Police to launch new campaign against traffic law violators

Lite Beer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see I don't have a problem with fining, arresting or detaining those who break the traffic laws.

The road blocks to nick those motorbike riders without licenses or helmets is full justifiable because it is directly related to saving their lives or those of others.

To me one of the golden opportunities the law seems to miss is to penalise those who drive at night with faulty lights. They have the full gambit of offenders to choose from.

If this is a sincere attempt to improve the reputation and effectiveness of the police then it can only be a good thing.

I am all for it. Especially towing illegally parked vehicles that back up an entire city's traffic. The selfishness of these people's action and the effects it has on others makes my blood boil. May be ALL police vehicles should be tow trucks. Even double parked vehicles with the 'token' hazard lights on should be towed IMMEDIATELY. Regardless of whether the owner returns to the vehicle during the hook up process. And please come and enforce it here in Chiang Mai as well.

• Like 2

But without resources these crackdowns are pointless.

Thailand needs:

• A centralised database that the police can check the status of any drivers licence to drive.
  • Automatic bans for certain driving offences and toting up points system to ban bad drivers.
  • Police need reliable communications to check a drivers status.
  • The police need a lot more tow trucks.
  • The police need a lot more compounds for storing seized vehicles.
  • The police need to know they are not above the law, and will not only be fired for collecting "tea money" but also be prosecuted.
  • The police need a lot more vehicles to be able to patrol the highways instead of operating from static roadside check points.

the first what hey need is decent salary that they don't need to rely on the tea money anymore. but than comes the greed...

Care to point to a decent salary threshold which would curb tea-money?

I'm guessing this replaces the stern enforcement they introduced so loudly in March,

Notice that all the enforcement "infractions" detailed by the RTP adviser are revenue generating situations.

Nothing mentioned about safety for pedestrians primarily and secondarily for all motorists. TIT.

You see I don't have a problem with fining, arresting or detaining those who break the traffic laws.
The road blocks to nick those motorbike riders without licenses or helmets is full justifiable because it is directly related to saving their lives or those of others.
To me one of the golden opportunities the law seems to miss is to penalise those who drive at night with faulty lights. They have the full gambit of offenders to choose from.
If this is a sincere attempt to improve the reputation and effectiveness of the police then it can only be a good thing.

Depends on what you mean by faulty lights, if you are driving along the road at night, can you tell if one of your back light or brake light fails? That happened to me back in Scotland, I told the two cops straight that they are not booking me as I did not know one of my back light bulbs conked out. They just let me go.

I suspect they were using the conked out light bulb as an excuse to see if I had been drinking, and when I stood my ground, they knew I wasn't, so they just let me go.

"And traffic cops being polite"

Where I live many look like mexican bandits , and they talk like them with there arrogance .

Any traffic cops I have been in touch with here in Thailand, have always been polite, I have have my hand shaken with a big smile, and been saluted.