Durian and alcohol ?

The wife bought a durian yesterday and I like durian however apparently you can't eat durian while you have alcohol in your system.

My son turns up today and confirms this and all but one piece saying have it the morning when the alcohol is out of your system.

Can anyone confirm that's it a fact that the mixture of the two raises the body temp or is it an old wives tale?

I feel like I'm running into the soup nazi from Seinfeld except its fruit!

NO DURIAN FOR YOU,

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Durian raises your Blood Pressure so if you are prone to high Blood pressure (hypertension) anyhow Durian is not a good thing to eat.

But other than that it's not dangerous.

Or to put it another way, excessive drinking, eating a lot of Durian, and sex all raise your blood pressure.

Which one do you prefer giving up?

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Seriously, if someone said this to me I would just grab a thermometer, eat durian and measure my temperature every 30 minutes to show the person that they were wrong.

(Or right, of course- obviously I don't believe it, but the test would prove it one way or the other!)

It does make you feel funny.

Yes, it does indeed. A friend any I mocked my wife for telling us not to drink if we were going to eat the durian that she had brought home. We thought just another Thai thing.... But after eating it on top of beer did feel somewhat strange. Neither of us have combined the two again.

Hard to describe how I felt, but just not right - more queer than usual!

• Like 1

I used to combine the two all the time and I love it. Been in KSA two years now missing my spiky smelly friend with the soft heart. Back next month for two months. It's gonna get smelly in our house. The durian poo the next day has a pretty strong flavour too!!

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Little ot...

6 months after giving birth my wife ate fresh durian and had a severe reaction from it. The doctor said it was durian reacting to a chemical change in the body from pregnancy. Was quite scarey, swelling, welts, heavy heart palpatations, shes eaten it plenty and never had an issue, but after that shes never eaten it since.

So perhaps there is truth to the op, just depends on whos eaten the stuff.

Edited by krisb

Urban legend.

That's what I used to think, same like people telling eating durian raises male potency. But one night eating quite a bit of durian and drinking about 4 beers made me change my mind. I had to cut short my bar crawl because I got the runs, and the whole next day I was feverish. Could have been coincidence, but never felt like putting that to the test.

Durian is extremely high energy food, alcohol stacks on that, so if you are weak or have high blood pressure, are pregnant, can't handle alcohol (like many Asians), diabetes, etc. than you have to be careful.

By they way, ripe durian contains alcohol already by natural fermentation like many other sweet fruits in the sun :P

...you can't eat durian while you have alcohol in your system.

I used to hear the same "Old Wives' Tales" about bananas and booze. This thread seems to have attracted quite a few of the old dears.

Durians: 8 Myths and Facts About the King of Fruits

3. Eating durians and drinking beer at the same time may kill you

There is no scientific evidence to show that this is a lethal combination. It is more likely to cause bloating, indigestion and discomfort as your liver has to work extra hard to metabolise both fats and sugars in the durians and the alcohol, especially if you have consumed both in excessive amounts.

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/DietandNutrition/Pages/durians-8-myths-and-facts-about-the-king-of-fruits.aspx

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I think durian does raise body temperature. I think so because of a special tool I've got. It's called a thermometer.

Rectal or under the tongue? I think the former one is more accurate. :D

I've eaten it together with alcohol many times, against my wife's and her family and relatives' advice, nothing happened, ever, but I don't drink a lot.

They also don't eat Jack Fruit with alcohol, because it looks a bit like durian so must be the same thing. They also turn off their mobiles when it starts raining because you'll get hit by lightning. :D

• Like 1

This same belief is prevalent throughout southeast Asia, and I'm not so sure it's pure myth. I once ate a durian puff (i.e., durian paste, not fresh durian) with a quantity of beer. My stomach ballooned out and it was bloody uncomfortable... i wasn't close to death, but death would have brought some needed relief. As an experiment, I subsequently bought some fresh durian and dropped a piece of it in a glass of beer. The beer started throthing like mad. Not sure if it was a reaction to the carbonation or the alcohol, but I guess that was the reaction that had happened in my stomach. I have never mixed durian and beer since, in my stomach or otherwise.

Anyone who wish to defy the odds can try but I have witnessed 3 deaths in Singapore relating to durian + alcohol deaths.

Do you have any links for reference please ? I hope it's not the same as the new urban legend about how 1000 boats can push the flood water out of Thailand hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1