why are white cars 7K baht more?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if Lexus still use this pearl white, but I used to own one of these, and it was the most beautiful pearl white I've ever seen. I wonder if Toyota uses this same color? However, even if they do, I doubt they have the same painting process to achieve such a deep luster.

CE85EF04-0503-425F-84F2-39174FAE541E_16.

• Like 1

When I bought my truck, white was the cheapest. I believe is was something like 5k less for white than another color. I guess its not the same now.

So you bought black to save face?

I bought black cause I like black.

Speaking of white though, I saw a new Ford Ecosport in White yesterday for the first time, much nicer than the quickly tiring orange version that looks like hot wheels cargo van for midgets.

When I bought my truck, white was the cheapest. I believe is was something like 5k less for white than another color. I guess its not the same now.

So you bought black to save face?

I bought black cause I like black.

Speaking of white though, I saw a new Ford Ecosport in White yesterday for the first time, much nicer than the quickly tiring orange version that looks like hot wheels cargo van for midgets.

I agree with you on the orange Ecosport. Our new one is the appliance white, and it does look great in the top version with the larger wheels. As in many cars, including that new Mazda 3, it makes all the difference in the world depending on wheels and paint. wink.png

I would say most Thai's prefer white

Unless they're a Thai male insecure over his "macho-ness" ... Then it's just gotta be black.

(Who cares if it makes the air con work harder and uses more fuel?)

blink.png

In Russia white cars are the cheapest. Black are normally the most expensive ones. May be because nobody heard about TiO2 shortage bullshit due to the loads of of it for a long time. :-)

When I bought my black CR-V on Koh Samui, Honda dealer said that white are the most popular here and it is only marketing reason to overprice it a bit.

Edited by la1976

White is the black of the day. They know people will pay for them.

Before this it was black.

Exactly. In short, the answer is "because it's trendy."

Marketers are quick to pick up on the opportunity to make more profit off current trends.

Interesting that 10 years ago you could hardly find a white car on the road here. It was all bronzes and silvers.

Edited by Fookhaht

Unless they're a Thai male insecure over his "macho-ness" ... Then it's just gotta be black.

blink.png

do you have some proof about the air con and fuel consumption being higher in black vehicles.

blink.png

sounds like you had to settle for silver....

White is the black of the day. They know people will pay for them.

Before this it was black.

Exactly. In short, the answer is "because it's trendy."

Marketers are quick to pick up on the opportunity to make more profit off current trends.

Interesting that 10 years ago you could hardly find a white car on the road here. It was all bronzes and silvers.

Maybe because 10 years ago Pearl White was also more expensive than other colours.

blink.png

do you have some proof about the air con and fuel consumption being higher in black vehicles.

What's much more important for heat and aircon fuel consumption are tinted windows. it's the windows that create the 'greenhouse' effect where sunlight enters, is converted to a longer wavelength (heat) and then can't exit. Tinted windows are the answer to reducing heat accumulation in cars, not so much the car colour as most of the inside of the body is insulated anyway.

Lots of goofy answers here, so I'll add my own.

First, there are =many= shades of black. Just look at a paint catalog and try to find the blackest, for example. And black strikes me as high maintenance. The one black car I had many years ago was extremely difficult to keep looking good.

Second, where I live in the north, Thais seem to prefer black and other dark colors. Makes no sense to me, but I see them buying it time and again. No preference for white that I can discern.

Third, there's "white," and then there's =white.= When I bought my Nissan, the dealer tried hard to talk me out of it. "Thai roads are dirty and it will show dirt much more easily; it costs more," and etc. But I insisted. I had to pay exactly 7,000 more for white, because for this particular vehicle, it's pearl. Nissan has a "plain white" as well, that's offered on some vehicles. That comes at no extra charge.

Most of the vehicles I've had for the past 20 years have been white. It's a low maintenance color, in my experience, doesn't show dirt as much (in most cases), and the cops tend not to see it as easily as they see other colors.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, Thai's being so smart know that white is not a colr first of all It is the abcents of color Black on the other has all the colors present in it. Being this is Thailand there still trying figure out how do you take out all the colors from black to get white.cheesy.gifwai2.gif That's Thainess.

not sure if Lexus still use this pearl white, but I used to own one of these, and it was the most beautiful pearl white I've ever seen. I wonder if Toyota uses this same color? However, even if they do, I doubt they have the same painting process to achieve such a deep luster.

CE85EF04-0503-425F-84F2-39174FAE541E_16.

I approve of your choice of colour. I still have my 1986 Typ 44 Quattro (a car guy might know what it is) in Pearl White as my summer ride.

• Like 1

It used to be Toyota and Isuzu (and maybe other brand) basic model pickups were cheaper in white in Thailand.

The extra charge is for the pearlescent colours, originally almost exclusively for white only.

On a side note, I've said that the worst drivers in Thailand (as in an aggressive kind of driving style) are people driving white (unmarked) pickups and the black Mercedes. Two days ago driving south from Bangkok (I know you can't directly do that, but eventually the road bends southward) through a line of thunderstorms, my wife pointed out that three out of four accident sites we saw were:

1. a white pickup truck

2. a white pickup truck

-and-

3. a white pickup truck

All lost control in the heavy rainfall with no other vehicles involved.

The fourth accident was a large bus stop collapsed by a strong squall.

(How do I know? : There were trees and signboards felled and scattered all over as well.)

It used to be Toyota and Isuzu (and maybe other brand) basic model pickups were cheaper in white in Thailand.

The extra charge is for the pearlescent colours, originally almost exclusively for white only.

On a side note, I've said that the worst drivers in Thailand (as in an aggressive kind of driving style) are people driving white (unmarked) pickups and the black Mercedes. Two days ago driving south from Bangkok (I know you can't directly do that, but eventually the road bends southward) through a line of thunderstorms, my wife pointed out that three out of four accident sites we saw were:

1. a white pickup truck

2. a white pickup truck

-and-

3. a white pickup truck

All lost control in the heavy rainfall with no other vehicles involved.

The fourth accident was a large bus stop collapsed by a strong squall.

(How do I know? : There were trees and signboards felled and scattered all over as well.)

you have obviously never seen me drive...wink.png

Edited by bkkjames