Simple Hack Gives Windows XP Users 5 More Years Of Support

Tywais

I wouldn't do it. Microsoft have already said that they don't test the updates with XP. Plus you might find you download a DLL meant for the Embedded version that screws your XP up.

Mind you, if you are still using XP on the Internet, then you're asking for it. If you're not it's relatively easy to protect.

I've got 2 of those small netbooks that I really like the size of for travelling.
Tried putting 7 on one of them, runs way too slow.
The other one still has XP and I do use it a little bit.
So, hopefully this is good news.
Otherwise I just throw them away. (or try Linux)

• Like 1

It will only be temporary imo, Microsoft will close the loophole. The title should read "Simple Hack Gives XP Users Something To Clutch At Straws With"

Intelligent people will (already have) just updrade(d) to Win 7+

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

Yep, I fall under that umbrella but haven't downloaded or installed a single "Security Update" since Xp SP3 was released a half a life time ago. As my platform is rock solid I have no intention of fixing something that is not broken.

Edit: I do not use IE and have confidence in my 3rd party protection so not concerned about using my dinosaur on the internet.

Good luck with your confidence in 3rd party protection. What are you using?

It will only be temporary imo, Microsoft will close the loophole. The title should read "Simple Hack Gives XP Users Something To Clutch At Straws With"

totster smile.png

So, because some of us still use Xp you need to make wild assumptions about our intelligence --- your the man! Just for your information I dual boot 32 bit Xp SP3 with W7 Ultimate on my machine with most of my software available on both systems. Does that increase my rating?

My default and prefered OS is Xp SP3 and will remain that way into the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Has someone clarified the legality of this 'hack'?

I would doubt that TV wants to promote illegal 'hacks'.

I pretty much think "hack" and "crack" are commonly used interchangeably; but this would be incorrect. Generally, there is nothing wrong with hacking, probing, undressing code, detecting and reporting exploits, etc. it's the cracking that runs afoul of piracy, copyright, and maybe lots of other laws. I think the majority of useful preventions in the modern world come from smart people with lots of free time that just hack software for fun or competition.

A jail broken iPad might be considered "hacked," but a MS Office DVD with kegen folder is a "crack." (I'm pretty certain courts confirmed that jail breaking is not illegal).

Cool news unless you have a pre-installed XP from a thai shop (some other countries too) as MS will spot it as a dud and chop off your extremities ;)

fwiw - I run XP in a vm for some of the good old legacy software that run very fast on it - even in a vm ;) Guess what my host OS is .... ;)

I've got 2 of those small netbooks that I really like the size of for travelling.

Tried putting 7 on one of them, runs way too slow.

The other one still has XP and I do use it a little bit.

So, hopefully this is good news.

Otherwise I just throw them away. (or try Linux)

I've got one of those. It came with XP, but after a year I changed it to Linux Mint Xfce. It's fast and stable. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wouldn't do it. Microsoft have already said that they don't test the updates with XP. Plus you might find you download a DLL meant for the Embedded version that screws your XP up.

Mind you, if you are still using XP on the Internet, then you're asking for it. If you're not it's relatively easy to protect.

Me thinks you didn't read this:

Windows 7 And Windows Vista More At Risk To Viruses Than Windows XP, Says Microsoft

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/12/windows-7-and-windows-vista-more-at-risk-to-viruses-than-windows-xp-says-microsoft/

Good luck with your confidence in 3rd party protection. What are you using?

Avast with Maximized Security. Many years without problems.

Yep, that just doesn't cook it.

But good luck to you.

Me thinks you didn't read this:

Windows 7 And Windows Vista More At Risk To Viruses Than Windows XP, Says Microsoft

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/12/windows-7-and-windows-vista-more-at-risk-to-viruses-than-windows-xp-says-microsoft/

If you're going to refer to it, you ought to consider reading it.

1. The report covers the period July to December 2013 which means Windows XP was still supported with security updates by Microsoft. Something that officially ended (with one notable exception) in April.

2. Windows 7 and Vista were affected by an OS-specific threat from ‘Rotbrow’ malware during this period, which has now been snuffed out.

3. Windows XP still accounts for 25% of all PCs in use compared to nearly 50% of all PCs that run Windows 7 and just 10% of PCs running Windows 8.

I'm still using Windows 3.1, with stunning SVGA graphics. What's the rumpus?

Do you run it on a steam-powered or water wheel-powered computer? You really do need to upgrade to Vista...Microsoft's proudest achievement. wink.png

as a publisher, I can only say that this hack is regrettable, as it prolongs the life of obsolete technologies, which not only are potential security risks, but also cost a lot of money because websites have to be developed today to support technologies that are 20 years old.

XP users: please, use XP as much as you like, BUT: use a modern browser with your windows XP, not Internet Explorer !!

I'm still using Windows 3.1, with stunning SVGA graphics. What's the rumpus?

Do you run it on a steam-powered or water wheel-powered computer? You really do need to upgrade to Vista...Microsoft's proudest achievement. wink.png

I think Windows millennium was superior to vista whistling.gif

Just put win7 64bit Ultimate on my desktop.

Runs at same speed XP did.

Sure, new/upgrade operating systems bring some improvements....but I think it's mostly to generate new revenue stream for Microsoft....just like how the smartphone manufacturers such as Apple and Samsung put out new models all the time and hype them as awesome new products as they know most people will always want the latest and greatest model---need it or not. Human nature.

• Like 2

A short CNN news article titled, "Half of American Adults Hacked This Year."

A partial quote from the short article:

Or that so many people use outdated software, such as Windows XP, which no longer receives security updates. That leads to pervasive problems like the Heartbleed bug or the recent Internet Explorer flaw that allowed attackers to take over your computer.

totster smile.png

So, because some of us still use Xp you need to make wild assumptions about our intelligence --- your the man! Just for your information I dual boot 32 bit Xp SP3 with W7 Ultimate on my machine with most of my software available on both systems. Does that increase my rating?

My default and prefered OS is Xp SP3 and will remain that way into the foreseeable future.

Wow! You are AWESOME !! Dual booting eh?? Why do you persist on using outdated software ? As you say, most of your software is available on both, so what's the issue? I really hope you don't use your preferred OS for internet banking or any other data sensitive operation.blink.png

totster rolleyes.gif