Rice payments tomorrow

Lite Beer

Anybody know why the stored rice is not being sold on the world market for whatever Thailand can get for it? And the money used to pay at least part of what's owed?

I heard today that under the rules of the WTO (World Trade Organization), subsidized crops and/or subsidized manf goods cannot be sold internationally, as it represents unfair competition. I also heard that the US and other large members of the G8 or G20 were putting a great deal of pressure on Thailand not to sell its warehoused rice on the international market -- or face sanctions if they try.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

The WTO prohibits the dump of products below cost price on the international markets, as that would bring other countries in problem.

I think it might be more than that, Jesse. If Thai farmers are paid 15 Baht/kilo by the govt for the rice they grow, and farmers in other countries have to sell for only market price (say, 9 Baht/kilo), then Thai farmers will grow lots of rice no matter how low the price might be in world markets. Then Thailand will end up dumping lots of rice onto world markets and drive down the price for everyone, because the Thai farmers are insulated from free market forces. That's the unfair competition, and that's why the international community, AFAIK, is refusing to let Thailand sell it's subsidized rice -- at any price.

It's not a matter of the price they're willing to sell it at. It's the problem that Thai rice farmers have been insulated from market forces by the rice buying scheme. Therefore, they'll probably continue to grow as much as they can, no matter how low international prices might fall. And, over time, that will drive other, non-subsidized farmers in other countries, out of business.

That's how it was explained to me, anyhow.

Anyone know more about this than I do?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted somewhere before the BAAC manager in Kalasin said there were 800 farmers owed 55 million from his bank so the debts are all over.

Also unconfirmed reports that the general has ordered audits of all rice warehouses.

If true it will reveal just what is there and what condition it is in.

The net closes.

Yes, when there was alleged and I'll use the term alleged claims of missing rice stock, that brought about the cases against the old government, the NACC should have done exactly as the General has done, and ordered audits on all of these warehouses, and if there is the millions of tonnes missing as claimed, all those, from the top to the bottom will/should face serious charges.

If however there isn't any missing rice, then the accusers should also face serious charges.. until the stock/audit has been conducted, it will be a wait and see, it's great that things are starting to move with regards to paying the farmers, but there's still the serious issue of selling the current stock, to make way for the new stock. The Junta are unable to "dump" this on the market, and it also depends on whether the international buyers actually "want" to do business with the Junta too,

Also these buyers are well aware of the problems, and they're not going to offer top prices, the Junta are going to be in a take it or leave it situation, faced with a product they cannot shift, poor market prices, and more stock coming in, with the farmers still expecting to be honoured to the letters they have about price pledging. The scheme needs to be scrapped, or else no matter what, it's still going to lose the country Billions..

Anybody know why the stored rice is not being sold on the world market for whatever Thailand can get for it? And the money used to pay at least part of what's owed?

I heard today that under the rules of the WTO (World Trade Organization), subsidized crops and/or subsidized manf goods cannot be sold internationally, as it represents unfair competition. I also heard that the US and other large members of the G8 or G20 were putting a great deal of pressure on Thailand not to sell its warehoused rice on the international market -- or face sanctions if they try.

The WTO prohibits the dump of products below cost price on the international markets, as that would bring other countries in problem.

I think it might be more than that, Jesse. If Thai farmers are paid 15 Baht/kilo by the govt for the rice they grow, and farmers in other countries have to sell for only market price (say, 9 Baht/kilo), then Thai farmers will grow lots of rice no matter how low the price might be in world markets. Then Thailand will end up dumping lots of rice onto world markets and drive down the price for everyone, because the Thai farmers are insulated from free market forces. That's the unfair competition, and that's why the international community, AFAIK, is refusing to let Thailand sell it's subsidized rice -- at any price.

It's not a matter of the price they're willing to sell it at. It's the problem that Thai rice farmers have been insulated from market forces by the rice buying scheme. Therefore, they'll probably continue to grow as much as they can, no matter how low international prices might fall. And, over time, that will drive other, non-subsidized farmers in other countries, out of business.

I think that is exactly what I said. If the Thai government pays 15.000 Bht to the farmers, then that is the cost price for the WTO, so Thailand isn't allowed to sell below 15.000 Bht on the world markets.

I think that is exactly what I said. If the Thai government pays 15.000 Bht to the farmers, then that is the cost price for the WTO, so Thailand isn't allowed to sell below 15.000 Bht on the world markets.

OK, yes, I understand now. I think we're on the same page.

So what can Thailand do with all that rice? Burn it? Give it away to the UN or other charities? Give it away to Thai people? Sell it locally?

From what I understand, it has been treated with several chemicals to keep it from spoiling or being eaten by rats, insects, etc. And that makes it questionable, whether it's really safe for human consumption now. Also, some of it is years old.

So what's going to happen to it? With people starving around the world, it seems criminal to just dump it. But I'm also not sure I'd want to find it showing up at the market where we shop.

What do you think?

OK, yes, I understand now. I think we're on the same page.

So what can Thailand do with all that rice? Burn it? Give it away to the UN or other charities? Give it away to Thai people? Sell it locally?

From what I understand, it has been treated with several chemicals to keep it from spoiling or being eaten by rats, insects, etc. And that makes it questionable, whether it's really safe for human consumption now. Also, some of it is years old.

So what's going to happen to it? With people starving around the world, it seems criminal to just dump it. But I'm also not sure I'd want to find it showing up at the market where we shop.

What do you think?

The good thing is that WTO use average market price .. dumping is categorized as selling way below that price.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have so much praise for my new army leader.

I am so happy for the poor farmers to get they money.

For once, poor farmers can stand on their own two feet, and not be bully by rich people like Thaksin & Yngluck anymore.

• Like 1

For once, poor farmers can stand on their own two feet, and not be bully by rich people like Thaksin & Yngluck anymore.

Sounds good on the surface, but how sure are we they are 'poor farmers.' A farmer has to have a large farm to qualify for the program. That eliminates most Thai farmers right there - who have small farms. I believe millers also benefit handsomely from the program, and the millers I've seen in my town of C.Rai all drive late model SUV's and reside in Chinese-style mansions with all the trimmings.

As for the rice itself: Yes, quality is a factor. I assume rice keeps rather well, but it's a grain, and grains age and are susceptible to mold and becoming stale. Judging by the way Thais over-apply chemicals to their rice paddies, it wouldn't surprise me if they're also heavy handed with chemical applications at storage facilities. Caveat emptor.

If they're going to dump it, at least see about donating it to a needy place like South Sudan or N.Korea. If the N.Koreans deem it unfit to eat, then they could at least make giant rice starch statues to their idols.

Sounds good on the surface, but how sure are we they are 'poor farmers.' A farmer has to have a large farm to qualify for the program. That eliminates most Thai farmers right there - who have small farms. I believe millers also benefit handsomely from the program, and the millers I've seen in my town of C.Rai all drive late model SUV's and reside in Chinese-style mansions with all the trimmings.

As for the rice itself: Yes, quality is a factor. I assume rice keeps rather well, but it's a grain, and grains age and are susceptible to mold and becoming stale. Judging by the way Thais over-apply chemicals to their rice paddies, it wouldn't surprise me if they're also heavy handed with chemical applications at storage facilities. Caveat emptor.

If they're going to dump it, at least see about donating it to a needy place like South Sudan or N.Korea. If the N.Koreans deem it unfit to eat, then they could at least make giant rice starch statues to their idols.

The farmer had to be a land owner to participate in the rice pledging (although many tenant farmers just made deals with the landowners) .. that could still be a small amount of land .. it is good that payments are being made.. but hopefully a more sustainable, teaching, nurturing model will be used for further agricultural subsidies!

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Absolutely no excuse for not paying the farmers....

Apart from the blatant effort from the opposition to ensure that they could not be paid.

Not so - a blatant effort by the opposition to stop them borrowing more tom pay for it - rather than using the money they already had borrowed, earned and held for that reason - and a blatant effort to sop them breaking the constitution by borrowing in the country's name with no legal mandate to do so (i.e. caretaker mode).

I was referring to the blatant effort to prevent deals going through when they tried to sell the rice to China, long before they tried to borrow the money.

We do not know the truth of the China G2G deals. Many believe them to be lies (at worse), exaggeration (on amounts and price), or taking discussion to be a done deal (this seems quite likely given the news at the time). It is hard to fully trust the government when it has lied about so much in this regard - another lie was with the tablets when they claimed the Chinese company had gone bust after being paid - when it turned out they were happily still trading (well in fact) in China, and their answer was simply they dropped the contract as they had not been paid in accordance with said contract.

Certainly this could be Yellow propaganda at the time - the point is those that do know can't be trusted to tell us honestly - and the media is biased one way or the other - so we simply do not know. We do know that the international rice exchange (whatever they are called - can't remember now) was very unhappy about Thailand dumping rice and lowering the world prices - so they had kind of placed themselves between a rock and a hard place by storing up so much in an effort to control that price.

There was also the problems with rice being returned (by the biggest buyers of Thai rice!) due to gross quality concerns (rotten rice). This was exacerbated when inspections of rice stores found bird and rat carcasses, weevils and droppings - along with poorly stored rice (i.e. bags not closed properly/laid on the ground/damp/open or leaking roofs/etc).

It was really a debacle from start to finish - it was really the killer for the government, they could have survived the amnesty bill and the senate bill, but the rice scheme just went from farce to farce - and hurt mainly the people that where their grass roots supporters. A simple transparent scheme based on European or US grain subsidies, especially for fallow paddy (which would lift quality and lower availability and hence raise prices) would have been much better - but would not have been such a vote buyer (or open trough)! An effort to legislate protection and incentive for farmer's co-ops - to limit margin gaps between farmer, agent, miller and buyer/exporter would have gone straight to the farmer's pockets.

Edited by wolf5370

This will be the money that was not available to the ex government?

Good question, I was wondering the same. I seem to recall (and I may very well be mistaken) that Yingluck tried to make payments recently, prior to her dismissal, to the farmers and was denied by either BoT or Parliament, can't remember which.

Also, and perhaps I don't understand the farmer/rice thing well enough, but if the 'rice pledging scheme' was such an outrageous crime perpetrated by the previous administration, why is it now suddenly okay? Or am I confusing two different issues?

I suppose it can be said this is a debt incurred by the Thai government which still has to be discharged. Imagine the mayhem if the farmers were told they would not be paid.

Next question is will the scheme be scaled back or abandoned completelyparliament

I think the scheme finished recently anyway. It would need to have been continued by parliament which couldn't be done as there wasn't one. I don't think parliament stopped the payments for the same reason. The payments now being made are for rice pledged whilst the scheme was still running so doesn't mean it is considered OK.

That's my understanding anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kimamey

As I posted somewhere before the BAAC manager in Kalasin said there were 800 farmers owed 55 million from his bank so the debts are all over.

Also unconfirmed reports that the general has ordered audits of all rice warehouses.

The net closes.

Yes, when there was alleged and I'll use the term alleged claims of missing rice stock, that brought about the cases against the old government, the NACC should have done exactly as the General has done, and ordered audits on all of these warehouses, and if there is the millions of tonnes missing as claimed, all those, from the top to the bottom will/should face serious charges.

If however there isn't any missing rice, then the accusers should also face serious charges.. until the stock/audit has been conducted, it will be a wait and see, it's great that things are starting to move with regards to paying the farmers, but there's still the serious issue of selling the current stock, to make way for the new stock. The Junta are unable to "dump" this on the market, and it also depends on whether the international buyers actually "want" to do business with the Junta too,

Also these buyers are well aware of the problems, and they're not going to offer top prices, the Junta are going to be in a take it or leave it situation, faced with a product they cannot shift, poor market prices, and more stock coming in, with the farmers still expecting to be honoured to the letters they have about price pledging. The scheme needs to be scrapped, or else no matter what, it's still going to lose the country Billions..

I think the rice scheme has already ended. A month or two so I think but not sure.

The net closes.

I think the rice scheme has already ended. A month or two so I think but not sure.

Last one ended.

Next one is about to start.

It can't be ended with the wave of a hand, even if it's a military hand with several thick gold-colored stripes on the sleeve. Thai Farmers in the program are addicted to getting those promised high prices. When Ms Yingluck tried to end the program last summer, hundreds of farmers were revving up their tractor motors, to descend on Bangkok streets. Why would it be different now? Soldiers aren't going to shoot farmers, are they?

The net closes.

Last one ended.

Next one is about to start.

If PTP isn't disbanded or jailed.

It can't be ended with the wave of a hand, even if it's a military hand with several thick gold-colored stripes on the sleeve. Thai Farmers in the program are addicted to getting those promised high prices. When Ms Yingluck tried to end the program last summer, hundreds of farmers were revving up their tractor motors, to descend on Bangkok streets. Why would it be different now? Soldiers aren't going to shoot farmers, are they?

The scheme ended months ago. It has not been possible to pledge rich since.

Where I live farmers are selling for a loss at between 4500 and 7000 bht per tonne.

I think you are right in believing farmers will not put up with this for long and can see the Junta implementing similar to the Democrats subsidy which was paid direct to the farmer.

3 million tonnes of rice is missing from warehouses. Awesome work Yingluck.

Hardly a month ago the Ministry of Conmerce said that no rice went missing, some temporarily mislaid only, all accounted for.

3 million tonnes at an average of 15,000 per tonne is 45 billion Baht. That's a lot of money.

Edited by rubl

Prayuth is the true savior of the poor Thai farmers.

May he lead the Thai Nation forever.

Election is no long necessary.

No, ain't needed in Thailand. For Thailand its always a dictator or the Army. I prefer the Army. No need to rant and rave about democracy this or that, thats just marketing. Really the troops are the only decent boys that get stuff done here.

Edited by gemini81

.... I prefer the Army. No need to rant and rave about democracy this or that, thats just marketing. Really the troops are the only decent boys that get stuff done here.

Perhaps that fits if you agree with all that the Army chiefs mandate. However, I bet you'd sing a whole different tune if the army brass mandated some policies which you didn't like.

.... I prefer the Army. No need to rant and rave about democracy this or that, thats just marketing. Really the troops are the only decent boys that get stuff done here.

Perhaps that fits if you agree with all that the Army chiefs mandate. However, I bet you'd sing a whole different tune if the army brass mandated some policies which you didn't like.

I don't LIKE the curfew but to some extent I can understand it.. although I think they need to stop or relax it soon!

The guy who rents my wifes paddy was paid for his pledged rice yesterday. My Thai father in law is at the bank as I type waiting to collect his payment. Both have been waiting for what they are owed since October.

I have said elsewhere that I do not agree with the coup but will give credit when credit is due. In less than a week money that should have been paid out over 7 months ago has been passed to those who were let down by the previous administration. Well done, I know that it is very much appreciated by the families.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Like 1

Absolutely no excuse for not paying the farmers....

Apart from the blatant effort from the opposition to ensure that they could not be paid.

Not so - a blatant effort by the opposition to stop them borrowing more tom pay for it - rather than using the money they already had borrowed, earned and held for that reason - and a blatant effort to sop them breaking the constitution by borrowing in the country's name with no legal mandate to do so (i.e. caretaker mode).

I was referring to the blatant effort to prevent deals going through when they tried to sell the rice to China, long before they tried to borrow the money.

You haven't been keeping up with the G2G deals.

No, ain't needed in Thailand. For Thailand its always a dictator or the Army. I prefer the Army. No need to rant and rave about democracy this or that, thats just marketing. Really the troops are the only decent boys that get stuff done here.

That's exactly what my Thai/Chinese friend told me 17 years ago. Seems he was right.

As a side note, I read yesterday that just one third of the European electorate had any faith in democracy any more, given the abysmal turn out at the EU elections.

Should countries worldwide be run by autocrats? Certainly not. Should they be run by whatever choice is left to their electorate? Don't think so. 'Democracy is 5 minutes at a voting booth every 4 years' - Karl Marx. Seems he was right to biggrin.png What to do? E F Schumaker had some good ideas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Is_Beautiful

• Like 1

I don't think that there has been any official announcement that the rice pledging scheme is finished. Unfortunately many farmers will still believe that any new season rice will be paid at the same inflated price, B15,000 per tonne, as before. I think there might be a misguided belief that 'the government' military or otherwise should continue to subsidize them because they are are the backbone of the economy.

But agriculture has long since ceased to be the economic driving force in Thailand and now rice has fallen to its lowest international price in many years, of around B6,500 per tonne. Its still costs B9,000 per tonne to produce, so farmers are still in deep poo.

Amazing stuff from the army, thank you oh great ones.

Maybe they can order an examination of their own disgustingly bloated budget next

Right now, they seem to be worth every penny!

Nothing to do with rice payments really, but I remember that in the 2013/2014 National Budget the MoD received 6 billion more than the period before. Same like the Office of the PM which also received 6 billion more.

IF...IF. We'll give up a little time on the streets out and about at night temporarily, rather than hired mobs, missing limbs and endless corruption from PTP. Agree or disagree, they are getting a lot done, organized, and making progress. PTP ought to feel ashamed by now; but I know most of them don't have that emotion.

The net closes.

How would the NACC have paid for the audit?

" Sirilaksana Khoman, the NACC’s chairwoman for the prevention of economic sector corruption, said the agency’s budget has been cut by 60% from 1 billion baht in previous years."

That was by PTP!