filipina GF can't leave to Thailand because of martial law

My filipina girlfriend just told me the Philippine Gov won't let any filipinos depart to Thailand unless they have a long term contract due to martial law. We have everything booked and we were going to be leaving in 3 weeks, and now this sh!t happens. Is there anything she can do that will allow her to go? How long will this martial law take? This is a serious issue for us, please help.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday raised alert level 2 in Thailand after the Thai army declared martial law.

At a televised press briefing, DFA Spokesperson Charles Jose said Filipinos in Thailand are now advised to restrict non-essential movements, avoid public places and prepare for possible evacuation amid the ongoing political crisis.

"Alert Level 2 is issued when there are real threats to the life, security, and property of Filipinos arising from internal disturbance in or external threat to the host country," Jose said.

He added that non-essential travel to Thailand is discouraged at the moment.

It says discouraged, not blocked

Philippines are known to make problems with their young women to go abroad already. Than this Thai circus,

however, if problem, change the tickets and same the other posters write, fly to another country near Thailand, TIGER AIR has often cheap flights threw Singapore and come to Thailand in that way.

wink.png

• Like 1

Certainly not heard this, I have frequent visitors from The Phils, and none have mentioned anything to me. The immigration staff at Manila, do though make it difficult for girls to leave , if they haven't got evidence of work contracts etc

Martial law in The Philippines is a nasty business. At least is seems much more controlled here.

The Govt there obviously think that Thailand is bristling with guns.

For all that, they do seem genuinely concerned about people leaving for a place which the media has no doubt ramped up.

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday raised alert level 2 in Thailand after the Thai army declared martial law.

At a televised press briefing, DFA Spokesperson Charles Jose said Filipinos in Thailand are now advised to restrict non-essential movements, avoid public places and prepare for possible evacuation amid the ongoing political crisis.

"Alert Level 2 is issued when there are real threats to the life, security, and property of Filipinos arising from internal disturbance in or external threat to the host country," Jose said.

He added that non-essential travel to Thailand is discouraged at the moment.

It says discouraged, not blocked

...possible evacuation! OMG. They certainly know how to beat up a story.

Philippines are known to make problems with their young women to go abroad already. Than this Thai circus,

however, if problem, change the tickets and same the other posters write, fly to another country near Thailand, TIGER AIR has often cheap flights threw Singapore and come to Thailand in that way.

wink.png

This is very true. Young filipinas are often prevented from exiting the Philippines... I've seen it happen at immigration in Cebu where a young lady was not allowed to board a plane to Singapore because she could not give a convincing reason why she was going ("holiday" was apparently not enough). I've known a number of girls who have had the same experience there, though some manage to bribe their way through or have an 'agent' do this for them (though I think this no longer works). Very murky stuff. All done to protect the girls from exploitation overseas. But this Thai excuse - I just don't get it. Perhaps over-protection gone over-board...

• Like 1

If you have been together a long time, then now is the time to show documentary proof - eg/ Proof of living together, past photos with landmarks / monuments etc - all of which add up to a genuine relationship. Armed with these things, you then have a chance. Even if you fly to a neighboring country, the Flip Imm are difficult and will want to see evidence of accommodation being booked and, more importantly, a return flight tocket for the girl. I have had nightmares with them - cost me loads of dough to resolve, but our documnet pack is like an encyclopedia when we have to pass through the Flips. Also, approach the Imm desk together and present support for her and have the dox ready on standby ! Singapore can also be difficult with letting the girl in, but more likely to do so if you are together !

Good luck !

• Like 1

It's typical of PI. Usually it's an airport scam by officials. Happens all the time to girls going to DXB.

If your girlfriend is really coming for a vacation, suggest you write a letter saying you will be looking after her and show hotel bookings etc.

Otherwise, as suggested above, re-route through another country. BKK used to be the routing for DXB!

Since philionina girls and Thais are world renowned as hoovers you have to accept some resistance from the authorities when you try to bring them into Germany, USA, Australia or the e .u

Many of them or a good percentage will overstay the tourist visa they arrived on if they intend to work in a brothel and send money back to family it has to be addressed by their own Govt as well as the western nation as international criticism mounts up

It gets to the stage where they just can't ignore it anymore....

How is what you posted in any way related to this topic?

Because it's true, a male mate flew on Saturday from NAIA to BKK and 6 girls we're held back (he asked inside at the gate counter) He's a Doctor and was asked if he's going TNT in Thailand (overstay) by the Filipino immigration officer, he was shocked as he's flown to many places and spent 3 years in Canada, all of the stamps are in his attached passport.

It's a good thing they stop these girls and question travellers, how many are here on ED visas working in whatever industry, if they even bother to get an ED visa. I realise the country is poor and there aren't many job prospects other than call centre work, however going off to become a yaya in Hong Kong is a short term solution, the country calls it's overseas workers heroes, I suggest the government should be ashamed that upwards of 10% of the population work abroad.

As for the OP did you buy the ticket or did she she buy the ticket locally ? Call the airline as some have suggested, the RP doesn't do anything first.

True doesn't make it relevant. He's not talking about Thailand, but "some resistance from the authorities when you try to bring them into Germany, USA, Australia or the e .u" And he didn't give any relevant information about a Filipina entering Thailand.

Your post actually gives information that is helpful as it is relevant consideration for the OP, and I note you didn't need to mention Thais, "hoovers", or brothels to get that information across.

Good suggestion to fly to Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur. Once there get a Thai visitor visa - 2 if she wants to stay 120 days or more - train to Thailand. I think it is relatively inexpensive. Where there is a will, there's a way. Philipine government cannot intervene if she says she is vacationing in Malaysia.

Godd luck.

Since philionina girls and Thais are world renowned as hoovers you have to accept some resistance from the authorities when you try to bring them into Germany, USA, Australia or the e .u

Many of them or a good percentage will overstay the tourist visa they arrived on if they intend to work in a brothel and send money back to family it has to be addressed by their own Govt as well as the western nation as international criticism mounts up

It gets to the stage where they just can't ignore it anymore....

How is what you posted in any way related to this topic?

Because it's true, a male mate flew on Saturday from NAIA to BKK and 6 girls we're held back (he asked inside at the gate counter) He's a Doctor and was asked if he's going TNT in Thailand (overstay) by the Filipino immigration officer, he was shocked as he's flown to many places and spent 3 years in Canada, all of the stamps are in his attached passport.

It's a good thing they stop these girls and question travellers, how many are here on ED visas working in whatever industry, if they even bother to get an ED visa. I realise the country is poor and there aren't many job prospects other than call centre work, however going off to become a yaya in Hong Kong is a short term solution, the country calls it's overseas workers heroes, I suggest the government should be ashamed that upwards of 10% of the population work abroad.

As for the OP did you buy the ticket or did she she buy the ticket locally ? Call the airline as some have suggested, the RP doesn't do anything first.

For whatever reasons, the Philippine government is particularly cautious about allowing Filipinos out of country, especially so with Filipinas, unless they 1) have a work contract--OFW with tax obligations to the PI govt; 2) have a sponsor, verified by Philippine Embassy, who is a relative, resides in the destination country, and accepts all financial responsibility; or 3) if the traveler has sufficient and verifiable personal finances to cover the duration of the trip. It also helps if the return ticket is within 30 days. So, give your gf US$10,000 and she'll be on the next flight; or not.

Sigh... this place.

We've got one guy bringing up completely irrelevant flying to a Western country for prostitution issues.

Another that doesn't get why that is completely irrelevant. (The girl isn't flying to a Western country, THAT is why it is irrelevant.)

A third that says another girl had no problem flying from Phils to Hong Kong. (So what?)

Another one thinking you can be deported from your own country of citizenship... LOL

Sigh. No wonder Thailand is tightening up the immigration rules.

Sick in bed browsing TV with no expectations of anything besides more misery but you just made my day. Thanks for the laugh! laugh.png

• Like 2