Mythical beast found in construction pool, villagers insist: Korat

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nessie was deliberately faked as an act of retribution.

Retribution for?

Essentially, the author said, it was a toy submarine bought from F.W. Woolworths with a head and neck made of plastic wood, built by Christian Spurling, the son-in-law of Marmaduke Wetherell, a big game hunter who had been publicly ridiculed in the Daily Mail, the newspaper that employed him. Spurling claimed that to get revenge, Marmaduke Wetherell committed the hoax, with the help of Chris Spurling, his son Ian Marmaduke, who bought the material for the fake, and Maurice Chambers, who asked surgeon Robert Kenneth Wilson to offer the pictures to the Daily Mail.

Source: http://www.mysteriesaroundus.com/nessie-is-she-real/

Yep. Of all the 'myths and legends' Nessie is surely the easiest to discount as it's origin was fake. I also remember reading about Peter Scott, the famed English naturalist and his brilliant hoax years ago when he published a supposed photograph of the monster and named it 'Nessiteras Rhombopteryx.........which just happened to be an anagram of Monster Hoax by Sir Peter S.

It would be nice to see one of these tales prove to be true but I doubt it. UFOs don't make ant scientific sense, crop circles are probably the work of Jethro Tull fans and Big Foot could be any number of American backward backwoodsmen. The best bet is vampires...... I think I may even have unknowingly met one or two in the LOS. giggle.gif

Outstanding, only in Amazing Thailand.

and the real money spinner is of course those mythical lottery numbers

"The villagers also told our correspondent that some believers asked the Naga for luck and subsequently won the lottery, while those who drank water from the construction pool quickly recovered from illnesses."

This pic has done the rounds but to my knowledge has never been satisfactorily explained. This is what the Naga is supposed to look like.

The picture is a snapshot of an oarfish, a rare deep sea creature. The picture is installed in a Bangkok bar as "shot in Thailand", but the picture was taken on the California coast during WWII.

There are pictures of Thais holding oarfish caught in freshwater in circulation.

I sighted one on the River Kwai and reported it to the research department at Florida State University. They confirmed that the creature has not been documented in fresh water, and there may be a subspecies native to Thai rivers that, like salmon, breeds in freshwater and lives most of their life cycle out at sea. The curiously square head is distinctive.

The one I sighted was swimming upstream, more than 100 km. from the ocean.

It frankly frightened me, since I thought it was a snake. The beastie was about three meters long.

wai.gif

Does no one there own a mobile phone that can take pictures.

Nope, didn't think so.

I bet someone took a picture but all you'll see is their face or all their friends.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Everyone at the ceremony was so excited," she said, adding that the villagers were sure that the Naga will bring great fortune to their community."

--sure it will, just like Loch Ness!! Start printing the tourist advertisement flyers!

I suppose it would be culturally insensitive to call this retarded.

I mean, in the abstract, I still want to believe that it is beautiful that people of different cultures have their own mythology and belief to the point of mass religious hysteria. And on the other hand, I hate a fkng liar.
Maybe it's just me.

"Everyone at the ceremony was so excited," she said, adding that the villagers were sure that the Naga will bring great fortune to their community."

--sure it will, just like Loch Ness!! Start printing the tourist advertisement flyers!

I brought great fortune to my community when I first moved there, mostly by being changed double for everything that the locals pay, but no one has built a shrine for me.