Chiang Rai student punished for alarming locals with fake earthquake death photo

webfact

Chiang Rai student punished for alarming locals with fake earthquake death photo
By Coconuts Bangkok

fff.jpg?itok=9LMeznac

BANGKOK: -- A Chiang Rai university student is in hot water after faking her own death online during the recent earthquake.

The female student posted a photo on Facebook of herself bloody and falling down the stairs.

This morning Dr. Komsam Rattanasimakul, assistant rector of Chiang Rai university, took the female student to meet Chiang Rai governor to apologize for the incident.

The student, whose name was withheld in the media, said the fake death photo was taken for fun among her friends two days before the earthquake but was mistakenly shared by friends outside the university during the quake. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/05/15/chiang-rai-student-punished-alarming-locals-fake-earthquake-death-photo

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-05-16

The Uni says the incident will go on her permanent record which could really mean temporary and she " has done " community work.

It should read " will be doing community work " otherwise where's the punishment ? Oh she did apologise to the Governor.

Wonder what her name is, maybe why that's it's withheld ?

• Like 1

One should not judge through western eyes. Had this been done at a western school, there is little likelihood any disciplinary action would have been taken. In Thailand, this is a potent response. The student was forced to take responsibility and to apologize for her transgression. She lost face and brought shame to her family. Word travels fast on a campus and she will suffer scorn and rebukes from staff and student alike. It was an innovative response to a stupid and irresponsible act.

• Like 2

The photo was taken 2 days before the earthquake.

Just a silly prank that somehow was mistakenly circulated around Facebook .

We were all young once and done some silly things and I think the penalty is a bit harsh.

As Geri said it was a potent response and she's learnt her lesson.

Boy this social media can cause some trouble!

• Like 2

One should not judge through western eyes. Had this been done at a western school, there is little likelihood any disciplinary action would have been taken. In Thailand, this is a potent response. The student was forced to take responsibility and to apologize for her transgression. She lost face and brought shame to her family. Word travels fast on a campus and she will suffer scorn and rebukes from staff and student alike. It was an innovative response to a stupid and irresponsible act.

To put this into context. I think, not her "transgression" caused this situation but that the fact that the media picked up on this. Students routinely post photos on facebook that their families and other people in Thai society may consider shameful and nothing ever happens.

Also "scorn" and "rebuke" sounds a bit exaggerated; I'm certain there are many people on campus who disapprove of the girl's deed.

Edited by Morakot

The Uni says the incident will go on her permanent record which could really mean temporary and she " has done " community work.

It should read " will be doing community work " otherwise where's the punishment ? Oh she did apologise to the Governor.

Wonder what her name is, maybe why that's it's withheld ?

Or it could mean what it says that it will go on her record permanently and that she has done some community work as the earthquake was some days ago. If she has done some community work why should the report say she will be doing it?

What does it matter what her name is, maybe she's still considered a minor so obviously her name would be withheld?

.....punished for alarming locals.....

Boy, these locals get easily alarmed.

If it had actually happened I think the death of a young girl, in the manner it apparently occurred, in their community would have been very alarming. Just because you may be unmoved by an incident of this nature doesn't mean everyone else has no emotions.

I am glad the silly girl is OK. I have seen much worse pranks in Western Univerisities and it is unfortunate it got tied in to the earthquake. I do not think it deserves to go on her record. A small amount of community service may be applicable but the main thing is she realises that even seemingly harmless pranks can have consequences and give others concern.

More interesting is the way the Thai newspapers just grabbed an old facebook photo and made up a story that it was a death from the earthquake. Reliable journalism?

If it had actually happened I think the death of a young girl, in the manner it apparently occurred, in their community would have been very alarming. Just because you may be unmoved by an incident of this nature doesn't mean everyone else has no emotions.

If...

... but did it actually happen? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

More interesting is the way the Thai newspapers just grabbed an old facebook photo and made up a story that it was a death from the earthquake. Reliable journalism?

Sensationalism might be a more adequate description.

• Like 1

When are people going to realise that FaceBook is a complete and utter danger to your life. It may come as a surprise to many but all those 'friends' you have on FB are not really friends. Also it has to be fair to be said that the 'friends' you have all have very different levels of intelligence and 'humour'. Some seem to have zero common sense.

My son lost an epic job through his stupidity with Face Book. He came home late one evening having had a tough day and decided to vent off on FB as to what an assh**e his boss was. The following day when he went to work one of his 'friends' thought what he said was so funny he printed it off and put it on the notice board!! The friend was both surprised and sorry when my son was sacked about 3 minutes later. FB is good for some mindless social gaming and for looking at quirky funny jokes, but you should not be putting anything else on there. In fact it reminds me, you should all watch this!! (after watching this, when you go to the bar or a restaurant tonight watch how many people sit playing with their smart phones all night).

• Like 1

If...

Nah, he's right. Next time, I will panic and call 911.

• Like 1

If...

Might not work. Way too complicated. I mean just look at the picture... biggrin.png

800px-9-1-1_System.svg.png

• Like 1

The photo was taken 2 days before the earthquake.

Just a silly prank that somehow was mistakenly circulated around Facebook .

We were all young once and done some silly things and I think the penalty is a bit harsh.

As Geri said it was a potent response and she's learnt her lesson.

Boy this social media can cause some trouble!

For once I agree... and we were all young once and we DID some silly things... but most of us went to school and learnt how to read and write !

If...

Might not work. Way too complicated. I mean just look at the picture... biggrin.png

800px-9-1-1_System.svg.png

Yup, it doesn't work! I just tried to call 911.

Some guy posted a photo of his lunch on Facebook and those calories are gonna kill him. What should I do now? ohmy.png

Taking responsibility, what a novel idea!