Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The uniformed guy on TV explained that people who have reasonable business like scheduled flight, work, delivery of goods with limited shelf-life, need med assistance, etc. can go about their business no problem

Edited by MaksimMislavsky
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I guess I picked a great time to move to Thailand eh? 555 just kidding... I've been coming here for years (been lurking on TV message board for years too, but decided to sign up to add my two cents a few days ago) and live in Samui. I just got home after doing some shopping around the island and I have yet to see a single soldier anywhere on this island!

As someone who used to be a journalist, from everything I've read and experienced thus far, I must say that I think this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the country. The army likely had knowledge of some nasty business coming down the pipe and acted swiftly to stop it. What it was, we may never know. But judging by the report that about Thaksin rejecting Prayuth's proposal to have the caretaker Gov't step down, I'd say the General likely had no choice.

Thaksin and his side represent the Global Elite and buy their support from the Thais in the North... not hard to figure that one out. If that's not readily apparent then stick your head back in the sand. There is a power struggle going on around the world right now and if you think there's democracy in the West, then I'd like some of what you're smoking!

My biggest fear is that TPTB won't give up without a fight and I wouldn't rule out their use of Agent Provocateur's to stir the pot! Why wouldn't they, what have they got to lose? Especially when that D-Bag TS is trying to run the show from Dubai!

I love, LOVE!!! that the Thais have told TPTB to blow it out their sphincter, that's one of the reason's I've moved here. I don't mind having to put up with a little inconvenience in order to fix the problems this country is facing. C'est la vie.

Now having said that, I really don't think this curfew thing is going to last too long... especially in places like Samui or Phuket. I think they just imposed a blanket curfew all across the country to be fair. We'll see what happens after 2200 tonight eh?

So to sign off on my first post to TV, I'll say chok dee na kahp, have a great night everyone!

Welcome...enjoyed your post...don't be a stranger...post often...and expect plenty of flack if you tell the truth...<smiles>

• Like 1

And the dear people of Thailand, who have to travel long distances to their homes through extreme traffic were warned in advance???

No???!

Bad luck then,.... those unlucky ones just didn't know then...,whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

They had 5 or 6 hours warning, the curfew doesn't start until 10pm.

Latest Tweet I looked at Army have gone to Thidas house and found a full set of orders for planned attacks this weekend!!

Sensationalism I think. Why would she be THAT dumb. I do not even think Thidas the wicked witch is THAT stupid. Be careful of these things.

I held a combat rifle for 22 years. During that time I never liked liked civilians much.

Yeah, we all hated those "long haired, pot-smoking, tree-hugging hippy civvies" as well (until we retired, let our hair grow and realized trees weren't that bad after all) ! What really sucked was retiring to take a job as a civvy in Afghanistan and less than a week after turning in my uniform having some wet-behind-the-ears punk with less than a year in give me grief because I was a civvy !

All going well, a month from now most (non-Thai) people won't even remember there was a coup, especially if the curfew is lifted soon (or not applied to the "tourist" areas). It'll be business as per normal within a very short time and a whole lot of panic over nothing (fingers crossed), just like last time.

My point was for people that have no military experience. There is a fine line between putting your arms around an armed squaddie for a photo opportunity and having your features rearranged by a rifle butting. Frightened and inexperienced young conscripts with a loaded weapon are the ones most likely to lose their nerve and let a few rounds go off.

I think in this case it comes down to the resolve of the red shirts and their threat to commit to an armed conflict. We will soon find out. My TGF has already told me there has been some "disturbances"in BKK.

Edited by watso63

And what about late international flights?

I was just thinking this.

How does this work?

Typical that they have not thought things through. Typical.

Wait in the airport ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Soi Cowboy is drowning in tears

Maybe they will rethink...charging for unordered drinks for the ladies...and padding the bill...rip-off central...

• Like 1

i was just at patpong and the girls were worried about business. i guess their worries just got confirmed.

I agree it it going to be interesting to see how the bars and clubs treat this.

One thing though. It says you cannot leave your house between 10 and 5.

What happens if you already left it at 8 and are at the bar. and it is 11 are you still ok.

Maybe it just means that you are going to have to stay there all night LOL.

As to the airport arrivals. I think that a way of resolving that is to have buses setup to take people to hotels. Tourist arrives shows hotel booking confirmation gets on buss tht takes them to hotel.

Works for me. Actually best thing that could happen to tourist.

Taking a bus could never be the best thing, tourist or not

• Like 2

Man some of the posts from folks in this thread specifically are absolutely hilarious. Typical westerner reaction, they always lose their minds. They think the world is coming to an end, never go home, planes stop flying, food get consumed, they might starve, be stuck, killed, robbed, executed.MWAHAHA. Keep the craziness going, I am LMFAO.....This is good stuff.

YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.......

cheesy.gif it bring this old comedy to mind .... ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag

Let's remember some of the westerners here, left their minds at the airport when they arrived! facepalm.giftongue.pngwhistling.gif

I held a combat rifle for 22 years. During that time I never liked liked civilians much.

Yeah, we all hated those "long haired, pot-smoking, tree-hugging hippy civvies" as well (until we retired, let our hair grow and realized trees weren't that bad after all) ! What really sucked was retiring to take a job as a civvy in Afghanistan and less than a week after turning in my uniform having some wet-behind-the-ears punk with less than a year in give me grief because I was a civvy !

All going well, a month from now most (non-Thai) people won't even remember there was a coup, especially if the curfew is lifted soon (or not applied to the "tourist" areas). It'll be business as per normal within a very short time and a whole lot of panic over nothing (fingers crossed), just like last time.

My point was for people that have no military experience. There is a fine line between putting your arms around an armed squaddie for a photo opportunity and having your features rearranged by a rifle butting. Frightened and inexperienced young conscripts with a loaded weapon are the ones most likely to lose their nerve and let a few rounds go off.

Stupid is as stupid does. They well may be a bunch of Pvt Gumps, so don't be stupid.

• Like 1

Night time curfew means the destruction of the tourism industry and all the impoverished ladies working in Pattaya and Phuket will have to go back to the rice farms and earn 200 bhat a day. This is punishing the poor red shirts who no longer have their daughters and ladyboy sons send money back home to feed their families

All TV channels now blocked. internet will be blocked from 8pm. This is serious stuff. Trouble brewing with Red Shirts.

That's odd- BBC etc all still working in sunny Pattaya.

Some friends are off to the cinema to see the new X Men- hope they won't have to live on popcorn all night as film finished after ten.

Our vast local market opens at 2am - what are all the traders going to do? Throw all the food away?

Many bars stay open (just turns the lights off) on both HMTK and Buddha's birthday in pattaya, so I am not surprised they would ignore curfew.

It is a souless city with no respect.

Enjoy the movie, it's good.

I would not know about the bars- have not been in one for years.

My friends got to central festival , parked and then were told it was closing- took an hour to get out again!

So no film tonight.

Everything is closing- even 7/ 11

But Sophon cable still OK

I planed to go up-country early morning 3 a.m. does that mean I can't go?

anyone knows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curfew

A curfew is an order specifying a time during which certain regulations apply. Examples:

An order issued by the public authorities or military insurgents requiring everyone or certain people to be indoors at certain times, often at night.

All TV channels now blocked. internet will be blocked from 8pm. This is serious stuff. Trouble brewing with Red Shirts.

"internet will be blocked from 8pm."

Good accurate information from you then.

• Like 1

So I'm traveling from Koh Tao to Chiang Mai tomorrow, connecting flight from Don Muang gets into CM at 10:20, how do I get home or should I rebook for the next morning and stay near Don Muang overnight?

A coup can be inconvenient, no?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Night time curfew means the destruction of the tourism industry and all the impoverished ladies working in Pattaya and Phuket will have to go back to the rice farms and earn 200 bhat a day. This is punishing the poor red shirts who no longer have their daughters and ladyboy sons send money back home to feed their families

Interesting take on it.. not sure if you are serious, but what you're saying could atleast be part of the reason,, scary...

Would some of you idiots quit crying because you can't sit on a bar stool until 3am for at least a few days, if not longer? Would you prefer to have to dodge grenades and gunfire as you walk the streets? There's a lot of really angry and confused people out there right now, so just pray the army manages to keep a lid on things.

Lid-keeping is what leads to big explosions...