UK dividend income question

Hi

I would like to use dividend income I receive from my UK share holdings to prove monthly/annual income

I can provide " Consolidated Tax vouchers " from 3 well known UK brokers, they include my name and UK address.

Does anyone know or have thoughts on whether this would be acceptable as income proof for an extension of stay in Thailand, hope I am using the right terminology.

In addition I can obtain a statement from my property letting agent for rental income received.

I`m 51 yr.old British national

Many Thanks.

I am sure the UK embassy will accept your proof of income to do an income letter you will need to need at immigration to prove an income of 65k baht needed to apply for an extension of stay,

You should contact them to confirm,

• Like 1

As you can sell shares at any time, I would think that consolidated tax vouchers can only prove what you have received and are not any guarantee of ongoing income.

I have shares that used to pay dividends that have not for several years !

Edited by The Fat Controller

I am sure the UK embassy will accept your proof of income to do an income letter you will need to need at immigration to prove an income of 65k baht needed to apply for an extension of stay,

You should contact them to confirm,

The USA embassy are regarded as a soft touch for income letters - I am not so sure about the British embassy.

Are you making personal application or doing it by post?

I sent my pension statement and full details of rental incomes. They just certified the pension (which was OK because it was over 65k).

It is easier to explain in a personal visit but if applying by post you will need to provide the full story.

All UK receipts pass through a bank account. I recommend 3 months copy bank statement highlighting the income you want to include.

Dividend income cannot be guaranteed. I doubt that matters as I believe the certification will be based on the historic payments you are declaring.

If all else fails, raise a small mortgage and prove money in the bank.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

The British Embassy will accept a UK bank statement if that's where they are paid.

The Embassy only needs current, or preferably the last year.

Future payments are for next year.

PS: Wish I'd learned the power of componding when I was your age.

Edited by Bpuumike
  • Like 1

The British Embassy only ever seem to add up the last 6 months and divide by 6, for the monthly income statement.. Well that is my experience!

Yes, what happens in the future is for next year's visa/extension. You don't need, or be expected to provide, proof of future income.

How can this prove that you will have that income every month in the future???

How can someone using employment income (eg not retired, on a marriage visa) prove they will continue to have it every month in the future? I don't think this is what the letter is intended to prove - it's an assurance of the current state of finances.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

It's different from the Swedish embassy. I can't get any income letter because I sold stocks or got dividends/interest last year

As long as it's within the year, this visa year, that you are applying for, then evidence, as in bank statements from any country, should be good enough for Immigration, though you might need them translated into Thai (??).

Beyond that then request advice from the resident TVF gurus, Ubonjoe and Mario, specifying dates,etc.

You don't need to give those gentlemen full financial details so long as your last year (or less?) income meets the Immigration requirements.

For next year's application you will need to prepare your evidence.

PS: Apologies Joe & Mario, have reached the limits of my knowledge.

• Like 1

It's different from the Swedish embassy. I can't get any income letter because I sold stocks or got dividends/interest last year

As long as it's within the year, this visa year, that you are applying for, then evidence, as in bank statements from any country, should be good enough for Immigration, though you might need them translated into Thai (??).

Beyond that then request advice from the resident TVF gurus, Ubonjoe and Mario, specifying dates,etc.

You don't need to give those gentlemen full financial details so long as your last year (or less?) income meets the Immigration requirements.

No bank statement is not good enough for the Immigration. I need the income letter from my Embassy. And I don't have any problem getting it because I have a pension. But they would not give me one just because I sold stocks or got some dividends income last year

How can someone using employment income (eg not retired, on a marriage visa) prove they will continue to have it every month in the future? I don't think this is what the letter is intended to prove - it's an assurance of the current state of finances.

Not every month in the future. But at least today and a few months ahead. And thats a lot more than I can do with a dividend income from stocks last year. And that's probably why my embassy don't accept that for the income letter Edited by larsjohnsson

No bank statement is not good enough for the Immigration. I need the income letter from my Embassy. And I don't have any problem getting it because I have a pension. But they would not give me one just because I sold stocks or got some dividends income last year

Apologies, but you say 'my Embassy'. If you are a British National as claimed, with a Britsh passport, then the British Embassy (Consular Section) will give you a certificate of income based on bank statements for your current visa year.

It seems to me you are over-complicating things.

For someone with such high dividend income you must surely be more financially aware?

I didn't claim British. I even wrote Swedish embassy in my post before. And wrote that my Swedish embassy was different from the British. And how do you know that I have such a high dividend income?

Even your own quote have Swedish Embassy in the text.

Edited by larsjohnsson

Hi

Thanks for answers, particularly ubonjoe, Jip99 & Bpuumike.

Yes I plan to visit the British Embassy in Bangkok with my income proof, not just do a postal application, that way any questions they may have I can answer.

I will also take several months bank statements with me and maybe more than just 1 year`s income proof.

As to dividends not being proof of future income, fair enough but it doesn`t seem to me they ask for that, rather they are looking for proof of the prior year`s income received in the UK to the level Thai immigration require for an extension of stay, i.e 65 K baht + a month,which I will be able to show.

I would hope that would be acceptable.

Almost impossible to prove future income.

Thanks.

Hi

Thanks for answers, particularly ubonjoe, Jip99 & Bpuumike.

Yes I plan to visit the British Embassy in Bangkok with my income proof, not just do a postal application, that way any questions they may have I can answer.

I will also take several months bank statements with me and maybe more than just 1 year`s income proof.

As to dividends not being proof of future income, fair enough but it doesn`t seem to me they ask for that, rather they are looking for proof of the prior year`s income received in the UK to the level Thai immigration require for an extension of stay, i.e 65 K baht + a month,which I will be able to show.

I would hope that would be acceptable.

Almost impossible to prove future income.

Thanks.

I think and hope you understand it now and you should have no problem.

As I posted above, forget next year's future income for Immigration purposes, but do plan ahead to remain legal.

Good luck, it really isn't a problem.

• Like 1

It doesn't. But any pension is not guaranteed either. I personally trust my ATT and dozens of bonds that I hold as much more reliable then my US Social Security payments!

When a.person fills out the letter to US embassy about his proof of income, say from social security. Do you write the US dollar amount received and also amount transferred to Thai baht? Or just put US amount and imagration does the math. Or just put the value in Thai baht?

When a.person fills out the letter to US embassy about his proof of income, say from social security. Do you write the US dollar amount received and also amount transferred to Thai baht? Or just put US amount and imagration does the math. Or just put the value in Thai baht?

The income affidavit just has a space for your total income in dollars. Immigration will calculate the amount in baht based upon the exchange rate for the day you apply for he extenison

The income affidavit just has a space for your total income in dollars. Immigration will calculate the amount in baht based upon the exchange rate for the day you apply for he extenison
Thank you

The OP might like to consider using the services of another consulate rather than the British one. This has been discussed recently in several threads on here, so do a search. The advantages seem to be that the other consulates are cheaper and less fussy, and for those in Pattaya they are much more conveniently located also.

• Like 1

The OP might like to consider using the services of another consulate rather than the British one. This has been discussed recently in several threads on here, so do a search. The advantages seem to be that the other consulates are cheaper and less fussy, and for those in Pattaya they are much more conveniently located also.

Hi

I thought it was only an Embassy that could provide an income verification letter ?

I don`t know that, just what I assume.

So, can a Consulate provide an income verification letter?

I thought not although it would be more convenient if so and yes, am usually based in Pattaya but no problem to take a trip to Bangkok.

The British Consulate are, in my experience, fairly easy going on the information they require.

For my income letter last December I needed income from several investments included. I showed them UK bank statements from the last 3 months with the income items highlighted and told them it was investment income from several different sources. This was good enough for them and this investment income was added into my other income from pensions, etc.

I did have supporting proof but they didn't ask for it and I didn't offer it.

I guess the British Consulate don't get too fussed about this because they know that if immigration suspect something is fishy, then immigration will not accept the income letter without being shown supporting evidence.

• Like 1

Hi

I thought it was only an Embassy that could provide an income verification letter ?

I don`t know that, just what I assume.

So, can a Consulate provide an income verification letter?

I thought not although it would be more convenient if so and yes, am usually based in Pattaya but no problem to take a trip to Bangkok.

I think he is writing about another countries consulate rather than the UK one.

It has been reported that the Austrian honorary consulate in Pattaya will do them for those from the UK,

• Like 1