Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does killing my pay to view movies and sports help this out. Plus I have an up coming flight arr DM 11:30PM and get to other airport for 5AM check in - oh the joy. totally screwed up. I guess nok will have to change my flight to afternoon and hang out in the other airport from 10PM to 5 AM so I am not a pumpkin.

From NOK Air Facebook page:

Nok Air would like to advise passengers that due to the curfew in effect between 22.00 - 05.00 passengers with late and early flights are required to have I.D. and travelling documents ready for inspection.

All Nok Air flights will operate as normal but we advise passengers to have all documents ready and spare extra time to avoid any inconvenience.

Good info- thanks for sharing

Quote from SMH

"As commanders appeared on television about 5pm Bangkok time (8pm AEST) to declare they had taken over, the leaders of both rival political parties in Thailand were taken away in a vans amid dramatic scenes at the Army Club in central Bangkok, where talks were being held to try to find a resolution to six months of sometimes violent unrest.

A military source said the leaders were told "we will keep you together until you understand and love each other"

So whilst this is a pretty shocking event to be made aware of 9 days before you travel, 2 things I hope to come of it.

It'll be over before then

It'll have driven a lot of people out leaving more peace and enjoyment for us while we are there.

Heh a little selfish, but true!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All those who were celebrating Martial Law on another thread, and the down fall of the Shinawatras - welcome to the real world. And next time, be a little more careful what it is you wish for!

Meaning?

Meaning martial law didn't turn out so good.

And what about late international flights?

I was just thinking this.

How does this work?

I saw a statement by Thai Airways, saying that if you can produce a ticket / flight plan, they'll let you drive to the airport, despite curfew.

Havn't I read across here, everything is safe, now it is officially a coup'etat and curfew all over the country would like to see what tourist travels to a country with his children were life is regulated by armed men?

Many do every day.

USA - armed police.!

Singapore

UAE

India

too many to mention..

The curfew and martial law will stop many coming to Thailand because travel insurance is voided.

Travel insurance is still valid unless your malady is a direct result of the Coup. If it is then the insurance company can claim Force Majeure and yer hooped, otherwise no issues.

Great for tourism, Thailands just loves to shoot itself in the foot

Can just see the tourists already here ... a nice dinner, a few pints head to a bar or club .. closes at 10pm 555

Can also see lots of tourists canceling and or changinjg destinations

Thailand the HUB of self inflicted pain

What happens us? We arrive in bkk dang mung at 2345

You must call immigration and get a residence certificate that shows on paper that don muang is your place of residence legally, then you must stay in don muang until 5am?

• Like 1

I flew out of Thailand 2 days ago. Seems my timing was perfect.

Feel sorry for all the people that are suffering financially because of this. The elite and their puppet Suthep can sit back knowing they got their way but they know in their hearts their time is short. Once you have awakened peoples desire for democracy and given them a taste there is no going back.

When an event i cant mention happens in the very near future their time will be up, even if they have secured a friendly government in power for when it happens. This of course is what this was all about..... corruption?? haha give me a break

Apparently Thailand has a close relationship to USA in that it is termed a non-NATO ally. USA is now legally obliged to impose certain sanctions on Thailand. So it is going to affect them economically

USA said 24 hours ago there would be no coup.

They should bring back Edward Snowden.

At least he seemed to have his finger on the pulse.

The US said "The Thai military has promised there will be no coup and we expect General Prayuth will (sic) hold to that commitment."

They never made a prediction.

biggrin.png

It's quite possible that General Prayuth is not too interested in anything the US says.

• Like 1

yea right, what about people travelling around the city, country, arriving at/departing from the airport - what are they going to do, arrest everyone? shoot them? have they thought this through? oh, hang on, of course they havent ... this is thailand.

they have thought it through and also have the required experience... which you obviously lack thumbsup.gif

Agree with you Naam.

For those inexperienced of you who will be out and about as usual; IF you are stopped by army or police during curfew please keep your attitude in check or you very well may find yourself being detained/arrested as per the Law.

Agree with you guys. no doubt if it happens there will be no end of 'poor me' thread emerge on. TVF in a few weeks/months time when they are released from detention or hospital.

People need to switch their brain on, I realise for some this may be the first start up for considerable time.

Thai army orders all radio and TV to suspend normal programmes

BANGKOK, May 22, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's military on Thursday ordered all television and radio stations to suspend their usual programmes and show only the army's broadcasts in the wake of a coup.

The move was to ensure the release of "accurate news to the people," an army spokesman said in a televised announcement.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-22

What?! The 'soaps' are off!!!!??? This now really serious!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Great for tourism, Thailands just loves to shoot itself in the foot

Can just see the tourists already here ... a nice dinner, a few pints head to a bar or club .. closes at 10pm 555

Can also see lots of tourists canceling and or changinjg destinations

Thailand the HUB of self inflicted pain

Most thais are probably not thinking about tourism right now. They have bigger problems at hand.

BTS & Skytrain will be stopped at 9pm

USA to release statement in short time according to News Asia

USA? Putin is laughing again.

What is it you are trying to say? Putin laughing at Thailand? Or you think it is funny that another country would make a statement concerning international affairs.. Or just brainless usa bashing again?

• Like 2

decent people sleep at night

So,the many thousands of rubberfarmers,who must work at night,are not decent people? Don`t think they can afford to loose their income though,so they will probably go out,at least I know people in my village will.

In Central Bangkok they may impose that Curfew.

I am in Changwat Chonburi 100 km away from the capital and here is Not a Single Soldier who is able to impose Anything.

In most parts of the kingdom people will just ignore the curfew.

Will go out at 9.58 and see if any unusual things happeing around the shops and restaurants

All TV channels now blocked. internet will be blocked from 8pm. This is serious stuff. Trouble brewing with Red Shirts.

That's odd- BBC etc all still working in sunny Pattaya.thumbsup.gif

Some friends are off to the cinema to see the new X Men- hope they won't have to live on popcorn all night as film finished after ten.

Our vast local market opens at 2am - what are all the traders going to do? Throw all the food away?

they must think we are more restrained in Pattaya giggle.gif

All TV channels now blocked. internet will be blocked from 8pm. This is serious stuff. Trouble brewing with Red Shirts.

That's odd- BBC etc all still working in sunny Pattaya.

Some friends are off to the cinema to see the new X Men- hope they won't have to live on popcorn all night as film finished after ten.

Our vast local market opens at 2am - what are all the traders going to do? Throw all the food away?

Many bars stay open (just turns the lights off) on both HMTK and Buddha's birthday in pattaya, so I am not surprised they would ignore curfew.

It is a souless city with no respect.

Enjoy the movie, it's good.

yes, what is going on here, this is a gross violation.

I mean what does it achieve

I am supposed to be flying in to Bangkok arrive 1am,

I mean what the f..k.

It is an absurdity and will create antagonism

people coming home from work going out to work

everything. its wacko what is in his head?