Bangkok: Lane-change cameras to help tackle traffic offenders

webfact

TRAFFIC
Lane-change cameras to help tackle traffic offenders

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Abrupt overtaking and changing of lanes will be under special surveillance in a new campaign to tackle repeat offenders, a senior Bangkok traffic cop said yesterday.

Fifteen lane-change cameras will soon be installed at problem intersections to work alongside the existing 90 red-light cameras at 30 major intersections, Maj-General Adul Narongsawas said.

There will be lane-change cameras installed at 60 other locations across the capital at a later stage, he said.

A budget will also be sought to acquire a number of no-parking cameras, in addition to units already installed at 15 locations, he said.

Adul said he hoped that lane-change cameras would reduce abrupt overtaking and disruptive lane changes.

He said all projects, aimed at curbing traffic violations, were in line with the "Traffic Police Eye" citizen campaign where photos of traffic violations are taken by people and sent to a command centre.

Armed with evidence, the photos are attached to tickets that are mailed to violators.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-30

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sure, install all the traffic management's technology you can find, and after who ever supplied those

equipment and service got their cut from this lucrative deal, they simply will, soon at one point,

stop working, because a lowly police booth person switched them off, just like the fake cctv cameras and those digital time counters..... what we need is better trained police personal, not better equipment...

Plus serious clever education campaigns so the populace understand why the lanes are there and how they ultimately help to control the traffic flow and also avoid accidents.

Not too long back my adult Thai son was in a conversation with his aunt, who is a danger to herself and everybody on the road. She believes that there should be close to zero traffic rules, because it's not nice to tell people how to drive.

Example, she believes that the law should be 'you only have to check if there is traffic approaching once a day, when you pulling out from the kerb to enter the traffic flow'.

In fact she never checks if any vehicles are approaching, she just pulls out into the traffic flow and she's caused a number of accidents. And attempt to get her to understand what she's doing is a total waste of time. Nobody from the extended family ever travel with her because they afraid to be in her car. This factor has also been mentioned to her many times, her response 'up to you'.

Son asked her why there are pedestrian crossing and lanes painted on the roads. Her response 'because it makes it look professional'.

Son continued, but there is a purpose,,,,,,, what's the purpose. Her response, there is no purpose, they just waste money and paint lines on the road because it looks professional, like in the movies.

My guess is that are plenty of folks on the road with similar, or perhaps not quite as extreme understanding of the road rules.

Thai advertising companies are quite creative, they could easily come up with 10 / 20 seconds spots that would have some impact on educating drivers.

Another illogical and painfully dangerous norm here in Isaan is making a right hand turn from the right hand (wrong) lane. People here don't seem to know which lane is for what. It's like they are driving "off road." I just don't get it.

ezzra states we need a better trained and honest police farce forcefacepalm.gif indeed correct.clap2.gif

However a properly defined learner driver course and educated drivers in all vehicles with a strong emphasis concerning both the operators and drivers of P.S.V. along with H.G.V.vehicles might well go a long way to actually improving the standard of the way that the average Thai aims his or her vehicle.

Interesting to note that in the majority of cases of foreign managed logistic operators both vehicle drivers and maintenance is much higher than the home grown bred of the same beast. A lot to be said for driver and mate and engineers education and ongoing training schemes operated by foreign managed entities and also a few Thai owned entities too..

Reckon to date I have been lucky. 10 Years of motorcycle (Kawasaki 400C.C.) riding and 13 years of car and pick up driving plus the family toy (150cc Honda Click) and no serious mishaps.

Lot to be said for those old ''blues and two's'' courses.

siampolee Im sure happy you listed your vehicles for all to read and admire.

• Like 2

lol this will never work here, the cameras would be flashing like an epileptics worst nightmare.

Partygoers will think its a 24 hour rave concert put on by the BMA to try and stimulate the tourism industry

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

ezzra states we need a better trained and honest police farce forcefacepalm.gif indeed correct.clap2.gif

However a properly defined learner driver course and educated drivers in all vehicles with a strong emphasis concerning both the operators and drivers of P.S.V. along with H.G.V.vehicles might well go a long way to actually improving the standard of the way that the average Thai aims his or her vehicle.

Interesting to note that in the majority of cases of foreign managed logistic operators both vehicle drivers and maintenance is much higher than the home grown bred of the same beast. A lot to be said for driver and mate and engineers education and ongoing training schemes operated by foreign managed entities and also a few Thai owned entities too..

Reckon to date I have been lucky. 10 Years of motorcycle (Kawasaki 400C.C.) riding and 13 years of car and pick up driving plus the family toy (150cc Honda Click) and no serious mishaps.

siampolee Im sure happy you listed your vehicles for all to read and admire.

I'm surprised you bothered to comment.

He merely mentioned what vehicles he'd driven and reported he'd been lucky to have avoided accidents. Now, had he mentioned his wife's Lamborghini Countach and his son's Ferrari GT365B and the fact that he has a pink Bentley, I too might have commented, but a Kawasaki 400 and a Honda Click..........................rolleyes.gif

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

"plus the family toy (150cc Honda Click)" man, you got to post a picture of that!

The core problem is there is about 50% more cars on the roads of Bangkok than there should be. Then you add the other problems......

• Like 1

Why always hi-tech solutions to basic issues...why don't they just get the police to do their jobs properly....a very difficult request I know, but if the coppers did their jobs properly in the first place, people might start obeying the rules..

• Like 2

The criteria for passing Thai driving test is about to be raised. Effective June 4th, so some positive news.

As the worst offenders are buses and taxis, an 'other vehicle awareness course' would be much cheaper.

Thailand is becoming more like the West every day.

Some improvement is not that bad as traffic is bad here and a lot of bad driving. Not only buses and taxi's are to blame don't forget minivans. Also some of the pickups and normal cars drive like crap.

I love that they are getting red light camera's, this is one of my pet peeves how often red lights are jumped and how dangerous it is.

The criteria for passing Thai driving test is about to be raised. Effective June 4th, so some positive news.

A lot of people out there without a licence unfortunately so raised criteria won't do much to solve that issue. The police need to get them and the rust buckets and smoke blowers off the road and enforce the law then they might have a shot at it

"plus the family toy (150cc Honda Click)" man, you got to post a picture of that!

The core problem is there is about 50% more cars on the roads of Bangkok than there should be. Then you add the other problems......

With all those toys the guy needs one of these beauties:

640082d1324095488-poor-mans-toyhauler-bu

Poor Man's Toy Hauler

Another expensive boondoggle to go unmonitored, unmaintained. Surely there are higher priorities than illegal lane-changers. "Hey, boss. I have a great idea how we can earn some great kick-back money and look like we're doing good at the same time".

What an excellent way to finally control the “road hogs”. Again why this system could not be implemented in the past is beyond me! The military is certainly changing quite a lot of things for the better.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sure, install all the traffic management's technology you can find, and after who ever supplied those

equipment and service got their cut from this lucrative deal, they simply will, soon at one point,

stop working, because a lowly police booth person switched them off, just like the fake cctv cameras and those digital time counters..... what we need is better trained police personal, not better equipment...

Plus serious clever education campaigns so the populace understand why the lanes are there and how they ultimately help to control the traffic flow and also avoid accidents.

Not too long back my adult Thai son was in a conversation with his aunt, who is a danger to herself and everybody on the road. She believes that there should be close to zero traffic rules, because it's not nice to tell people how to drive.

Example, she believes that the law should be 'you only have to check if there is traffic approaching once a day, when you pulling out from the kerb to enter the traffic flow'.

In fact she never checks if any vehicles are approaching, she just pulls out into the traffic flow and she's caused a number of accidents. And attempt to get her to understand what she's doing is a total waste of time. Nobody from the extended family ever travel with her because they afraid to be in her car. This factor has also been mentioned to her many times, her response 'up to you'.

Son asked her why there are pedestrian crossing and lanes painted on the roads. Her response 'because it makes it look professional'.

Son continued, but there is a purpose,,,,,,, what's the purpose. Her response, there is no purpose, they just waste money and paint lines on the road because it looks professional, like in the movies.

My guess is that are plenty of folks on the road with similar, or perhaps not quite as extreme understanding of the road rules.

Thai advertising companies are quite creative, they could easily come up with 10 / 20 seconds spots that would have some impact on educating drivers.

Another illogical and painfully dangerous norm here in Isaan is making a right hand turn from the right hand (wrong) lane. People here don't seem to know which lane is for what. It's like they are driving "off road." I just don't get it.

I just don't get it.

555 Neither do they. w00t.gif

I was waiting for the civil liberties group to drop by and tell us this was an evasion of their privacy.

You can't win here, EVERYTIME the Thais take a step to implement something, all the bashers come crawling out of their holes to condemn them. If they do nothing, they still crawl out of their holes and moan. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I didn't realise this forum had so many road safety eggspurtz.

What the hell is a lane change camera?

I think I can identify the problem,

there are certain junctions where there is one lane dedicated to traffic turning left while the other two/three lanes are for straight on. Lots of drivers want to go straight on but the line of stationary traffic is getting longer and longer, so they slide into the empty left turn lane, drive a few hundred metres past all the waiting traffic, then barge back in at the point where the two lanes diverge. By pushing in like this, minivan drivers can save twenty minutes on one journey so they are masters at it. They need to do something as this practice really slows the traffic flow and these cameras will identify the perpetrators.

• Like 1

What the hell is a lane change camera?

I think I can identify the problem,

there are certain junctions where there is one lane dedicated to traffic turning left while the other two/three lanes are for straight on. Lots of drivers want to go straight on but the line of stationary traffic is getting longer and longer, so they slide into the empty left turn lane, drive a few hundred metres past all the waiting traffic, then barge back in at the point where the two lanes diverge. By pushing in like this, minivan drivers can save twenty minutes on one journey so they are masters at it. They need to do something as this practice really slows the traffic flow and these cameras will identify the perpetrators.

This one drives me insane. What is even more annoying is that people who actually want to turn left often just sit there while the one car has deliberately gone there with no intention of turning left to save a few minutes, i would be going bananas! In fact i do when i see it happen even if it is not directly affecting me.

The Rama 9/Ramkamhenug IB junction is a bitch for it as the green lights are so short.