Junta head to hold politicians responsible for their past wrongful management of the country

Lite Beer

Thanks Winstonc, I don't mind at all being "educated' and have stuff pointed out to me, how do you learn without asking questions, and asking the difficult ones too?

I want to learn, I want to know all the good stuff and the bad stuff as it helps me understand the situations better, and I rely on the Ginjags of the forum to provide this, warts and all, I prefer to keep an open mind, and listen to all sides, and if I have to form opinions I do so based on what I find, I'd love to have been an investigative journalist, I'm not afraid to ask the difficult questions either.

My bosses have a love hate relationship with me, I'm good at my job, I get results and the clients are always singing my praises, but I'm not afraid to tell the "grown ups" as we call them, the ground truth, I don't ever believe in glossing over the cracks, I've never been the one to toe the party line entirely, just because the rest of the herd do, I've asked the questions that guys are too scared to, who when all together whinge and moan like <deleted>, and say they'll do this that or the other, but when push comes to shove and the big cheeses come down and ask "hows things on the ground" they clamp like <deleted> oysters!! Me, I can't help myself, I'll tell them the truth, and then I'll have a go at the blokes for talking shit and not backing it up, the truth always hurts, in love life and politics.

Thailand has a chance now to progress, everyone should be getting behind that effort, focus on what can be achieved now, and the future will be easier to deal with.

Without the valuable input and contributions from many TVF members, we'd all be sitting in a dark room, making shit up, afraid to go anywhere, or say anything, I love this forum, it's a valuable learning place for those who wish to know more about an awesome country!! :D

Search and have a read on "what Transparency International says about Taksin will shock you". I enjoy your posting and don't sell yourself short just because of someone. Stick with your beliefs and principles.

• Like 1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The military may be the "least" corrupt organization in Thailand...good for them...taking on many of Thailand's problems...forward thinking...and trying to bring about stability...integrity...and cohesion to governing Thailand...I like it...

• Like 2

The military may be the "least" corrupt organization in Thailand...good for them...taking on many of Thailand's problems...forward thinking...and trying to bring about stability...integrity...and cohesion to governing Thailand...I like it...

It's definitely a watershed. Even in this short time they have managed to achieve at least partial reforms that most would have thought nearly impossible, or at least decades in the making.

The hangers-on and outright pigs will continue to squeal in protest for some time, but the changes taking place right now are sure to bring about a better life and higher standard of living for the vast majority of the population.

I have no doubt that the name Prayuth will be revered in textbooks and political analysis for many generations to come.

Bravo General. Bravo!

• Like 2

"I'm not afraid of a crusade; I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen*

* = slightly tweaked version

Edited by MaxYakov

It's definitely a watershed. Even in this short time they have managed to achieve at least partial reforms that most would have thought nearly impossible, or at least decades in the making.

The hangers-on and outright pigs will continue to squeal in protest for some time, but the changes taking place right now are sure to bring about a better life and higher standard of living for the vast majority of the population.

I have no doubt that the name Prayuth will be revered in textbooks and political analysis for many generations to come.

Bravo General. Bravo!

I guess if there are people who agree with spilling the beans on civil servants who express unconstructive ideas, education reform for ban on junta criticism and attitude adjustment for people who disagree, then it's truly Bravo General.

After all you said in the reply to ROB, I can ask you why was not there an outcry from you everytime the PTP/Yingluck regime slipped up ???

That's an easy answer, I've wasn't a member of TVF when the Yingluck Regime were running the country into the ground, I joined here after they become a caretaker Government, I then started to do more reading and research about all the various issues, like the rice pledging scam, and the more I read about all sides, the more I became "interested"

Yes absolutely I said that the best way in which to remove Yinglucks authority was through elections, and I'll say it again, if the claims made by so many here that the majority of the Thai people wanted her out, then there's no way that she could win, and she and the PTP would have been removed through one of the democratic processes, but it was never given the chance, again I supported what Suthep was doing about the anti corruption but questioned why he of all people, who has been involved in corruption was championing that cause, I also said many many times that it was right up until they prevented the rights of those who wished to vote, that made me change my views and opinions of his cause, they become more radical and militant.

I don't believe I have ever said that Yingluck was a good PM, or Leader, or that the PTP/UDD were the right choice to follow, you see, I follow, nor support, nor have ever supported either side, as they're not worth it.. I just don't know how many times I've said that if anything, I'd support Abhisit,but all that the you see are the citicisms against the things and the party you follow, when watching a football match, just because I want one team to beat the other, doesn't mean I support either, as perhaps the reasoning for wishing them to be beaten will be good for the team that I DO support will benefit from their rivals dropping points wink.png

If there is a prize for the longest run on sentence, you win. Jesus, did the punctuation keys fall off your computer?

• Like 2

You see Rob, you automatically make an assumption that I'm red when making observations of those who oppose(d) the Yingluck administration. I have never stated anywhere that I, if I were a Thai, or had the right to vote, that I'd support the PTP/UDD, if you wish to check up on this, I've always stated that IF I had the rights, I'd vote for Abhisit.. I must be the only Red supporter in the entire Kingdom that would support the Dems !! .. Is there such a thing as a Dem supporting Red? cheesy.gif

In all honesty, I've no time for any political party, they're all abysmal, and all with poor track records, just because I find inconsistencies and flaws in peoples opinions, doesn't have to mean I am supporting their opposite view. I happen to believe that the Yingluck Administration was rank rotten..and deserved to go.. what? A "Red" supporter saying the "red government needed to go?" another contradiction to your assumption of which side I have chosen?.

This isn't a football match where you're either a red or a yellow, and there's no in between, that's nonsense, people can participate in debates without having the need, nor the desire to align themselves with any paticular party. I participate as it's educational and stimulating to listen to other peoples opinions, I neither need to agree or disagree with them to share the topic.

Of course there's some staunch pro-government and anti government members here on TVF, me? I don't really take it that seriously, I'm being educated and entertained, having an opinion that differs from mainstream doesn't necessary make you pro or anti wink.png

The vast majority of Thais and Farangs outside of TVF were getting on with their lives and going about their daily business, past and present and will do in the future, as if nothing has ever happened, life all over Thailand was quite normal before the coup, in other words they were oblivious to the ongoing turmoil in Bangkok, life was routine and normal, but suddenly the coup happened and they had a curfew imposed on them and that normal life, granted the majority of rural Thais are asleep before the curfew came into effect, so in reality again it didn't really effect them, or change the way in which they went about their work and business.

Do I think the Junta are doing a good job, yes I do, they're seizing the day and General Prayuth deserves a hell of a lot more praise from the "International" community, but I am also of the belief that when you call for transparency and accountability that should also include your own department, and in this case the Army itself. The RTA is full of Generals, who have got where they are through Nepotism and belonging to various "clubs".

If you want to lead the country, do it by example, and open the doors on your own institution and show there's nothing being hidden, no hidden agendas, declare all your assets and earnings, call for transparency and be transparent at the same time. Nobody is perfect, no institution is perfect, and neither is the Army, but they're a damn sight better than what any of the political parties have been able to do over the past 40 years.

My mistake.. I made a stupid assumption.

Anyway I agree that all parties are bad and of the democrats I like Korn and Abhisit.

I agree there needs to be a lot of change in all insitutions and if they catch a corrupt Democrat or military guy punish him too. I don't mind if guys of my side get caught.. actually I want all corrupt guys to be caught.

But the fact that they now go after the PTP is not a bad thing they are corrupt just because they havent caught a Democrat or army guy should they spare the PTP ?. But I want them to be caught too.

I don't like the curfew any more as you I want it to be lifted too.

Anyway I have people who support the reds (farang) that I know and drink a beer with. On a forum things always get a bit heated and some people I might really not like but in general I don't care in real life. Fact is we as foreigners don't have a say anyway.

• Like 1

After all you said in the reply to ROB, I can ask you why was not there an outcry from you everytime the PTP/Yingluck regime slipped up ???

That's an easy answer, I've wasn't a member of TVF when the Yingluck Regime were running the country into the ground, I joined here after they become a caretaker Government, I then started to do more reading and research about all the various issues, like the rice pledging scam, and the more I read about all sides, the more I became "interested"

Yes absolutely I said that the best way in which to remove Yinglucks authority was through elections, and I'll say it again, if the claims made by so many here that the majority of the Thai people wanted her out, then there's no way that she could win, and she and the PTP would have been removed through one of the democratic processes, but it was never given the chance, again I supported what Suthep was doing about the anti corruption but questioned why he of all people, who has been involved in corruption was championing that cause, I also said many many times that it was right up until they prevented the rights of those who wished to vote, that made me change my views and opinions of his cause, they become more radical and militant.

I don't believe I have ever said that Yingluck was a good PM, or Leader, or that the PTP/UDD were the right choice to follow, you see, I follow, nor support, nor have ever supported either side, as they're not worth it.. I just don't know how many times I've said that if anything, I'd support Abhisit,but all that the you see are the citicisms against the things and the party you follow, when watching a football match, just because I want one team to beat the other, doesn't mean I support either, as perhaps the reasoning for wishing them to be beaten will be good for the team that I DO support will benefit from their rivals dropping points wink.png

If there is a prize for the longest run on sentence, you win. Jesus, did the punctuation keys fall off your computer?

Normally I do'nt support the grammar polizie, but verbal and dia....... springs to mind, and get out of that gingags hoop man. You did'nt really fall for that 35 years stuff.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Definitely time for a few former ministers to go jail and have their assets confiscated to reimburse some of money looted from the taxpayer. Thailand has a lot of detailed anti-corruption legislators but they have always let the king pins slip through the net with the worst punishment possible being allowed to flee overseas and keep all ill gotten gains. So it is not surprising that corruption flourishes.

The generals are people, and people are subjective.

They will possibly do some good (and even that's subjective, in the observers' perspective), but they can't help being subjective in their decisions, thereby shielding certain people or groups from suspicion/investigation.

Will they go through legal proceedings to get things done, or will they make judgments and mete out penalties as they see fit? ...off the cuff, if you will.

I know a number of very senior police have been yellow carded -bye, bye Kamrongwitless - but as much as P is going after the political asswipes, the big point is the entire police force. Now that's a very big ass to wipe. Can't imagine how you can clean up this insidious boil on scrotum of Thailand. I'd like to know what the good general is thinking here. For most people, the main contact with corruption is the police. It touches everyone right across the social spectrum. There's cooperation between the police and the military - at the moment. But at some stage P is going to have to turn his attention to the minutae of Thai life - and that's the daily dealings with the police that touch our everyday lives. There are something like a quarter of a million police in Thailand. They are a significant factor. They have zero credibility but enormous influence. Limited intelligence, but limitless power.

How to deal with this? I'm sure many police are wondering as well. Perhaps nervously. I hope so.

• Like 1

The generals are people, and people are subjective.

They will possibly do some good (and even that's subjective, in the observers' perspective), but they can't help being subjective in their decisions, thereby shielding certain people or groups from suspicion/investigation.

Will they go through legal proceedings to get things done, or will they make judgments and mete out penalties as they see fit? ...off the cuff, if you will.

"Will they go through legal proceedings to get things done, or will they make judgments and mete out penalties as they see fit? ...off the cuff, if you will".

You're not following events. While they might be making "judgments" about who to put under the microscope, they are not operating as a court of law. No trial by junta, no verdict by junta, no sentencing by junta. Their "martial court" (as I understand it) is comprised of judges from the criminal court, not military officers.

Your comment about being subjective can only be decided by history - as does "shielding". The track record is looking good, so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

all great, but only if both sides would be held accountable... which is unlikely to happen I guess.

We shouldn’t get confused with the past, where our governments took sides and only supported their voters. The military takes no sides and does not favor any political party.

I hope that's a joke but I fear you're really being serious. Any reasonably intelligent and informed person know what political party the military favours.

Perhaps it is more along the lines of the military having less/no reason to favour a certain political party, than actively favouring another party

I guess that those who bought the GT 200 will be wetting their camouflage pants now.

As the police also bought bunches, some boys in brown pants will be needing laundred, as well. wink.png

Tell me again, which government bought the GT 200? How did that government come into power?

And any news about the Zeppelin?

The keys appear to be working, at least intermittently. I'd diagnose it as a severe case of stream of unconsciousness writing style. An apparent software or infirmware failure, not hardware.

Edited by MaxYakov

I guess that those who bought the GT 200 will be wetting their camouflage pants now.

As the police also bought bunches, some boys in brown pants will be needing laundered, as well. wink.png

Tell me again, which government bought the GT 200?

It would seem several governments bought the GT 200, beginning with:

the first Thai purchases of the GT200 occurred by the Thai Air Force in 2004, when Thaksin Shinawatra was PM

http://viewfromll2.com/tag/gt200/

• Like 2

the first Thai purchases of the GT200 occurred by the Thai Air Force in 2004, when Thaksin Shinawatra was PM

Excellent point, omitting only that an equally effective detector, the Alpha 6, was also purchased.

Wouldn't it be great if the coup commander arrested himself for buying hundreds of these .... things years after they were known to be fake?

Yes, I'm sure the coup authorities will crack down on all that corruption that's going on, so long as it's not cases involving the coup authorities. And that, right there, sums up the problem with getting rid of corruption. The dreadful McCormick person is in prison (although others are not) and both the original enabler Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana, the Thaksin flunky and very first purchaser, and Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, the most recent purchaser, are not just free but in command of our lives.

On Aug 24, 2012, the DSI asked Gen Prayuth to cooperate in a probe of GT200 purchases, but he was pretty busy and couldn't make it. A week earlier, Gen Prayuth whined about all that negative media coverage and explained that it was the media's responsibility to ignore the GT200 failure and keep insisting on knowing what happened to the billion-baht-plus he spent on them.
"The media should stop reporting on the GT200 debacle, and help us find other alternative equipment." Yes, our new master actually said that, two years ago, except now he can actually order the media what to print.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 2

As the police also bought bunches, some boys in brown pants will be needing laundered, as well.

Tell me again, which government bought the GT 200?

http://viewfromll2.com/tag/gt200/

Those small black plastic boxes which did nothing, and cost around 1 million baht each. Ah yes. You and I knew early on they were a worthless scam, but several Thai administration along with a slew of gov't, police and military brass either didn't know they were bogus or WENT AHEAD AND BOUGHT THEM ANYWAY.

Even if they functioned, what would be their value? More than a laptop computer, at Bt. 9,000 each?

The plastic box fiasco is symptomatic of how gov't and military do business. Yingluck's gov't went and spent Bt.572,000 each for clocks. How much would you or I spend on a clock to hang on a wall? Perhaps Bt.1,200.

Government expenditures are too important to be left to gov't or military. They only know how to spend waaaaay too much, and their choices of projects/equipment is suspect. But then again, who can be trusted to spend big money wisely? In a Thai perspective, I honestly cannot answer that. Mr. Korn (Abhisit's Finance Minister) is smart, but he's not even being considered for a decision-making role now.

that famous quote (was it Nixon's?):

"You can fool some people all the time. You can fool all people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time."

should be re-written for Thai leaders (in regard to the GT 200 fiasco):

"You can fool all Thai politicians and all police/military brass all the time."

The only other country which fell for the scam 'hook line and sinker'; Mexico (what were they smoking?)

How 'bout taking all the money wasted on the GT 200, and taking it from the officials who made such glaring mistakes, spread out over 10 years, and reimbursing Thai taxpayers.

When are the generals going to question Chaleum. More than once, Chaleum has claimed hepersonally knows mafia bosses, and what they're up to. The Thai public deserves to have Chaleum assist with arresting and prosecuting bad guys.

Dick Cheney was assigned, by Bush Jr., to head a committee to pick a VP candidate. After weeks of diligent searching and interviews nationwide, the committee decided on the best possible candidate: Dick Cheney.

Heh. That's very cool. Reminds me of a similar tale.

John Kerry, from 1971, repeated that all US servicemen in Vietnam were rapists murderers and guilty of major atrocities. In 2003, John Kerry embarked on a journey to find just one hero of the Vietnam war, and he found him. The war hero's name was John Kerry.

post-52815-0-92432700-1402456707_thumb.j

When are the generals going to question Chaleum. More than once, Chaleum has claimed hepersonally knows mafia bosses, and what they're up to. The Thai public deserves to have Chaleum assist with arresting and prosecuting bad guys.

Done! It's going on right now. And what would you like for your second wish?

But if I may... aren't you a little old to believe in the magic lamp and three wishes?

The only other country which fell for the scam 'hook line and sinker'; Mexico (what were they smoking?)

Heh. Do you actually believe Thailand fell for the scam? Do you think there were Thai air force generals and Gen Prayuth who fell for the scam and thought the GT200s would detect bombs? Really?

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

Those small black plastic boxes which did nothing, and cost around 1 million baht each. Ah yes. You and I knew early on they were a worthless scam, but several Thai administration along with a slew of gov't, police and military brass either didn't know they were bogus or WENT AHEAD AND BOUGHT THEM ANYWAY.

Even if they functioned, what would be their value? More than a laptop computer, at Bt. 9,000 each?

The plastic box fiasco is symptomatic of how gov't and military do business. Yingluck's gov't went and spent Bt.572,000 each for clocks. How much would you or I spend on a clock to hang on a wall? Perhaps Bt.1,200.

Government expenditures are too important to be left to gov't or military. They only know how to spend waaaaay too much, and their choices of projects/equipment is suspect. But then again, who can be trusted to spend big money wisely? In a Thai perspective, I honestly cannot answer that. Mr. Korn (Abhisit's Finance Minister) is smart, but he's not even being considered for a decision-making role now.

Not in any way a justification but let's just quash your ridiculous claim of the government buying clocks at 572,000 baht each. Complete nonsense, the clocks were bought by the office of the secretary general of parliament for a still stupidly high price of 62,500 baht each which includes a satellite link.

Heh. Do you actually believe Thailand fell for the scam? Do you think there were Thai air force generals and Gen Prayuth who fell for the scam and thought the GT200s would detect bombs? Really?
Yes.

Wrong, again.

Yinglucks govt spent 15 million baht buying 240 clocks.

15,000,000 / 240 = 625,000B per clock.

Total crooks that deserve every second of their post coup trauma.

And again and again.

The purchase was not by the government. It was by the independent (thank you military constitution of 2007) Office of the Parliament Secretary-General, not accountable to government or parliament. In fact the OPSG could not bear much scrutiny at all, the clocks being just one of its ... um, projects. It is not, however, the government.

And please get the money back on your calculator, or put in a protest to whoever paid your math teacher. It or the teacher is a magnitude off. The cost, per clock, as posted above, is 62,500 baht well over double what they are actually worth.

Which explodes yet another myth perpetuated by the Official ThaiVisa Suthep Adoration Society that corruption is 10%. That is, was and will be a total crock, and the clocks help to bust that stupid claim.

So, jaidam, ginjag would you like to get out your calculators and then come back and apologise....................

In the spirit of Happiness and Reconciliation of course.

Edited by wandasloan

Not in any way a justification but let's just quash your ridiculous claim of the government buying clocks at 572,000 baht each. Complete nonsense, the clocks were bought by the office of the secretary general of parliament for a still stupidly high price of 62,500 baht each which includes a satellite link.

Wrong, again.

Yinglucks govt spent 15 million baht buying 240 clocks.

15,000,000 / 240 = 625,000B per clock.

Total crooks that deserve every second of their post coup trauma.

15.000.000 divided by 240 equals 62.500 - well it does on MY planet.

Sorry if my answer causes you massive loss of face.

Edit: I now see that an other poster beat me to it.....

But reading that it was NOT the government that bought the clocks, offsets my disappointment.

Edited by nidieunimaitre