Water Refill Stations - What's the source?

Durianwriter

I've been happiy refilling my water bottles frmo the water refill stations whenever I visit Thailand for years now.

But recently I began wondering - who refills those things? Where does the water come from? Is it government run, or a private company? Who decides where to set them up, are they purchased by local businesses? What's the deal with the water refill station?

I assume it's safe to drink.

Seriously? Is this the real answer or an assumption? I live in Chiang Mai and have been paying 1 baht for a liter at the machine on my soi for years, and you're saying that I might as well be using my tap? I'm having a hard time accepting this.

I would be very careful about getting my drinking water from these dispensers. They are privately operated and the cleanliness of the water depends on the integrity of the owner. Think about it....

Better leave it to the frugals!

Yep in Bangkok it is just the usual chlorinated municipal water.

ive drank it from my kitchen tap once or twice while waking up hungover etc in bkk and never had any ill effects at all never mind stomach problems or diahorrea or diseases ......

usually i drink the bottled stuff but for hot drinks like coffee tap water is fine although it would be boiled first

sometimes i wonder if half of the bad press about tap water is to keep the bottled water industry going ...........

But you say it is filtered? Do you happen to know what the filtration system is?

Whatever it is, it will be as clean and effective as a 2 month old handkerchief folded in half.

• Like 2

I seem to remember reading a newspaper report that the quality of water from these dispensers had been checked by a local authority.

The result was two thirds were dispensing water with high levels of bacteria.

They need to be serviced regularly .

Must admit I buy the bottled water for drinking and cooking and stay away from these machines.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Old Stud, on 22 May 2014 - 17:45, said:

Seriously? Is this the real answer or an assumption? I live in Chiang Mai and have been paying 1 baht for a liter at the machine on my soi for years, and you're saying that I might as well be using my tap? I'm having a hard time accepting this.

If you're using a filter, yes.

I suppose I could call the number on the side Folded handkerchief? I don't think so. I doubt their integrity would be that low, especially when the locals are also filling up there. They would know, or they would be using their taps instead.

Good news after years of drinking that water - continual good health check ups and no diahorrea or nasty diseases.

• Like 1

How did you find out it was reverse osmosis?

It says it on the side of the machines when they're new, reverse osmosis and uv filtered water

The writing fades off as the machine gets older from Thai weather, rain, sun, humidity so you probably won't it on the older machines

We always drink tapwater but have our own filter with UV-light. I don't know how to check if the lightbulb might be broken though.

The machine is a Pure from 9000 baht. It is connected to our fridge with icemachine and waterdispenser and that works great!

The filters with UV-light cost a little more but they can kill bacterials and so. The other ones only filter the water.

I bought one from Pure because they keep the lightbulb in stock for in case i need one. They have their own shop for that. Homepro and homeworks also sell Pure but if you need a new lightbulb you have to order it, they keep them in stock.

So is tap water only okay to drink in Bangkok, or other areas too?

Not OK to drink. It's potable when it leaves the processing plant, but may well become contaminated before it reaches your tap.

• Like 1

I bought a filter for the home, and after seeing how dark and disgusting the various stages of the filter go after just one day or so, I have to say I re-thought buying anything but bottled water. But I regularly drink from the machines anyway and Ive never been sick.

After reading this thread I think I might buy a tap filter, assuming they're not too expensive. Anyone know how much they cost?

I've had a 3 stage filter that I assembled from components purchased at Klong Tom market, Yaowarat, BKK. About 1500 and quality is excellent. The 4 stage systems also cost about 1500 pre-made. I suggest the 4 stage ones already assembled since you should not have to adjust/check for leaks. There is a 5 stage also that has the additional UV chamber. I had a UV chamber but disconnected it as I found it unnecessary. reverse osmosis removes the trace minerals and coffee / tea does not taste good. a good investment. you always have drinking water and dont have to carry it back home.