Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Please stand by. Thailand has temporarily lost its sanity....

Temporarily? Me tinks not.

Agreed.
It's about the19th or 20th coup since Thailand became a monarchy in 1932. They have a strong tendency to act not exactly sane.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Those who fail to learn from their mistakes...are doomed to repeat them...

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm traveling from Koh Tao to Chiang Mai tomorrow, connecting flight from Don Muang gets into CM at 10:20, how do I get home or should I rebook for the next morning and stay near Don Muang overnight?

A coup can be inconvenient, no?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Book a tank

All TV channels now blocked. internet will be blocked from 8pm. This is serious stuff. Trouble brewing with Red Shirts.

That's odd- BBC etc all still working in sunny Pattaya.

Some friends are off to the cinema to see the new X Men- hope they won't have to live on popcorn all night as film finished after ten.

Our vast local market opens at 2am - what are all the traders going to do? Throw all the food away?

Many bars stay open (just turns the lights off) on both HMTK and Buddha's birthday in pattaya, so I am not surprised they would ignore curfew.

It is a souless city with no respect.

Enjoy the movie, it's good.

I would not know about the bars- have not been in one for years.

My friends got to central festival , parked and then were told it was closing- took an hour to get out again!

So no film tonight.

Everything is closing- even 7/ 11

But Sophon cable still OK

Remember "Mr Sophon" is a major red shirt player wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't take the opportunity to even a score or two, unless his fellow red shirt, the Pattaya Chief of Police is there to help.

So I'm traveling from Koh Tao to Chiang Mai tomorrow, connecting flight from Don Muang gets into CM at 10:20, how do I get home or should I rebook for the next morning and stay near Don Muang overnight?

Travelers to and from airport are exempted if they have proof of flight with them. Just show your ticket/boardng pass if stopped.

Arrrgh! I've just spent the past three months convincing my family and friends that Thailand is a safe, stable place to live. We're moving to Pattaya from the US at the end of the year. The timing on this is killing me. We're still moving, but there's going to be hell to pay from the in-laws for the next six months.

Time to start the damage control. Spin, spin, spin...

(And yes, I know it's not all about me - I can still be annoyed, right?)

Good luck with that, probably you can see what TAT says :)

• Like 1

Night time curfew means the destruction of the tourism industry and all the impoverished ladies working in Pattaya and Phuket will have to go back to the rice farms and earn 200 bhat a day. This is punishing the poor red shirts who no longer have their daughters and ladyboy sons send money back home to feed their families

It may also be hard on Yellow Shirt families... the family scions may be able to knock down a police officer when driving their Porsches about town, but now they have to be careful they don't hit a soldier (or a tank) because the army may not be so generous in its reaction. Poor lads...

probably won't apply to some tourists areas, can't imagine all of them sitting in their hotel drinking beer and watching TV. smile.png They can do that back in their falang country.

Watching TV? Not in TH now! error.gif

Travelers to and from airport are exempted if they have proof of flight with them. Just show your ticket/boardng pass if stopped.

thing is: most people have etickets - so no actual hard copy ticket. also boarding passes are issued at the airport after check in. surely you understand that

• Like 1

probably won't apply to some tourists areas, can't imagine all of them sitting in their hotel drinking beer and watching TV. :) They can do that back in their falang country.

I get that picture clearly...:)

Sent from my SM-P605 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I planed to go up-country early morning 3 a.m. does that mean I can't go?

anyone knows?

think of it this way. 3am is before 5am

Oldtimer, just make as it fits you and write us later from the outcome. In some days? blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anybody here knows what bars or clubs will be open ? Wong's ?

Maybe wights?

That wasn't nice,two wongs don't make a wight

But three lefts do...

Well, wonder what TAT will do now to promote tourism? blink.png

What about Hub of newborn babies 2015, with all those people that has to stay inside from 10 pm to 5 am ;)

• Like 1

I guess I picked a great time to move to Thailand eh? 555 just kidding... I've been coming here for years (been lurking on TV message board for years too, but decided to sign up to add my two cents a few days ago) and live in Samui. I just got home after doing some shopping around the island and I have yet to see a single soldier anywhere on this island!

As someone who used to be a journalist, from everything I've read and experienced thus far, I must say that I think this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the country. The army likely had knowledge of some nasty business coming down the pipe and acted swiftly to stop it. What it was, we may never know. But judging by the report that about Thaksin rejecting Prayuth's proposal to have the caretaker Gov't step down, I'd say the General likely had no choice.

Thaksin and his side represent the Global Elite and buy their support from the Thais in the North... not hard to figure that one out. If that's not readily apparent then stick your head back in the sand. There is a power struggle going on around the world right now and if you think there's democracy in the West, then I'd like some of what you're smoking!

My biggest fear is that TPTB won't give up without a fight and I wouldn't rule out their use of Agent Provocateur's to stir the pot! Why wouldn't they, what have they got to lose? Especially when that D-Bag TS is trying to run the show from Dubai!

I love, LOVE!!! that the Thais have told TPTB to blow it out their sphincter, that's one of the reason's I've moved here. I don't mind having to put up with a little inconvenience in order to fix the problems this country is facing. C'est la vie.

Now having said that, I really don't think this curfew thing is going to last too long... especially in places like Samui or Phuket. I think they just imposed a blanket curfew all across the country to be fair. We'll see what happens after 2200 tonight eh?

So to sign off on my first post to TV, I'll say chok dee na kahp, have a great night everyone!

Welcome...enjoyed your post...don't be a stranger...post often...and expect plenty of flack if you tell the truth...

I'd like some of what you're smoking too! Or for that matter what anybody else is!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please be very careful what you post & the connotations behind them during this sensitive time. I am not issuing warnings yet but if I see the same posters continually posting things dangerous to thaivisa, you will be suspended.

thanks

Night time curfew means the destruction of the tourism industry and all the impoverished ladies working in Pattaya and Phuket will have to go back to the rice farms and earn 200 bhat a day. This is punishing the poor red shirts who no longer have their daughters and ladyboy sons send money back home to feed their families

They should be getting 300 baht a day.

Would some of you idiots quit crying because you can't sit on a bar stool until 3am for at least a few days, if not longer? Would you prefer to have to dodge grenades and gunfire as you walk the streets? There's a lot of really angry and confused people out there right now, so just pray the army manages to keep a lid on things.

One thing's for sure. There's going to be more than one body bag used during the forseeable future. Not exactly a laughing matter.

Only in thailand announce a curfew 4 hours before it starts. Mickey mouse country

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They should have given a few days notice at least?

Seems like they got it out and noticed in less than four hours. Take it easy, the internet is still up, before it goes down too, look up Thai coups and curfews--at a baht a hit, you could have a few beers

Good night tourism.

I mean how does that even work now?

Many tourists enjoy the night life of Thailand. This is a nail in the coffin for tourism if they are going to be confined to thier hotel rooms after saving all year for a holiday.

Latest Tweet I looked at Army have gone to Thidas house and found a full set of orders for planned attacks this weekend!!

Sensationalism I think. Why would she be THAT dumb. I do not even think Thidas the wicked witch is THAT stupid. Be careful of these things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thida_Thavornseth

I read the Wiki thing Thank you for that but I still do not think she would hold weapons at HER house. If she did BIG BIG OOPSIES

Good night tourism.

I mean how does that even work now?

Many tourists enjoy the night life of Thailand. This is a nail in the coffin for tourism if they are going to be confined to thier hotel rooms after saving all year for a holiday.

Please stand by. Thailand has temporarily lost its sanity....

Pray tell every one what was their option. This will return the country back to normal a lot faster and prevent a civil war. Use your brains Dominique it was the only thing to do.

• Like 1