Martial law: Filipinos in Thailand told to prepare for evacuation

webfact

MARTIAL LAW
Filipinos in Thailand told to prepare for evacuation

Philippine Daily Inquirer
Asia News Network

MANILA: -- The Philippines' Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has advised Filipinos in Thailand to prepare for evacuation "if necessary" and stay away from public places following the declaration of martial law in the Southeast Asian country.

The DFA issued Alert Level 2 (restriction phase) to the estimated 15,000 Filipinos in Thailand, advising them to avoid public areas.

The foreign office is also sending to Bangkok an emergency response team led by a senior official at the "soonest possible time" to check on the situation and ensure the protection of Filipinos there, said DFA spokesman Charles Jose.

Alert Level 2

"Alert Level 2 is issued when there are real threats to the life, security and property of Filipinos arising from internal disturbance in or external threat to the host country," Assistant Secretary Jose said in a press briefing Tuesday.

"Under Alert Level 2, Filipinos in Thailand are instructed to restrict nonessential movements, avoid public places and prepare for evacuation if necessary," he said.

Under the alert level, the Philippines is suspending the deployment of new hires to Thailand. Only overseas Filipino workers with existing contracts may fly back there while Alert Level 2 is in effect.

"The Philippine Embassy in Bangkok advises Filipinos residing in or traveling to Thailand to avoid the rally sites and large gatherings and to refrain from taking part in the protest or other political activities. Everyone is advised to continue exercising extreme caution and vigilance and to closely monitor developments," Jose said.

He said the Philippines "hopes for an early return to normalcy consistent with the will and interest of the Thai people."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-21

• Like 1

Bit over the top to be honest.

I've got my plan in place. So does the company I work for. I doubt we'll have to implement them. I sure hope we don't.

Better to have a plan and not need it than to not have one when I do need it.

• Like 1

Not to the filipinos......they have had martial law in the filipines several times....lots of blood and gunfire....

It's just that here in Thailand...martial law is quite lay back.....not really the full on "martial law" situation.

Actually the Philippine islands were under Martial Law the entire time that Marcos was the President. I think it was 21 years of martial law during Marcos presidency.

mrtoad, on 21 May 2014 - 15:37, said:

Not really, could be due to the strict in and out rules by Imm.

Both have to be considered don't you think.

Win

That and acting like they really care.

As if Filipinos with paying jobs here are going to return when they know they're going to find it difficult or impossible to get back again. I doubt the Filipinos living in Bangkok are overly concerned about what's going on. They're normally a pretty relaxed group of people.

Not to the filipinos......they have had martial law in the filipines several times....lots of blood and gunfire....

It's just that here in Thailand...martial law is quite lay back.....not really the full on "martial law" situation.

Actually the Philippine islands were under Martial Law the entire time that Marcos was the President. I think it was 21 years of martial law during Marcos presidency.

No, they had martial law for just over 8 years, from September 1972 until January 1981.

Anything from the British Embassy?

I don't want to be rescued! And I evacuated this morning.

cheesy.gif I just imagine some British Marines search Soi Nana for horny British and evacuate them forceful to London.....

• Like 1

As if Filipinos with paying jobs here are going to return when they know they're going to find it difficult or impossible to get back again. I doubt the Filipinos living in Bangkok are overly concerned about what's going on. They're normally a pretty relaxed group of people.

" to the estimated 15,000 Filipinos in Thailand"

estimated by whom? Sounds like an underestimate to me.. Do they mean legally in Thailand?

" to the estimated 15,000 Filipinos in Thailand"

estimated by whom? Sounds like an underestimate to me.. Do they mean legally in Thailand?

How do you come to the conclusion their estimate is wrong? Their immigration status is irrelevant. Passports are stamped upon entry and exit, so immigration computers will have the numbers.

Not really. Just because bullets are not flying at the moment doesn't mean it couldn't all go udders up at any time.

In every situation, there are those who prepare for the worst and often make it out OK. Then there are those who have to be rescued from their roof top or from under the rubble. Smart people plan for the worst but hope for the best. Others think it will never happen to them, even if the face of danger or with advance warning. It's called the Normalcy Bias.

Everyone should have a plan. The Philippine government is getting ready for the worst, while hoping for the best. That is what a government should do.

Not really. Just because bullets are not flying at the moment doesn't mean it couldn't all go udders up at any time.

In every situation, there are those who prepare for the worst and often make it out OK. Then there are those who have to be rescued from their roof top or from under the rubble. Smart people plan for the worst but hope for the best. Others think it will never happen to them, even if the face of danger or with advance warning. It's called the Normalcy Bias.

Everyone should have a plan. The Philippine government is getting ready for the worst, while hoping for the best. That is what a government should do.

I agree, it's not a "bit over the top", it's WAY over the top.

It doesn't matter how bad it gets, very few Filipinos will be getting on a plane to escape, because even a bad day is better than a good day over there.

I won't be shipping my Filipino wife back to the Philippines any time soon even if they're offering first class tickets.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

+1. And I would add that taking your foreign passport and scampering over to the US Embassy that everyone pokes fun at, to get a ride on one of those much ridiculed Marine helicopters....isn't a plan.

But it's nice to know the Marines will be there if we need 'em. And for that, I thank them- every one of them.

• Like 1