US denounces Thai coup, warns on relations

webfact

It is just standard boiler plate policy comment.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That's a cop out. They didn't announce their "standard, boilerplate policy" in Egypt. They didn't announce it in the Ukraine. They supported the coup in both of those cases, so clearly they do take sides in these kinds of things.

The fact that they will not support it here shows that they in fact support the Thaksin regime, at least tacitly.

It is inappropriate for the self proclaimed "policeman of the world" to support a convicted fugitive and human rights abuser. Saying it is just a boilerplate policy is giving the US government a pass they don't deserve. They are supporting Thaksin with this statement. They need to be called out on their hypocrisy by all Americans and peace loving people everywhere.

Wrong, they did, but it was generally glossed over by use of louder voices.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I reiterate the US has no business here. They care not about Thailand, but are merely jostling for better position in the wider geo political situation which has been unfolding for some time. I posted yesterday about the US hypocritical calls for democracy and reminded posters about their role in supporting the Khmer Rouge genocide and The US backed coup that ousted Cambodian Prince Sihanouk as head of state. I understand such historical facts might not sit comfortably with some, but history is history, and this US atrocity in the name of democracy was just over the Thai border less than 40 years ago. Some might call that fairly recent is historical terms. The senior American Generals of today will certainly remember the Pol Pot engagement very well to their utter embarrassment and shame.

Once again I reiterate the US has no business here. They care not about Thailand, but are merely jostling for better position in the wider geo political situation which has been unfolding for some time. I posted yesterday about the US hypocritical calls for democracy and reminded posters about their role in supporting the Khmer Rouge genocide and The US backed coup that ousted Cambodian Prince Sihanouk as head of state. I understand such historical facts might not sit comfortably with some, but history is history, and this US atrocity in the name of democracy was just over the Thai border less than 40 years ago. Some might call that fairly recent is historical terms. The senior American Generals of today will certainly remember the Pol Pot engagement very well to their utter embarrassment and shame.

Feel better?

Feel better?

How I feel is immaterial. The world will be a better place if the US concentrate their own special brand of democracy within their own territory, and stop trying to impose it on others.

"Thailand is the oldest US ally in Asia and offered crucial support to the United States on conflicts including the Korean and Vietnam wars. The United States provides $11.4 million in aid to Thailand each year, including $3.7 million in military assistance"

Pea Nuts...

​Military aid = castoffs/hand me downs/obsolete/cost too mush to maintain/junk

$11.4 million in cash is peanuts. And by the time it filtered down past greedy fingers, it would be 11.4 million baht of actual benefits. Heck, the fleet spends more on a week in Phuket.

Cruising the neighborhood in one of these is priceless. You can't get better protection even if you could afford it. Which, BTW, you can't. Sadly, neither can we- but that's another thread.

And we don't even send a bill... You're welcome.

800px-Abraham-Lincoln-battlegroup.jpg

And that's the whole point. Those who call US aid peanuts are looking at only direct aid. If the US stopped cruising Asian waters as a show of force, China would move right in. The US has treaties with a number of Asian countries to defend them, and it would and will be good on its word.

A carrier costs 13.5 Billion. That's not counting all of the other ships, submarines, aircraft, etc. It costs 2.4 billion per year to operate the carrier group. Link

The US has had two carrier groups cruising in Asian waters since China began claiming islands it doesn't own in Japan and The Philippines, and when China announced a no fly zone through some of those areas which are used by many countries for commercial flights the US immediately flew military planes and ran ships through there just because - it could. Haven't heard much from China about that lately.

The US is all that's keeping China from gobbling up most of Asia, so criticize away.

• Like 2

And that's the whole point. Those who call US aid peanuts are looking at only direct aid. If the US stopped cruising Asian waters as a show of force, China would move right in. The US has treaties with a number of Asian countries to defend them, and it would and will be good on its word.

A carrier costs 13.5 Billion. That's not counting all of the other ships, submarines, aircraft, etc. It costs 2.4 billion per year to operate the carrier group. Link

The US has had two carrier groups cruising in Asian waters since China began claiming islands it doesn't own in Japan and The Philippines, and when China announced a no fly zone through some of those areas which are used by many countries for commercial flights the US immediately flew military planes and ran ships through there just because - it could. Haven't heard much from China about that lately.

The US is all that's keeping China from gobbling up most of Asia, so criticize away.

And before anyone embarrasses themselves by blurting out "The USA just wants the oil!", I suggest you'd better read this first:

gr-oilprod-300.gif

Source: http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802/where-does-america-get-oil-you-may-be-surprised

• Like 1

"Thailand is the oldest US ally in Asia and offered crucial support to the United States on conflicts including the Korean and Vietnam wars. The United States provides $11.4 million in aid to Thailand each year, including $3.7 million in military assistance"

Pea Nuts...

​Military aid = castoffs/hand me downs/obsolete/cost too mush to maintain/junk

$11.4 million in cash is peanuts. And by the time it filtered down past greedy fingers, it would be 11.4 million baht of actual benefits. Heck, the fleet spends more on a week in Phuket.

Cruising the neighborhood in one of these is priceless. You can't get better protection even if you could afford it. Which, BTW, you can't. Sadly, neither can we- but that's another thread.

I acknowledge all of that, and the fact that many Asian Allies of the US rely on such a presence. I acknowledge the US are welcomed open arms by some of those nations, but not all. However you digress.

This thread is talking about the condemnation of Thailand and the western diplomatic scorn poured upon a Responsible Thai General who is guiding Thailand away from the abyss. Diplomatic scorn from those nations who are responsible for the current horrors in Iraq, the future horrors which WILL unfold in the new Afghan democracy, and let's not even start on Syria!

General Prayuth has laid out his objectives. Read them. He is determined to set in place conditions which will support an inclusive reform process leading to democratic, non vote buying, elections. Unfortunately for US interests Thaksin's days appear over once and for all!

Edited by iancnx

And before anyone embarrasses themselves by blurting out "The USA just wants the oil!", I suggest you'd better read this first:

gr-oilprod-300.gif

Source: http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802/where-does-america-get-oil-you-may-be-surprised

Great chart thank you. It illustrates perfectly why the US has vested interest in the oil/gas reserves around the world; to stop their adversaries getting their hands on it! I understand there are substantial so far untapped reserves in Thai territory. Now if in years to come that was supplied directly to China, would that be un-democratic in the language of Uncle Sam?

Great chart thank you. It illustrates perfectly why the US has vested interest in the oil/gas reserves around the world; to stop their adversaries getting their hands on it! I understand there are substantial so far untapped reserves in Thai territory. Now if in years to come that was supplied directly to China, would that be un-democratic in the language of Uncle Sam?

China already gets a lot of Thai produced oil. And a lot of Middle Eastern oil.

gu_biz_chart_2.jpg

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/dec/16/fracking-risky-salvation-america-hard-pressed-heartlands

Take a look at the Guardian chart above and ask yourself who shoulders the financial burden to keep the Middle Eastern oil flowing, and protecting the sea lanes so the tankers can get insurance?

China, Europe, India and Japan/Korea are getting pretty much a free ride, on the American taxpayer. Personally, I'd love to see them shouldering some of the costs. But that ain't going to happen, so the USA is goat-roped into filling the void. Which, of course, makes us pretty unpopular in lots of circles. Circles that would soon collapse if that US military presence went away and they started having to pay the real price of a barrel of oil delivered safely.

You're welcome.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I acknowledge all of that, and the fact that many Asian Allies of the US rely on such a presence. I acknowledge the US are welcomed open arms by some of those nations, but not all. However you digress.

This thread is talking about the condemnation of Thailand and the western diplomatic scorn poured upon a Responsible Thai General who is guiding Thailand away from the abyss. Diplomatic scorn from those nations who are responsible for the current horrors in Iraq, the future horrors which WILL unfold in the new Afghan democracy, and let's not even start on Syria!

General Prayuth has laid out his objectives. Read them. He is determined to set in place conditions which will support an inclusive reform process leading to democratic, non vote buying, elections. Unfortunately for US interests Thaksin's days appear over once and for all!

I have an issue with the scorn heaped on the US when more than 40 countries and the UN have condemned this general's actions. There were more than 20 countries that participated in the Iraq invasion, with the UK supplying more than 30% of the troops.

The UK and Canada still have troops in Afghanistan.

Are you from one of the countries that participated?

EU countries and Asian allies spend very little on military because the US does. Germany wouldn't even need a military with the massive US permanent presence there both in shipyards and air bases. They don't even have nukes, but the US does, on board. There are only two European allies who have nukes and that's the UK and France. But the US has them scattered all over to deter Russia.

You get back to me in a couple of years when we find out how good or bad this General is. We don't know yet. We do know that historically military run governments dictatorships haven't worked out well. That's what we have now.

We also know that the US has laws that prohibit it from supporting such a government as this, and the US is a big enough protector, investor, and buyer of Thai exports that Thailand should indeed care what it thinks.

• Like 2

Well I knew Washington was pretty ticked at the Thai military for its military mutiny, and most here and elsewhere pretty much expected military aid and assistance to be cancelled or severely cut back, but Washington has taken some pretty drastic steps. It's clear Washington sees the present coup as a game changer of an event that may alter U.S.-Thai relations in new and important ways.

Still, I seriously doubt Gen Prayuth, the military high command, the Bangkok ammarts, the Bangkok and Surat middle classes give a rat's arse.

Washington knows anyway that the Bangkok elites, despite the Sino-Thai heritage of so many, oppose Beijing's blockbuster infrastructure projects such as the Kra Canal, which the military also violently oppose. Beijing isn't going to gain much if anything from the current impasse in relations between Washington and the Bangkok ammarts and elites.

Obama administration cancels military training exercise with Thailand due to coup

The Obama administration said Saturday it has canceled a major military training exercise with Thailand, and a visit by U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Admiral Harry Harris, in response to last week’s coup by the Thai army.

The U.S. military also revoked an invitation to the commander of the Royal Thai Armed Forces to visit the U.S. Pacific Command at Pearl Harbor next month, Adm. Kirby said.

• 52bb84ab2373f214540f6a706700b8c6_mugshot

Warriors for democracy.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Saturday that the U.S. also has canceled a U.S. government-sponsored firearms training program in Thailand for the Royal Thai Police that had been slated to begin May 26, and a U.S. government-sponsored study trip to the United States, scheduled for June, for several senior Royal Thai Police officers.

http://www.washingto...y-training-exe/

• Like 1

It troubles me that "the west" have got the "wrong end of the stick"

I think WE would all agree that the situation is complex

It really is not a case of army=yellowshirt=Democrat=wealthy=Royalist aginst redshirt=republican=democracy=oppressed=poor

I really don't understand why the BBC continues with such a simplistic view.

Nor do I understand why that silly American Ambassador girl has got it all so wrong.

At least the British ambo is keeping his head below the parapet. However, the foreign office also appears to subscribe to a simple (and in my opinion, incorrect view)

As we saw when the red shirts occupied Bangkok, the BBC always took the side of the redshirts

This time, the clear bias of Jonathan Head and that woman with the crew cut is just embarassing.

It's no wonder the army are trying to keep the BBC news off air as they just broadcast one side of the story.

It would be good if these journalists were withdrawn and replaced with others with no personal agenda

• Like 1

Being the self confessed global military policeman with an appalling record of supporting rogue governments/militias/insurgents I continue to be amazed at the denial of Uncle Sam's (tacit) support of so many wrongs, when it suits.

Now Gen Prayath's actions just don't suit the NWO, so watch out Thailand!

I'm pleased with the actions of the coup to date, and so are Thaksin's red shirt farmers, or at least they will be once paid in the near future. I pray for an early inclusive reform process leading to true democratic elections without the vote buying!

• Like 1

I have an issue with the scorn heaped on the US when more than 40 countries and the UN have condemned this general's actions. There were more than 20 countries that participated in the Iraq invasion, with the UK supplying more than 30% of the troops.

The UK and Canada still have troops in Afghanistan.

Are you from one of the countries that participated?

EU countries and Asian allies spend very little on military because the US does. Germany wouldn't even need a military with the massive US permanent presence there both in shipyards and air bases. They don't even have nukes, but the US does, on board. There are only two European allies who have nukes and that's the UK and France. But the US has them scattered all over to deter Russia.

You get back to me in a couple of years when we find out how good or bad this General is. We don't know yet. We do know that historically military run governments dictatorships haven't worked out well. That's what we have now.

We also know that the US has laws that prohibit it from supporting such a government as this, and the US is a big enough protector, investor, and buyer of Thai exports that Thailand should indeed care what it thinks.

Firstly I gave 23 years of my life in service to my country, UK and am proud to be British. I am not proud of the direction British Foreign Policy has taken since we got collared with that idiot Blair. I voted with my feet, by both retiring from the military, and deciding to leave the country I loved. The Blair lap dog and his corralling of European leaders in support of US foreign policy means we are no longer GREAT Britain. I am hopeful, if not a little naively, that Thailand can stand up to any further American interference in their affairs.

Secondly your US laws really are wonderful when it suits, right up until your National Security is at risk, then your laws become secondary. Let's not start listing all the things of the past that SHOULD have prohibited you supporting certain regimes, or your tacit support (or worse) of militias and insurgencies to overthrow governments which were not so flavoursome at any given time. Let's not get started on the Afghan Mujahideen and the not so insignificant tête-à-tête with Osama!

• Like 1

Being the self confessed global military policeman with an appalling record of supporting rogue governments/militias/insurgents I continue to be amazed at the denial of Uncle Sam's (tacit) support of so many wrongs, when it suits.

I'm pleased with the actions of the coup to date, and so are Thaksin's red shirt farmers, or at least they will be once paid in the near future. I pray for an early inclusive reform process leading to true democratic elections without the vote buying!

People who talk of and bang on about "true" democracy as opposed to democracy per se have an agenda that is inconsistent with democracy so they therefore need to be checked in place.

"Absolute" democracy is another dead give away of the agenda types.

And as has just been demonstrated, people who seize power in the name of "true" democracy are people who are up to no good whatsoever.

• Like 1

anyone that thinks the US and indeed the EU doesn't have two faces looking at Thailand right now are extremely naïve

- There is the public diplomatic face that we all see in the media

- Then there is the behind the scenes face (true face) that is very likely in contact with General Prayuth on a regular basis

That is how this stuff works

• Like 1

People who talk of and bang on about "true" democracy as opposed to democracy per se have an agenda that is inconsistent with democracy so they therefore need to be checked in place.

And as has just been demonstrated, people who seize power in the name of "true" democracy are people who are up to no good whatsoever.

People who talk of and bang on about democracy per se have a dark agenda here that is inconsistent with real democracy so they therefore need to be checked in place. They need to be continually exposed for their hypocrisy on this forum. Especially Americans who blabber about democracy whilst supporting fascist junta in Ukraine where neo-Nazis burned people alive without any consequences. (Odessa massacre).

• Like 1

anyone that thinks the US and indeed the EU doesn't have two faces looking at Thailand right now are extremely naïve

- There is the public diplomatic face that we all see in the media

- Then there is the behind the scenes face (true face) that is very likely in contact with General Prayuth on a regular basis

That is how this stuff works

Why don't you tell us something we don't already know or haven't known for a very long time in these kind of instances.

People who talk of and bang on about democracy per se have a dark agenda here that is inconsistent with real democracy so they therefore need to be checked in place. They need to be continually exposed for their hypocrisy on this forum. Especially Americans who blabber about democracy whilst supporting fascist junta in Ukraine where neo-Nazis burned people alive without any consequences. (Odessa massacre).

+1. Could not have put it better.

Banging on again I see ranting against Neo-Nazis in Ukraine while supporting fascism in Thailand and, in fact, denying fascism exists in Thailand.

Bang on.

Banging on again I see ranting against Neo-Nazis in Ukraine while supporting fascism in Thailand and, in fact, denying fascism exists in Thailand.

Bang on.

Not sure he was ranting, just pointing out the facts.

Trouble is, we can bang on about US foreign policy until the cows come home. It won't make you change your (in denial) point of view. Everyone is entitled to their point of view, and quite within their rights to remind Uncle Sam of the countless atrocities the great nation has supported under the guise of national security inspired democracy.

• Like 2

Thailand now has a fascist military dictator accountable to no one. Yes this is fascism.

I know of no instance in history where that as worked out well, and a number of them which have been quintessential disasters.

I would rather have seen the status quo hurting the Thai people until the Thai people learned, ie the rice farmers. Also the farmers know darned well that cartels of graft sell them their seed, fertilizer and chemicals at fixed prices and then turn around and buy their farm products at fixed prices. They know.

I wanted to see them suffer from that until they learned the value of their vote. There is no other way they could learn but by the school of hard knocks and this isn't it.

I'm amazed at how so many who have benefited from First World democracies, and who know history can think that a fascist military dictator is the answer to anything.

• Like 1

Thailand now has a fascist military dictator accountable to no one. Yes this is fascism.

I know of no instance in history where that as worked out well, and a number of them which have been quintessential disasters.

I would rather have seen the status quo hurting the Thai people until the Thai people learned, ie the rice farmers. Also the farmers know darned well that cartels of graft sell them their seed, fertilizer and chemicals at fixed prices and then turn around and buy their farm products at fixed prices. They know.

I wanted to see them suffer from that until they learned the value of their vote. There is no other way they could learn but by the school of hard knocks and this isn't it.

I'm amazed at how so many who have benefited from First World democracies, and who know history can think that a fascist military dictator is the answer to anything.

General Prayuth has listed his priorities. Let's see how he gets on. I believe there will be free and fair elections once the General's fully inclusive civilian led reforms have been put in place. I pray sooner rather than later, but only once the corruption from the electoral process has been removed.

General Prayuth has listed his priorities. Let's see how he gets on. I believe there will be free and fair elections once the General's fully inclusive civilian led reforms have been put in place. I pray sooner rather than later, but only once the corruption from the electoral process has been removed.

Do you accept the principle of one person, one vote as a principle and practice of equality or at the least equity?

Might you perceive Gen Prayuth as accepting the principle and its application, or perhaps his being very comfortable and at home with the principle and its application to Thailand?

I have more questions but I'd rather not risk your systems going on overload.

Bang on.

Oh no, I'm not ranting. I see that your cage has been truly rattled just by exposing your own hypocrisy. I don't deny fascism in Thailand. I see fascism in the red mob movement. I've seen their storm-troopers in action, I've seen red-mob village volunteers in action etc...etc....The whole UDD/Red mob movement is some sort of perverted mix between communists and fascists. Not even a D of democracy.

I can name for you another fascist military dictator who charmed the masses with promises to restore a nation. He appealed to national pride like a snake charmer. He was seen as the answer to a deeply troubled country's problems, and the masses adored him.

He was followed blindly as people had great hope. He made a lot of promises too.

I see a lot of blind hope in Thailand - hope in another fascist military dictator, the likes of whom have always been on a power trip and never cared about the people.

Get back to me in a couple of years.

Do you accept the principle of one person, one vote as a principle and practice of equality or at the least equity?

Might you perceive Gen Prayuth as accepting the principle and its application, or perhaps his being very comfortable and at home with the principle and its application to Thailand?

He is not a condescending prat, but he will do til we find one. biggrin.png

He is not a condescending prat, but he will do til we find one. biggrin.png

Thx but I'm looking forward to the poster answering the two questions I put to him.

He's not obligated to answer, nor is he required to reply.

Perhaps the poster is offline, which means you can chill to let him get back to me