Which country in Europe would you recommened visiting?

Display

I am planning to go to Europe for a break from Bangkok in mid - December for one or two months. I spent 6 weeks last year in April/May between Holland and Ireland, while I enjoyed my stay in Amsterdam, both Holland and Ireland were quite expensive and sometimes dull with the weather etc. Although I don't mine the cold weather/rain as it is a good break from Thailand's heat.

Where is your favorite place to visit in Europe and why?

And information on how expensive it is compare to Holland/Ireland/UK would be great!

• Just been to Paris accommodation. It was 120 euros a night for a studio apartment and it wasn't even in the centre! Went to Bois du Boulogne and the Parc D'Acclimation which is great for kids. We got hungry and discovered a hot dog was nine euros! A magnum ice cream was 'only' 4 euros!!! France is good but expensive. Spain and Portugal are cheaper, as is Greece. Poland and Czech Republic are also cheap...

• Like 1

Mid December to Mid February is the most expensive time in Europe, as it is Christmas and holiday season...

Weatherlike you might find either cold rain or loads of snow in the mid- to northern-parts of Europe, more comfortable will be the whole south (Greece, Italy, south of France, Spain, Portugal).

Favorite places depends on what you want to do... skiing in the alps? Will be extremely expensive during that time... the more south, the cheaper it will get, the more hi-so the ski resorts, the more expensive they will be.

• Like 2

Bratislava in Slovakia.

Not as touristy as Prague but just as interesting to walk around. Good bars, great beer, amazing architecture and still with a hint of that Iron Curtain mystique ..... and hot women.

Costs lower than Netherland or Ireland.

• Like 1

• Just been to Paris accommodation. It was 120 euros a night for a studio apartment and it wasn't even in the centre! Went to Bois du Boulogne and the Parc D'Acclimation which is great for kids. We got hungry and discovered a hot dog was nine euros! A magnum ice cream was 'only' 4 euros!!! France is good but expensive. Spain and Portugal are cheaper, as is Greece. Poland and Czech Republic are also cheap...

I will never complain again about 40 Baht for a Magnum. smile.png

• Like 2

European weather very unpredictable during that period, could be mild or freeze your balls off, and that applies to any part of mainland Europe these days. Having said that, Southern Spain or Portugal are both likely to be warmer and cheaper. Step off the beaten path in these places can be very rewarding, otherwise just wall to wall hotels and tourists. Check out somewhere like Valencia on Trip Advisor and see if that floats your boat.

• Like 1

Norway would be a good option for a number of posters on this site, for obvious reasons.

I spent many weeks in the region between Bergen and Alesund (there is ° on top of the A) : the fjords are one of the greatest views in the world.....but I went in summer....in winter it will be dark or nearly dark most of the day..

The magnificent coastline of the former Yugoslavia.

Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria.

Been to them all....

post-42643-0-11619300-1402030400_thumb.j

been for 3 weeks at a time, to Croatia, been on many Bus day trips, hired a car a few times, very nice.. Mountains most of the way down near the coast which have snow on them in winter, but still nice on the coast..

Stayed twice at this hotel

post-42643-0-26176900-1402030626_thumb.j

5 mins walk from town

post-42643-0-47407800-1402030701_thumb.j

You mean Paris is expensive,and them Parisians are like Bngkok expats too hahahahhahaha

If you want to "see" things, consider a tour. I did that the first time I went and I loved it. A bus picked us up at the airport in Paris and took us directly to a modest but good hotel where we slept off the jet lag. In the morning there was a continental breakfast and the bus was outside.

The reason it was good was that the driver and tour guide knew the city and all the best routes and sites. We were dropped off at all of the most famous places and this went on for about 3 days. The Louvre, Eiffel Tower to the top, Notre Dame, Palace of Versailles, and even a day trip down the Loire Valley to see real castles explore a couple and have lunch in one.

Then we made our way down to Italy, stopping at attractions such as the Leaning Tower of Pisa and down to Rome and the Vatican. We saw Michelangelo's painting of the ceiling of the chapel. Then we made our way to the Mediterranean and back up to Madrid where we saw a bull fight, the museum and from there flew back to the US. Got first class all the way back to the US because the plane was overbooked.

Now I often take a tour the first time I go anywhere whether its salmon fishing with a guide in Alaska or exploring the alligator filled swamps and Cajun shacks in the swamps of Louisiana from a guide boat.

Try it just once even if it's just a day trip. On a whim in New Orleans I caught a day bus tour to old Antebellum plantation mansions that we could tour and have lunch in one.

Edited by NeverSure

Italy...Italy...Italy....Every city looks different, have different culture and people, and different weather.

Hotels are not expensive outside downtown, some called Abergos, are similar like guesthouses. For long term you can find a small rustic vila asking the locals about. If you will like to be based close to Rome and travel around, look for a small town with train station.

Ups....the people is great, downs....nobody worry about schedules. Everything is very relaxed and casual. I love it because I am Latino...but some other cultures have problems with that. BIG UP.....The best wine and food in Europe.....

About "expat" life in Italy? Watch the film " Under Tuscan Sun " will give you ideas.

Contact this villa/hotel for info in Frascati close to Rome Villa del Fiorio www.villafiorio.it ..No be so impress by the luxury. It is not a typical tourist hotel and they may deal with you renting a room for long term. Frascati is a wonderful small town to live like a local 1/2 hour train ride to Rome. At least book it for a weekend to look around. Prices vary very much depending in occupancy. Just ask, and you will surprised like I was. Great place!!!!

• Like 1

You have to do Italy, Roma, Frascati (with restaurants that don't sell food), south to Napoli, the Amalfi coast, Positano, Pompei on the way back, Ercolano (Herculaneum [mini Pompei])

What a Coincidence! I mentioned Frascati too.....What a fantastic place to live outside Rome!

• Like 1

Hi

I`m in Italy now and it would get my vote, except wouldn`t fancy it in winter, just don`t like the cold.

Excellent scenery & food, not costly compared to the UK, I`d say cheaper in comparison.

In the north now not far from Milan, weather great, heading south in another week.

If you`ve not been , worthy of consideration.

Nice restaurants, nice bars and people that like to live life.

I`ve been visiting for many years, always a pleasure to return.

smile.png

• Like 1

Hi

I`m in Italy now and it would get my vote, except wouldn`t fancy it in winter, just don`t like the cold.

Excellent scenery & food, not costly compared to the UK, I`d say cheaper in comparison.

In the north now not far from Milan, weather great, heading south in another week.

If you`ve not been , worthy of consideration.

Nice restaurants, nice bars and people that like to live life.

I`ve been visiting for many years, always a pleasure to return.

smile.png

Sounds great! Always wanted to visit Rome at least once, will see, but Italy is definitely in the calendar. And I love the Italian cuisine, got to say I m Jealous a bit lol as Bangkok can be wearing at times. Have a great time!

Edited by Display
  • Like 1