Focus on state enterprise boards

Lite Beer

Focus on state enterprise boards
Erich Parpart,
Somluck Srimalee
The Sunday Nation

30235150-01_big.jpg

Workers from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration clean up the Government House compound yesterday. Government House was reopened on Thursday, more than five months after it was forced to close in early December due to the presence of a large number of protesters

BANGKOK: -- Appointing new board members and reviving delayed projects on agenda

Two urgent plans for management of the country's 56 state enterprises - the setting up of the new management team and reviving state enterprise investments and projects delayed this year - will be proposed to the junta leaders on Tuesday.

The state enterprises will present their plans to Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong, the junta's chief of economic affairs, tomorrow. He will then forward the plans to the National Council for Peace and Order for consideration on Tuesday.

ACM Prajin said the first priority was the appointment board members to all state enterprises that did not have board members.

Prajin said the new members would be considered based on the time they could spend in the office, as he believed board members of state enterprises should have considerable time to devote solely to the management of the country's utilities.

He added that replacement of board members would be handled within the rules and regulations of each enterprise.

As for projects and investments delayed since the dissolution of Parliament in December, Prajin said most of the projects within the budget would be considered by the NCPO and the most urgent project would be considered first in order to avoid further delays.

This year, state enterprises have a total investment plan of Bt346.89 billion, but they have spent only Bt71.75 billion, or 20 per cent of the plan, in the first four months of the year.

Prajin said the NCPO aimed to modernise state enterprise operations and achieve energy stability and transparency.

"State enterprise operations must be efficient and should operate with the benefit of the country in mind since its functions can influence the stability of the nation's economy and the well-being of its citizens," he said.

Apart from the urgent issues, Prajin said he had instructed state enterprises to come up with short-term and long-term plans to be presented to the NCPO by tomorrow so the body can include the plans in its utilities roadmap.

"The state enterprises roadmap should be within the law and be in line with the NCPO's economic roadmap," he said.

He said the Security Council would consider the plans before they were presented to Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha for approval.

Prapat Jongsanguan, governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), met with the NCPO yesterday and proposed an urgent plan to revise the construction design of the red-line rail system at Bangsue station to support both the regular rail system and the high-speed train system.

The SRT board had already approved the plan and was waiting Cabinet approval, Prapat said.

SRT chairman Boonsom Lerthiranwong proposed that the NCPO maintain the proposed investment of Bt300 billion in 14 double-track railways.

Boonsom said five of the projects - worth Bt118 billion in total - had already been approved by the former Cabinet but were awaiting environmental impact assessment.

Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand chairman Anchalee Chavanich said that Egat had proposed investment in the power project at Mae Mor 1-4 and the high-voltage 500 KV project that would serve the South and West of the country.

Anchalee said the projects, costing Bt100 billion in total, had been approved by the former Cabinet but could not go ahead because of the political turmoil.

PTT chief executive Pailin Chuchottaworn said the company's business plan supported the NCPO's policy, especially alternative energy projects.

Securities and Exchange Commission secretary-general Vorapol Socatiyanurak said that the SEC had suggested that state enterprises raise capital from the capital market through issuance of infrastructure fund, a real-estate investment trust fund, and debentures. This would reduce the public debt.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-01

It's a certainty that many of these Thai military brass have MBAs and corporate and public operations P&L experience and will make the right informed business decisions and not be influenced by agenda or people.

I'm curious is any board members will have the nerve to attempt to enrich themselves, at public expense, while the army has oversight. I wonder how qualified the army is to provide proper oversight. I would bet some of those board members are wondering the same thing. Old, corrupt habits are hard to break. Taking over the legislative, executive, and some judicial functions of an entire country is an incredibly huge task. I only hope the army can cope. Just the martial law aspect alone is huge. Good luck NCPO. Good luck Thailand. You're all going to need it.

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

A piranha feeding frenzy ..... "he believed board members of state enterprises should have considerable time to devote solely to the management of the country's utilities" --In translation "How do we rape the system best?" .... and "state enterprises have a total investment plan of Bt346.89 billion, but they have spent only Bt71.75 billion, or 20 per cent of the plan" --In translation, "Where is my legal tea money?!" and "the SEC had suggested that state enterprises raise capital from the capital market through issuance of infrastructure fund, a real-estate investment trust fund, and debentures" --In translation, "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss (with a nicer shirt color). Yay!!!"

Amazing Thailand.

I'm curious is any board members will have the nerve to attempt to enrich themselves, at public expense, while the army has oversight. I wonder how qualified the army is to provide proper oversight. I would bet some of those board members are wondering the same thing. Old, corrupt habits are hard to break. Taking over the legislative, executive, and some judicial functions of an entire country is an incredibly huge task. I only hope the army can cope. Just the martial law aspect alone is huge. Good luck NCPO. Good luck Thailand. You're all going to need it.

Perhaps you might like to examine just who is on those boards before you make any more "observations".

• Like 1

It's a certainty that many of these Thai military brass have MBAs and corporate and public operations P&L experience and will make the right informed business decisions and not be influenced by agenda or people.

I think you'll also find that the Junta will be seeking and receiving advice from academics and others who were previously frozen out by the corruption maestros..the shinawatras.

The 71.75m spent to date will largely be in the bank accounts of the toadies selected by Yingluck and her exiled terrorist puppeteer brother.

Edited by makkam
  • Like 1

A piranha feeding frenzy ..... "he believed board members of state enterprises should have considerable time to devote solely to the management of the country's utilities" --In translation "How do we rape the system best?" .... and "state enterprises have a total investment plan of Bt346.89 billion, but they have spent only Bt71.75 billion, or 20 per cent of the plan" --In translation, "Where is my legal tea money?!" and "the SEC had suggested that state enterprises raise capital from the capital market through issuance of infrastructure fund, a real-estate investment trust fund, and debentures" --In translation, "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss (with a nicer shirt color). Yay!!!"

Amazing Thailand.

I think it is not prudent nor wise to suggest these things. This is like saying all the money will be lost as all the projects are out of date - before you know what is actually being done and by whom.

I think the Army Brass are taking things seriously looking at THE WHOLE nation.

What a mess they inherited.

I congratulate them and YES there will be some stuff ups but any business model gets things wrong at times. It is HOW you rectify those mistakes that really count.

Prajin said the new members would be considered based on the time they could spend in the office, as he believed board members of state enterprises should have considerable time to devote solely to the management of the country's utilities.

Does anybody find this ridiculous. No skills required..A permannet position for an old general, who will siphon off funds after the contracts have been awarded to their friends and not Thaksins, who cannot not be removed by the next democratically elected government. Aka Yingluck losing her PM job. Who on here keeps saying the General is doing a good job. I want to kick you in the pants for your total ignorance of what is going on around you

Amazing Thailand.

I think it is not prudent nor wise to suggest these things. This is like saying all the money will be lost as all the projects are out of date - before you know what is actually being done and by whom.

I think the Army Brass are taking things seriously looking at THE WHOLE nation.

What a mess they inherited.

I congratulate them and YES there will be some stuff ups but any business model gets things wrong at times. It is HOW you rectify those mistakes that really count.

Business men run businesses and generals run armys..get it..It a cash cow which has been given to them as part of the financial reward for returning the country to what a few families want

Usually the generals fill their pockets from a 50% rise in the army budget after handing power back to people like Abhisit, this time they are cementing themselves in all places that cash flows thru and they think we dont know what they are up to

Edited by city

I think you'll also find that the Junta will be seeking and receiving advice from academics and others who were previously frozen out by the corruption maestros..the shinawatras.

The 71.75m spent to date will largely be in the bank accounts of the toadies selected by Yingluck and her exiled terrorist puppeteer brother.

And the remaining 300 billion will end up in generals pockets minus the reduced costs of a cutback program. I believe in Thailand there are several agencies licenesed to procure weapons for the forces. All those agencies are owned by relatives of high ranking army personnel...get the picture...I do

And the remaining 300 billion will end up in generals pockets minus the reduced costs of a cutback program. I believe in Thailand there are several agencies licenesed to procure weapons for the forces. All those agencies are owned by relatives of high ranking army personnel...get the picture...I do

Hey all - anonymous internet guy says the generals are corrupt. He would know right?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I hope they renationalise PTT and kick out the foreign banks that Thaksin brought in. They've got no business holding shares in PTT.

By the way, these banks also hold shares in Intouch.

They are reputed to be nominees for Thaksin in both regards, and they all share the same friends in the square mile and DC.

Probably just a conspiracy theory though, Thaksin would never do such a thing.

And where and how did they obtain their MBA's. At the intdrnational coup academy in the city of Regime, France?

The "feeding frenzy" and criticism seems to occur more on TV when uninformed (or half informed) and fearful members grab on on to every innuendo and rumor and run with it trying to make a point; only to discover they don't know where or what the goal is. post-4641-1156694083.gif.pagespeed.ce.HF

Western politicians are demanding that the military return the country to elections and democracy. Without any concern that the return might re-ignite the protests and violence already experienced, if not escalate into civil war.

A few Thai protesters are protesting what is now a done deal.... so what is their other choice? The politically rational thing to do would be to lay low, not get arrested, organize and prepare for when the elections will be held.

I think the current protesters (and reporters) are more interested in the 15 seconds of fame that happens when their picture or poster (written in English mostly) gets ran as news. When this first started I watched a BBC news clip of their reporter outside the military post.... when the young soldiers tried to move the news crews back.... he walked into the group of soldiers asking.... "....what's up guys? ....what's going on? ....is this a coop?" Evidently a reporter who does not speak Thai.... asking questions of young (country-boy) soldiers who do not understand English.... how dense and totally Farang of him. w00t.gif

With martial law in effect it seems as if the reporters might be trying to help create their stories rather than to report the news. Once again, without any concern that the gullible Thais interviewed may pay a high price for any backlash. How do they know where these flash mob protests are going to be held? ....of course they read the postings on the social networks.... but so does the military.... advertising a prohibited event in advance doesn't come across as a plan for success.

I don't have a clue as to how this is going to play out.... but I am rational enough to figure out that others don't know either. Damn.... I think I just joined the "feeding frenzy". coffee1.gif

Oh my lord.

You really think the state enterprises were some model of non corrupt conduct before the Thaksin era?

would you risk being turned in by a rival?

would you risk being turned in by a rival?

I wouldn't just for moral reasons but greed makes people take risks. I hope you're right that they would be afraid of getting caught. A few summary executions would get everybody's attention, though. My best Thai friend told me that up until the 1970s, it was common for Chinese shop house owners to burn their shops for the insurance money. The problem got really bad until the army summarily executed a few of them. No more shop houses mysteriously caught fire. As I said before, old corruption habits are hard to break.