Foreigner allegedly arrested for buying 'Peace please' T-Shirt.

None of us foreigners knows enough of the extend and the backgrounds etc. Even most Thai only know a fraction.

Not knowing the details of a conflict, stay out of it ...

After last week's election in his home country, soon he'll better be going there with that t-shirt and dumb attitude

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand the weird yes sir no yes establishment mindset that operates within TV.

Weird, isn't it? But one of the more salient functions of this forum is to provide a space within which its overwhelmingly petty bourgeois membership can assert their deeply reactionary opinions. Why are the reactionary petty bourgeoisie so over-represented in the white immigrant community? Don’t know but it’s interesting to see. Were these people so reactionary before they became immigrants or is it the pressure of group membership which causes such extraordinary uniformity of opinion (and such extreme, and extremely unpleasant, opinions at that).

I believe it has to do with the advanced age of a large percentage of the membership, and the fact that they were never part of the youth movement starting in the late '60's.

Too many grumpy old men. The type that used to write all those letters to the editor, before computers became popular. tongue.png

• Like 1

He looks like a lilly livered geek anyway,reckon he should have been arrested for how he looks,before buying the shirt.

Don't think there is any need for that comment is there, Mr.Perfect Hansum..........rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

i don't understand the weird yes sir no yes establishment mindset that operates within TV.

Weird, isn't it? But one of the more salient functions of this forum is to provide a space within which its overwhelmingly petty bourgeois membership can assert their deeply reactionary opinions. Why are the reactionary petty bourgeoisie so over-represented in the white immigrant community? Don’t know but it’s interesting to see. Were these people so reactionary before they became immigrants or is it the pressure of group membership which causes such extraordinary uniformity of opinion (and such extreme, and extremely unpleasant, opinions at that).

I believe it has to do with the advanced age of a large percentage of the membership, and the fact that they were never part of the youth movement starting in the late '60's.

Too many grumpy old men. The type that used to write all those letters to the editor, before computers became popular. tongue.png

Oh you radicals, you. Maybe you and Zooheekock should get T-shirts printed with anti-Army paroles and head for Victory Monument. I am sure you hard-core reactionaries will be well received.

Maybe I have lived in too manny countries where getting involved in local politics could get you in big doodoo? Not like you, who presumably ranting against the man would get you a slap on the wrist at the most.

Sorry for making assumptions about you, but you started.

P.S.: I have never written a letter to an editor in my life..

P.P.S. I will keep an eye on the news to see how you do with your anti-Army demonstrations but I will NOT visit you in jail.

• Like 1

Oh you radicals, you. Maybe you and Zooheekock should get T-shirts printed with anti-Army paroles and head for Victory Monument. I am sure you hard-core reactionaries will be well received.

Maybe I have lived in too manny countries where getting involved in local politics could get you in big doodoo? Not like you, who presumably ranting against the man would get you a slap on the wrist at the most.

Sorry for making assumptions about you, but you started.

P.S.: I have never written a letter to an editor in my life..

P.P.S. I will keep an eye on the news to see how you do with your anti-Army demonstrations but I will NOT visit you in jail.

Oh, I don't know, maybe I would go visit just to sit outside his cell with a cold one while the "Boot" kicks him from one end to the other. Zooheekock, I do not know how old you are, nor your life experiences ( if any ), actually I do not care, but it seems to me that you should have been more at home during the Russian Revolution, and look how that turned out for the majority of it's citizens. All you have to remember is that if it was not for a lot of these 'grumpy old white petty bourgeoisie' you would not even have the right of freedom to post your views.

P.S. I too never wrote a letter to an editor, but at least I pride myself that I CAN write a letter without the aid of a computer, spell checker, nor e-mail address...do you know which corner of the envelope to put the stamp on??? I doubt it..coffee1.gif

• Like 1

All you have to remember is that if it was not for a lot of these 'grumpy old white petty bourgeoisie' you would not even have the right of freedom to post your views.

Since the youngest veterans of WW2 are now in their late 80s, there aren’t likely to be an awful lot of them amongst the bootlickers on this forum.

you should have been more at home during the Russian Revolution

Indeed. And if I don’t like it here, I can move to Cuba, right?

I do not know how old you are, nor your life experiences

OK.

do you know which corner of the envelope to put the stamp on??? I doubt it..

Hmm.

Who uses words like "reactionary petty bourgeoisie?" Are you are Communist? I love individual freedom - as opposed to collective slavery. I cherish my God-given inalienable rights. Only a petty Marxist Fascist Nazi tyrant would have a problem with that.

Furthermore, wearing a PEACE PLEASE T-shirt expresses the universal desire of humanity everywhere. Soldiers want peace too. That is the whole reason they seized power - to prevent bloodshed. So I fail to see a problem. Basically, the falang is agreeing with everyone around him. So why would anyone decide to arrest him? Power trip? Very sad...

• Like 2

I love individual freedom - as opposed to collective slavery. I cherish my God-given inalienable rights.

Let me guess. Your favourite philosopher (snigger) is Ayn Rand. And next time you speak to Him, pass on my thanks to the Big G too. Even us Commie bastards love our God-given inalienable rights.

petty Marxist Fascist Nazi

Just for the sake of completeness, next time that might be better as 'Tree-hugging, Marxist, Islamo-Fascist Nazi Democrat'. But that's just a suggestion.

Edited by Zooheekock

This guy was arrested because he wanted to be arrested; it clearly suited his end- how manipulative. There could be another explanation, but I don't buy it. Look at the furrow in this guys brow saying "can you believe this crap- this was the shirt," while he poses in front of other military assets to make the new declaration. This guy's a punk finessing another nation's laws or political strife to make his "we are the world" statement. Through him in the Bkk hilton; let him use the shirt to barter.

A foreigner was arrested by the military after he was found buying Tshirt stating “Peace Please” at Victory Monument.

I'm not a fan of the coup, but the guy did not just buy a T shirt. He was photographed deliberately displaying it in front of a group of soldiers.

I do not know what he intended to achieve, maybe just a 'cool' picture for his facebook, maybe a genuine political statement, but we have all been amply warned about keeping out of Thai politics.

As an expat all my life, I keep out of all politics; no good can come from it. Most of us would probably resent if Thai came to our respective countries and started making political statements.

I have many Thai friends and relatives in my home country who can vote and make whatever political statement they like. They're British citizens.

• Like 1

Well, I am not a citizen of the country I love in. And even as a citizen I would not have tyke same rights that so many Europeans enjoy and take for granted.

I'd rather have birds than planes.

Why make political statements in a country where a) you cannot vote, cool.png the locals might not like you getting involved, and c) it makes you look like a total ****?

I think the same when I see the Red v Yellow Farang posters in the Thailand News forum.

• Like 1

very strange, the military have been calling for peace, its not a controversial statement at all, either theres more to it, like he said something obnoxious to the soldiers, or somebody has mistranslated what the shirt says

When people first went to Victory Monument to demonstrate, the army made anti-foreigner broadcasts over their PA. They asked the crowd 'Are you married to foreigners because you always take their side' (not a direct quote but roughly what I remember reading on Twitter at the time), and said that the foreign press were all paid to be there and that after the trouble started, they would leave and the Thai protesters would be all alone. There have been a couple of other hints of xenophobia (hardly unexpected given the nature of the new regime) so this might be related to that but I think it's more likely that an over-eager junior officer has been trying too hard. Arresting people for buying t-shirts promoting peace doesn't make anyone look good so I think this is probably just a mistake.

Edited by Zooheekock
  • Like 2

Why make political statements in a country where a) you cannot vote, cool.png the locals might not like you getting involved, and c) it makes you look like a total ****?

the guy an idiot,none of his damn business and deserves to be immediately deported

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He could have family here and/or a business, so a vested interest in the future of his life and of his family. In a democracy,what's wrong with a T-shirt? This shows just how undeveloped Thailand is.

We live in a country where the elite will not except the peoples democratic right to vote!

Unless its for them.

A chance of an acceptable education?

Only 7% of children have a private education here.

Where only the elite have freedom of speech.

What else did he expect?

Maybe his connected?

• Like 1