Building a home in Fang region

We are moving from CNX. (I will need a new subscriber name).

My lady's parents come from the area - big +++ (yes & no)

We have been together for 10+ years!

It will be 2 storey - land constraints & I am 65yo.

House will not be small - 300+sqm (2 storey - 150+150sqm)

QUESTIONS:

Distance to fence line - what would you recommend?

Building materials? Likes v Dislikes? Personal experiences?

Lawn - dos & don'ts

We are happy with the builder - our decision - labour only - no firm quote. We have seen some of his former work & recommendations.

Materials - we have elected to purchase the majority independently - quality control & flexibility.

Time estimate - about 5-6 months - allowing for rainy season.

Materials - suppliers in CNX & Fang region

Appliances - suppliers for electrical, furniture etc

OTHER?

OH ... to add one more important this ... will the place be air-conditioned?

In part, or in whole.

If no air-conditioning then breezeways, larger windows, fan placment etc come more into play.

If air-conditioned then wall construction, insulation, roof venting etc become important.

If you have not lived in Thailand before, an air-conditioned bedroom is considered by some as a wise addition.

Not so sure about your time estimation... Assuming Thai concrete/block/tile construction, 2 storey, 300sqm in 5-6 months, with 4-6 weeks of that lost in rain downtime is going to take a very large cast to pull off, and even then would need to be expertly project managed... Unless you're only talking about the time to lock-up sans-finishing?

• Like 1

Thank you, guys

One of my favourite quotes - NOT a slur upon anyone - I just like the quote!

Marcus Aurellius - soldier - 121AD-180AD

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth".

I just HOPE that we enjoy the journey of construction & the thereafter.

Thanks (to date)

David

The house will be air-conditioned - partially. Wall A/C - no ducted stuff! Bedrooms, lounge & living room. Personally, I am not an A/C addict - will use both ceiling fans & A/Cs.

David

The house will be air-conditioned - partially. Wall A/C - no ducted stuff! Bedrooms, lounge & living room. Personally, I am not an A/C addict - will use both ceiling fans & A/Cs.

Mate, got the PM, will reply in course (just have other things to do ATM).

Re the ceiling fans, be mindful that some Thais don't like them, are afraid of them.

My gf got hit on the noggin by one which was poorly installed.

A previous gf (who was well versed in the western ways having travelled the world on a cruize ship) declined my offer to place one in the bedroom as she was dead scared that it would come crashing down during the night and slice her up ... I p*ss you not.

I'm a big fan (no pun intended) of them and it's not just your partners thoughts on them, it's also her Family and Friends.

Thank you, guys

One of my favourite quotes - NOT a slur upon anyone - I just like the quote!

Marcus Aurellius - soldier - 121AD-180AD

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth".

I just HOPE that we enjoy the journey of construction & the thereafter.

Thanks (to date)

Not sure why you decided that was relevant to this thread.. each to their own.

As several others have posted, 300m is way too big.

I have relatives in Fang, so been up there, you are planning on building a palace compared to the locals.

Essentially as David has said, it will have no resale value in that area.

Area often floods, house on stilts is popular for a reason.

Last year

http://www.tatnews.org/fact-sheet-thailand-flood-situation-update-3/

@cnx

Have you tried living in Fang continuously for a month yet?

Just to get a feel for the place. Only so many times you can visit Doi AngKan, not much to do there for a guy used to the hustle and bustle of CM.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

As several others have posted, 300m is way too big.

I have relatives in Fang, so been up there, you are planning on building a palace compared to the locals.

Essentially as David has said, it will have no resale value in that area.

Area often floods, house on stilts is popular for a reason.

Last year

http://www.tatnews.org/fact-sheet-thailand-flood-situation-update-3/

I agree a 300sq/m house is way too big for a Thai village.

Much better to build using better quality materials to a size that is usable(much smaller), and have a few million baht change.

Food for thought.

• Like 1

Just to provide a variety of opinion, our village home is more than 300 sq./m for just the two of us, plus a big dog. All that space is on one floor as well. It is really nice to have the space and views, plus room for visiting friends. If you are a clean freak like my wife, it can be difficult to keep spotless, but somehow she manages.

We did not stick to the 4 meter spans either, using 5 and 6 to open things up more. Considering the OP’s age and health, I think he should build whatever he wants. We went against pretty much every common practice in our village but now we find many people copying things we have done.

There may be resistance at first, but with time they will come around. My wife and I always agreed on color as well.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

David

Mate, got the PM, will reply in course (just have other things to do ATM).

Re the ceiling fans, be mindful that some Thais don't like them, are afraid of them.

My gf got hit on the noggin by one which was poorly installed.

A previous gf (who was well versed in the western ways having travelled the world on a cruize ship) declined my offer to place one in the bedroom as she was dead scared that it would come crashing down during the night and slice her up ... I p*ss you not.

I'm a big fan (no pun intended) of them and it's not just your partners thoughts on them, it's also her Family and Friends.

I have seen the results on one ceiling fan drop on a person. Not pretty. He did get sliced a bit, but it was just a cut - not like

he got diced or anything. A nice bruise where the center piece hit as well. That was in India, though.

Saw a similar one just about to happen (cracks on ceiling, fan leaning out of socket but still connected, ran in angle) - owner

insisted there was no problem. This was in Southern Thailand.

So perhaps fears got to do with low construction standards? Or lack of maintenance?

Wife and family not into ceiling fans, citing same fears - which is why we don't have them and probably won't in the new

house as well. Me, I just think they tend to gather quite a lot of dust and aren't that easy to clean if you have a high ceiling.

AC in bedrooms, home office (if you got one) is good idea.

Thanks guys

I brief update - not the final episode!

FIL, MIL - 200km, 500km. Now, they visit every 2 weeks (150+km) - very close family - my wife is an only child (a blessing) - any more - I would not consider (eg brothers/sisters). We do not visit - my health (cancer). One day - no problem - forever??? FIL?MIL - work all day. My wife assists FIL with bookwork.

Another reason for a larger home - "breathing space" - I like it. Warren Buffett is the only "rich" guy that I can recollect who lives in a modest home - others - super big! (I am not comparing myself with them). I do not do housework - not a drop since my arrival in LOS. I will have the master bedroom upstairs & another for me downstairs (BIG BOSS!) + entertainment room for TV & stereo.

The home will face East - not West - as recommended.

300+sqm - still on the drawing board - at least 250sqm - no more than 350sqm. Neighbours opinion - I have considered that. Not our problem! $$$ - is OK. (I still like value for $$$, quality workmanship & medium materials = big problem?). Selling condo in CNX - we will not be out-of-pocket in Fang. A cessation of monthly body corporate fees - B4+k. General cost of living - not an issue. Resale - I will be dead - wife intends to live there until she dies - not her problem. After that, it is yours!

Living in the "sticks" - I have empathy. In fact, it is a bonus for me. But, cf Pattaya to CNX - CNX is a country town for Pattaya residents. I have lived in CNX for about 12 years - more pollution, traffic jams, shopping centres. CNX is the central office for Immigration but that is a once per year event - quarterly checkups available in Fang. Pattaya - great for a holiday (for me), BKK (no), Phuket (never been). I did live at the Gold Coast in Oz. If I were to return to Oz (no chance), I would live in a country town now - no capital cities, thank you).

A/C - yet to be determined. I will have both ceiling fans & A/C.

SUMMARY:

Things change & you die!

Worse case scenario - cannot cohabitate with FIL/MIL - relocate - walk away. Lose B5-6m - my loving sister in Oz - fleeced me for MUCH more than that!

Back to CNX - a guesthouse - where I began in CNX. Heavy whoring - boring now. I do not drink anymore - AA - boring me (but happy not to drink)?

There is no prefect solution - I read that building costs range from B3000 (labour only) per sqm to B30,000+ (labour + mats).

What do I really "want" - good health, loving family, not worried about $$$, a quality TV, a bicycle or m/c ride (or chauffeured in car), a good night's sleep, a clear conscience, no debt, little or no pollution, minimal traffic jams, no hassle re visa, no constipation - any other suggestions (must haves?)

LG - Life is good!

• Like 2

Just to provide a variety of opinion, our village home is more than 300 sq./m for just the two of us, plus a big dog. All that space is on one floor as well. It is really nice to have the space and views, plus room for visiting friends. If you are a clean freak like my wife, it can be difficult to keep spotless, but somehow she manages.
We did not stick to the 4 meter spans either, using 5 and 6 to open things up more. Considering the OP’s age and health, I think he should build whatever he wants. We went against pretty much every common practice in our village but now we find many people copying things we have done.
There may be resistance at first, but with time they will come around. My wife and I always agreed on color as well.

VF, I and many others have admired your home, it is truely a work of art.

For those who haven't seen it and the various other excellent contributions in the tread, do take the time to look at it in this Forum.

VF's house goes beyond the accepted traditional Thai building style.

But there is a subtle difference.

You are in a rural setting and your block is quite substantive ... indeed you have a fish pond that is 1 rai in size.

The OP's block is 1,000m2

• Like 1

...I will have the master bedroom upstairs & another for me downstairs (BIG BOSS!) + entertainment room for TV & stereo.

Great idea ... well popular anyway.

Quite a few guys go for a personal space. A space that you can truely call your own, BIG TV, a decent stereo.

... a private sanctuary ... thumbsup.gif

To OP cnx37, you seems to know what you want so go for it man. Our situation here in Thailand are different from person to person and your wife's parents clearly loves their daughter (only child) very much and they respect you too so all is good and I can understand why you move next to them.

We have my wife's old mother living with us in the house here in Pattaya, she is 75 years old and is bend almost 90 deg forward due to a long life in the rice paddy fields. The old girl is a very gentle person and loves playing with our wild 4 year old son but can't keep up with him when playing, he-he. I can't talk to her as she can only speak Cambodian (Refugee from the mad man, Pol Pot) but never mind we seems to quite understand each other.

Not much I can recommend on the houses as we bought ours from a village builder and as such have nothing to do with the building process. Don't know if you water supply will be from public supply or not? If yes make sure you have a min 2000 lit tank. Here in Pattaya people that don't have a tank are sometimes in deep shit.

Pattaya? Well I hardly go out partying anymore but we have good schools here and whatever one might need for shopping and so on. I will not rule out that we move to a quieter location when our son ends up at university (hopefully) but that is many many years out in the future.

Finally: I hope you will have many happy years in your new house together with your wife.

• Like 1

...I will have the master bedroom upstairs & another for me downstairs (BIG BOSS!) + entertainment room for TV & stereo.

Great idea ... well popular anyway.

Quite a few guys go for a personal space. A space that you can truely call your own, BIG TV, a decent stereo.

... a private sanctuary ... thumbsup.gif

Indeed - I'm currently building a 180sqm man-cave, located 40M away from the main house ;)

• Like 1