What will Phuket be like in 5-10 years from now?

simon43

Sorry, it's a new dam, not damn.

Been building it for about 4 years now, digging out a few mountains in the process.

Once it's complete, it appears that it will be about the same size as Bang Wad Dam.

The dam breast will be just west of Phunaka golf course and the dam will stretch to within about 2 miles of Patong, up that valley.

Don't know if they are planning on piping the water to Patong but, it's possible.

Thanks for the info. I have not seen it, which means that I'll have a reason to drive down there someday :)

And btw. I was not picking the dam/damn. It's just one of those words I often make mistakes and therefore I tend to follow the native speakers. :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"what sort of thing are you expecting" - better road maintenance, stable electric, reliable town water, proper public transport for tourists and for the reduction of traffic, effective policing - trying to reduce crime and increase road safety, abolishing the scams - jet skis, time share etc, storm water management - flood mitigation, waste water treatment for cleaner beaches, some town planning - also stopping encroachment, regular rubbish removal, street lighting, footpath upgrades/maintanence, more car parking - getting tuk-tuks of the Beach Roads etc etc etc etc.

These are not specifically related to tourism but actually general infrastructure upgrades. I think you will find that there has been investment in quite a few of these areas over the last few years (although I agree Patong has not really seen any improvement compared to other locations on the island).

You do know Patong, particularly Bangla Road, is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction, don't you?

Ha..yes

Unfortunately Patong and Bangla rd are marketed by a lot of international agents as the only place to stay on Phuket.

Many people don't realise that Phuket is in excess of 500 square kilometres with lots of alternate attractions, better beaches, better hotels and better roads.

These are not specifically related to tourism but actually general infrastructure upgrades. I think you will find that there has been investment in quite a few of these areas over the last few years (although I agree Patong has not really seen any improvement compared to other locations on the island).

True. Plenty of new things and upgrades happening all around the island. New roads, new waste burning facilities in Saphan Hin....

There are also all kind of events, which tourists are starting to find out. Vegetarian festival, chinese new year, weekend market on Thalang road etc. etc.

NKM: As you have many times mentioned that you travel around the island, why don't you name 5 positive changes (for real) on the island. Surely you have noticed at least some.

The big road projects have not been completed yet - so I don't count them.

The waste burning facility - I'm not sure about this being a positive, but this would depend on what it's pumping into the atmosphere.

I definately agree with the events you mention. They are always interesting and I usually attend, but are they "recent." They have been going on for years. Nothing new there.

Much of what has been built here, in recent times, are private businesses, for profit. That's great, but like I said, what's the point of having great attractions and activities if everything is crumbling around them?

If the saying is, "build it and they will come" - why do you think the western market is avoiding Phuket now?

What is being built here, has no point, if the beach water is like a sewer, there's no public transport, constant blackouts, flooding, stinking pipes/grates on the uneven footpaths, rubbish laying everywhere, rip offs and scams at every turn etc etc etc etc.

Just try to see Phuket through a western first time to Phuket/Thailand tourist's eyes. After 12 days here - what would their opinion be of their holiday, and their interaction with the locals, compared with their expectations (yes - the nice photos of beaches and smiling locals in the tourist magazine that prompted their booking) and no, most of these tourists will not be staying in Rawai. smile.png

Do you think they will return here?

We are seeing many western returning holiday makers to Phuket, now holidaying somewhere else in Thailand. Why is this the case, if so many nice things have been built here for them in recent times????

It's not all economic factors because they are still holidaying in Thailand, just not Phuket. I speak from experience, because I have friends who now go to Pattaya for their holiday and they used to come to Phuket, twice a year.

I would be happy to hear your explanation for this. I have given mine, but would be happy to hear yours.

Edited by NamKangMan

OK, how about the new damn that's being built?

Been going on about 4 years now and they seem like about 2-3 years away from completion.

Seems to me, it's going to be close to the same size as Bang Wad. (which by the way, they are redoing the damn breast this year also)

What damn and where?

Sorry, it's a new dam, not damn.

Been building it for about 4 years now, digging out a few mountains in the process.

Once it's complete, it appears that it will be about the same size as Bang Wad Dam.

The dam breast will be just west of Phunaka golf course and the dam will stretch to within about 2 miles of Patong, up that valley.

Don't know if they are planning on piping the water to Patong but, it's possible.

The infrastructure on this island is being improved upon all the time.

New bridges, roads (have you seen the new road between the big Makro and the new Mazda salesroom, (near the Honda car salesroom)??? Cuts out about 4 traffic lights and is a pleasure to know we can now get to the International hospital much quicker.

They are building something big along that road also, I've heard another hospital, and also heard a school. We shall see.

Of course, NKM probably will argue that tourists don't need hospitals. (or dams)

No, NKM will argue they are not built yet, so as of the 4/6/14, should not be counted as "recent postive change for Phuket" because as they have not been built yet, they haven't made a "positive change" to anything or anybody, except maybe create some employment, but that is not the essence of my question.

My question deals with "recent positive change" - that means in the recent past, not the future.

Whenever I visit the Town, I drive the new 4 lane road from Phaklok to the 2 ladies. They just started to widening the road further all the way to Bang Rong.. and perhaps to Myang Mai.

I don't really care about the tourists, why should I? They are not part of my everyday life. I care far more about the people who live here. Phuket still have plenty of tourists and will have in the future, almost unfortunately.

But I don't let you escape the challenge. Name 5 positive changes in Phuket.

I don't really care about the tourists, why should I?

Because without the money tourism brings in, to power the local economy it would have the amenities of Trang.

Tourism is what pays phukets way.. Its what employs the population, who spend in the shops, etc etc.. Like it or not. The island would not sustain on coconuts and rubber.

Take them away, and your left with a gutted hollow economy.

Edited by LivinLOS

Whenever I visit the Town, I drive the new 4 lane road from Phaklok to the 2 ladies. They just started to widening the road further all the way to Bang Rong.. and perhaps to Myang Mai.

I don't really care about the tourists, why should I? They are not part of my everyday life. I care far more about the people who live here. Phuket still have plenty of tourists and will have in the future, almost unfortunately.

But I don't let you escape the challenge. Name 5 positive changes in Phuket.

So, when the attractions, activities, hotels, restaurants, bars etc start closing their doors and becoming derelict buildings, and then the Thai's start raising the price, on everything, to make up for lost income, do you think Phuket will still be a nice place to live?

Hypothetically, if every tourist left Phuket tomorrow, do you really think you could still enjoy your current lifestyle here - I doubt it. The locals and expats rely on tourism, whether directly through business, or indirectly through being able to source western items. Eg. specific foods.

As for your challenge - it's actually my challenge - why do you think I've been asking the question for months. Currently, we have the "Patong City" sign and "free vacinations for dogs." smile.png

I was going to mention to you the Airport bus - but once again, privately owned.

I was going to mention the heavy vehicle restrictions over Patong Hill - but, that has just made another area of Phuket more dangerous, and didn't really take the danger away.

Believe me, I have tried to think of some.

Remember, we are talking about Government building works, or initiatives that have been implemented, in recent times, for the benefit of locals, tourists and expats. Basically, things that benefit everyone on the island.

Edited by NamKangMan

I don't really care about the tourists, why should I?

Because without the money tourism brings in, to power the local economy it would have the amenities of Trang.

Tourism is what pays phukets way.. Its what employs the population, who spend in the shops, etc etc.. Like it or not. The island would not sustain on coconuts and rubber.

Take them away, and your left with a gutted hollow economy.

I agree LivingLOS.

You were posting while I was typing a similar reply.

Without tourism, or tourist spending money here, Phuket would become like a village in Issan. :)

On that basis, we all have a vested interest, whether in business here, or not, to see successful and sustainable tourism here, and it's currently not happening.

As mentioned previously, the Phuket economy is probably heading for a recession, and I would not be surprised if it was in downturn already.

Without the tourists..

There would be no traffic jams. No lack of water resources. No tuk-tuks. No misbehaving foreigners who don't understand the local traditions. Eventually the would be less pollution and the beaches would be clean once again.

Crooked people would learn that there is no money for them and would move to another locations in Thailand or abroad.

See, many of the current problems would be solved if only there would not be tourists coming to the island.

Who cares about the money if one could simply go to afternoon fishing to get fish for the dinner.

Without the tourists..

There would be no traffic jams. No lack of water resources. No tuk-tuks. No misbehaving foreigners who don't understand the local traditions. Eventually the would be less pollution and the beaches would be clean once again.

Crooked people would learn that there is no money for them and would move to another locations in Thailand or abroad.

See, many of the current problems would be solved if only there would not be tourists coming to the island.

Who cares about the money if one could simply go to afternoon fishing to get fish for the dinner.

"Who cares about the money if one could simply go to afternoon fishing to get fish for the dinner." - because there would be no shop to go to where you could buy a fish rod and/or bait to go fishing. cheesy.gif

Get it?

True. Plenty of new things and upgrades happening all around the island. New roads, new waste burning facilities in Saphan Hin....

There are also all kind of events, which tourists are starting to find out. Vegetarian festival, chinese new year, weekend market on Thalang road etc. etc.

NKM: As you have many times mentioned that you travel around the island, why don't you name 5 positive changes (for real) on the island. Surely you have noticed at least some.

The waste burning facility - I'm not sure about this being a positive, but this would depend on what it's pumping into the atmosphere.

I definately agree with the events you mention. They are always interesting and I usually attend, but are they "recent." They have been going on for years. Nothing new there.

Much of what has been built here, in recent times, are private businesses, for profit. That's great, but like I said, what's the point of having great attractions and activities if everything is crumbling around them?

If the saying is, "build it and they will come" - why do you think the western market is avoiding Phuket now?

What is being built here, has no point, if the beach water is like a sewer, there's no public transport, constant blackouts, flooding, stinking pipes/grates on the uneven footpaths, rubbish laying everywhere, rip offs and scams at every turn etc etc etc etc.

Just try to see Phuket through a western first time to Phuket/Thailand tourist's eyes. After 12 days here - what would their opinion be of their holiday, and their interaction with the locals, compared with their expectations (yes - the nice photos of beaches and smiling locals in the tourist magazine that prompted their booking) and no, most of these tourists will not be staying in Rawai. smile.png

We are seeing many western returning holiday makers to Phuket, now holidaying somewhere else in Thailand. Why is this the case, if so many nice things have been built here for them in recent times????

It's not all economic factors because they are still holidaying in Thailand, just not Phuket. I speak from experience, because I have friends who now go to Pattaya for their holiday and they used to come to Phuket, twice a year.

I would be happy to hear your explanation for this. I have given mine, but would be happy to hear yours.

I also have friends who go to Pattaya now instead of Patong(like for like) as its easy to get to and cheaper when you get there and some of them lived in Patong for a while .

One made the point you can park your car in the hotel you are staying at.

"Who cares about the money if one could simply go to afternoon fishing to get fish for the dinner." - because there would be no shop to go to where you could buy a fish rod and/or bait to go fishing. cheesy.gif

Get it?

Uh I Get it. There would not even be Facebook or Instagram where to post the picture of the well prepared meal. What kind of life would that be!

I also have friends who go to Pattaya now instead of Patong(like for like) as its easy to get to and cheaper when you get there and some of them lived in Patong for a while .

One made the point you can park your car in the hotel you are staying at.

"One made the point you can park your car in the hotel you are staying at." - some may say you don't need a car or a motorbike in Pattaya because there are baht buses there. biggrin.png

As mentioned, I have expat friends who have moved to Pattaya from Phuket, and friends who used to holiday on Phuket twice a year that now go to Pattaya.

Sadly, I expect to see and hear more of this in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

Get it?

Uh I Get it. There would not even be Facebook or Instagram where to post the picture of the well prepared meal. What kind of life would that be!

Yes, with not as many internet subscribers on Phuket, the line maintanence would be neglected and they would probably divert bandwidth to the other, now more popular, tourist destinations in Thailand, so, you could very well be without the internet for periods of time.

There's no point maintaining an internet line if the cost of maintance is more than what the line earns in income if there are not many subscribers on the line.

You are finally seeing the bigger picture. :)

What will Phuket be like in 5-10 years from now?

A beautiful, Buddhist paradise. A World-Class family tourist destination with World-Class public transportation to match.

Buy in now lads, if you've got the dosh.

Yes, with not as many internet subscribers on Phuket, the line maintanence would be neglected and they would probably divert bandwidth to the other, now more popular, tourist destinations in Thailand, so, you could very well be without the internet for periods of time.

There's no point maintaining an internet line if the cost of maintance is more than what the line earns in income if there are not many subscribers on the line.

You are finally seeing the bigger picture. smile.png

Off on your flights of fantasy yet again, I see.

• Like 1

You are finally seeing the bigger picture. smile.png

Off on your flights of fantasy yet again, I see.

Perhaps the Russians, Chinese and Indians will save Phuket from such peril, as reported. biggrin.png

The following pictorial responses to the thread title question are not a flame; rather my serious responses after having visited Phuket three times too many over a 12-year span. Long enough to detect a few trends.

post-108400-14018641563568_thumb.jpg

post-108400-1401864171609_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fookhaht

Positive changes.... that I think, depends on when, why and what people had as a reason to settle here first time around. For some, more roads, shopping centres and villa /condo construction is destruction of nature and culture so are the statues, viewpoints and the circus on Thalang road. Rant over and glad I had a few years here seeing the original Phuket before it all was destroyed.

We'll all be travelling around on the Light Rail System in 5-10 years without a Tuk-Tuk in sight

post-108400-14018712383169_thumb.jpg

Nevertheless, "Hope springs eternal."

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll all be travelling around on the Light Rail System in 5-10 years without a Tuk-Tuk in sight

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1401871238.244085.jpg

Nevertheless, "Hope springs eternal."

Not entirely laughable now!

In light of recent events, anyone want to change their predictions? 

tongue.png

I doubt it...they'll find something else to whinge about