Wife seeks jail term rather than stay with husband of 32 years

Lite Beer

Wife seeks jail term rather than stay with husband of 32 years

SONGKHLA: A woman turned herself in with an illegal gun at a police station, saying she would rather be behind bars than spend another day with the husband she has lived with for 32 years.

She got her wish, at least in the initial stage. Police charged her with owning an illegal gun and carrying it without permission. She was detained without bail. The court will make the final ruling.

Jamnien Thongjib, 54, a resident of tambon Khuha Tai of Rattaphum district, rode her motorcycle to Rattaphum police station, went directly to a police officer and put her gun, loaded with a single shotgun cartridge, on the desk.

Pol Lt Col UsmanYeetawhee, inspector (investigation), said he was totally suprised by her action.

She told the police to arrest her because she was fed up staying with her husband bcause he was emotionally unstable. She would rather be in prison.

The couple have three children and eight grandchildren and have been together for 32 years, she said.

Ms Jamnien said they sometimes argued but still lived together. However, she had lost all patience. As her husband got older his behaviour had changed. Sometimes he would be a nice sweet man, but other times she had to flee the house for her own safety.

There were also other domestic issues that were too much for her to bear.

Therefore, Ms Jamnien decided to bring a gun she bought five years ago to the police station.

She said she had thought of killing herself to end the problem, but she loved her children and grandchildren. So going to jail was an alternative, because she would still be able to see her loved ones.

Pol Lt Col Somkiat Ostaphun, deputy superintendent of Rattaphum police station, said he sympathised with her, but police still have to charge her. She could face up to one year in the prison, but that would depend on the court, he said.

After being informed about the charge, Ms Jamnien was happy and thank you the police for arresting her.

xtpn.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Lg3VYIKKG9.webp
-- Phuket News 2014-05-31

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"She told the police to arrest her because she was fed up staying with her husband because he was emotionally unstable."

Wow!!! If every married woman and man did the same due to an unstable partner, the prisons would be full and the streets empty. I suppose that might be the solution to all the demonstrations these days. giggle.gif giggle.gif giggle.gif

What a dreadful story. I hope she/they get the help they need. My missus says she often feels similar especially when I 'performance fart' in front of her pals or in the garden where the neighbours can see.

That's an 'F' in the Performing Arts.

She should appreciate your effort in putting the "art into fart." Are you in this guys league?

• Like 1

It would have been better for her if she would have planted the gun on

her husband,then phone the police to come and take him away,it was

most likely his gun anyway.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

It would have been better for her if she would have planted the gun on

her husband,then phone the police to come and take him away,it was

most likely his gun anyway.

regards Worgeordie

I get the idea but I guess planting a shotgun on someone without them noticing is slightly more than tricky. ;)

• Like 1

I saw this lady on the Thai TV news.

All very sad, as people can tire of their long standing mundane lives, fall into deep despair, see no hope and just want to escape from it.

Life can be a bitch for some people, and I wonder does anyone really find true fulfilments and contentment? I do know this; that life is not often like a romantic novel or the perfect lifestyles how the big companies like to depict the characters in their ads when trying to sell their products.

Whatever, we are all firmly fixed into our situations and there is never any easy solutions in breaking the modes of how we are fated to be and where we end up and who with, except for winning the lottery or maybe inheriting a fortune, but even having lots of money does not guarantee true happiness, although I would rather be miserable with money than without it.

• Like 2

For evolution deniers LOS is an excellent case study.While Darwinianism is largely accepted it does not discount the possibility that inappropriate adaption to new conditions may lead to extinction.In tribal groups evolution of new pecking order is always interesting to observe.In the long run dinosaurs become extinct.

Good question Morch: why doesn't she just leave her husband?

Maybe the husband threatened to kill the children and grandchildren if she leaves? Hmm.... anyone with answers?smile.png

What's to stop him when doing this if she goes to prison?

Anyway, been married 32 years, guess kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

Possible lakorn overdose?

• Like 1

I hope they get her the needed medical help to adjust the medications it seems she either is on or should be. I hope things work out for her and her husband.

Her actions show Thai logic at its best,the husband is probably suffering the first stages of Alzheimers or needs psychiatric treatment. Didn't think of asking a doctors opinion first before applying for a prison sentence

• Like 1