Massive lighting hits our tot last night!

Sandman77

Have rain and lighting this light

All tot services gone up in smoke

I see 3 lights on the modem

The first to from the left stand still

The first on the right blinking up!

Others are dark!

I reporter the worst case scenario to 1100

With in one minute was done

Yes sir I report to the technican

Where short aswer, looks like more

People affected.

Maybe I belive in one week service come back!

Looks like no lighting protection system installed

Lightning does take out equipment....happened to me a few years ago when lightning struck my neighbor's house only meters away and blew a small hole in his roof. It was around midnight and a bad thunderstorm was underway...I saw a bright flash and heard the thunder at the same instant...and it really shook my house. I looked over at my ADSL modem, Linksys router, VOIP adapter, Fax machine and cordless phone that I had on the same desk....the lights on all of them were no longer normal.

Next morning as the neighbor was having tiles replaced on his roof I determined the modem was smoked, the Linksys router had been damaged but still partially worked, the VOIP adapter "12V power adapter" was smoked, the cordless phone "9V power adapter" was smoked, and the fax machine was OK.

TOT gave me new ADSL modem/router free of charge (I went to one of their service centers the next day), I bought a couple of replacement power adapters, and also some lightning protection for my incoming phone/ADSL lines. Over the next month I also installed whole house lightning protection on my electrical main circuit box...I also installed MOVs/varisters in all my power strips.

Knock on wood but I haven't had any lightning or surge damage since...but I haven't had a lightning strike within meters of my house like I had before which probably even the best lightning protection could have done little to stop the damage. And lightning don't have to strick directly close to your home to send a serious surge/spike through your electrical/phone lines...it can be a distance away and cause serious "induced" surges/spikes into the electrical/phone lines...kinda like how an antenna picks up signals.

• Like 1

Yes, good idea. When we get nasty lighting storms, and we've had quite a few lately, I tend to shut down and unplug my computers, televisions, etc, and wait it out. Quite often, the local government shuts the electricity off entirely until the storm passes.

• Like 2

Last Friday afternoon I was trying to read/reply to ThaiVisa and got so p1ssed off with it I switched it off.

5 minutes later during one of the frequent thunderstorms there was a very loud crash of thunder, instant lightning and my TOT internet died.

Could there really be a "God" and if so was she listening? I am sure I heard some loud laughter and a voice saying "That will teach you to ask for something".

I tried to report it to the local people in Khampaeng Phet 65 km away but I guess they must have been in the storm shelters as they didn't answer the phones or mobiles. I reported it to TOT call centre and they seem to know me there now. Of course it was POETS day and nobody came out until Monday.

There are about 6 of us on a microwave link going back 10 km and when I called KPP they said that the head was fried and I should get the internet back today as the spares have to come up from BKK. In the event the link came back yesterday afternoon and I did call KPP to say thank you.

That was the second head fried this year and the third in less than a year. I would have though the cost of sending a maintenance team out twice, once to survey the task and the next to repair it (no spares available) plus the cost of 3 heads would make a fibe optic cable 6 km long a viable option. Low or no maintenance, safe enough against lightning strikes, both AIS and DTAC run fibres past the house would be a good reason, BUT you have to fight against company bean counters by using engineering logic and it simply doesn't work.

Edited by billd766

Thanks for nice answers!

I using lighting protection for all my electronic and also the telephone line itself loop troth , from apc.com

American power company!

A good one is around 300€

The company says our products are so good, that incase a lighting make any damage while using one of our products offers a insurance up to 100000€ that's sounds real amazing

In my case everything was unplugged

Signal not come back

Tot hotline always short aswer and want hang up before you can ask questions say it's a real big damage

And need longer time to fix it

Maybe one week must order parts from somewhere I think

Now Iam online with the amazing fast 3G flat

Luckily, perhaps, for me I don't have a landline to unplug. We applied for one when we were building the house in 2003 but I guess they misfiled it and we are still waiting.

As for 3G it is available in the big village 6km away but with 2 other AIS sites closer and only 2+G and a 2G DTAC site it is hardly worth bothering with.

Spare parts are used by engineers, squirreled away by logistic people and guarded zealously by bean counters and locked away from sight in secret bunkers somewhere.

A request for spares to head office is usually responded to by hysterical laughter and when the guy manages to get his breath back the usual response is ............

You want What? When? Where?

Don't you know how much these things cost?

What do you mean, Do I understand customer service? Who needs customers anyway, they are just a pain in the rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

Try next life.

Try A external 3G booster antenna

Tot signal not come back

But now network search found tot 3G

Want try because 3G ais very unstable

But also in local tot store not have any sim for sale on eBay and 7 impossible to get one

Unbelieving the tot signal comes back today YEahh!

The complete DSL station generating signal was burned

Hotline told only sorry equuitment down in your area , how. Much you think

Tot payes for replacement 100000 k or more?post-114169-1402143356262_thumb.jpg