Thai ambassador to UK ordered home

Lite Beer

Top professional political advisors?

The most successful.politician in Thailand is in Dubai. Where does one get a top adviser to discuss purging people from govt under a military coup?

Afghanistan?

The most successful politician in Thailand is in Dubai?

You mean the one who wrecked the kingdom's reputation as the biggest and best rice producer in the world for nearly half century and through his own self serving incompetence caused his hopeless government to bring Thailand perilously close to becoming a failed state only for it to be rescued by another military coup.

There was a time when Mussolini was considered by his supporters to be the most successful politician in Italy too but that didn't last either.

Accept it. He would still win tomorrow.

That's the reality. I don't bother to get dragged into the semantics, the reality and what the consequences might be are the important issue.

Mussolini was appointed by the way.

So was Thaksin. each time:1. PDP, 2. under Chavalit, 3. TRT - all appointed positions - which seat did he hold?

He was elected prime minister

Is that so hard to understand. One is normally either appointer or elected. Mussolini was appointed , Thaksin was elected. Strewth.

This shouldn't be this hard.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hahaha.

This is becoming a complete and utter circus. How many heads are they going to cut, until there is a backlash?

It is unbelievable and blatant.

...or overt and transparent?

That's the reality. I don't bother to get dragged into the semantics, the reality and what the consequences might be are the important issue.

So was Thaksin. each time:1. PDP, 2. under Chavalit, 3. TRT - all appointed positions - which seat did he hold?

Is that so hard to understand. One is normally either appointer or elected. Mussolini was appointed , Thaksin was elected. Strewth.

Elected by other MPs - not by the people - so how does that make him the most successful politician when he has never won a single seat - and the only one he stood for, he lost??? Is THAT so hard to understand? Being "Invited" into a job by other MPs is only semantically an "election" - in fact PDP he was appointed (invited - no election) and same again un Chavalit - as PM in TRT coalition (his own party TRT - but he never stood for a seat), which won by a land slide (TRT only 2 votes short of control - land slide with coalition partners), he is "elected" by them same set of MPs that did have the bottle to stand for a seat - so, given the number of seats they had collectively, how is that different from an appointment?

Thai envoy in UK linked to Thaksin ordered to return home
The Nation

30235101-01_big.jpg

Pasan

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Ministry has ordered Thai Ambassador to London Pasan Teparak to return to Bangkok and report to the ministry as soon as possible for the sake of propriety, ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said yesterday.

The move had nothing to do with relations between Thailand and United Kingdom, the spokesman said. Earlier reports claimed the National Council for Peace and Order ordered the ministry to call the envoy back.

"It is the decision of the Foreign Ministry to recall Ambassador Pasan because of propriety," Sek said.

He declined to further comment on whether the order was the result of the envoy's close ties with fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and former prime minister Yingluck Shina-watra, who is Thaksin's sister.

There have been reports that Pasan, a former consul general at the Thai Consulate General in Dubai from 2006 to 2011, was close to Thaksin. The former PM was ousted in the 2006 coup and lived in self-exile in Dubai to avoid jail in Thailand after being convicted in October 2008 for abuse of power.

Pasan was formerly a member of the secretariat on foreign affairs when Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's sister, was premier, before being appointed as ambassador to London in October 2012.

Meanwhile, an informed source said it was likely that Pasan would still hold the position of ambassador but be assigned to an inactive post at the ministry in Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-31

There a lot of Hahaha , LOLs and cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

in response to this serious situation in Thailand.

So I wonder are most exp-pats in Thailand idiots or only the ones contributing to these threads?

Explain your thoughts regarding posts........thumbsup.gif

There are many proverbs regarding those who argue with fools, , a simple Google search on the subject will bring back many returns.

Any explanation ,or thoughts on my part regarding said posts, I am afraid will make me party to such proverbs.

Ah you mean, "Better to be thought of as a fool, than to open one's mouth and prove it" - got it

That is one that can easily apply to all of as

There a lot of Hahaha , LOLs and cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

in response to this serious situation in Thailand.

So I wonder are most exp-pats in Thailand idiots or only the ones contributing to these threads?

So I wonder are most exp-pats in Thailand idiots

So your not an expad? But I take it you´r an idiot,sir!

I suggest you heed Wolf5370's advise on post 151

Funny that he was promoted by Thaksin's unphotogenic cousin from being lowly consul-general is a small country to be ambassador to London, one of the most important positions in the Foreign Ministry.

Yes definitely the London position must be one of the most important posts in the Thai diplomatic service but as we saw so many times in the Thaksin / PTP world qualifications, experience and general suitable were not prerequisites for appointment to any job.

A bit like the qualifications that soldiers sailors & airmen have for running a country?

And yet the soldiers, sailors and airmen already seem to be doing a better job than the businessmen, policemen and Shin clansmen who ran the country before.

Let's remember people free to say what they liked about PT. Of course, not compared to the standards of developed democracies. Reporting honestly on them wasn't completely without risks - particularly if you go back to the TRT period in which Thaksin bullied the press in much the same way that Thai autocrats and military leaders have always done - but nevertheless the BKK press was largely against them and they spent considerable time investigating and publicizing, and loudly railing against, their misdeeds.

Will these "soldiers, sailors and airmen" be subject to the same scrutiny, given what we've seen so far? Has the military ever been subjected the same scrutiny that elected politicians have been subject to ever in Thai history? Do you recall the very recent case involving the Navy, for instance? Point I'm making is it's all very well saying x is doing a better job than y, but it's perhaps best to remember you may have had far more information about what y was doing than about what x is doing. Richard Barrow tweeted recently that when reading stories about Thailand now, it's important to understand that journalists may be exercising self-censorship and that not everything is being reported... sound advice.

• Like 2

Ignoring politics for a minute... the guy Yingluck got removed for appointing as Pol Chief was the most senior cop in 2009, and politics aside, would've been appointed to the top job then instead of having to wait until 2011. But that's if we subtract politics from all this...

I think this happened before when a relative was promoted because they were next in line but it was pointed out that Thaksin had fast tracked them to that position in the first place. I don't know if that's the case here though.

Yeah, that was Chaiyasit when he became army commander-in-chief . Not the case with Priewpan though, I think it was widely agreed he was most senior and next in line for the job in 09, had it not been for political interference (welcome to correction if I'm wrong).

This happens the world over though. How often is the most senior cop given the top spot in the London Met? Hardly ever. At that level, it is a political job and the hirer is the current government - there is always going to be "political interference" just as there is "business interference" when promoting a senior executive. Face has to fit - an employer has the right to chose who to hire and promote - and people get promoted over other longer standing people all the time, everywhere. What YL did was against the rules and she knew it - no excuse. She could have done it properly, but then their man might not have got the job (again).

That's true. Point I was making is exactly as you say, that politicians tend to select people associated with their party or close to them in some other way, for supposedly "apolitical" roles. In Yingluck's case, the guy just happened to be the brother of her brother's ex-wife. If it'd be someone equally close to the party, but not related by family Thais, what she did would've been perfectly normal. However, even if we're in agreement that nepotism is wrong, surely removing the PM and those of the cabinet that were ministers when the decision was made seems a bit OTT? The rest of the world certainly thinks it absurd. But that's another story now, I was actually just trying to make the same point as you, all govts install their own people in key roles, and the new govt will be absolutely no different in that respect.

Hahaha.

This is becoming a complete and utter circus. How many heads are they going to cut, until there is a backlash?

He was recalled. I prefer to wait and see what actually happens to the man.
  • Like 1

Funny that he was promoted by Thaksin's unphotogenic cousin from being lowly consul-general is a small country to be ambassador to London, one of the most important positions in the Foreign Ministry.

Ambassador in London is hardly one of the most important positions....

Its the hub of shopping, well judging by the amount of Asian faces I spotted yesterday in Harrods.

34% of the population in London is Asian ! well spotted .......

This happens the world over though. How often is the most senior cop given the top spot in the London Met? Hardly ever. At that level, it is a political job and the hirer is the current government - there is always going to be "political interference" just as there is "business interference" when promoting a senior executive. Face has to fit - an employer has the right to chose who to hire and promote - and people get promoted over other longer standing people all the time, everywhere. What YL did was against the rules and she knew it - no excuse. She could have done it properly, but then their man might not have got the job (again).

That's true. Point I was making is exactly as you say, that politicians tend to select people associated with their party or close to them in some other way, for supposedly "apolitical" roles. In Yingluck's case, the guy just happened to be the brother of her brother's ex-wife. If it'd be someone equally close to the party, but not related by family Thais, what she did would've been perfectly normal. However, even if we're in agreement that nepotism is wrong, surely removing the PM and those of the cabinet that were ministers when the decision was made seems a bit OTT? The rest of the world certainly thinks it absurd. But that's another story now, I was actually just trying to make the same point as you, all govts install their own people in key roles, and the new govt will be absolutely no different in that respect.

Yes I did think it was OTT - it was an excuse to remove them, whether it was justified (assuming the ends justifies the means) remains to be seen as yet. I guess if that had failed, then the rice scheme investigations would have been the next attempt - and so on - it was going to happen, one way or another (rightly or wrongly - depends on personal affiliation if any). Just as investigations for corruption brought down Leekpai's administration, and (albeit arse-about-face wrt TRT - i.e. after the coup) TRT and PPP. Wonder if it would have made any difference to the coup occurring???

I think this happened before when a relative was promoted because they were next in line but it was pointed out that Thaksin had fast tracked them to that position in the first place. I don't know if that's the case here though.

Yeah, that was Chaiyasit when he became army commander-in-chief . Not the case with Priewpan though, I think it was widely agreed he was most senior and next in line for the job in 09, had it not been for political interference (welcome to correction if I'm wrong).

Dress it up as much as you like but nepotism will always be nepotism.

nep·o·tism noun \ˈne-pə-ˌti-zəm\

: the unfair practice by a powerful person of giving jobs and other favors to relatives

Dress it up as much as you like but nepotism will always be nepotism.

nep·o·tism noun \ˈne-pə-ˌti-zəm\

: the unfair practice by a powerful person of giving jobs and other favors to relatives

Umm, I used the word nepotism didn't I? And said that naturally I agreed it was wrong, but also questioned whether the punishment was proportional to the crime. And Wolf agrees with me that it wasn't.

No direct flights except for; British Airways, Thai Airways, Quantas, Eva air.. then of course there are non direct flights that don't go UAE, Jet Airways, Air India, KLM, SAS, Finnair, Norwegian, Aeroflot, Vietnam Airlines, Sri Lankan Airlines, China Airlines -- and these are just the ones I've flown with; There's also Egyptair, Turkish Airlines, Austrian Ailines, Royal Jordan, El Al, ... I'm getting bored now..

As my post sums it up--incidentally I have not looked it up, any USA airlines stopping at LHR then fly on to BKK ???

Doubt it - that would mean going the long way around.

Dropping off US tourists in London, picking up from London tourists for round world trips via BKK and on to USA- LA- NY. So the long way round would be crazy if meant the same passengers NY-BKK. This is why my tour route would be feasible --doing a circuit.

Let me give you a little background on how Thaksin's brother-in-law became so senior, so fast. "Priewpan was a low-key police officer until his brother-in-law Thaksin came to power in 2001. Just before the Thaksin government declared a "war on drugs", the then prime minister handpicked his brother-in-law to head the Narcotics Suppression Bureau. In the police corridors, that meant that Priewpan was being groomed for the position of national police chief, as part of Thaksin's alleged plan to consolidate power through domination of the police service. And although Priewpan brought some sort of embarrassment to the government with his botched operation to arrest a northern drug kingpin, who subsequently won an acquittal, he received Thaksin's blessing to bypass all senior police commissioners to get to the position of assistant national police chief. That particular promotion came at the expense of such crime-busters as Police General Seripisut Temiyavej, whose career was sidelined to pave the way for Priewpan's rise, and Police General Wongkot Maneerin, a police cadet classmate of Thaksin."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Priewpan-s-tears-take-nepotism-to-new-levels-30109521.html

Thanks for that. The article does mention his 'unrivalled seniority', but clearly he got there via Thaksin's patronage. That said, I wonder how many people in senior positions in the military and police haven't relied on the same? A high proportion one would think. Thai politics is really all about networks of one sort of another, rather than look at institutions, it's best to look at networks which transverse various institutions. Thaksin's network is one of them, and was the most powerful until last week I suppose, but there are others. Taking that into account, it's hard to know who's best qualified objectively because I imagine those who spent time working instead of cultivating connections generally don't often make it to the top...

I also think - this is nothing to do with Priewpan specifically - that it's likely there are some Thaksin loyalists who are professionals and good at their jobs. Just as there are professionals who are good at their jobs who have aligned with other networks. And these people will still be sidelined, just the same as the ones that weren't good at their jobs. That's just the way it works, I guess.

Yes I did think it was OTT - it was an excuse to remove them, whether it was justified (assuming the ends justifies the means) remains to be seen as yet. I guess if that had failed, then the rice scheme investigations would have been the next attempt - and so on - it was going to happen, one way or another (rightly or wrongly - depends on personal affiliation if any). Just as investigations for corruption brought down Leekpai's administration, and (albeit arse-about-face wrt TRT - i.e. after the coup) TRT and PPP. Wonder if it would have made any difference to the coup occurring???

Agree it was just a pretext. I don't think the rice scheme investigations would have made any difference really, except as further justification for an appointed government, but I always thought the only way they could achieve that was via a coup and that's obviously what they decided too. Actually I don't think the junta has even used corruption as a justification for the coup. Corruption is usually given as the most prominent reason for the coup (along with protecting democracy etc), so it's actually quite a surprise that more hasn't been said about it by the junta. Certainly a break from the past, but per McCargo's article in the NYT, this coup isn't following the usual script in many respects.

Elected by other MPs - not by the people - so how does that make him the most successful politician when he has never won a single seat - and the only one he stood for, he lost??? Is THAT so hard to understand? Being "Invited" into a job by other MPs is only semantically an "election" - in fact PDP he was appointed (invited - no election) and same again un Chavalit - as PM in TRT coalition (his own party TRT - but he never stood for a seat), which won by a land slide (TRT only 2 votes short of control - land slide with coalition partners), he is "elected" by them same set of MPs that did have the bottle to stand for a seat - so, given the number of seats they had collectively, how is that different from an appointment?

Do you understand anything of how the Thai system works?

Has the current PM in Thailand been elected? Mussolini was appointed with no parliamentary vote.

This is a multi layer constitutional monarchy, not a presidential system. Is the current pm of the UK elected or apppointed?

Strewth.

Thank god Thailand doesnt have a presidential system. Short of that, how much more democratically electee would you have liked any PM to be put in position in Thailand. I am all for revisionism, but let's not now pretend that Thaksin wasn't democratically elected.

We've been over this 1000 times. Even Abhisit was democratically appointed by pretty sneaky means.

Abhisit never managed to get in during a general election though. That is a massive difference. So anyone think thasins party with him as leader wouldn't win an election tomorrow?

• Like 1

''One of the most important positions in the Foreign Ministry''..??

Have you actually SEEN the Thai Embassy in London..??

My garden shed is bigger!

Wow - your garden shed is several stories?

Have you actually been inside the embassy and not just the small consular section?

I have and your garden shed must be something to behold if it's bigger.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hahaha.

Was the Thai ambassador to the USA recalled does anyone know?

Is it relevant? Please share.

Post 182.

You are absolutely right about the constitutional issue.

In the UK around 4 or 5 Prime Ministers have taken office, even though they were not even leaders of the party at the time of the election.

They 'emerged' during the parliamentary period.

The most recent examples are John Major and Gordon Brown.

Do you understand anything of how the Thai system works?

Has the current PM in Thailand been elected? Mussolini was appointed with no parliamentary vote.

This is a multi layer constitutional monarchy, not a presidential system. Is the current pm of the UK elected or apppointed?

Strewth.

Thank god Thailand doesnt have a presidential system. Short of that, how much more democratically electee would you have liked any PM to be put in position in Thailand. I am all for revisionism, but let's not now pretend that Thaksin wasn't democratically elected.

We've been over this 1000 times. Even Abhisit was democratically appointed by pretty sneaky means.

Abhisit never managed to get in during a general election though. That is a massive difference. So anyone think thasins party with him as leader wouldn't win an election tomorrow?

I cannot help but notice that you have an unhealthy obsession with elections and how certain politicians reach their positions of power.

Does the performance and conduct of a Government after they are put into power mean nothing to you ?

Do you think all the dirty deeds on the Shinawatras' rap sheet has been made up ? I can assure you the rice farmers did not invent the story of being ripped off, and when you are struggling to feed your family the last thing you are going to think about is how the PTP were democratically elected.

Running down the Democrats is not going to clean up the Shin regime's image. And any party that employs the services of gangs of thugs like the ThaiRouge really is suspect.

Surely you must admit to their wrongdoings, or are you really that blind ? whistling.gif

• Like 2

Ignoring politics for a minute... the guy Yingluck got removed for appointing as Pol Chief was the most senior cop in 2009, and politics aside, would've been appointed to the top job then instead of having to wait until 2011. But that's if we subtract politics from all this...

Let me give you a little background on how Thaksin's brother-in-law became so senior, so fast. "Priewpan was a low-key police officer until his brother-in-law Thaksin came to power in 2001. Just before the Thaksin government declared a "war on drugs", the then prime minister handpicked his brother-in-law to head the Narcotics Suppression Bureau. In the police corridors, that meant that Priewpan was being groomed for the position of national police chief, as part of Thaksin's alleged plan to consolidate power through domination of the police service. And although Priewpan brought some sort of embarrassment to the government with his botched operation to arrest a northern drug kingpin, who subsequently won an acquittal, he received Thaksin's blessing to bypass all senior police commissioners to get to the position of assistant national police chief. That particular promotion came at the expense of such crime-busters as Police General Seripisut Temiyavej, whose career was sidelined to pave the way for Priewpan's rise, and Police General Wongkot Maneerin, a police cadet classmate of Thaksin."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Priewpan-s-tears-take-nepotism-to-new-levels-30109521.html

Thank you for the truth regarding the nepotism and leap-frogging over other policemen that Thaksin's brother-in-law Priewpan was a beneficiary of.

:wai:

Edited by Luger2