Thai exceptionalism - a myth or reality?: Opinion

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article seems to suggest and is quite right in suggesting that Thailand would be better if it was run by women.................of course NON SHINAWATRA women!

But i would like to ask Thai Visa...... why can posters not refer to the King but you can publish articles about him? Please can you clear up the rules here for everyone?

This article (it is not meant to be a scholarly paper) is not the listing of the exceptional Thai things - I read it more as a reminder of the (lack of) qualitiy in the Thai educational system and the need of reforming it.

A lot of Thais have no clue of what is happening outside the borders of Thailand, and this lack of cross cultural understanding can be a serious obstacle for the Thais to benefit from the possvbilities of AEC e.g. in terms of goods and knowledge exchange, business projects and expansions etc.

• Like 1

For me the highlight was the table tennis player bitch slapping his partner. And that's what Thais think of each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After watching the incident, bitch slapping is perfect for the situation, made me laugh too . BTW, IF IT WAS THE SAME INCIDENT AS I THINK IT WAS, SURELY IT WAS BADMINTON

Edited by Bernard Flint

"Thailand is rare among developing countries in never having been colonised and is the only country in Southeast Asia with this unique status."

And this is significant..............why?

The reason why no one colonised Thailand is, nobody wanted too!

Technically, it was because nobody needed to. Thailand has always held a very malleable position in the world.

Gerald W. Fry, University of Minnesota

"An important part of education is how we teach about our own country in a balanced in-depth way. When I studied US history in school, I never learned about President Roosevelt's executive order 9066 of 1942, which incarcerated innocent Japanese-Americans living on the West Coast."

"A major principle in cross-cultural teaching and training is that you must understand your own culture before you can begin to understand others."

Since FDR's WW II internment is well-documented and reasonably well-known even if not learned in school, perhaps the good professor should reconsider my second quote from the article (above, emphasis mine). I believe he is (or should be) learned enough to know better than to contradict himself or expose his ignorance in the same article.

Unfortunately, these two links in the above biographic were non-existent:

Thai education expert Fry delivers strong message on reforms

Fry to receive honorary doctorate from university in Thailand

Edited by MaxYakov

Here it is, did his PhD at Stanford, and has a Masters from Princeton,

it's hard to see how you could find anyone more expert to write the piece he wrote, outside TVF.

http://www.cehd.umn.edu/olpd/people/faculty/fry.asp

I eventually obtained my doctorate in international development education from Stanford, with a focus on Southeast Asia. Later, as head of the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies at the University of Oregon, I continued to be particularly interested in education and development issues in Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I enjoy moving, changing, and taking on new challenges. I have a total of approximately 13 years of fieldwork experience in mainland Southeast Asia over a period of five decades and am fluent in Thai and Lao. I’d like to see teaching about Asia improved in public schools, and to that end have collaborated with the Asia Society in New York.

• Like 1

Here it is, did his PhD at Stanford, and has a Masters from Princeton,

it's hard to see how you could find anyone more expert to write the piece he wrote, outside TVF.

http://www.cehd.umn.edu/olpd/people/faculty/fry.asp

I eventually obtained my doctorate in international development education from Stanford, with a focus on Southeast Asia. Later, as head of the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies at the University of Oregon, I continued to be particularly interested in education and development issues in Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I enjoy moving, changing, and taking on new challenges. I have a total of approximately 13 years of fieldwork experience in mainland Southeast Asia over a period of five decades and am fluent in Thai and Lao. I’d like to see teaching about Asia improved in public schools, and to that end have collaborated with the Asia Society in New York.

Yes ... one would think, wouldn't one? My updated Post on the matter

Oh, well. It is advertised as an opinion piece.

Edited by MaxYakov

"Thailand is rare among developing countries in never having been colonised and is the only country in Southeast Asia with this unique status."

The reason why no one colonised Thailand is, nobody wanted too!

Technically, it was because nobody needed to. Thailand has always held a very malleable position in the world.

"Malleable" - a polite term meaning no back bone.

A word to the Professor (author of this 'article'): Try living in Thailand for a few years, then lets see what you think of Thai 'exceptionalism'.

Definition of Thainess: I am Thai, I can do what I want, where I want, when I want. And <deleted> you if you do not like it.

One has to wonder why a person who didn't feel threatened or inferior to Thais find such a need to constantly try to paint a negative light on Thais and Thailand. If somebody really felt Thais were inferior there would be no reason to say anything unless you are the type of person that needs to constantly remind everyone that you are smarter than the retarded kid down the street. Many of the comments here seem no different than an insecure man being jealous of a handsome and well built male and needing to comment that the male is surely gay.

If I didn't think Thailand was exceptional then I would be a fool for building a life that included living here.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Not colonized but maybe conquered? The Thais have never forgiven the Burmese for the sacking of Ayutthaya. And what about when a good chunk of Thailand was under the control of the Khmer - etc., etc.

• Like 1

However, and I don't mean this to sound like Thai bashing but, I do theorize that the vagueness of the Thai language is a contributor to the Thai habit of being, ahem, liberal with the truth, which is one reason why there's no great push to make it more precise.

I have been wondering if the way they teach to be polite and submissive (to their superiors and people in power) has anything to do with it?

Politeness goes ahead of being clear-spoken, perhaps? Not to mention 'Face'...er...let's not go there. I have noticed that even educated Thais feel uncomfortable when talking about problems and things not going right direction.

There are few exceptions and they have normally been educated outside Thailand and hold top positions in private sector, not the government where the 'Thai exceptionality' flourishes...unfortunately these two every now and then collide and the politics dictates the marching order.

• Like 1

A good excuse for not knowing "pasah falang" thumbsup.gif I've heard this excuse on more than one occasion. Perhaps Thailand should forget about AEC until this is addressed....and the sort our all their other domestic problems.

One has to wonder why a person who didn't feel threatened or inferior to Thais find such a need to constantly try to paint a negative light on Thais and Thailand. If somebody really felt Thais were inferior there would be no reason to say anything unless you are the type of person that needs to constantly remind everyone that you are smarter than the retarded kid down the street. Many of the comments here seem no different than an insecure man being jealous of a handsome and well built male and needing to comment that the male is surely gay.

If I didn't think Thailand was exceptional then I would be a fool for building a life that included living here.

That is only true if you consider Thais to be the retarded kid down the street and feel that they are beyond critique due to their true inferiority. If you believe them to be more than that, then your argument seems to lose weight rather quickly.

Many, if not most, of the issues many of us discuss, have averse effects on Thais, not only in the present sense, but going forward. Refusing to take corrective actions, especially on a governmental level, because you refuse to see yourself as anything other than exceptional, can result in dire consequences.

Your second argument, which actually has no logical connection to your "retarded kid down the street" argument, is called jealousy. And while it may be caused by insecurity, I doubt many people wish any of the things that are wrong with Thailand upon themselves.

While Thailand may be exceptional in many ways, it's seriously screwed up in many ways as well.

What I always find somewhat amusing is that, in many ways, it is us who benefit from Thailand's woes. If the people who write comments which you find to be exhibiting an inferiority complex were, at all, self-interested, they would shut their mouths and let Thailand drive the bus off the cliff.

• Like 2

what a BS article on Thai nationalism which teaches Thais from a young age they are superior in every way when, in fact, I can't think of any scientific, artistic, technological or medical world-class contributions from Thailand... and, no, Pattaya Walking Street doesn't count

I believe the Thais invented the condom size "extra extra small". But then I could be wrong........

• Like 1

Don't a lot of people need a feel good factor? Doesn't matter where it is in the world, it could be US, Europe or Africa, all like to blow their own trumpet.

As for feeling superior to one's neighbors, try Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and more within Asia