Registering my motorcycle. Adventure in Thai Red tape. Chiang Mai

Registering my motorcycle. Adventure in Thai Red tape.

It was the easiest thing in the world to buy a used motorcycle here in Thailand. I now had freedom to race all over town and the country weaving in and out of traffic and cruising by exotic villages. The registration aftermath was a big adventure/ordeal. First I needed to get a certificate of residency from the immigration office which if free - Go west on road 1141 just before CM airport. I’ve heard the US embassy does it for 500 baht. I had to bring them a lease contract from my apartment. That took a week after much explaining and hand gesturing with my landlord. Then I had to wait until Songkran was over.
I submitted my papers including 2 photos and copies of my passport, you can do this at the immigration office. I picked up my cert of residency a week later. I then had to get a 100 baht physical from CM Ram hospital at the nw corner outside the moat. This did not take long, blood pressure, weight & height, and a doctor gave me a color blind test and I got a passing paper. I took all of this to the transportation office on road 106 just north of Meng Rai bridge road, Thai transportation bldgs all seem to have purple trim and purple shirted officials btw. They told me to go to a different DMV on Hang Dong road. I went there and they told me to go back to the 106 office. The 106 office said to go further south on Hang Dong road (108) and they wrote the address down in Thai for me to show the 7-11 people on the way. 50 Kelometers later I arrived at the correct DMV. Why I had to drive all the way to this location baffles me. What a waste of gas and time! I believe the original owner was from this location which is not a very good reason. I was the only farang in the place and became a curiosity to everyone and I was treated very well. I was given vip treatment and it took about 2 hours and 200 baht to get my name printed in my green book. I hope this helps anyone else registering their motorcycle.

" I then had to get a 100 baht physical from CM Ram hospital at the nw corner outside the moat. This did not take long, blood pressure, weight & height, and a doctor gave me a color blind test and I got a passing paper."

That's stuff you do for a driver licence, not to register a vehicle.

• Like 1

Wow, bought a used motorbike about eight years ago. Only document needed for registration purposes: a passport.

Either things have really changed in eight years, or I'm just lucky to have an easy-going transportation office.

Edited by Fookhaht

Yes Dana that is the drill except the med certificate(that is only for a first time drivers lic. You are lucky it is free for the Residency certificate In Pattaya it is 200 baht Or 300 baht express(tea money joke I don't use express.) But regardless who you are no 200 baht no tiky no laundry. Don't worry you like most of us will never get used to the backward ways here- You just know the next time what to do & the strangeness becomes familiar to you.