Lesbians in Isan

rlopes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean women who have no significant male friends, and spend most of their time with other women; then I would say the place is crawling with 'em.

The longer I live in Ampour Phimai, and the more I see of the character of the MAJORITY (note, not all) of the masculine gender; I would probably veer towards appearing lesbian myself under similar circumstances.

That said, I dislike lesbians, and met none during my time in Thailand exploring bars, massage parlours and night clubs.

The thai woman I have spent the last 8 years with still shows zero signs of lesbianism, phew.

@rlopes. If you mean domineering women, you're probably right.

But lesbians? I doubt it. (and I've lived in Isan for the past 6 years)

You must lead a sheltered life IB because I see them everywhere - and in most villages. In shopping malls they are two a Penny.

Perhaps we should be clear, by lesbian I refer to what my missus calls "Tom". Often sporting cropped hair, combat fatigues or similar 'butch' looking attire. They invariably seem to attract some of the most gorgeous looking girls.

You are right about toms pulling the best birds, i am always amazed at what level they play at.

• Like 2

I can introduce you to a few.wink.png

I'll bet you can..........................

• Like 1

Just because they dress like males don't make them lesbians.

The Tom-Dee identity Tom identity

A Tom is a female who dresses, acts, and possibly speaks in a masculine fashion. She may not actually be a lesbian, but she may be perceived as one by others. Toms wear their hair short, a deviation from traditional Thai culture which prizes long hair as a sign of feminine beauty. Women usually wear skirts in Thailand, and in many government offices skirts are compulsory and pants suits banned. Toms dress in men's clothing - slacks, sandals, and a loose fitting button-down shirt. A Tom will use male speech terms, especially the old, now-crude pronouns goo and mueng.[2]

Dee identity

The Dee is a homosexual (or bisexual) female who follows outward Thai gender norms. A Dee will look, act, and speak in a manner conducive to typical Thai female gender norms. The only differentiation between Dee and “traditional females” is that Dee engage in relationships with Tom.[3]

Tom-Dee within society

Heterosexual public displays of affection are frowned upon within Thai culture. However affection between same sex individuals is considered the norm. In this way Tom-Dee partnerships can be invisible to the wider society.[4] 94.6% of Thai citizens are Buddhist.[5] High social acceptance is due to the nature of the surrounding Buddhist culture, which places a high value on tolerance. Using the notion of Karma, a belief that being a Tom/Dee is the result of transgressions in past lives, concluding that Tom/Dee deserve pity rather than blame

• Like 2

A Tom is a female who dresses, acts, and possibly speaks in a masculine fashion. She may not actually be a lesbian, but she may be perceived as one by others. Toms wear their hair short, a deviation from traditional Thai culture which prizes long hair as a sign of feminine beauty. Women usually wear skirts in Thailand, and in many government offices skirts are compulsory and pants suits banned. Toms dress in men's clothing - slacks, sandals, and a loose fitting button-down shirt. A Tom will use male speech terms, especially the old, now-crude pronouns goo and mueng.[2]

Dee identity

The Dee is a homosexual (or bisexual) female who follows outward Thai gender norms. A Dee will look, act, and speak in a manner conducive to typical Thai female gender norms. The only differentiation between Dee and “traditional females” is that Dee engage in relationships with Tom.[3]

Tom-Dee within society

Heterosexual public displays of affection are frowned upon within Thai culture. However affection between same sex individuals is considered the norm. In this way Tom-Dee partnerships can be invisible to the wider society.[4] 94.6% of Thai citizens are Buddhist.[5] High social acceptance is due to the nature of the surrounding Buddhist culture, which places a high value on tolerance. Using the notion of Karma, a belief that being a Tom/Dee is the result of transgressions in past lives, concluding that Tom/Dee deserve pity rather than blame

I bow down to the superior knowledge of whoever wrote the piece of twaddle above.

Please explain to me why every Tom I see has a Dee in tow and not a man?

• Like 1

I think the OP is referring to women who will have nothing to do with him

They must be lesbians!! tongue.png ,

when I was younger I was convinced of the same thinglaugh.png

PS: now I am so attractive even lesbians are are willing to reconsidertongue.png

Found a new drug did we?

I think the OP is referring to women who will have nothing to do with him

They must be lesbians!! tongue.png ,

when I was younger I was convinced of the same thinglaugh.png

PS: now I am so attractive even lesbians are are willing to reconsidertongue.png

Found a new drug did we?

No my condition is totally organic

But if you know of drugs that would help, I am willing to trytongue.png

Dee identity

Tom-Dee within society

I bow down to the superior knowledge of whoever wrote the piece of twaddle above.

Please explain to me why every Tom I see has a Dee in tow and not a man?

Because you're not dealing with every Harry Dick and Tom here?

You must lead a sheltered life IB because I see them everywhere - and in most villages. In shopping malls they are two a Penny.

Perhaps we should be clear, by lesbian I refer to what my missus calls "Tom". Often sporting cropped hair, combat fatigues or similar 'butch' looking attire. They invariably seem to attract some of the most gorgeous looking girls.

Shame.... That's why Thailand is Thailand

Where I live, village in Nongbulamphu, close to Nonsang I am continually amazed at the number of Tom and Dee relationships there are. A lot of the Dee's have a farang on the string somewhere but are in a relationship with a Tom. And I do not mean a few couples but many.

• Like 2

If you mean women who have no significant male friends, and spend most of their time with other women; then I would say the place is crawling with 'em.

The longer I live in Ampour Phimai, and the more I see of the character of the MAJORITY (note, not all) of the masculine gender; I would probably veer towards appearing lesbian myself under similar circumstances.

That said, I dislike lesbians, and met none during my time in Thailand exploring bars, massage parlours and night clubs.

The thai woman I have spent the last 8 years with still shows zero signs of lesbianism, phew.

Nonsense. Its Latent in all women. A recent study conducted found that 43% of women from ages 18 to 40 admitted to same sex relationships. Same study for men was 2%

wow....where's sheryl when you need her.....certainly this topic is a violation of the infamous rule #11....slurs....about....sexual orientation.....oh, god forbid this post should be locked.....deleted....warnings issued.......oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

If they really are girls, as it takes two opposites to form a relationship.

My doctor in BKK is very 'Tom', will be interesting if I ever need a prostate check. Last one of those was a company med performed by a very attractive lady doc in the UK. She made the mistake of checking my blood pressure afterwards and was concerned it was so high.

All night groups of ladies in Isaan is normal - gambling.

I've not noticed. It is as much interest to me as pointing out the abundance of ill mannered, poorly dressed, unkempt and uncivil visitors. I have no interest in any of it nor does it affect my inner peace.

Live and Let Live.

• Like 2

Just plain weird, this...