Why are farang so unhappy about successful farang in Thailand?

Tmymaimee

Read the topics about how much money someone spends every month. Some guys are proud to buy second hand clothes and eat noodles 3 times a day and sleep with a fan. Why? Its like the backpackers you see that are proud of how dirty and unshaven they are. Its simply disgusting.

I purchased a really nice 2nd hand, Levi shirt from the Thai market for 100bht a while back.

Still wear it every month, it's great. I have no problem with 2nd hand clothes.

I also mostly sleep with a fan, keeps you acclimatized to going out in the day.

No point in being cool all night, then sweating like a pig all day.

no

I go from my aircon bedroom to my aircon car to my aircon office, back to my aircon living room and back to my aircon bedroom..... Works for me.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the topics about how much money someone spends every month. Some guys are proud to buy second hand clothes and eat noodles 3 times a day and sleep with a fan. Why? Its like the backpackers you see that are proud of how dirty and unshaven they are. Its simply disgusting.

I purchased a really nice 2nd hand, Levi shirt from the Thai market for 100bht a while back.

no

I go from my aircon bedroom to my aircon car to my aircon office, back to my aircon living room and back to my aircon bedroom..... Works for me.

You sound proud of your carbon footprint lol

Think of what you're doing to the planet... Tut Tut tut

no

I'm a climate change sceptic. Sleep well in my air con bedroom every night. By the way, been to the heavy industrial zones of China recently? I go 2 or 3 times a year. There is you're real pollution problem unless you agree with black rivers.

no

I'm a climate change sceptic. Sleep well in my air con bedroom every night. By the way, been to the heavy industrial zones of China recently? I go 2 or 3 times a year. There is you're real pollution problem unless you agree with black rivers.

I use my aircon as well, about 3000 a month worth but I'm not air conditioned 24/7

It doesn't do any harm to break a sweat sometimes, might even be healthy :-)

no

Is there any point in you being in Thailand?

All the best stuff is outside.

Open air cafe, restaurants, beer gardens, etc.

Wow, Whereustay is actually talking about something else besides getting laid. How refreshing.

As for the OP, I have no problem with anyone becoming successful in life. I applaud them. The problem is people tend to come on TV and lie about their success, as if to impress people and in essence, making their opinion about anything more credible. Or so they think. Unless it's somehow essential to the issue being discussed, why even bring up your personal wealth?

But why the assumption they are lying? Perhaps they are entirely truthful....you don't know unless you've met them. I'm not referring to personal wealth necessarily. If someone talks about a new Mercedes they bought and the topic was new cars, so therefore entirely relevant to the topic, why so many posters on TV would be negative towards him?

I only ask this because I'm on a sailboat forum for a bit now, and everyone seems to get along so well, are helpful and encouraging. Here it seems like its just so many, angry, bitter people when you talk about so many topics.

a valid point "Whereustay"!

a few years ago there was a thread "How high is your electricity bill?" i posted a scan of mine (something like 13k Baht) and... oh boy! dozens of attacks and personal insults.

today i got my bill for april-may totalling 20,747 Baht and 23 Satang. boaters wouldn't wink an eye. but this is Thaivisa were the often heard tenor is "why do you need aircon? buy some fans. save the planet and drink your beer lukewarm. less electricity means more money for Chang."

now where is my flak-jacket? L-dog%20very%20cut%20small.jpg

Wow, Whereustay is actually talking about something else besides getting laid. How refreshing.

As for the OP, I have no problem with anyone becoming successful in life. I applaud them. The problem is people tend to come on TV and lie about their success, as if to impress people and in essence, making their opinion about anything more credible. Or so they think. Unless it's somehow essential to the issue being discussed, why even bring up your personal wealth?

But why the assumption they are lying? Perhaps they are entirely truthful....you don't know unless you've met them. I'm not referring to personal wealth necessarily. If someone talks about a new Mercedes they bought and the topic was new cars, so therefore entirely relevant to the topic, why so many posters on TV would be negative towards him?

I only ask this because I'm on a sailboat forum for a bit now, and everyone seems to get along so well, are helpful and encouraging. Here it seems like its just so many, angry, bitter people when you talk about so many topics.

a few years ago there was a thread "How high is your electricity bill?" i posted a scan of mine (something like 13k Baht) and... oh boy! dozens of attacks and personal insults.

today i got my bill for april-may totalling 20,747 Baht and 23 Satang. boaters wouldn't wink an eye. but this is Thaivisa were the often heard tenor is "why do you need aircon? buy some fans. save the planet and drink your beer lukewarm. less electricity means more money for Chang."

With an electricity bill from aircon like that I'm sure you wear a fur jacket, even if it was only to survive the temperatures at your pc.

Owning a Mercedes in Thailand -- at least for the Thai-Chinese grandmothers who seem to be the major owners of these cars -- means you always have the right of way. Have you ever seen one of those drivers yield to anyone?

have you ever seen a Mercedes in Thailand with clear glass that you can identify the driver? huh.png

With an electricity bill from aircon like that I'm sure you wear a fur jacket, even if it was only to survive the temperatures at your pc.

the reason for my rather high consumption is that i maintain "slightly" more m² living area at a comfortable but moderate temperature of ~26.5ºC than a chap living in a 28m² shoebox with a ceiling fan.

living in my home country i'd consume 50% more (in a cold winter and hot summermore more than double) the energy for heating and cooling. just the heating oil would be € 8,300 p.a. = THB 368,000 p.a. = THB 30,667/month plus electricity of € 135 = THB 5,980/month.

total THB 36,650/month... duh! tongue.png

• Like 1

This topic has become a joke!

You have USD1m - I have USD2m = I am better than you!

I am young - you are old = I am a stud - you are not = I am better than you!

I date HiSos - you visit the local whorehouse = I am better than you!

The beauty of a forum - you can say whatever you want. Who is going to prove it?

Closer to the mark?

I have very little $$$ - I do visa runs (or just hide)

I live in a cheap guesthouse

I eat at the market - it is now B30! A ripoff?

I have sexual dysfunction - I pay B500-1000 for sex (I cannot afford to go often). Is there a place cheaper for sex? Am I getting ripped off?

Based on input to this forum, the members of TV must have the highest average wealth/income in the world.

Farangs must be the biggest whingers in LOS - cost of living, golf etc. Hell, there are specific topics on the cost of living in CNX for example.

A dose of honesty? Most of us come here for 2 reasons - $$$ & sex (lack of).

A retirement visa for a single - B800,000 bank deposit. Yet, there is an industry doing visa runs.

Get real!

Yahoo! Reality check. Yes - closer to the mark! I agree. True for me the 2 reasons. btw. I got my retirement visa after my first year here, no problem. In almost three years I never had to do a visa run. I give my legit visa guy 11,000Baht a year and that's it - multiple entrée and everything. Never had to make that bank deposit, never go to Thai Immigration. One thing I love about Thailand - If you know the right people, then life is a breeze here.

Legit eh.....................coffee1.gif ...............Hmmmmmmmm, who's that knocking at the door..............w00t.gif

Sounds very legit indeed..... In the Thai sense of the word...

He has no qualms about buying illegal visas but 2 guys eating without their shirts on was worth making a thread to complain about....

What a Cringe worthy character ;-)

Who said it was Illegal? Every city in Thailand has companies with agents who work with you on your visas. 100% legal and certified. If you don't know this to be true, then you haven't done your homework. I wasn't complaining in the other posts about the shirtless guys - asking about what was appropriate.

Yahoo! Reality check. Yes - closer to the mark! I agree. True for me the 2 reasons. btw. I got my retirement visa after my first year here, no problem. In almost three years I never had to do a visa run. I give my legit visa guy 11,000Baht a year and that's it - multiple entrée and everything. Never had to make that bank deposit, never go to Thai Immigration. One thing I love about Thailand - If you know the right people, then life is a breeze here.

Legit eh.....................coffee1.gif ...............Hmmmmmmmm, who's that knocking at the door..............w00t.gif

Sounds very legit indeed..... In the Thai sense of the word...

He has no qualms about buying illegal visas but 2 guys eating without their shirts on was worth making a thread to complain about....

What a Cringe worthy character ;-)

Who said it was Illegal? Every city in Thailand has companies with agents who work with you on your visas. 100% legal and certified. If you don't know this to be true, then you haven't done your homework. I wasn't complaining in the other posts about the shirtless guys - asking about what was appropriate.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know it is illegal, if you can obtain a retirement extension without proving funds in your account or a legitimate income from abroad, AS THE LAW REQUIRES.

buying visas from anywhere but immigration has never been officially legal ......although always been possible due to the corrupt officials and bribe culture

i think youre the one who needs to do some homework on the real laws

and i dont mean the ones the guy who makes your visas tells you is correct

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Anyone who had owns a Mercedes is most likely going to be unhappy. It started with the electrical systems in 2000 and built up with the defective sensors, with the crowning glory of the light bulbs that burnt out after only a few hours. There are a lot of ex owners out there who are justifiably unhappy. They are being joined now by the GM vehicle owners seething at all the defects. Eventually, the BMW owners will show up. The 2 biggest complaints The tan upholstery that stains and discolours so easily and those stupid spring controlled covers over the front light washers that are the most useless pieces of cheap garbage BMW has ever come up with. The things stop working after a few months or just break off. In cases like this, the people get sympathy not anger. It is commiseration.

Back in in 1986 I bought my first Mercedes 350SL.

Ive had a love affair with that model ever since.
Never been one to think the grass is greener.
I now have 3 SLC's, 1975 models which I have restored here in Thailand.
I found these old models reliable and hard to fault.
But I must say I am '' a lucky'' kind of guy.
Never had one of these newer models, so I don't know if Mercedes are crap now.
Not heard my friends complain though.

finally i know the reason why i'm unhappy since 34 years. especially that last Mercedes we bought exactly a year ago. not even 10,000km on the odometer but we had to refuel that crap nearly every month.

at one time there was even birdshit on the windshield! lousy company that Daimler Benz which doesn't fit birdshit rejecting windshields.

bah.gif

buying visas from anywhere but immigration has never been officially legal ......although always been possible due to the corrupt officials and bribe culture

it is not illegal to use an agent to handle (not buy!) visa procedures at immigration authorities. but it is definitely illegal if a visa was procured without the basics (cash in the bank or proof of income) required by Thai law.

I don't know. The place I go has a big Passport Visa sign out front on a main street and has been in business for years. A thriving business - they work with marriage, property and immigration law. I have actual gone once with a staff member to Thai Immigration and didn't have to wait in line, went right back to the official and she stamped my passport, and the staff member paid her. That is their service - interfacing with Thai Immigration for you, for a fee. There is actually another one of these companies on the same street as the American Consulate. If it's against the law it sure is out there in your face.

have yet to meet anyone who is successfully retired who is in anyway or form jealous of those who have to go to work, especially in this country.

i am jealous of my gardener's work when he doesn't work in my garden. he has a wife and two girlfriends unsure.png

have yet to meet anyone who is successfully retired who is in anyway or form jealous of those who have to go to work, especially in this country.

i am jealous of my gardener's work when he doesn't work in my garden. he has a wife and two girlfriends unsure.png

you must be paying him too much laugh.png

• Like 1

I don't know. The place I go has a big Passport Visa sign out front on a main street and has been in business for years. A thriving business - they work with marriage, property and immigration law. I have actual gone once with a staff member to Thai Immigration and didn't have to wait in line, went right back to the official and she stamped my passport, and the staff member paid her. That is their service - interfacing with Thai Immigration for you, for a fee. There is actually another one of these companies on the same street as the American Consulate. If it's against the law it sure is out there in your face.

there are signs up in many farang pubs and travel agents offering the visa "service "

you give them your passport and some cash and you get it back with a new visa stamp without having any travelling to do

other than back to the same pub to collect it etc

used to get them from a minibus driver and im sure the police know all about it because theres signs up everywhere but it

sure aint legal ...........

he's a hard worker (7 years with us) and as adequately paid as his wife who will soon complete her 9th year working for us.

If it's against the law it sure is out there in your face.

Prostitution is illegal and that's not exactly hidden away is it ?

you mean there's visible prostitution in Thailand? ohmy.png

he's a hard worker (7 years with us) and as adequately paid as his wife who will soon complete her 9th year working for us.

he must be a hard worker if hes a gardener and can afford to keep 3 women lol

he must be a hard worker if hes a gardener and can afford to keep 3 women lol

Let me correct that for you son.

he must be a hard worker if hes a gardener and can afford to keep satisfy 3 women

Or if, say, he had three Mercedes, and just wanted to tell us all about them, but then everyone made fun of him and the thread got locked?

As I said, my point was T.I.T!

As I have the 3 cars with the same broker,( notice this time I don't mention the model, less I upset others!!?) the same insurance company and get No claims bonuses on only 2 of the cars with no explanation even offered, why not on the 3rd.

The point made by the replys was I was ''posing'' about having 3 cars and or making it up.( I have 4 cars actually!)

Most choose to ignore my point, which was they refused No claims bonuses on the 3rd car, but with no explanation of why.

My guess is the ''sour'' replys are probably from guys walking across the border every 2-4 weeks!

Who now have a serious visa problem to over come!

4 cars is too much! ask my wife who said "won't it cost a lot of money if you parked an additional car in an underground garage downtown?"

women! dry.png

Or if, say, he had three Mercedes, and just wanted to tell us all about them, but then everyone made fun of him and the thread got locked?

As I said, my point was T.I.T!

As I have the 3 cars with the same broker,( notice this time I don't mention the model, less I upset others!!?) the same insurance company and get No claims bonuses on only 2 of the cars with no explanation even offered, why not on the 3rd.

The point made by the replys was I was ''posing'' about having 3 cars and or making it up.( I have 4 cars actually!)

Most choose to ignore my point, which was they refused No claims bonuses on the 3rd car, but with no explanation of why.

My guess is the ''sour'' replys are probably from guys walking across the border every 2-4 weeks!

Who now have a serious visa problem to over come!

4 cars is too much! ask my wife who said "won't it cost a lot of money if you parked an additional car in an underground garage downtown?"

women! dry.png

I would also consider it a waste of money if the garage was downtown.

Let me correct that for you son.

he must be a hard worker if hes a gardener and can afford to keep satisfy 3 women

theres no guarantees hes satisfying them by himself ,is there ?

each of his three women may have 3+ guys to keep them well serviced laugh.png