yes, we see plenty of childish and silly comments on Thai Visa, about how rude they are, they spit, they eat very noisily, they have no manners, etc), well, they should actually be cheering on Thaksin, and NOT be against him. After all, most of the voters of the Thaksin Party are the rural Issan Thais. The Democrats represent Thailand's elite and middle-class, a group who are mainly Chinese ! smile.png

Yes, it's a question of how many angels can fit on the head of a pin and you put your finger right on the pin and on all of the angels too. Well, maybe not angels.

On the head of the pin are a swirling swarm of complexities, conflicts, hostilities, commonalities, alliances, nuances, distrust, scheming, loyalties, shifting loyalties etc etc etc.

Yet the long and the short of it are that Thaksin cooperates with the Boyz in Beijing in economic development while simultaneously and fundamentally being anchored in Washington, Wall Street, the City / London.

Abhisit and the Sino-Thai elites and ammarts of Bangkok are resisting Beijing, Washington, London. The Bangkok elites restrict their interaction with the Boyz in Beijing by only saying nice things about them while stiff arming Washington / Wall Street and the City / London - a plague on all their houses. The ammarts of Bangkok and the South the DP protects continue to subscribe to a calibrated globalized self-sufficiency.

The long proposed Kra Canal Thaksin strongly advocates would chop up the Surat and transform it radically, overturning established and long settled arrangements in Hat Yai and, still more significantly, in Nakon Si Thammarat. The Kra impact would spill over into Krabi and Pukett. Southern Thai connections to sleepy northern Malaysia and bustling Penang also would get scrambled. Suthep was anyway a natural opponent of Thaksin but all this makes Suthep Thaksin's mortal foe.

Meanwhile the population of the northern arc of Thailand from Myanmay to Laos to Cambodia reap the benefits of GDP growth without any of the major disruptions.

Which makes TVF feudalist fahlang right in respect of their own concerns but for real world reasons they have yet to realize or fathom.