Small portions food

namdocmai

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of my staff always go where they get the biggest size of grease rice for the money.

portions are huge. a bigger dish with a mountain of rice till it falls of the edges.....

Big but taste is bad....

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/price-one-plate-meal-go-5-10-baht-per-plate/

Some quick and basic info.. Thailand does indeed regulate the set food dishes.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

ive heard of that before but my experience eating out 3 times a day tells me otherwise

maybe there is rules but they certaintly are not enforced in my area or even in the food courts

of major shopping malls like central rama 9

Sticky rice with mango and coconutsauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?

40 baht is the norm in Chiang Mai. I remember when it was 15 baht, but it was difficult to find shops that would sell it to farangs for that price.

Are you sure about the 40 baht? Because last year it was 35 baht at the market, and this year (last 3-4 months) I have seen between 50 and 70 baht everywhere.

A sticky rice/sweet lady at an outdoor market, where I go for years, offered me just a bag of sticky rice and some coconut milk, to take home, but buy my own mango ...for 70 baht!! Maybe it had 3 servings in it? I have been meaning to check if something is going on with sticky rice or what?? But forgot about it.

Fruits and Veg seem to have skyrocketed in price lately. All of them, not just some!

Are you sure about the 40 baht? Because last year it was 35 baht at the market, and this year (last 3-4 months) I have seen between 50 and 70 baht everywhere.

The two places that I get it, it is still 40 baht. Maybe it is more elsewhere. I know it is at some restaurants that cater to tourists, but I don't eat kow neo mamuang in those places.

Edited by Ulysses G.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Inflation.

Food sellers trying to keep the price the same but compensating with either smaller or lower quality portions. I've noticed this over the past few years.

Piset means special. But when ordering food, it means asking for a bigger portion or more of one ingredient - piset moo...more pork please.

Yes that's what is going on now, they make the portions smaller for the same price. I don't want to leave a restaurant feeling hungry so i will have to order an extra dish then.

I rarely eat chicken from the street, gai yiang is hard to find in restaurants. I can't remember i saw that, it is always deepfried chicken or fillet. Japanese restaurants have nice grilled chicken so i eat it there.

Sticky rice with mango and coconutsauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?

mango and coconut milk costs 80 bht in Samui.

In Samui, it's getting hard though to eat for less than 190 bht,

unless you choose to eat off the street vendors.

But with the street vendors,

if you consider the small portions,

it averages out to be at least 190 bht + for a healthy size meal.

It's basically out of control for the cost of living compared to local salaries.

Fast food is way over the top,

at twice the western world prices.

This wouldn't be such an issue but the pride of making the food is also down,

and the complaints from the restaurants is low profit, so there's often service charge,

even at restaurants in the city. So that adds an automatic 10% to the tab,

for basic service of taking your order, delivery the order, delivery the check.

​If you dare ask for something to be corrected, it's looked upon as you being picky,

or bothersome, even though most places are overstaffed,

and traffic is low.

Some places even charge to use the restrooms,

and tip boxes are everywhere, and I mean everywhere...

I've seen tip boxes at the pharmacies, eye glass shops, True Vision,

electric stores (Suphot Electric) just to name a few.

Everyone is trying to be rewarded for doing their jobs,

and some tourist will state, it's due to their low wages.

But no one tells the businesses to hire twice the amount of people needed for the location,

and there are still several countries working for $1 or $2 a day,

and here it's hard to find labor willing to work for even $10 a day.

So in reality Thai's are ahead of other developing countries,

and they still don't have basic health standards in place,

nor provide any sort of proper dining/comfortable atmosphere;

in most cases.

All & all the locals act like they have better things to do...

and work is not at the top of that list.

Things are not likely to change either.

For most foreigners refuse to complain,

or bring it to any managers attention,

as we normally would in western countries.

Just try asking the waitress / waiter for the manager,

and they will just look at you...facepalm.gif

we simply take what we can get and move on...quickly! w00t.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, its even more noticable in school canteens where the price is regulated to offer a uniform price across the board.

Seemed to be an increase in bones and gristle being served in there too.

I regular by Thai take-away and the prices vary between 40-60 baht

A large "foam-box" (don't use them anymore, but different topic a few weeks ago) Pad Thai chicken with plenty of chicken 40 baht

Same as Fried Basil Chicken with rice, large portion 40 baht

Both way enough for 1 good meal.

Laab Moo (with slices of kidney, I think it is - or liver) a plate full 50 baht, sticky rice large portion 10 baht.

Noodle soup with 1 chicken leg (a large/medium drumstick) 25 baht, I always ask for 2 legs so 40 baht

ect., ect.,

It used to be 10 baht more, due to me being a farang (TIT), but now they reduced it to standard Thai prices, since I am a regular.

Edited by ronthai

Is a normal portion of rice enough for you?

Yes. I usually leave some rice on the plate when I'm finished.

If the portions are sufficient for most people, but not enough for you, should restaurants increase the amounts served to everyone or, since you already know you want/need more, should you order more dishes? If you want 2 x or 5 x the usual amount, order it. What's the problem? If you finish the rice served you and still want more, ask the waiter/waitress for more rice. It's not that difficult.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to change your eating habits. I would be interested to find out what weight are you and what is your condition? A portion size should be the size of your fist and if you eat 6 of these meals a day that is more than enough. Anymore and you are over eating. It would be also interesting to know what your diet is like. You say you like to eat a big bowl of rice (serves 5-6 people) for yourself for one meal..... wow. I have been into fitness my entire life have competed in bodybuilding comps and have many friends still competing. These guys are big, fit and ripped and they wouldn't even eat that in one meal. Also the mind plays tricks on you. I remember reading a study a few years ago on plate sizes as oppose to quantity. They put the same amount of food on 2 different plate sizes. When the food was served on the larger plate, it didn't look like there was enough and some said they were still hungry. When they served the food on the smaller plate, some couldn't eat it all cause they said it was too much. Just because it doesn't look like there is enough, quiet often it is more than enough.

Edited by Phuketboy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh you guys think i 'm a fat american? I am 88 kg and very tall and active so for me the meals are just small.

I ate in a thai steakhouse one day, costed around 60 baht a meal but man was it small. Small piece of chicken, some sauce (a teaspoon full),a leaf of lettuce, 5 french fry's and that was the meal.

Or in Foodland restaurant, mixed grill for 180 baht and i got 4 very small pieces of meat.

I know the prices are not skyhigh but why those small portions? So how can there be so many fat people in Thailand?

The fat people in Thailand are fat now because they're being poisoned with American processed foods laden with sugar. The food industry giants are global and spreading their products, en masse. Their only goal is to find stomach share and they do it by tricking people to states of bliss point which results in a crash and subsequent desire for more (sugar). Fast food poison like McDonalds, KFC, Krispy Creme...., you name it.

Regarding your situation, eat the portions you desire to feel full and accept the cost. Might also want to consider a now well-known healthy practice called portion control which has been scientifically proven to extend life and the quality of it. Good luck. If I find an american style place where they send a plate weighing 5 pounds+ and the accompanying doggie bag, I'll follow up.

If I order a meal in a restaurant, whether it is here in Thailand or back home in Scotland, and the meal has small portions, I just look at it then tell the waitress/ waiter to take it away and increase the portions for the same price that's on the menu, or I walk out. and mean it.

• Like 1

If I order a meal in a restaurant, whether it is here in Thailand or back home in Scotland, and the meal has small portions, I just look at it then tell the waitress/ waiter to take it away and increase the portions for the same price that's on the menu, or I walk out. and mean it.

if you are talking about a restaurant that has photos of the food in the menu (clearly linked to each menu item) then it makes sense to expect a similar portion size as shown in the menu

otherwise, what represents a small portion is completely subjective and it would be very bad form to expect the chef to serve you more (he may well increase your portion size if you demand it, maybe with some unexpected extras included too)

• Like 2

i have seen over the past 2 yeas prices really going up, but so many people were complaining they stopped rasing the prices and just made the servings smaller

DO you shop at the supermarkets an thai markets an dsee the increase over the past few years>

Sticky rice with a small mango 60-80 baht here in Phuket, i cant in the past 30 years ever recall 15 baht !!!

A dietary portion of rice is surprisingly the same size as an old fashioned computer mouse. That said, even I eat more than that and my wife has me "rationed" at home. I have not experienced the skimpy portions you describe but not saying it doesn't happen.

You must walk out of a lot of restaurants.

At least you're getting some exercise.

I do not use reataurants that much because they seem to think that all guys are about 5ft 7ins and weigh about ten stone, hence the small portions. Also, at 6ft tall and 78 Ks, I get enough exercise during my routine everyday.

On the flip side i get shocked everytime I go back to the US and see the portion size and the doggy bags. Here in Thailand I take what they offer and keep moving, If I eat with someone else we split 3-4 dishes and its no big deal, the prices aren't significant, if the total volume of food isn't enough, just add another dish.

Portion of sticky rice or steamed rice from my local rice shop is still 5bht.

About twice as much as I can eat.

No excuse for changing cooked rice portions, rice has been the same price for the last 5 years.

BUT

Rent

Labor

Water

Packaging

Electric

Cooking gas

No excuse for someone not taking into account the entire cost of their product.

'nuff said

~

You must walk out of a lot of restaurants.

At least you're getting some exercise.

What do you mean by that second sentence? I'm 6ft and 78 Kilo, does that sound like I should be getting exercise?