Has anyone experienced living in one of those grungy looking apartment buildings?

This question is for other guys to aren't too picky about living conditions, especially building aesthetics. A few days ago when I was walking around, asking for rent prices, I couldn't help but notice that pretty much all buildings that showed signs of exterior wear were priced below 4,000-5,000/month.

Even in the better areas we were looking at (I have a one-month rental and On Nut, but we were seeing these prices on the lower end units as far up as Thong Lo)

I'm not the type of guy who cares too much about what the exterior of my building looks like. What I am concerned about is security and reliable utilities.

So I'm thinking of trying out living in one of these older buildings. Has anyone else been inside one? What was your opinion of the place?

The exterior of a building is really no indication. The building I live in was painted about 3 years ago, but has faded already from the brutal tropical sun that beats on it every day.

Like the above poster said, go in and have a look.

I've lived in those places. Choose a room without leaks and without mold. The mold (leaks and or bad ventilation cause it) can be a very serious health problem! The only way to get rid of it is steam cleaner and high pressure cleaning with some nasty chemicals. But miss one tiny spot and it grows back very fast.

Apart from that watch for bugs and rats.

Many of those buildings are a fine place to live. You can make the inside of your room as nice as you want... just the hallways look like a prison.

You'll have to go in and look really.

Some buildings that look horrible from the outside are nice inside.

Some that look horrible from the outside are horrible inside.

+1....You can'' judge a book or condo by the outside...Mostly you live inside so that's most important.

Lived in one for 3 months, looked quite good for the first week or two and we had a cleaning lady come in daily but like medkhai I also had an infestation of cockroaches it was rainy season though so it's somewhat expected in these apartments.

Eventually I asked the landlord to move me to another apartment on a higher floor and stayed in that one for a whole month without experiencing any issues, had to climb the stairs but it was worth it.

As far as security is concerned I remember some scooters being stolen in the nearby streets, but nothing reported in the apartments during my stay. Personally I feel safer carrying my money around rather than leaving it in the apartment.

I have been in Bangkok for over six years and until last year I lived in a very small but modern condo. My wifey was never happy for some reason and asked me to think about a Thai style condo. I resisted at first but I moved into one when I changed jobs.

I have to say that I couldn't be happier. I now have people wanting to chat and I'm taking it in on private lessons. Sure I miss the pool and gym but I can have my own internet and cable tv. Regarding the security, no problems there either. My car never gets scratched anymore and they only let residents into the condos.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I live in an old building with no problems. Needs a paint job on the outside but I’m not bothered about that, I’m not here to impress The condo was renovated and made out as new. No cockroaches. Inside building kept clean. I was surprised that everyone living there was so, so quiet. I don’t hear TVs or radios blasting – everyone must meditate, hahahaha! Security is no problem because you need a special ‘key’ to get to the lift (only one of two lifts working), there is a receptionist in the day, and there is a night watchman for the car park and building. Occasionally, the lift might break down but it is repaired immediately and I’ve never had to wait more than an hour for it to work again. Mostly young Thai people living in the building and 2-3 farangs.

I suggest you look at the inside of the building to make sure it is kept clean, then you should have no worries.

Plenty of rooms starting from 2000 thb in Bangkok , I know a teacher living in a 2500 room , its clean and building is not so bad.

Edited by balo

I lucked out and found a very large (70 s/m) room in a large but somewhat shabby Phra Khanong Apartment bldg 10 years ago and I've been happily living here since...my rent never raised from the original 5,500 Baht/mo. Landlords do not raise rents in these places like they do in the farang ghettos.

The place is decidedly "working class" with many nationalities sharing the space but I've never had a hassel or incident of any kind that made me feel unwelcome.

I feel very at home here. I am greeted by my neighbors as I come and go and am invited to many family events. Good, inexpensive food abounds in the area yet a modern supermarket is just blocks away.

Phra Khanong is going "upscale" quickly. A stylish new food court and entertainment area has opened behind the High rise condo tower just past the BTS. The old "69 Hotel" flophouse was gutted and just opened as "The Beat" Boutique Hotel...very slick.

More and more of the shophouses along Sukhumvit close to the BTS are being demolished...condo towers soon to replace them. Like the rest of Sukhumvit, it will soon be nothing but towers and malls....and something special will be lost.

• Like 1

I used to, about 12 years ago. Problem was cockroaches and water leaks from toilet above.

The cockroaches would come from the walls, into the lights, and get trapped by the light glass cover. After a month there were so many that I couldnt see the light anymore (we sealed the glass with silicone).

The leaks from above, they came to fix about 10 times. Held a week, then started again. In different spots. So was like fix here, breaks there.

After a while just gave up and got used to take a crap with drops falling on my head.

Also be careful about mold issues. Somehow all cabinets continually became covered with mold over the food and utensils, but also over the cabinet wooden surfaces. A metal cabinet stopped the latter, but the former was an issue that never got solved.

Mold and furniture, i own many rental properties and have noticed mold issues in some apartments,, i have realized it has much to do with the type of wood the furniture is built out of rather than the apartment conditions,, in the old days furniture was built out of real wood that was environmentally friendly, today we buy the cheap IKEA type disposable furniture that is made from "custom-wood" it's grinded up saw dust mixed with many bad chemicals and glue, you can smell the wood, it's carcinogenic, i know as i worked with that type of wood myself,, this wood soaks up any moisture around you and creates mold, you can never avoid this issue and in Thailand even worse as the humidity is high,, look for furniture not made with "custom-wood" then you should be mold free.

I have been in Bangkok for over six years and until last year I lived in a very small but modern condo. My wifey was never happy for some reason and asked me to think about a Thai style condo. I resisted at first but I moved into one when I changed jobs.

I have to say that I couldn't be happier. I now have people wanting to chat and I'm taking it in on private lessons. Sure I miss the pool and gym but I can have my own internet and cable tv. Regarding the security, no problems there either. My car never gets scratched anymore and they only let residents into the condos.

No wonder Tilak no happy, she with farang man u fan hahahahaha. Wheres me coat

I lucked out and found a very large (70 s/m) room in a large but somewhat shabby Phra Khanong Apartment bldg 10 years ago and I've been happily living here since...my rent never raised from the original 5,500 Baht/mo. Landlords do not raise rents in these places like they do in the farang ghettos.

The place is decidedly "working class" with many nationalities sharing the space but I've never had a hassel or incident of any kind that made me feel unwelcome.

I feel very at home here. I am greeted by my neighbors as I come and go and am invited to many family events. Good, inexpensive food abounds in the area yet a modern supermarket is just blocks away.

Phra Khanong is going "upscale" quickly. A stylish new food court and entertainment area has opened behind the High rise condo tower just past the BTS. The old "69 Hotel" flophouse was gutted and just opened as "The Beat" Boutique Hotel...very slick.

More and more of the shophouses along Sukhumvit close to the BTS are being demolished...condo towers soon to replace them. Like the rest of Sukhumvit, it will soon be nothing but towers and malls....and something special will be lost.

A serious question please

Do you work in Bangkok

A teacher maybe

Could you afford to buy or rent a bigger, nicer, more modern place

YOU eat thai food, can you afford western food, and how much would you pay for a half decent steak. I have lived in Thailand for many years and have upgraded on numerous occasions, u seem to be happy or skint hahahhaahaha

• Like 1

I have not lived in one...but been there with those who do...

The first thing that strikes me is the shared bathroom...may only have one on each floor...the lack of cleanliness...the noise...and the quality of the other tenants...

You get what you pay for...

I stayed in a 3500 - 4500 incl. utilities furnished room before at suk 93. great place, end of the street with 24/7 security at the beginning of the street and night time security at the building.

Must say it was a great time, many nice Thai neighbors few foreigners, also nice. room was very clean, only had some ants a few times never worse than that.

On the other side I moved last year to a big (enough for me) modern condo with nice view, gym, pool, sauna etc etc. I dont think I ever go back to a small room again.

My wife and I lived in a two year old condo building that had roaches running everywhere. Whenever we complained they said all floors the same so don't worry. Moved to a new place and asked them about their regular pest control maintenance....no issues once we had a place with a control system in place.

I stayed in one in Pattaya a few years ago. About half the rooms had been renovated and the rest were in their original state. The inside resembled prison corridors, there was 24 hour noise punctuated by screams, hilarity, rows, karaoke and music. In the corridors food preparation took place in a communal fashion leaving a pungent smell that never went away. I was terrified a fire would start in there. In fact I was staying there around the time of the Ekamai nightclub fire.

Needless to say I wasn't there very long and I'll never repeat the experience.

I too lived at inexpensive place in Phra Kanong (2500 a month, maybe 8 years ago). Loved it. Not that difficult to get used to cold showers and no aircon. Real people in real environment. Never a problem with neighbors or roaches. Great food on the street because no one had a kitchen. I looked with dismay when PK started on road to "gentrification". BTW I could afford to rent a much more spendy place, but saw no reason to.

• Like 2

No wonder Tilak no happy, she with farang man u fan hahahahaha. Wheres me coat
Fair enough lol. She hasn't enjoyed my cursing the tv this last season. This