BOI encourages more tourism investments

webfact

BOI encourages more tourism investments

PNECO570512001000601_12052014_032103.jpg

BANGKOK, 13 May 2014, (NNT) - MR. Udom Wongwiwatchai, Secretary General of the Board of Investment (BOI), revealed that the agency is currently talking with the Ministry of Tourism and Sports on ways to improve investment strategy to benefit the tourism industry. He said an emphasis will be given to tourism clusters to make sure the overall development will cater to the right tourist segments.

According to the Secretary General, 8 tourism clusters have been targeted for promotion because of their potentials. They are: the Lanna and upper-northern civilization cluster, the eco-tourism based world heritage cluster, the lower-northeastern civilization cluster, the Mekong River lifeline cluster, the central river basins cluster, the active beach cluster, the royal coast cluster, and the ocean cluster.

Mr. Udom mentioned that the BOI used to place its priority on tourism, but the campaign did not receive much attention from investors, as 80% of investments seeking promotional privileges were related to hotel-related businesses worth around 80 billion baht.

He said the BOI would employ investment mechanism to pinpoint tourism clusters and bring added values to the tourism industry. The Secretary General was confident that tourism investments would become greater once promotional strategy on major and supporting tourism segments becomes clear-cut.

Secretary General Udom also said the new National Investment Plan scheduled to take effect on January 1st, 2015, may be delayed until a new government is formed. The BOI deems that problems may ensue if the plan is being implemented without support from a stabilized administration.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-13 footer_n.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the threat of civil war being muttered nationwide they are starting to promote for investment in tourism? Really?

I hope they know how to isolate and market to people who have made enough money be of interest yet remain naive enough to support an undernourished tourism infrastructure that was established to cope with the amount of visitors this country could expect if it didn't keep on kicking itself in the bo****ks on the international stage.

• Like 1

heres an idea ..an ONLINE TOURIST VISA service

Over 95% of the tourists they want (that is, "the right tourist segments") can already fly right in and stay just about the length of time they're welcome- without even needing with a visa.

Edited by impulse

The Phuket dive industry has been a really good example of why investors are becoming shy of Thailand......cops extorting money....

I think Thailand now for me would be the last place to invest in tourism.......there's too much to be cleaned up here!

• Like 2

Tip nr 1: clean up your mess at the rivers and beaches... You will find out that tourists hate garbage

Tip nr 2: Do something with eco tourism while you have some nice forests and sea life left

Tip nr 3: Learn English to accommodate your tourists

Tip nr 4: Think of tourisme in the long run, it's not good when they feel ripped of

Tip nr 5: Charge the same prices for all, no separate Thai/ Farang

etc , etc

I think some more people can add here !!!

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

i can, pls stop making out english is the all of the world, it is not, they have 1.7 billion chinese next door.

to speak english is usefull, but it wont break thailand if 1 million english speakers go and 100 million chinese replace them.

and by the way i speak 5 languages, but even i admit, i should learn chinese, which i dont speak.

They should focus on making Thailand more tourist friendly and crack down on all the scams in Pattaya and Phuket, clean the cities up and make them clean, nice destinations that quality tourists will want to go to. It's always amazed me that there is no really NICE places along the beach for dining in Thailand. If you go to Hawaii, Mallorca and places like that you'll find really clean, manicured and well planned areas with nice restaurants overlooking the ocean. Here, I have to say, I rarely see a nice restaurant along the beach. And if you do, once you leave the premises it's the same old ugly architecture that plagues every town in this country amid the filth and poor street planning.

Edited by spermwhale
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Tip nr 1: clean up your mess at the rivers and beaches... You will find out that tourists hate garbage

Tip nr 2: Do something with eco tourism while you have some nice forests and sea life left

Tip nr 4: Think of tourisme in the long run, it's not good when they feel ripped of

etc , etc

wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20> wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20> wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

i can, pls stop making out english is the all of the world, it is not, they have 1.7 billion chinese next door.

to speak english is usefull, but it wont break thailand if 1 million english speakers go and 100 million chinese replace them.

and by the way i speak 5 languages, but even i admit, i should learn chinese, which i dont speak.

And your English needs help too. But the rest of the list is oh so true.

• Like 2

heres an idea ..an ONLINE TOURIST VISA service

Over 95% of the tourists they want (that is, "the right tourist segments") can already fly right in and stay just about the length of time they're welcome- without even needing with a visa.

I'm not privy to the data concerning over 95%. Can you share? Thanks in advance.

They should focus on making Thailand more tourist friendly and crack down on all the scams in Pattaya and Phuket, clean the cities up and make them clean, nice destinations that quality tourists will want to go to. It's always amazed me that there is no really NICE places along the beach for dining in Thailand. If you go to Hawaii, Mallorca and places like that you'll find really clean, manicured and well planned areas with nice restaurants overlooking the ocean. Here, I have to say, I rarely see a nice restaurant along the beach. And if you do, once you leave the premises it's the same old ugly architecture that plagues every town in this country amid the filth and poor street planning.

I agree. Try finding a green belt or park in Pattaya. The nearest to a park I could find was in Naklua at the north end of Pattaya.

Parks don't generate revenue I suppose. There is no room for trees, shrubs, flora or fauna when it has all been pushed aside for food stalls, massage parlors, motorbike rentals, souvenir shops, eateries, bars, etc.

The area in Pattaya is overrun with businesses that do little to enrich the lives of locals and visitors alike. I would recommend bulldozing 2x2 kilometers of the central core and making it a green area, devoid of cars, Tuk-Tuks, scooters, hookers and the like.

But then, I always liked a good fairy tale as a kid. LOL.

• Like 2

Thailand the HUB of clusters

Why not build 8 mega malls all over Bangkok ... wait already done

How about they build to many condos ... wait ....

How about a cluster of uninformed who can fall to jet ski scam ..... wait ...

Hey Thailand .... take care of what you have and do not ruin it ... it will grow naturally ..... oops too late

Couldn't agree more!!

Edited by the girl you left behind

etc , etc

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

100 million Chinese ? you would be swimming in spit. If you speak 5 languages perhaps you could also learn to use capital letters where appropriate.

• Like 1