Emirates chief asks why no fighter jet tracked MH370

webfact

Emirates chief asks why no fighter jet tracked MH370

SYDNEY: -- Emirates chief Tim Clark has reportedly questioned why fighter jets did not intercept Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 when it veered widely off course, but said he believed the missing plane will be found.

Clark said that more information on the disappearance of the Boeing jet, which was carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, was needed before the industry changes its aircraft tracking procedures.

The Emirates boss told The Australian Financial Review at an annual airlines conference in Doha that the plane would have been intercepted by military aircraft if it had flown off course over other countries.

"If you were to fly from London to Oslo and then over the North Sea you turned off and then went west to Ireland, within two minutes you’d have Tornadoes, Eurofighters, everything up around you," he said.

"Even if you did that over Australia and the US, there would be something up. I’m not quite sure where primary radar was in all of this."

His comments came as the International Air Transport Association conference looked at ways of improving the tracking of aircraft through flight data transmissions or technologies to monitor their movements.

The International Civil Aviation Organisation has also formed a working group to explore tracking methods.

"In my view we are all plunging down a path that (says) ’we have got to fix this’," Clark said. "This is the door closing after the horse has gone 25 miles down the track.

"We need to know more about what actually happened to this aeroplane and do a forensic second-by-second analysis of it. I think we will find it and get to the bottom of it."
AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-03

• Like 2

Because, this is Asia, Mr. Clark.

We do things different than you, and you will never understand us.blink.png

From your post are we to assume that you do understand and will therefore explain to us all? facepalm.gif

Ahhhhh Rob,

Humour dried out?

• Like 2

Is it possible that the plane was tracked by the military?

Is it possible that the plane was shot down for security reasons?

In the shoot down scenario it wouldn't be surprising that a government kept this secret or on a need to know basis.

That's an interesting theory. But...which country's military was it that shot down the plane if so?

Why would you need to turn it off in the first place

Let me give you just one of many reasons. Say the little box starts smoking and getting a little hot and then a small fire breaks out. One would think perhaps the flight deck crew may wish to cut power to affected equipment to prevent the airplane burning up in the sky....

The resident TV experts on everything perhaps just don't get the big picture?

rolleyes.gif

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 1

In the shoot down scenario it wouldn't be surprising that a government kept this secret or on a need to know basis.

That's an interesting theory. But...which country's military was it that shot down the plane if so?

Thailand and the US.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-was-shot-down-in-military-training-exercise-claims-first-book-released-about-lost-jet-9391964.html

• Like 1

I still find it hard to believe that after 9/11it is physically possible to turn off the transponder ? Why would you need to turn it off in the first place ? I still maintain that the powers that be know more than they are letting on but are keeping it quiet for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, there are many safety features in the cockpit that can be turned off at the

whims of the flight crew, like bells, chimes, light signals, de icing systems and so on..

a many planes has fallen from the sky just because the flight crew didn't like or was

annoyed at one safety feature or another and turned it off....

And which government is capable of keeping something this major a secret for very long?

It wouldn't explain why the plane changed direction and the transponder was switched off, and if some military sent up planes to intercept this unknown plane, that alone would be known by a whole lot of people. Very hard to believe all this could have happened without anyone "leaking" some information intentionally or accidentally.

Let me give you just one of many reasons. Say the little box starts smoking and getting a little hot and then a small fire breaks out. One would think perhaps the flight deck crew may wish to cut power to affected equipment to prevent the airplane burning up in the sky....

rolleyes.gif

yes, and for all anybody knows that may turn out to be the reason it was turned off

• Like 1

I still find it hard to believe that after 9/11it is physically possible to turn off the transponder ? Why would you need to turn it off in the first place ? I still maintain that the powers that be know more than they are letting on but are keeping it quiet for whatever reason.

Transponders malfunction, ping out the wrong information, sometimes ATC ask for them to be turned off.

There is nothing unusual about it.

Agree on this lets look at the facts:

When the plane was reported missing everyone search for a week in the wrong area (Thailand gulf). If we assume the airplane was shot down it gave everyone involved enough time to arrange for the cover up in the Indian ocean. A sub is put into place to create pings on the same frequence as the black box, this keeps the searchers busy for a couple of months. In the meantime the cleaning up operations wipe out any trace of the plane.

An Oz company reported traces of aircraft metals in the gulf of Bengal, this suggestion was shotdown in flames by the searchers (pun intended), although the company have a good reputation and the technology. Why not send 1 ship to have a look?

Further facts both Malaysia and Thailands armed forces picked up the plane on their radar and both did nothing about it. Why? If you take a straight line from where the transponder was switch off and where Malaysia said it picked the plane up on their radar, the plane had to cross into Thai airspace. How did the aircraft fly across the straits of Malacca without being picked up on Indonesian radar? How did it cross the busy airlanes from Jakarta, KL and Singapore to Europe without being picked up by other aircraft radar?

After 9/11 most aircraft was fitted with technology to enable security forces to take remote control of an aircraft in case of a hijacking, was this plane equiped with this technology?

Was there any military drills in the gulf at that time?

Many questions but I doubt we will get the answers.

• Like 2

Like the 'official' enquiry into the collapse of the Twin Towers and Building 7 on 9/11, there remain too many unanswered questions about MH370 which defy logic.

By the amount of jumbled yes-no-maybe reports we have already heard, mixed with all the conspiracy theories, we may never know the whole truth, just like 9/11.
All the more reason to feel huge compassion for those who had loved ones on MH370.

Many must still cling to a fading hope that they are still alive somewhere.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

I'd say it has more to do with the cost of redesign to make the changes. Then the added cost of taking the planes out of operation to upgrade them.

I had read ,that both Malaysian & Thai radar tracked MH370 for the early part of the flight heading westerly.

As the flight path then varied ,I am sure that it should have appeared in some country's airspace & been checked ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was a shot down by the joint China / Bangledash military operation that was taking place that day. Then the Chinese govt sent a decoy ship to drop a black box way way south in the Indian Ocean to throw a wrench in ever finding the plane.

• Like 1

The transponders are equipped with off/on switches so that the aircraft can switch them of when the plane is on the ground in order to reduce signal clutter for the air traffic control staff.

Whatever happened, happened quickly in my view. I base this on the fact that I cannot conceive a large passenger jet could continue flying on the wrong course for 5/6 hours without someone on board telephoning relatives etc. to express concern. After all, there is a great deal of difference looking out of the window from the air between the Chinese landmass and the Indian ocean - even in the dark. You would at least see lights over land.

There must have been around 200 mobile phones on board plus the ones in the seats. No-one used either. Why?

Mr Kostas what a load of crap, I would imagine that 99.0% of countries would be checking their radars especially military and ask who the f*#** is this in our air space! it is not surprised to be here! scramble the jets check it out. Do you not think. If Burma, Malaysia, Thailand military picked up some bleeps on radar that were no supposed to be there they would or should scramble and check it out.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

And the little box that is smoking and telling the world where the plane is just happens to be on the same circuit the radio works on so the pilot can't issue a Mayday ?

A plane burning up in the sky as you suggest tends to quickly fall out of the sky and not disappear.

I'm also curious as to you telling us of the other " Many reasons " for being able to simply switch off a vital piece of equipment.

Please do enlighten us ignorant TV experts

I see a very big picture indeed only not the same you see it appears whistling.gif

..........or covertly diverted....with its passengers and unknown cargo....

to turn off the transponder is as simple as pulling out a breaker in the cockpit,used to isolate a piece of equipment that is malfunctioned or is used to isolate in case of fire, you pull the breakers on non essential equipment and restore them one by one until you pinpoint the problem

And the little box that is smoking and telling the world where the plane is just happens to be on the same circuit the radio works on so the pilot can't issue a Mayday ?

A plane burning up in the sky as you suggest tends to quickly fall out of the sky and not disappear.

I'm also curious as to you telling us of the other " Many reasons " for being able to simply switch off a vital piece of equipment.

Please do enlighten us ignorant TV experts

I see a very big picture indeed only not the same you see it appears xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

err...

My statement was in relation to why the transponder can be disabled by the crew nothing in relation to MH370. So feel enlightened!

But I did enjoy your same circuit as the radio works biggrin.png

Perhaps when you sober up you can re-read your statement quoted here to help you. And then think about my response....muppet.

I still find it hard to believe that after 9/11it is physically possible to turn off the transponder ?
Edited by negreanu

Because, this is Asia, Mr. Clark.

We do things different than you, and you will never understand us.blink.png

Maybe a bit of truth in this.

Maybe Malaysia didn't have QRA jets sitting there waiting to be launched at a moments notice like many of the larger airforces. .