Thai visa-van ban at Malaysian border not part of recent crackdown

Thai visa-van ban at Malaysian border not part of recent crackdown
Phuket Gazette -

1_2014517114758582_oRigaaDLVRTEutpDpRtCE

The ban on Thai visa-run vans at the Malaysian border is due to a protest by Malaysian drivers. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

The blockade preventing Thai visa-run vans from entering Malaysia on their way to Penang is not linked to the recent crackdown on visa runs in Thailand, confirmed a KBV Phuket Visa Run staffer.

“Thai visa-run drivers and vehicles have not been allowed to cross the Malaysian border for more than a week now due to a small protest of Malaysian drivers,” the staffer, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

“This is not a new problem for us; minor protests like this occur due to issues regarding driver profits.

“There is nothing to panic about, it's really not a big deal. It's similar to issues we see when local taxi services protests.”

Songkhla Governor Kritsada Boonraj, who is in talks with the Malaysian drivers, was unavailable for comment this morning.

Meanwhile, visa-run companies have already solved the transport difficulties for the Malaysian portion of the trip.

“We are having buses from the hotels we work with in Malaysia pick up customers from the Thai border. Other companies are hiring other vehicles to pick their customers up,” the staffer said.

The Gazette has also received reports of visa runners being transferred to large buses to cross the border before being divided up into smaller vehicles.

“Some of our customers thought the van ban was linked to stricter enforcement on visa-runs by immigration, but it has nothing to do with that,” the staffer added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Thai-visavan-ban-Malaysian-border-not-part/29468

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-17

Good. I hope the scarcity of transport on the Malaysia side spurs a little hotter trade in busses.
First time I wandered across that bridge beyond Hat Yai was quite a shock- no vans, busses, taxis or hotels.

Dark, raining, alone, and with no available transpoirtation. Makes for a good travel story- ecoomics, not so much.

These malay drivers see income from border-run transport, and want to cut in into this big pie.

Bit crazy that the border control is falling for the demands from the Malay drivers, but yeah, this is Asia

Talked to some guys in Malaysia and they said they where not allowed to drive vans with passengers into Thailand anymore.

And so now Thai vans can not enter Malaysia anymore. Don't if its true but that was the talk in Chullia street Penang

Good. I hope the scarcity of transport on the Malaysia side spurs a little hotter trade in busses.

First time I wandered across that bridge beyond Hat Yai was quite a shock- no vans, busses, taxis or hotels.

Dark, raining, alone, and with no available transpoirtation. Makes for a good travel story- ecoomics, not so much.

You know, I have been coming to Hatyai since 1990, and have yet to see that 45km long bridge to Malaysia.

There wasn't a bridge there last year when I last went to Hat Yai. Wouldn't want to cross it if there was.

Talked to some guys in Malaysia and they said they where not allowed to drive vans with passengers into Thailand anymore.

And so now Thai vans can not enter Malaysia anymore. Don't if its true but that was the talk in Chullia street Penang

Private vans of course would still be allowed I presume? I saw quite a few Malaysian vans (and buses) in Ao Nang, Krabi just under 3 weeks ago. However, the buses I saw were private buses not operating on set routes, whilst the vans were privately owned.

These malay drivers see income from border-run transport, and want to cut in into this big pie.

Bit crazy that the border control is falling for the demands from the Malay drivers, but yeah, this is Asia

It's so disappointing that there are so many quibbles about driving a vehicle across an international border simply due to "lost income" from the neighboring country. In Europe and North America, there is none of this BS (well, with the exception of Mexican trucks entering the US, which are effectively banned as they may only enter a few km/miles to pickup/drop off goods on the US side but after having lived in El Paso, TX a border city next to Mexico, I don't recall seeing even one Mexican registered truck, ever. Luckily, private vehicles can still enter Malaysia from Thailand without any problems (I presume)? It's excuses like this that effectively mean you have to park your vehicle at the border when you enter Cambodia (although some border crossings allow Thai cars across) as is the case with Myanmar (although security concerns were a major reason for not allowing independent self-driven travels to be conducted up until now).

I really doubt that it's immigration or border control enforcing this. I agree ... why would they? Also, I've been told that vans can enter, it's just that they'll get fined 600 RM (6000 baht) if they're caught. I don't know how they'd get caught. I'm staying at a hotel in Georgetown now, and was surprised to see a van with a Thai plate yesterday at the hotel. He snuck across, with passengers, and will come and go again.

My first and last Visa Van run, the van stopped at the border, we got out, went through immigration then used taxi's on the Malaysian side.

Hasn't it always been like this?

Many falangs in Southern Thailand use taxis to get to Malaysia and back--the taxis are allowed through the border (and they usually fill-up their gas tanks) and stop-over at the duty free, then bring you back across the border to home. It costs approximately B600 per trip from Hatyai.

My first and last Visa Van run, the van stopped at the border, we got out, went through immigration then used taxi's on the Malaysian side.

Hasn't it always been like this?

Many falangs in Southern Thailand use taxis to get to Malaysia and back--the taxis are allowed through the border (and they usually fill-up their gas tanks) and stop-over at the duty free, then bring you back across the border to home. It costs approximately B600 per trip from Hatyai.

You wrote about a border run for a new entry. Topic is about a visa run to Penang.

• 1 month later...

What is the fee for a Malaysian Visa on Entry (30 days I presume) ? What is the usual form of payment... Malaysia currency or Thai currency or U.S. / U.K. ?

There is no visa on arrival or fee for entry to Malaysia. Most western country passport holders get a free 90 day entry.