Adoption by mother in law

ucomservices

Somebody already has done this procedure before, I read somewhere on the thaivisa forum only. The intention is to stay with the old parent an take care of her and remove all the hindrances that are there with being a foreigner in Thailand.

This process has already been done by one individual, I read on thaivisa some time ago but am not able to trace it now.

According to me it is possible so I would like to gather all information that can be sent to me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.......

Interesting question. Thai law allows for an adult to be adopted. But an adult that is adopted will not gain Thai nationality as a result, only for a minor can the adoptive parents apply for Thai nationality of the child. The OP will have to apply under the normal regulations. Nothing would be gained but the inheritance.

• Like 2

You are truly fooling yourself...if you think this is going to make any difference as to how the Thais accept or view you in their country...nice try...but you will always be seen as an alien...

• Like 1

"Thai law allows for an adult to be adopted.----mario2008"

I am surprised about that Mario--I tried to adopt one of my wife's children some years ago, the bio father thought that he deserved some money for us putting the child in a position where she could have got a western passport & have a lot more options in her life, when she became of age. The short story to that was as the years went by he began to realize that he wouldn't be getting any money from us--but by that time she was at university & at an age where I was advised that I could no longer do this.

Maybe the wrong advice........ wub.png

• Like 1

My friend Dr. Kandis 'adopted' our hostess..supposedly. As above, ^^I don't think adults can be adopted in Thailand..

True or not, She had to file every sixty days, even with 800 K baht in the bank..

No free nationally..

I wonder if Your mom in law knows Eve, who now has a spa called Kandis' Spa above Chaing Mai

on the road to Pai..

Small world tho'

As wise as some on this page may think they are, please see a competent Thai attorney at law who can give you proper advice. I don't make any recommendation about which law firm, but I did find this on a quick Google search: http://www.chaninatandleeds.com/guide/guardianship.html

A Thailand court may appoint a guardian for a person who is declared mentally or physically incapacitated, or who for some other reason cannot take care of him or herself.
Generally, individuals must be related to the incapacitated person in question to file for guardianship. Thai law requires guardians to be natural persons, rather than juristic entities like foundations or associations.
Duties, Powers, and Rights of a Guardian
A guardian makes all legal decisions for the incapacitated person (the ward). The guardian might pay bills, manage the wards property, decide where the ward lives and make medical decisions for the ward. A guardian can also decide whom the ward associates with and how the ward may spend money.
Limited guardianship restricts the power of a guardian, allowing the ward to retain some legal rights and freedoms. A limited guardianship is often advised if a ward is still capable of making certain decisions.

If you are appointed your MIL's guardian, that may give you additional standing to stay in Thailand but don't count on it alone. Seek good legal advice. Consider once guardianship is granted requesting an opinion letter from Thai Immigration ... I am not sure if such a letter would have standing in later immigration matters, but it should help when you seek a visa renewal if you don't otherwise qualify for longer stays.

Edited by Maestro
fixed the quote tags

Truly one of the weirdest posts I have seen in a while on TV. Even if it was possible, you would then become the adopted brother of your wife making your marriage illegal and make you open to all sorts of charges and problems. Why not just get a non O visa and get the yearly extensions based on marriage like the rest of us?

• Like 1

You are truly fooling yourself...if you think this is going to make any difference as to how the Thais accept or view you in their country...nice try...but you will always be seen as an alien...

Excellent psychological assessment of someone you've never met...

• Like 2

Interesting question. Thai law allows for an adult to be adopted. But an adult that is adopted will not gain Thai nationality as a result, only for a minor can the adoptive parents apply for Thai nationality of the child. The OP will have to apply under the normal regulations. Nothing would be gained but the inheritance.

Thanks for that information! I was all a twitter in anticpation!! It's a pity that the only money MIL has is what I've given her!@%*&% sad.pngsmile.png

The intention is to stay with the old parent an take care of her and remove all the hindrances that are there with being a foreigner in Thailand.

My reading of the above is that the OP would like to be able to stay in Thailand to take care of his wife's mother in the event that his wife should die before her mother and he himself die. This is a noble intention, in my view. With adoption, if possible, not giving him an nationality or immigration status advantage and wishing him and his mother-in-law a long life, he should hopefully be old enough for the retirement extension if an and when the event in question should occur.

The intention is to stay with the old parent an take care of her and remove all the hindrances that are there with being a foreigner in Thailand.

My reading of the above is that the OP would like to be able to stay in Thailand to take care of his wife's mother in the event that his wife should die before her mother and he himself die. This is a noble intention, in my view. With adoption, if possible, not giving him an nationality or immigration status advantage and wishing him and his mother-in-law a long life, he should hopefully be old enough for the retirement extension if an and when the event in question should occur.

total crock the poster seems to me is short of funds, not a crime I might add, , but get real.

You have a vivid imagination, noble indeed but removed from reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Those who diagnose others as foolish, are sometimes masking their own.

and an ATM.