Qatar World Cup: '$5m payments to officials' corruption claim

Lite Beer

Qatar World Cup: '$5m payments to officials' corruption claim

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling $5m to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

Qatar 2022 and Bin Hammam have always strenuously denied the former Fifa vice-president actively lobbied on their behalf in the run-up to the vote in December 2010.

But, according to emails obtained by the Sunday Times and seen by the BBC, it is now clear that Bin Hammam, 65, was lobbying on his country's behalf at least a year before the decision.

The documents also show how Bin Hammam was making payments direct to football officials in Africa to allegedly buy their support for Qatar in the contest.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27652181

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-01

Violence and corruption, the backbone of soccer. I sure hope and prey that my sons never get involved in this sport which I doubt they will as it is boring to watch and puts you to sleep.

On your initial point: Many will agree - the corruption in football, stinks and has done so for many years - I hope it gets cleaned up one day and can present the same image as a Rugby... one watched and enjoyed by families without all the acting, childish games and greed and corruption at a higher level.

On your final point: Billions disagree... As a game to play and game to watch football (or soccer for some) supersedes any other game - the numbers speak for themselves...

(I much prefer rugby btw).

• Like 1

Violence and corruption, the backbone of soccer. I sure hope and prey that my sons never get involved in this sport which I doubt they will as it is boring to watch and puts you to sleep.

On your initial point: Many will agree - the corruption in football, stinks and has done so for many years - I hope it gets cleaned up one day and can present the same image as a Rugby... one watched and enjoyed by families without all the acting, childish games and greed and corruption at a higher level.

On your final point: Billions disagree... As a game to play and game to watch football (or soccer for some) supersedes any other game - the numbers speak for themselves...

I like contact sports. I am not even sure if Australia has a soccer competition, if they do it is very low profile and doubt if they have put a team in the world cup.

• Like 1

I like contact sports. I am not even sure if Australia has a soccer competition, if they do it is very low profile and doubt if they have put a team in the world cup.

U sure don't keep up with the news in Aus....they have a very strong soccer league plus they are a competitor in the forthcoming World Cup in Rio ....just like 2010 and 2006.... Rugby is my first sport and I am not Australian but like to keep up with world news etc etc

Edited by Phuket Stan
  • Like 1

I like contact sports. I am not even sure if Australia has a soccer competition, if they do it is very low profile and doubt if they have put a team in the world cup.U sure don't keep up with the news in Aus....they have a very strong soccer league plus they are a competitor in the forthcoming World Cup in Rio ....just like 2010 and 2006.... Rugby is my first sport and I am not Australian but like to keep up with world news etc etc

fair enough, you learn something everyday. never seen soccer on Australian T.V plenty of football covered which is the main thing and the aussie hocky team is being covered at the world cup.

Maybe Tiddlywinks would suit them.

• Like 2

Nah they play a contact sport football, not soccer.

i hope your sons watch australia play in the forthcoming world cup, enjoy every exciting moment and fall in love with the most beautiful game on earth. oh and wind their dad right up into the bargain. wai2.gif

When is this world cup on? The football season doesn't finish until the end of Sept so the T.V is being used until then. If it is on during the football season then they will miss it. Football takes priority over all other sports.

i hope your sons watch australia play in the forthcoming world cup, enjoy every exciting moment and fall in love with the most beautiful game on earth. oh and wind their dad right up into the bargain. wai2.gif

When is this world cup on? The football season doesn't finish until the end of Sept so the T.V is being used until then. If it is on during the football season then they will miss it. Football takes priority over all other sports.

you only have one tv and no internet access in your home? how are things back in 1978 out of interest?

it starts in a fortnight and is the biggest sporting spectacle on the planet. and it's in brazil into the bargain. try to ignore what happens at FIFA and just watch what happens on the pitch and in the stands. you should give it a go mate, you might enjoy it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother, you're talking to peanut huggers. They call it football, then spend most of the game holding the bloody thing, the idiots.

biggrin.png

I had the misfortune of spending a weekend recently in Hong Kong while some big ass rugby tournament was being hosted there. I've never seen so many drunk morons per square foot in my life. I thought the zoo had let out. The hookers were mowing 'em down left and right.tongue.png

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother, you're talking to peanut huggers. They call it football, then spend most of the game holding the bloody thing, the idiots.

biggrin.png

I had the misfortune of spending a weekend recently in Hong Kong while some big ass rugby tournament was being hosted there. I've never seen so many drunk morons per square foot in my life. I thought the zoo had let out. The hookers were mowing 'em down left and right.tongue.png

Never really understood the rugby game but not bad to watch as it is a tough contact sport. Rugby and football fans are generally well behaved and don't roam the streets like soccer fans kicking the life out of innocent people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgAqfHWfzEY&feature=player_detailpage

That is why I would never let my kids get involved in soccer they could be murdered for just going to game. I don't think any responsible parent would allow it. Just my opinion but when you see all the braindead meatheads roaming the streets looking for a brawl and riots between fans at stadiums it scares the shit out of me. At rugby, football and cricket games spectators are all mixed together and get along well. Soccer fans have to be segregated.

biggrin.png

Probably the Sevens. In fairness, half of the Arabian Gulf used to head down for that and some hadn't had a drink in months.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Why are you trolling on the football forum?

Go annoy some people on the rugby forum instead...or get into discussion with StreetCowboy on the merits of the sevens....that will entertain you.

• Like 1

biggrin.png

Probably the Sevens. In fairness, half of the Arabian Gulf used to head down for that and some hadn't had a drink in months.

biggrin.png

Exactly it. A pack of plastered tree trunks littering the sidewalks of Wan Chai for blocks on end.biggrin.png

Go annoy some people on the rugby forum instead...or get into discussion with StreetCowboy on the merits of the sevens....that will entertain you.

What is the sevens?

• Like 1

Think you mean, "hope and pray", in which case, I agree!!

A.F.L RULES!!!!

Edited by Torrens54

What is the sevens?

Google and Wiki are your friend

• Like 1

You must be American laugh.png BTW, speaking of boring to watch and puts you to sleep, you speak of american football, a sport played only in USA and Japan ?laugh.png

as said above, I would think that rugby is more interesting to watch than soccer.