US denounces Thai coup, warns on relations

webfact

Coup in Egypt is ok... Coup in Ukraine is ok, but USA says coup in Thailand is not ok...

As an American find this a bit funny..

As some one living here in Thailand ... I can say that while I would never have wanted to see a coup... On some level it is a bit of a relief

Dad has stepped in and told the kids to stop their petty bickering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Egypt - coup ousted an elected government which we didn't like. So it's o k.

Ukraine - coup ousted an elected government which we didn't like. So it's o k.

Thailand - coup ousted an elected government which we liked. So it's bad,

The reasons why some governments are liked and others aren't may be different. But the results the same. We only want our friend's in power. Fine if they are elected. If not then a coup is o k but it's not actually a coup because it's removing someone we don't like so they must be bad.

Got it?

This particular action is what Thailand desperately needed. Stop the violence, the bullying through legal intimidation, the ridiculous law suits and open lies and corruption. Good look to the military on sorting this mess all out - for the benefit of all Thai people not just a few or one fugitive.

Truly wish the Military just did the security to:

- Bring peace

- Bring both parties together for quick negotiations

- Military negotiates mutually agreed to reasonable reforms

- Continue the elections that were scheduled in a few months.

Why could they not avoid a Coup and make the above happen? It could have happened with military security.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just standard boiler plate policy comment.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That's a cop out. They didn't announce their "standard, boilerplate policy" in Egypt. They didn't announce it in the Ukraine. They supported the coup in both of those cases, so clearly they do take sides in these kinds of things.

The fact that they will not support it here shows that they in fact support the Thaksin regime, at least tacitly.

It is inappropriate for the self proclaimed "policeman of the world" to support a convicted fugitive and human rights abuser. Saying it is just a boilerplate policy is giving the US government a pass they don't deserve. They are supporting Thaksin with this statement. They need to be called out on their hypocrisy by all Americans and peace loving people everywhere.

• Like 1

A coup is an unacceptable solution. Only a salvo of tomahawk missiles followed by full scale invasion will do.

Hypocrites.

Just wondering

How do you invade your own country rolleyes.gif

That's the point... no need for Coups or tomahawks in America..we just all agree to disagree..and allow the vote to decide the future. I think this is the true essense of democracy. Sometimes I say China has an advantage, they have communism, and their Gov't can make the right economic decisions without the will/say of the people. But then I realize, the pros of communist is so heavily outweighed by the bad of communism. Truly, no political structure is perfect.

In USA..

Dems and Republicans at totally divided in the USA. The nation is divides maybe 52% Dem to 48% Republican. But, we also understand, this is the essence of democracy. Disagreement in a civilized way is part of Democracy. We also know that our government is not always functional or even fair. But, we believe that reasonable protest, your voice and voting is the way to create change.

Civil politics is important. After 100 years of Coups... Military Coups have never truly solved the real problem in Thailand, which is the lack of respect in politics..and the lack if understanding of what is democracy.

• Like 1

I thought they said there was no coup.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That joke is about 14 hours old get with the program things move fast in Thailand. Here you can use this one I came up with it last night. You hear the new story about 7-11 in Thailand? They are renaming 5-10 because of the coup! *snare drum*

Mate, you may have to explain that one, for some of less sharp tools in the shed...just like most jokes here.... lol

• Like 1

Coup in Egypt is ok... Coup in Ukraine is ok, but USA says coup in Thailand is not ok...

As an American find this a bit funny..

As some one living here in Thailand ... I can say that while I would never have wanted to see a coup... On some level it is a bit of a relief

Dad has stepped in and told the kids to stop their petty bickering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Egypt - coup ousted an elected government which we didn't like. So it's o k.

Ukraine - coup ousted an elected government which we didn't like. So it's o k.

Thailand - coup ousted an elected government which we liked. So it's bad,

The reasons why some governments are liked and others aren't may be different. But the results the same. We only want our friend's in power. Fine if they are elected. If not then a coup is o k but it's not actually a coup because it's removing someone we don't like so they must be bad.

Got it?

This particular action is what Thailand desperately needed. Stop the violence, the bullying through legal intimidation, the ridiculous law suits and open lies and corruption. Good look to the military on sorting this mess all out - for the benefit of all Thai people not just a few or one fugitive.

Truly wish the Military just did the security to:

- Bring peace

- Bring both parties together for quick negotiations

- Military negotiates mutually agreed to reasonable reforms

- Continue the elections that were scheduled in a few months.

Why could they not avoid a Coup and make the above happen? It could have happened with military security.

I will tell you why.

Its because Thaksin wouldn't play ball and wanted an amnesty thrown in to the fray which was, quite rightly, absolutely unacceptable!!!

No chance of that pal as you being back in Thailand would denigrate Thailand more than it already is.

You can forget elections for a while as they are totally out of the equation and a non-issue as they would serve no purpose and solve absolutely nothing!!

Reforms first please, please take your time and get it right and then elections without corruption, unaffordable (bribe) populist policies (which inevitably lead to corruption) and vetting of the manifestos with compliance to only electioneer with honesty, integrity and honour on what you plan to do if elected!!!

I suspect that those who hint at rising anti-foreigner sentiment in metropolitan middle class circles are correct. Perhaps some of the OTT anti-US comment reflects a certain anxiety on the part of westerners whose continued residency in Thailand could quickly become precarious.

Gentle Readers, we are not!

The division expressed among these comments, essentially by people who have a very modest stake in proceedings, is alarming. It speaks volume about how riven the situation is. If westerners cannot be a little dispassionate about interpretations of history and apportion appropriate weight to current proceedings however can Thai people.

Most cannot see a clear way out of the current malaise. The constitution and non-elected assembages makes it impossible for any non-aligned democratically elected party to complete a term in office, and the people, continue to steadfastly back what was the government - in spite of some clear mistakes. 48% PTP cf 35% UDD.vote of 2010 (wiki) While signiificant - it still leaves a fair proportion who feel unrepresented and who are relentlessly urged to not accept the popular vote.

In a more stable political environment - even where the balance is much tighter - about 1% in Australia recently, the opposition sits down, does its job of endeavouring to show up faults in the govt, and develops a platform that might tip the balance in the next election while waiting for the incumbents to trip up.

The Dems were halfway there this time. The Rice Scheme was hugely disruptive of the supporter base, they only had to decently ride out one term and present a responsible but appealing platform to gain the ascendency. There was a CHANCE - a slim chance PTP would play the game and await the next opportunity. This would have marked a maturity in the political process Thailand needs.

• Like 1

Flamefest officially over.

It seems some posters are confused as to the scope of the coup.

It suspended the constitution. It did not suspend TV forum rules, which remain in effect and will be fully enforced. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thai soldiers I salute you

America gives you small money and are not the leaders of Thailand

Thailand is a brave modern nation

RESPECT

Modern? hmmm.. maybe when it comes to shopping and being 'Smartphone zombies'..

Wow..modern. That's an overstatement.

But..truly, USA doesn't really care so much, so relax. They simply made a standard statement any country would make when a foreign nation's democratic government is upended by a military coup. Its truly that simple. So Thais, relax.. America doesn't really care as much as you may think. Go on with your way of live... enjoy.

I am not particularly anti-American but I do wish they wouldn't shoot from the hip sometimes.

One of the baffling things about the situation here is that I think we all realise that it is complex.

It is NOT just a matter of red v yellow, democrat v royalist, rich v poor. And it is no use saying that the ballot box is the panacea.

In mature democracies, the system usually works. But we still rely upon good governance and a gendearl presumption that government is for the benefit of all.

It doesn't always work though. Remember, Hitler was elected to power.....

I do not know how one would legislate for good governance. Nor do I know how you would explain the all votors what a particular party's policies are.

The system here just doesn't work in my opinion.

I hope cleverer minds than mine can come up with a solution.

I am not particularly anti-American but I do wish they wouldn't shoot from the hip sometimes.

One of the baffling things about the situation here is that I think we all realise that it is complex.

It is NOT just a matter of red v yellow, democrat v royalist, rich v poor. And it is no use saying that the ballot box is the panacea.

In mature democracies, the system usually works. But we still rely upon good governance and a gendearl presumption that government is for the benefit of all.

I do not know how one would legislate for good governance. Nor do I know how you would explain the all votors what a particular party's policies are.

Shoot from the hip? The US simply said they denounce/do not support military coup in Thailand. I think most other nations have said the same. Its just that simple. The money being discussed is nothing. Its a simple law in the USA that if there's a military coup, then all foreign aid must end. This is just the law. Relax, USA is not too stressed out about this. Fact is, Thais have failed to figure out democracy for 100+ years..and why should we expect them to figure it out now. I will say, its disappointing. I have a business in Thailand and this does impact my business.

A coup is an unacceptable solution. Only a salvo of tomahawk missiles followed by full scale invasion will do.

Hypocrites.

Just wondering

How do you invade your own country rolleyes.gif

That's the point... no need for Coups or tomahawks in America..we just all agree to disagree..and allow the vote to decide the future. I think this is the true essense of democracy. Sometimes I say China has an advantage, they have communism, and their Gov't can make the right economic decisions without the will/say of the people. But then I realize, the pros of communist is so heavily outweighed by the bad of communism. Truly, no political structure is perfect.

In USA..

Dems and Republicans at totally divided in the USA. The nation is divides maybe 52% Dem to 48% Republican. But, we also understand, this is the essence of democracy. Disagreement in a civilized way is part of Democracy. We also know that our government is not always functional or even fair. But, we believe that reasonable protest, your voice and voting is the way to create change.

Civil politics is important. After 100 years of Coups... Military Coups have never truly solved the real problem in Thailand, which is the lack of respect in politics..and the lack if understanding of what is democracy.

Dems and Republicans............you forgot LOBBYISTS in your post! You know who's side they're on!

Shoot from the hip? The US simply said they denounce/do not support military coup in Thailand. I think most other nations have said the same. Its just that simple. The money being discussed is nothing. Its a simple law in the USA that if there's a military coup, then all foreign aid must end. This is just the law. Relax, USA is not too stressed out about this. Fact is, Thais have failed to figure out democracy for 100+ years..and why should we expect them to figure it out now. I will say, its disappointing. I have a business in Thailand and this does impact my business.

It's not just the USA, UK has also jumped to simplistic conclusions. Personally, I blame the journalists for not explaining the situation more thoroughly.

I heard the American ambassador being interviewed by the BBC and it was just so weak.

Something had to happen to bring about real change.

I am optimistic.....

This is ridiculous. As an American, I must say that those fools have no idea what they're talking about. There's plenty of "Justification" for this coup, as far as I'm concerned. The Thai Military seems to be doing a good job at remaining fair to both parties in this situation so far, and I'm happy to see this done before things spiral out of control, and give America a reason to say that "There is justification". We've seen enough violence and senselessness here over the years, when government and military action came way to late. It's none of America's business and they need to stop getting involved in matters that they cannot truly know about or even understand.

Spoken like a true American!!! Nice to see honesty here.

• Like 1

As the serious history books tell us, Hitler's party never achieved a majority in a general election. The Nazi Party's seizure of power through the 'Enabling Act' of 1933 actually required a good deal of dirty dealing, the banning of the Communist Party and the collusion of other minor parties. In many historical cases democracy ceased to work when organised interest groups mobilised to subvert it,

Why is US always the first one in to ruin the relations with everybody?

Does US government not understand Thailand does not care?

Yes, until China comes knocking at the door, then all of a sudden Thailand cares again.

Edited by dude123

American President and Kerry both grovel at the same feet of Thaksin's overlords. The American position on Thailand is a position that if realized would have Thailand totally eviscerated and emptied of all public assets, future value, and bind it's people in public and private debt. Thaskin is ICG, Chatham House, and CFR's go to dictator, until another comes along. They will seek to minimize his negatives abroad, lionize his accomplishments, demonize the Thai Military (because Suthep no longer matters), and possibly create, as another TV guy pointed out a possible government in exile- real scary possibility. International perception cannot be controlled and hardly influenced by anything the Thai junta does. They would be wise to learn a lesson and get on the forward side of the wave of the future- act fast! Act decisively! Accomplish goals dramatically! Leave little room for reversal of fortunes! Create the conditions for a de facto accepted handoff; make the handoff; ensure you leave in place tools for its survival; then go back to weapons training and sailing boats. With the swift decisive actions/changes, and hopefully stewards left in place to enable continuity, the Thai military can get out while the west is still a few steps behind.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE RESOLVE of America to screw her allies, injure Thailand, and further it's global corporatacracy. Think quickly. Move quickly. And Thailand will be old news in 1-3 news cycles.

For a lot of expat's living here (not all) the military coup is the best solution for Thailands current problems. The politicians could not and would not do the right thing for the country so the military have. We support you.

You think speak for all of us do you?

You certainly don't speak for me.

People with your ideology are the reason military coups are so frequent in Thailand.

I await the friendly messages to Kerry and Psaki by resident American expats, following their remarks.

Obama will probably be texting Yingluck.

Thailand does not need America Very few Thais visit America Many Americans visit Thailand, Thailand can ban Americans and it will hurt Americans Also who is America to tell Thailand what to do

I await the friendly messages to Kerry and Psaki by resident American expats, following their remarks.

Thailand does not need America Very few Thais visit America Many Americans visit Thailand, Thailand can ban Americans and it will hurt Americans Also who is America to tell Thailand what to do

Los Angeles, California has the largest Thai population outside of Asia. It is home to the world's first Thai Town. In 2002, it was estimated that over 80,000 Thais and Thai Americans live in Los Angeles. Other large Thai communities are in Clark County, Nevada; Cook County, Illinois; Dallas County, Texas; Orange County, California; San Bernardino County, California; San Diego County, California; San Francisco, California; Fairfax County, Virginia; and Montgomery County, Maryland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_American

The Thai Army and establishment seems to be doing exactly what they want this time. Last time too. And the time before that, and before that.

What exactly are you on about?

Ah America, such a bastion of the right and the just!

Never in US history has a government ever funded despots in foreign lands and trained them and assisted them in overthrowing their current leadership - never!!