Crazy electricity bill, what to do?

Hey,

I moved into a condo in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi 6 weeks ago and we just go a ridiculous electricity bill.

The bill that I found in the mail box was 730฿ which is pretty much what we expected, so we gave the money to our landlord and he took the bill. Today he's saying that was the bill for the first 2 weeks, and now the bill for the past month is 3200฿

We've spoken to other people in the building, one guy pays 800฿, another 500฿.

My cousin with whom I share the condo had a 1 bedroom place for 6 months before moving here and paid 300฿.

Any idea why the bill is so high? Yes we have 2 aircons through the night, but so does everyone else we've spoken to. We have no kitchen, no tv, no washing machine...

The landlord is coming tomorrow to show us the bill and collect the money...

Charlotte

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of cases where the electric company has charged old unpaid bills (previous owner / tenant) to the new owner / tenant and I've also heard that they can do this by law.

Maybe this is the reason for the coming soon 3,200B bill. Then again maybe it's something different.

Suggest you take a good look at the meter readings on the bill and ask to see previous bills and compare.

Good luck, you will need it.

• Like 1

3200 isnt high, but as suggested check your readings and most of all check what you are being charged per unit.

The norm is around 4 baht per unit, landlords hike this up, but that depends on what is stated on your rental agreement. If that wasnt stipulated then you got nowhere to go but pay what he asks per unit based on the readings.

• Like 2

I paid 5300 B, and also used only 2 aircons by nights.

A few years ago I paid the warmest months 1400 - 1800 B in a small condo, and was only 1 aircon used by nights. And the elecrt. unit's price is increased now.

So, this bill is OK, nothing to do.

But don't forget to order air-con cleaning (inside and outside) the dirty machines can occurre 40% higher consumption.

3200 isnt high, but as suggested check your readings and most of all check what you are being charged per unit.

The norm is around 4 baht per unit, landlords hike this up, but that depends on what is stated on your rental agreement. If that wasnt stipulated then you got nowhere to go but pay what he asks per unit based on the readings.

Do you mean over 5 B / unit ? My bill was around 5.35 B / unit.

Immaterial what others' bills are really; depends on what temp your aircons are set at? Two units will easily draw that amount's worth if they're cranked up. Also, do you shower a lot? Aircons and showers are the main culprits for sucking up juice.

2 aircons all night long...yes i think 3200 sounds about right.

I have one on almost 24-7 and my bills 2k so I reckon yours is right, it shouldl improve with cooler weather though but by me its regularly 38c+

My bill is 6000 every month.. 3 x air.. Your bill sounds ok. These few months are the most expensive though..

Wow 6,000 is so high! I was speaking to a girl round here who lives in a house with her family, 4 aircons, all the electrical appliances, 2200B. It just seems a lot for where we live. Some people I work with only pay 1500 rent.

I don't know but cleaning the filter on your A/c ever few months help to made it more efficient.

BTW nice to see a beautiful lady join TV instead of the usually grumpy old men.

Oh thank you, that's very kind :) xx

No its not, my bill is the similar to some other posters, 2 aircons around 5 to 6k/m

18,000 btu ac at 28° 9am to 12am

12,000 btu ac at 26° 11pm to 10am

Plus pool pump, laundry, night lights dusk to 9am, full time hot water tank, tv on 24/7, etc.

6,000 baht the last 2 months.

We're running one extra AC unit and hit 11k last month. Ugh. Highest bill by far over the past 4 years living here. Rates seem to have just gone up a bit. And it seems to be really hot this year???

• Like 1

Plus pool pump, laundry, night lights dusk to 9am, full time hot water tank, tv on 24/7, etc.

We're running one extra AC unit and hit 11k last month. Ugh. Highest bill by far over the past 4 years living here. Rates seem to have just gone up a bit. And it seems to be really hot this year???

It is really hot! I added a lot of insulation and it makes the house so much cooler.

In my old apartment. One aircon on about 10 hours at 26-27. Fridge. Hotwater pot. Electric @ 7baht unit bills average 2,200baht.. so with 2 airs I can easily see 3,200b per month. Check your rate!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I paid 5300 B, and also used only 2 aircons by nights.

A few years ago I paid the warmest months 1400 - 1800 B in a small condo, and was only 1 aircon used by nights. And the elecrt. unit's price is increased now.

So, this bill is OK, nothing to do.

But don't forget to order air-con cleaning (inside and outside) the dirty machines can occurre 40% higher consumption.

So true on the air-con cleaning.. when ever my bill is going up I get it done. Usually this time of year.

Think its 700-800b per unit and now they are so much more cooler.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My bill is 6000 every month.. 3 x air.. Your bill sounds ok. These few months are the most expensive though..

Wow 6,000 is so high! I was speaking to a girl round here who lives in a house with her family, 4 aircons, all the electrical appliances, 2200B. It just seems a lot for where we live. Some people I work with only pay 1500 rent.

Yeah its high.. but I have the air on nearly 24/7.

Its only this time of year... when it cools off a big I have had them @ 4000b...

I guess it depends on the size of the ac and the size of the place... 2200b I wish..

It is really hot! I added a lot of insulation and it makes the house so much cooler.

I should look into this. Thanks for reminding me...again!

How big are the aircon units (Btu) and more importantly, how old are they? When were they last cleaned/gassed?

How old/accurate are the thermostats/control units and do the compressors shut down when the set temperature is reached?

I know you say you have no kitchen, but do you have a microwave, freezer?

Do you have a water heater on the shower?

How many fridges?

How many computers?

These are some of the power consumers! I am in a 4-bedroom house, 5 x aircons (not on all the time), freezer, 3 x standup fridges, numerous fans, 3 x desktop computers (on almost all the time), 4 x notebooks, and I don't know how many smart phones and tablets there are.

The average electricity bill is between 5 - 6,000 baht, never more than 7,000.

Remember you are paying a higher unit rate already "the condo rate" AND two air con units on all night.....sounds about right.

I used my air con a lot last month in a house in one room and my bill was 1300 baht at "normal rates".

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If some of your neighbours have 2 aircons working trough the night I do not see how they could have 500/800 Baht bill. Personally I have 3000/4000 Bahts every months, but yes I have a kitchen with big fridge, microwave, rice cooker, oven and so on, all electric, so its understandable. Also I pay directly to the electricity company.

Edited by Tchooptip

We have 18000btu aircon on at least 20 hours a day large house everything left on most of the day fans pc tv etc highest last bill 1700bt usually nearer to 2500bt but just cleaned the aircon unit .must admit aircons that are dirty eat electric.

I am sure 2 aircons in a condo with inflated rates of units could easily be 4000bt p.m

Edited by kwak250